Binge Watching Series
Do we already have a thread for this? If so, sorry.

I started watching 'GODLESS" on Netflix. 

So...some of us here like Spam. Others don't. Proving taste matters. 

Godless may be like Spam. It is holding my attention, and if not perfect it's a good break from reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, cleaning ear wax, removing unwanted Cookies from my browser, or cleaning cat hair from my favorite chair. 

If interested, check out the cast. And, for those who watched "Downton Abby" you will find the actress who played the elder daughter in a very different role (and IMHO doing a bang-up job). 

PS: Jeff Daniels is part of the cast: Does he just get better and better as he ages? I think so. Also, Sam Waterston just keeps going, doing good work in this too.
Godless is on our list to try as soon as we finish up the final season of Longmire.
(11-27-2017, 10:21 AM)GPnative Wrote: Godless is on our list to try as soon as we finish up the final season of Longmire.

What's you opinion of the Longmire series? I watched the first two seasons and got the feeling the plots were starting to repeat. Maybe just my take on it, and I did enjoy the Wyoming countryside...not filmed in Wyoming  Smiling ..not that it matters. 

I'll be interested in your opinion of GODLESS if you get around to it.
(11-27-2017, 12:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 10:21 AM)GPnative Wrote: Godless is on our list to try as soon as we finish up the final season of Longmire.

What's you opinion of the Longmire series? I watched the first two seasons and got the feeling the plots were starting to repeat. Maybe just my take on it, and I did enjoy the Wyoming countryside...not filmed in Wyoming  Smiling ..not that it matters. 

We love the series (longmire) There have a been a few easily forgiven plot/story lameness issues because they keep a lot of new whodunit type investigations going episode to episode, while still having story arches that continue through the run of the series. But we have really enjoyed it. The first 4 seasons (I think it was 4) were on broadcast TV, (A&E) When Netflix took it over for the recent seasons, the show got much better, IMO.
(11-27-2017, 02:26 PM)GPnative Wrote:

We love the series (longmire) There have a been a few easily forgiven plot/story lameness issues because they keep a lot of new whodunit type investigations going episode to episode, while still having story arches that continue through the run of the series. But we have really enjoyed it. The first 4 seasons (I think it was 4) were on broadcast TV, (A&E) When Netflix took it over for the recent seasons, the show got much better, IMO.
Ah Ha! Good to know your feelings about it after Netflix took it over. I'll go back and catch up with it. Thanks.
(11-27-2017, 09:08 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Do we already have a thread for this? If so, sorry.

I started watching 'GODLESS" on Netflix. 

So...some of us here like Spam. Others don't. Proving taste matters. 

Godless may be like Spam. It is holding my attention, and if not perfect it's a good break from reading, doing jigsaw puzzles, cleaning ear wax, removing unwanted Cookies from my browser, or cleaning cat hair from my favorite chair. 

If interested, check out the cast. And, for those who watched "Downton Abby" you will find the actress who played the elder daughter in a very different role (and IMHO doing a bang-up job). 

PS: Jeff Daniels is part of the cast: Does he just get better and better as he ages? I think so. Also, Sam Waterston just keeps going, doing good work in this too.

Jeff Daniels is part of the cast: Does he just get better and better as he ages?

If you say so LOL. For me he had no where to go but improve.

Bill Pullman is the same IMO.

What's you opinion of the Longmire series?

It was OK and then it seemed to get more and more lame. For whatever reason the networks dumped the show. I don't get it with direct TV or I would still watch it.

I think the fact that Lou Diamond Phillips can't speak using a contraction is a stupid way to make him sound like an Indian Laughing Laughing
(11-27-2017, 04:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It was OK and then it seemed to get more and more lame. For whatever reason the networks dumped the show. I don't get it with direct TV or I would still watch it.

I think the fact that Lou Diamond Phillips can't speak using a contraction is a stupid way to make him sound like an Indian Laughing Laughing
Yeah, I heard what someone claimed was an explanation of that. We didn't start using contractions often until the early 1900's. The Indians were taught by teachers who didn't use them and the "culture" has been passed down without change. Beats me: Kind of lame, but the person who I heard talk about that was some kind expert about all things Native American. (or so he claimed)
(11-27-2017, 06:21 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 04:20 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah, I heard what someone claimed was an explanation of that. We didn't start using contractions often until the early 1900's. The Indians were taught by teachers who didn't use them and the "culture" has been passed down without change. Beats me: Kind of lame, but the person who I heard talk about that was some kind expert about all things Native American. (or so he claimed)
What you said makes sense as to why some natives don't use contractions. But you said...and the "culture" has been passed down without change.

I totally doubt that is true for very many NA's

Funny I googled this and I'm not the only one bothered by that.....

[b]Longmire - do Cheyenne really talk like that?

[/b]

On the TV show Longmire, the character of Henry Standing Bear speaks with a certain rhythm and does not use contractions. He sounds like Tonto after learning to use pronouns. It makes him sound wise and slightly mystical.

Is that authentic? It kind of bugs me. I would be able to relax and enjoy the show better if it turned out to be an authentic regional/ethnic linguistic quirk.
[Image: quote.gif]

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Other Waldo Pepper [Image: viewpost.gif]
What's really going to jar you is, they've got tons of Native Americans on the show, and AFAICT the rest of 'em lack that affectation -- [i]even when they're talking with him.[/i]
been noticing that

Frankly, I can forgive that in old shows like the Lone Ranger. But we should be way past that sort of thing now.

This was on a message board about Longmire. I thought it was funny

Longmire may have just crossed the line for me. TV and movies are always overusing the chk-chck sound effect of jacking a round into the chamber of pump shotgun. They use it for EVERYTHING. In this episode Longmire hears the chk-chk behind him and turns to see a guy with a side-by-side double barrel shotgun, a gun that doesn't make any sound but boom! Uggh!!!

[Image: quote.gif]
Binge watching is awesome, till the show ends. Big Grin
(11-27-2017, 07:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: Binge watching is awesome, till the show ends. Big Grin

I only do it for The Ranch
(11-27-2017, 07:16 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(11-27-2017, 07:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: Binge watching is awesome, till the show ends. Big Grin

I'll have a look. I'll watch anything with Sam Elliot.

I also enjoyed watching The Ranch. However, I don't know if I'll be able to continue watching unless/until the allegations against Danny Masterson, a devout Scientologist, are adequately addresssed. The allegations pre-date all of the hoopla that is currently all the rage in Hollywood. There is plenty to find on the story. Just Google "Danny Materson sexual assault." The Church of Scientology has a long history of the alleged shelving of investigations, (involving the church), by the LAPD.
I finished 'Godless" (7 episodes) and I think it's worth the time if for no other reason to see the landscape. They were really attentive to making this a feast for the eyes. 
Bloody as hell! 
I say, two thumbs up. (But, like Spam, it's all about taste)
(11-28-2017, 06:11 AM)GCG Wrote:

I also enjoyed watching The Ranch. However, I don't know if I'll be able to continue watching unless/until the allegations against Danny Masterson, a devout Scientologist, are adequately addresssed. The allegations pre-date all of the hoopla that is currently all the rage in Hollywood. There is plenty to find on the story. Just Google "Danny Materson sexual assault." The Church of Scientology has a long history of the alleged shelving of investigations, (involving the church), by the LAPD.
Danny fired by Netflix.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...tions.html
(11-28-2017, 12:21 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I'll have a look. I'll watch anything with Sam Elliot.

We watch The Ranch as well.  Thumbs Up

Follow up:

Danny Masterson Fired From The Ranch by Netflix in Wake of Rape Allegations

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/dann...42397.html

To be clear, Masterson has not been convcited of anything and, honestly, I hope that no one was raped. But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to see Scientology take a hit.
(12-05-2017, 04:38 PM)GCG Wrote:

Follow up:

To be clear, Masterson has not been convcited of anything and, honestly, I hope that no one was raped. But I'd be lying if I said that I didn't want to see Scientology take a hit.

Yeah, Two posts up I posted that today.
(12-05-2017, 06:50 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-05-2017, 04:38 PM)GCG Wrote:

Follow up:

Yeah, Two posts up I posted that today.

Yeah, I missed that.