Hey, John Grisham Fans...
Everyone (well, lots of us) from time to time need the escape of "mind candy" fiction to chase away the reality of life. I used to find it in John Grisham books. I liked A Time To Kill, The Firm ( Really Enjoyed Rainmaker and Playing For Pizza) and read most of them up to, and including Sycamore Row". I think he "mailed In Sycamore Row and I decided I didn't need any more Grisham mind candy. I haven't read any of this stuff since. 
That said: 
He wrote a nonfiction book that I thought was brilliant! An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town, that I think I'll always remember. Grisham said he would never do another one like it, that nonfiction was too damn much work because of all the research and time necessary. With fiction, he just sits in a room alone and makes up the facts as he want them to be.
Whatever: Should you be looking for a good read during these long winter days, I'd suggest you give this (An Innocent Man) a look. 
Or not.
We all have different tastes and already I can hear TVGuy say why bother, he'll watch the movie.  Smiling
(12-02-2017, 03:47 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Everyone (well, lots of us) from time to time need the escape of "mind candy" fiction to chase away the reality of life. I used to find it in John Grisham books. I liked A Time To Kill, The Firm ( Really Enjoyed Rainmaker and Playing For Pizza) and read most of them up to, and including Sycamore Row". I think he "mailed In Sycamore Row and I decided I didn't need any more Grisham mind candy. I haven't read any of this stuff since. 
That said: 
He wrote a nonfiction book that I thought was brilliant! An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town, that I think I'll always remember. Grisham said he would never do another one like it, that nonfiction was too damn much work because of all the research and time necessary. With fiction, he just sits in a room alone and makes up the facts as he want them to be.
Whatever: Should you be looking for a good read during these long winter days, I'd suggest you give this (An Innocent Man) a look. 
Or not.
We all have different tastes and already I can hear TVGuy say why bother, he'll watch the movie.  Smiling

An Innocent Man: Murder and injustice in a small town,

Wonky there are so many TV shows about the same thing it's ridiculous. 48 hours, dateline. There is also show called "cold cases".
These TV shows often interview the actual person, the actual victims, witnesses, police, detectives, district attorneys.
  They are normally one hour shows and probably have 20 minutes of commercials I fast forward. Hell I even FF through some of the actual show.

To each his own but there's no way I could read a book for hours and hours when I already know the outcome.
How long does it take to read a book like that? Who know if the guy is a Truman Capote I might read the whole thing Big Grin
You try and try to start up conversations here about books and from what I see you don't get a whole lot of action.

There must be Facebook forums for readers like you. Have you considered that?
(12-02-2017, 04:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: You try and try to start up conversations here about books and from what I see you don't get a whole lot of action.

Yer Right! I know Tia reads, but I guess there are not many readers here. So, I should just shut it down. 

I don't share your views about this (and you don't mine) but we are each entitled to our own opinions. Films (videos, etc) are great and You Tube can be handy but if your are ever curious about Ohm's law or the study of anxiety disorders you best be willing to pick up a book. 

And I'm a member of Goodreads, so yes, I have other places to discuss books.
(12-02-2017, 04:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 04:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: You try and try to start up conversations here about books and from what I see you don't get a whole lot of action.

Yer Right! I know Tia reads, but I guess there are not many readers here. So, I should just shut it down. 

I don't share your views about this (and you don't mine) but we are each entitled to our own opinions. Films (videos, etc) are great and You Tube can be handy but if your are ever curious about Ohm's law or the study of anxiety disorders you best be willing to pick up a book. 

but if your are ever curious about Ohm's law or the study of anxiety disorders you best be willing to pick up a book.

Yeah a TEXT book. I agree. And unless I'm wrong you don't read those and call them mind candy. Sheesh I'm not Hitler I know books are great for certain things. Big Grin
Leveling a table. Getting a suspect to confess. Looking up tel numbers, Oh wait no one does that anymore LOL
(12-02-2017, 06:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

but if your are ever curious about Ohm's law or the study of anxiety disorders you best be willing to pick up a book.

Yeah a TEXT book. I agree. And unless I'm wrong you don't read those and call them mind candy. Sheesh I'm not Hitler I know books are great for certain things. Big Grin
Leveling a table. Getting a suspect to confess. Looking up tel numbers, Oh wait no one does that anymore LOL

Ohm's Law is an approximation. It is only good to about 5 decimal places (at room temperature) . After that current starts to become non linear with applied voltage. It's even worse at colder temperatures.
(12-02-2017, 07:48 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Ohm's Law is an approximation. It is only good to about 5 decimal places (at room temperature) . After that current starts to become non linear with applied voltage. It's even worse at colder temperatures.

And still very useful for those working with plain old electric problems.

Not necessary a text book. The "discovery" of electricity and ways to apply it to useful applications is more than a text book interest. The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice. Still...not required and your resistance is noted. By the way, should you want or need to learn about anxiety disorders you will almost have to do some reading. But what am I doing here? Do as you will, with what got you where you are. 
But consider this:
“For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography, and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time.” 

― Louis L'Amour

You remind me of all the worthless information I was forced to learn in apprenticeship school. Smiling

Not Ohm's law but what you just said about it. OK it's an approximation. But it's all I ever needed and I bet the same for most people 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

I remember what you are talking about.I forget the term for it because I haven't needed to know about it for the last 35 years. Basically the fact is that some conductors actually become BETTER conductors when they get hot.
As opposed to MOST that become worse conductors as they get hot.
(12-02-2017, 09:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You remind me of all the worthless information I was forced to learn in apprenticeship school. Smiling

Not Ohm's law but what you just said about it. OK it's an approximation. But it's all I ever needed and I bet the same for most people 99.99999999999999999999999999999999% of the time.

I remember what you are talking about.I forget the term for it because I haven't needed to know about it for the last 35 years. Basically the fact is that some conductors actually become BETTER conductors when they get hot.
As opposed to MOST that become worse conductors as they get hot.

So NOT the point. 
Never mind.  Wink
John Grisham knows more about electricity than you might think.
(12-02-2017, 08:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

Not necessary a text book. The "discovery" of electricity and ways to apply it to useful applications is more than a text book interest. The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice. Still...not required and your resistance is noted. By the way, should you want or need to learn about anxiety disorders you will almost have to do some reading. But what am I doing here? Do as you will, with what got you where you are. 
But consider this:
“For one who reads, there is no limit to the number of lives that may be lived, for fiction, biography, and history offer an inexhaustible number of lives in many parts of the world, in all periods of time.” 

― Louis L'Amour

The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice.

I'm sorry but that is simply bullshit

[Image: 2dqj8ut.jpg]

But what am I doing here?

Mostly trying to make the case that books are the bomb and any movie or documentary's are second fiddle as a way to learn.

And to make that point You quote an author? What would one expect a guy who sells books to say? And a guy born in 1908
(12-03-2017, 03:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:

But consider this:

― Louis L'Amour

Mostly trying to make the case that books are the bomb and any movie or documentary's are second fiddle as a way to learn.

And to make that point You quote an author? What would one expect a guy who sells books to say? And a guy born in 1908

Actually I sort of agree with Wonky to a point. If you want the entertaining story watch a documentary. If you're after the details you'd likely be better off reading a book. A book can have much more information then can be covered in even an hour long documentary. That's not to say they always do though.

So to each they're own I guess.
I don't need any more information. I'm in overload mode.
(12-03-2017, 06:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 04:46 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Yer Right! I know Tia reads, but I guess there are not many readers here. So, I should just shut it down. 

But consider this:

― Louis L'Amour

Actually I sort of agree with Wonky to a point. If you want the entertaining story watch a documentary. If you're after the details you'd likely be better off reading a book. A book can have much more information then can be covered in even an hour long documentary. That's not to say they always do though.

I agree with you and I don't think I've ever disagreed that if you want the details you'd likely be better off reading a book. I even said text books are the best for info.

I haven't ever said that books are bad in any way. It's Wonky who can't seem to agree that a documentary or a movie or even TV doesn't have value and can't also be an excellent learning tool

. A book can have much more information then can be covered in even an hour long documentary.

Well of course it takes 10 times longer to read the book?  Wink  What if you watched 10 hours of a documentary?

I read the book Lonesome Dove. I also watched the entire 6 1/2 hour mini series. I guess some people liked the book better. I sure as hell didn't. So yes, to each his own.

Hell I'm an electrician I read all about Tesla YEARS ago. But I have seen movies and documentaries about him that I enjoyed a lot more than just reading about him.
But according to Wonky The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice.

Really ?? "ONLY reading" ? See that's the disagreement I have with Wonky.
(12-03-2017, 06:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 06:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: but if your are ever curious about Ohm's law or the study of anxiety disorders you best be willing to pick up a book.

But consider this:

― Louis L'Amour

I agree with you and I don't think I've ever disagreed that if you want the details you'd likely be better off reading a book. I even said text books are the best for info.

I haven't ever said that books are bad in any way. It's Wonky who can't seem to agree that a documentary or a movie or even TV doesn't have value and can't also be an excellent learning tool

. A book can have much more information then can be covered in even an hour long documentary.

Well of course it takes 10 times longer to read the book?  Wink  What if you watched 10 hours of a documentary?

I read the book Lonesome Dove. I also watched the entire 6 1/2 hour mini series. I guess some people liked the book better. I sure as hell didn't. So yes, to each his own.

Hell I'm an electrician I read all about Tesla YEARS ago. But I have seen movies and documentaries about him that I enjoyed a lot more than just reading about him.
But according to Wonky The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice.

OK. I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. For myself, sometimes I like to read and sometimes watch a video.
(12-03-2017, 06:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-03-2017, 06:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-02-2017, 08:01 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: Not necessary a text book. The "discovery" of electricity and ways to apply it to useful applications is more than a text book interest. The story of Nicola Tesla is fascinating and only reading will do it justice. Still...not required and your resistance is noted. By the way, should you want or need to learn about anxiety disorders you will almost have to do some reading. But what am I doing here? Do as you will, with what got you where you are. 
But consider this:

― Louis L'Amour

OK. I wouldn't disagree with anything you said. For myself, sometimes I like to read and sometimes watch a video.

When I spent a few days in a hospital I would have gone crazy without something to read.Before I retired I actually stopped reading because I could never put the book down and I would always stay up too late LOL.
I think I'm more impatient now and I want the quick fix and opposed to the slow fix.
I. Can't see well enough to read books anymore...
I keep ending up back at Mike Mulligan and his Steam Shovel And Babar.
I was always a Pom, Flora, and Alexander fan.
So, watch what you will, as long as you want. 

Or read what you will, as much as you want.

I had an opinion, I expressed it, and you (others) had your say. Anything more would be repeating points already made. 

So, maybe next year Harvard and Yale will burn their books (who needs 'em) and teach with only documentaries and video. Good luck when they get around to teaching ethics or rhetoric.

And I will continue to watch documentaries and videos when it's the format that best suits the need. For as long as I can see and comprehend I'll be reading books. 

We done here?
(12-03-2017, 07:29 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, watch what you will, as long as you want. 

Or read what you will, as much as you want.

I had an opinion, I expressed it, and you (others) had your say. Anything more would be repeating points already made. 

So, maybe next year Harvard and Yale will burn their books (who needs 'em) and teach with only documentaries and video. Good luck when they get around to teaching ethics or rhetoric.

And I will continue to watch documentaries and videos when it's the format that best suits the need. For as long as I can see and comprehend I'll be reading books. 

We done here?

Yes. Now that you've had the last word.