Hey, John Grisham Fans...
(12-03-2017, 08:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, watch what you will, as long as you want. 

Or read what you will, as much as you want.

I had an opinion, I expressed it, and you (others) had your say. Anything more would be repeating points already made. 

So, maybe next year Harvard and Yale will burn their books (who needs 'em) and teach with only documentaries and video. Good luck when they get around to teaching ethics or rhetoric.

And I will continue to watch documentaries and videos when it's the format that best suits the need. For as long as I can see and comprehend I'll be reading books. 

We done here?

Yes. Now that you've had the last word.
Actually, YOU have (so far) had the last word.  Laughing
(12-03-2017, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 08:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, watch what you will, as long as you want. 

I had an opinion, I expressed it, and you (others) had your say. Anything more would be repeating points already made. 

So, maybe next year Harvard and Yale will burn their books (who needs 'em) and teach with only documentaries and video. Good luck when they get around to teaching ethics or rhetoric.

And I will continue to watch documentaries and videos when it's the format that best suits the need. For as long as I can see and comprehend I'll be reading books. 

We done here?

Yes. Now that you've had the last word.
Actually, YOU have (so far) had the last word.  Laughing

Oh yeah?   Laughing

We done here?
You are such a fucking jerk.. NO one said anything close to not using books to teach or that you or ANYONE should not read them.
This is another case of the straw man arguments you like to make. YOU changed what the debate was really about to suit yourself and now you are just being a dick.
(12-03-2017, 08:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We done here?
You are such a fucking jerk.. NO one said anything close to not using books to teach or that you or ANYONE should not read them.
This is another case of the straw man arguments you like to make. YOU changed what the debate was really about to suit yourself and now you are just being a dick.

When all else fails, call the person who does not agree "a dick". Sounds like a line from a movie.  Laughing
"no... YOU hang up...."
(12-04-2017, 11:10 AM)Hugo Wrote: "no... YOU hang up...."
You are nothing in not cryptic.  Rolling Eyes

(By they way, you never did get back to us about why you thought we were "drinking the cool aid" with regard to the tax bill now about to be law. 
Many of us gave specific criticisms of what we feel are failings of that bill and were looking forward to you explaining it's many merits.)
(12-02-2017, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 03:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Everyone (well, lots of us) from time to time need the escape of "mind candy" fiction to chase away the reality of life. I used to find it in John Grisham books. I liked A Time To Kill, The Firm ( Really Enjoyed Rainmaker and Playing For Pizza) and read most of them up to, and including Sycamore Row". I think he "mailed In Sycamore Row and I decided I didn't need any more Grisham mind candy. I haven't read any of this stuff since. 
That said: 
He wrote a nonfiction book that I thought was brilliant! An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town, that I think I'll always remember. Grisham said he would never do another one like it, that nonfiction was too damn much work because of all the research and time necessary. With fiction, he just sits in a room alone and makes up the facts as he want them to be.
Whatever: Should you be looking for a good read during these long winter days, I'd suggest you give this (An Innocent Man) a look. 
Or not.
We all have different tastes and already I can hear TVGuy say why bother, he'll watch the movie.  Smiling

An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town,

Wonky there are so many TV shows about the same thing it's ridiculous. 48 hours, dateline. There is also show called "cold cases".
These TV shows often interview the actual person, the actual victims, witnesses, police, detectives, district attorneys.
  They are normally one hour shows and probably have 20 minutes of commercials I fast forward. Hell I even FF through some of the actual show.

To each his own but there's no way I could read a book for hours and hours when I already know the outcome.
How long does it take to read a book like that? Who know if the guy is a Truman Capote I might read the whole thing Big Grin

I dunno...I liked Jeff Guinn's book on Manson. He made a pretty clear case against the Helter Skelter/ultimate evil theory, which I thought was preposterous anyway, and it was a relief in an small way to see it expained in a way that made more sense in the way I view Manson. So, occasionally I will like this sort of thing...I have to have an interest in the story to get into those.
(12-04-2017, 11:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Made sense to me.
(12-04-2017, 12:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Made sense to me.

Yep...  Wonky, would it have made more sense if I told you and TV to "get a room"?  Your constant bickering is getting old, by the way.
(12-04-2017, 12:53 PM)Hugo Wrote:

Made sense to me.

Yep...  Wonky, would it have made more sense if I told you and TV to "get a room"?  Your constant bickering is getting old, by the way.
Well...certainly don't want to upset your delicate system so I'll try to refrain from bickering. 
(And, are you going to respond about the "Tax Issue"?) 

Note to Juniper: I'm dense. Explain "No, YOU hang up". I've seen that in romantic movies when lovers can't disconnect from telephone conversations, but can't for the life of me see that context here. The ongoing conversation between TVguy and me (and others) was not at all like a lovers telephone flirtation.
(12-04-2017, 12:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 03:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Everyone (well, lots of us) from time to time need the escape of "mind candy" fiction to chase away the reality of life. I used to find it in John Grisham books. I liked A Time To Kill, The Firm ( Really Enjoyed Rainmaker and Playing For Pizza) and read most of them up to, and including Sycamore Row". I think he "mailed In Sycamore Row and I decided I didn't need any more Grisham mind candy. I haven't read any of this stuff since. 
That said: 
He wrote a nonfiction book that I thought was brilliant! An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town, that I think I'll always remember. Grisham said he would never do another one like it, that nonfiction was too damn much work because of all the research and time necessary. With fiction, he just sits in a room alone and makes up the facts as he want them to be.
Whatever: Should you be looking for a good read during these long winter days, I'd suggest you give this (An Innocent Man) a look. 
Or not.
We all have different tastes and already I can hear TVGuy say why bother, he'll watch the movie.  Smiling

An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town,

Wonky there are so many TV shows about the same thing it's ridiculous. 48 hours, dateline. There is also show called "cold cases".
These TV shows often interview the actual person, the actual victims, witnesses, police, detectives, district attorneys.
  They are normally one hour shows and probably have 20 minutes of commercials I fast forward. Hell I even FF through some of the actual show.

To each his own but there's no way I could read a book for hours and hours when I already know the outcome.
How long does it take to read a book like that? Who know if the guy is a Truman Capote I might read the whole thing Big Grin

I dunno...I liked Jeff Guinn's book on Manson. He made a pretty clear case against the Helter Skelter/ultimate evil theory, which I thought was preposterous anyway, and it was a relief in an small way to see it expained in a way that made more sense in the way I view Manson. So, occasionally I will like this sort of thing...I have to have an interest in the story to get into those.
Sure, makes sense to me. I guess it all depends on a persons interest in the subject. Like I said, for me some " murder, injustice in a small town" sounds like the title of a hundred TV shows I've seen.
But IF I was really interested in a specific person as you are with Manson that would be different.

Made sense to me.
Me too Big Grin
(12-04-2017, 01:33 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Made sense to me.

Well...certainly don't want to upset your delicate system so I'll try to refrain from bickering. 

Note to Juniper: I'm dense. Explain "No, YOU hang up". I've seen that in romantic movies when lovers can't disconnect from telephone conversations, but can't for the life of me see that context here. The ongoing conversation between TVguy and me (and others) was not at all like a lovers telephone flirtation.

Yep, you answered it yourself.  Only it's not "love", it's both of you having the incessant need to get the last word.  Now.... YOU hang up.....  I'll let you.
(12-04-2017, 02:52 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are nothing in not cryptic.  Rolling Eyes

Made sense to me.

Yep, you answered it yourself.  Only it's not "love", it's both of you having the incessant need to get the last word.  Now.... YOU hang up.....  I'll let you.

it's both of you having the incessant need to get the last word. 

Maybe somewhat. For me it's my stubborn nature and relentless effort to make him understand my point. And you are right I should give up much sooner. Or at this point just stop trying.

Made sense to me.

Pretty much like Larry said.  You do always have to have the last word. It's like compulsion or something....So, it's just the same thing...like to romantics on the phone saying goodbye..."Bye honey, now hang up."  "No, no!   You hang up!"  It's hard because sometimes I get caught up in this dynamic also.  Anyway, it was not cryptic to me. I understood what it was.
(12-04-2017, 07:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-04-2017, 11:28 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: You are nothing in not cryptic.  Rolling Eyes

Made sense to me.

Pretty much like Larry said.  You do always have to have the last word. It's like compulsion or something....So, it's just the same thing...like to romantics on the phone saying goodbye..."Bye honey, now hang up."  "No, no!   You hang up!"  It's hard because sometimes I get caught up in this dynamic also.  Anyway, it was not cryptic to me. I understood what it was.

I, too, understood it.