Sunday Night Blues?
I spent some time this afternoon with a guy who still works. He doesn't like his job...never has. Feels stuck and never felt he could shift to something else. He said he gets "blue" on Sunday evenings, thinking of going in to work on Monday morning. 

I was so lucky. I never felt that way and sometimes was even eager to get to work when we were involved in a project more unusual and interesting than most. Not every day was great, but most were good. The pay was decent and I was treated with respect. 

My god how the world has turned. Too many people now feel trapped and too many even working more than one job to make ends meet. Regular life can kick our ass, we never know what's around the bend and we should have the chance to have meaningful jobs that pays a decent wage and doesn't make us dread going to work.

I hope we can make America great again. I know who can't. I hope we can do something about that.
I now how it feels to hate the job you have. I've had some like that. I would wake up in the morning and the first thought in my head was "how can I get out of working today". Everyday.

I guess I was fortunate to have been able to go back to school, get more education and find a job that I've enjoyed doing most days (don't tell my employer though).

I wish everyone could be so fortunate. The problem is some jobs just aren't very likeable but someone has to do them.
(11-19-2017, 11:35 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I now how it feels to hate the job you have. I've had some like that. I would wake up in the morning and the first thought in my head was "how can I get out of working today". Everyday.

I guess I was fortunate to have been able to go back to school, get more education and find a job that I've enjoyed doing most days (don't tell my employer though).

I wish everyone could be so fortunate. The problem is some jobs just aren't very likeable but someone has to do them.
So true! And it "breaks my heart" because I come from a different time when if a person was willing to work, willing to learn, and respected work, it was there for the having. 
No so much these days. 
I'm glad to hear you have work you respect and it sounds like they respect you. I hope both your and the people you work for thrive.
I had a job like that for 15 years and 1 day. I still have nightmares that startle me awake with the heart pounding as recent as last week. That "job" ended more than 10 years ago.  Sad I prefer "working" as opposed to going to a job. It sounds like what you did Wonky.  Smiling
(11-19-2017, 11:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I had a job like that for 15 years and 1 day. I still have nightmares that startle me awake with the heart pounding as recent as last week. That "job" ended more than 10 years ago.  Sad I prefer "working" as opposed to going to a job. It sounds like what you did Wonky.  Smiling

Wow: 15 years. Long time "in the mine". 
Yes, I was plain lucky! Came out of the military dumber than a sack of hair, got a laborer's job with a gas and electric company and stayed for 35 years. They were kind enough to send me to a couple of schools and taught me me ass from a hole in the ground. Then, like a real dummy I gave up the perfect job in the field to go into a 24/7, 365 Operations Office for the last 15 years. An office with only one window that never saw the light of day. It was interesting work, challenging, (above my pay grade) but all things considered I was an "outside guy" and missed it every day.
As a union electrician I worked for many different people and many different types of jobs.
Some were horrible to me and I dreaded going to work every day.
And then later in my career even working for the same outfit I basically burned out on doing what I did best.
Service work.
I had always intended to start my own company but the older I got the more money I made. Until it seemed like there was no reason to add to my work day when I already pulled down almost $35 an hour and after 8 hours you were DONE until the next day.
I quit because of the 2007 recession. I was technically laid off. So I basically started a buying and selling business with the help of a fat unemployment check every week. Like a small business loan LOL.
By the time my unemployment ran out I was making as much as I did as an electrician and for me it was very enjoyable because I created it and I like doing it.
And still do. Smiling
(11-20-2017, 05:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: As a union electrician I worked for many different people and many different types of jobs.
Some were horrible to me and I dreaded going to work every day.
And then later in my career even working for the same outfit I basically burned out on doing what I did best.
Service work.
I had always intended to start my own company but the older I got the more money I made. Until it seemed like there was no reason to add to my work day when I already pulled down almost $35 an hour and after 8 hours you were DONE until the next day.
I quit because of the 2007 recession. I was technically laid off. So I basically started a buying and selling business with the help of a fat unemployment check every week. Like a small business loan LOL.
By the time my unemployment ran out I was making as much as I did as an electrician and for me it was very enjoyable because I created it and I like doing it.
And still do. Smiling
Great that you found something that not only fills the space but is something you enjoy. You must have a knack for it...most folks who do it either go broke or make money. But I think your future is in teaching people how to demolish shelving units.  Razz
No blues here! Flew into Honolulu today. Spending the next few days in Waikiki. This is the view from our lanai this evening....
[Image: b404c740f87e474fa6f6cb45197ac74c.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(11-26-2017, 11:55 PM)Scrapper Wrote: No blues here! Flew into Honolulu today.  Spending the next few days in Waikiki. This is the view from our lanai this evening....

Looks like it was taken from the plane.  Smiling

Edit to fix up the photo. Yes I'm bored.  Smiling
(11-27-2017, 12:40 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(11-26-2017, 11:55 PM)Scrapper Wrote: No blues here! Flew into Honolulu today.  Spending the next few days in Waikiki. This is the view from our lanai this evening....

So happy for you Scrapper. "The Islands" apparently one of your favorite playgrounds.

When you return home, you will not have to go to work Monday morning at Harry & Davids packing pear after pear into boxes after boxes. I won't have to do that either, and was lucky enough to not have to endure those "Sunday Night Blues" we have discussed here.
But so many of our fellow working people do. But, we can't change that and many people stuck in those kind of jobs probably made poor choices that left them with not other options. Others, just victims of circumstance . 

I want to remain thankful for the opportunities I had, and try to be aware of those who face those "Sunday Night Blues" and cut them some slack when on occasion I bump into someone with negative attitudes who may disturb my life for a minute or so. 

Many working people will never get to fly to "The Islands" or even take a trip to Disneyland. I want to remember I'm part of a wider community, and be considerate of others. And if that "consideration" requires I pay slightly higher taxes to provide services to folks who need it, I'm willing to do it. Adequate affordable healthcare comes to mind. 

Untold numbers of people will face those "Sunday Night Blues". If we can grease the skids even a little, I hope we will consider it.

12th floor.

What are you using to edit the pic? It looks like you just increased the brightness.The first thing I go to on a pic like that is color saturation and then contrast.
Check these two out......

[Image: 24ozgps.jpg]

[Image: 2nibplk.jpg]
(11-27-2017, 05:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What are you using to edit the pic? It looks like you just increased the brightness.The first thing I go to on a pic like that is color saturation and then contrast.

Now THAT makes me blue.  Razz
(11-27-2017, 06:25 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Meaning? Cuz you aint there?
(11-27-2017, 06:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 06:25 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Meaning? Cuz you aint there?

What, what? I was dozing and not paying attention.   Razz
I used to look forward to my job... not any more. Burn out.
(11-27-2017, 07:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: I  used to look forward to my job... not any more.  Burn out.

23 years and still get up early and happy to go to work.  Looking forward (and fast) to retirement (early), but still love my job.
(11-27-2017, 07:13 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 07:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: I  used to look forward to my job... not any more.  Burn out.

23 years and still get up early and happy to go to work.  Looking forward (and fast) to retirement (early), but still love my job.

I get the impression (feeling really) you are some kind of civil engineer. If that's the case, it's a great job because it throws new challenges at you almost daily and they're NEVER the same. Pretty good work if you've got a good group of people around you.  Cool
(11-27-2017, 08:37 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

I get the impression (feeling really) you are some kind of civil engineer. If that's the case, it's a great job because it throws new challenges at you almost daily and they're NEVER the same. Pretty good work if you've got a good group of people around you.  Cool
Naw, he cleans Port-Potties.  Laughing 
I know what he does but the CIA guys would kill me if I revealed it. (He hasn't broken a sweat in years)
And yes Hugo, no matter how much you enjoy your work, by all means retire at the earliest possible moment. I liked my job too, but they offered me a deal at age 57 and I jumped at it. It cost me just a bit, but I've never been sorry. The days dwindle down to a precious few and you should be doing exactly the things you most want to do.

That begs the question.. why retire early? When you say that do you mean at 62?

I think your jobs differs than my job or maybe anyone in construction.
It's never the same. Some jobs suck and sometimes whomever is you boss on site can make it painful to work for when it didn't need to be..