Trends
This a pretty fluffy topic. What are the trends?  It has recently come to bubbling to my consciousness that avocado toast is a 'trend'.  Specifically a Millennial trend. Now I see it in weird mentions like:  "If you want to own your own home, stop buying avocado toast!"  Hmmm...I'm out of the loop on this trend. Is this something that's being sold at coffee stands or something? I've made avocado toast all my life. Nothing fancy. Pretty basic  home home food.  But then, so was coffee at one time.
(12-16-2017, 12:09 PM)Juniper Wrote: This a pretty fluffy topic. What are the trends?  It has recently come to bubbling to my consciousness that avocado toast is a 'trend'.  Specifically a Millennial trend. Now I see it in weird mentions like:  "If you want to own your own home, stop buying avocado toast!"  Hmmm...I'm out of the loop on this trend. Is this something that's being sold at coffee stands or something? I've made avocado toast all my life. Nothing fancy. Pretty basic  home home food.  But then, so was coffee at one time.

I don't believe I've heard anyone utter the words avocado toast before now.   Laughing
I see this a lot lately. I think it means if you get caught looking at it you are an asshole LOL

What does the upside down OK hand gesture mean?

Based on an old game that kids used to play (still do, I guess). Basically, there were variations. You would try to get your friend to look at you while making this sign. The game was trying to catch them off guard so they didn't know what you were doing. When I was younger (90s), the loser would be called "gay" or hit.
From there it was like tag. The loser of the previous round had to find a sneaky way of getting you to look now. Sometimes waiting hours for the other person to forget before bringing it back up.
This definitely takes me back, man. I forgot all about those days.

What does this mean?(Hand sign related)... - ShaggyTexas
www.shaggytexas.com/board/.../81925-What-does-this-mean-(Hand-sign-related)...
Jan 25, 2011 - 23 posts - ‎21 authors
I see people use like a upside down "OK" hand sign when being photographed? Is it a Houston thing?...Like when a group of guys gather for a photo, 1 or 2 of them might throw up with their hand with I guess is like an upside down "OK" sign with 3 fingers sticking out? Anyone know what I'm talking about ..
(12-16-2017, 01:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: I see this a lot lately. I think it means if you get caught looking at it you are an asshole LOL

What does the upside down OK hand gesture mean?

Based on an old game that kids used to play (still do, I guess). Basically, there were variations. You would try to get your friend to look at you while making this sign. The game was trying to catch them off guard so they didn't know what you were doing. When I was younger (90s), the loser would be called "gay" or hit.
From there it was like tag. The loser of the previous round had to find a sneaky way of getting you to look now. Sometimes waiting hours for the other person to forget before bringing it back up.
This definitely takes me back, man. I forgot all about those days.

What does this mean?(Hand sign related)... - ShaggyTexas
www.shaggytexas.com/board/.../81925-What-does-this-mean-(Hand-sign-related)...
Jan 25, 2011 - 23 posts - ‎21 authors
I see people use like a upside down "OK" hand sign when being photographed? Is it a Houston thing?...Like when a group of guys gather for a photo, 1 or 2 of them might throw up with their hand with I guess is like an upside down "OK" sign with 3 fingers sticking out? Anyone know what I'm talking about ..

I'm not aware of it. I bet I'll  notice now.
(12-16-2017, 12:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 12:09 PM)Juniper Wrote: This a pretty fluffy topic. What are the trends?  It has recently come to bubbling to my consciousness that avocado toast is a 'trend'.  Specifically a Millennial trend. Now I see it in weird mentions like:  "If you want to own your own home, stop buying avocado toast!"  Hmmm...I'm out of the loop on this trend. Is this something that's being sold at coffee stands or something? I've made avocado toast all my life. Nothing fancy. Pretty basic  home home food.  But then, so was coffee at one time.

I don't believe I've heard anyone utter the words avocado toast before now.   Laughing

I'm sure that now I've said it, you'll notice it.  It's weird.  It keeps popping up in different things I read and usually as a bit of a put down; kind of like a hipster putdown, only now people don't say "hipster" as much, they say "millennial". 

Another trendy word/phrase I keep encountering is "Smash", meaning to eat something with gusto I presume.  So, I see things attached to food pictures saying "I'd smash that!" or a question next to a food saying "Smash? or Trash?" or something.
Groovy
(12-16-2017, 03:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I'm sure that now I've said it, you'll notice it.  It's weird.  It keeps popping up in different things I read and usually as a bit of a put down; kind of like a hipster putdown, only now people don't say "hipster" as much, they say "millennial". 

Another trendy word/phrase I keep encountering is "Smash", meaning to eat something with gusto I presume.  So, I see things attached to food pictures saying "I'd smash that!" or a question next to a food saying "Smash? or Trash?" or something.

[Image: 24gj9jl.jpg]
(12-17-2017, 02:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-16-2017, 03:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:

[Image: 24gj9jl.jpg]
Obviously, I'm out of that loop! Laughing
Charcoal as food is trending right now. Neutral 

[Image: ?u=http%3A%2F%2Fd17rkyykmoib3f.cloudfron...-2.jpg&f=1]
(12-17-2017, 03:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: Charcoal as food is trending right now. Neutral 

OK NOW I can cook Razz
(12-17-2017, 03:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: Charcoal as food is trending right now. Neutral 

I thought pretty much burned anything was carcinogenic. Don't remember where I might have heard that.
What for dinner?

Sticks, I'll have mine well done.

[Image: dreamstime_xl_40504904-Custom.jpg]
(12-17-2017, 03:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I thought pretty much burned anything was carcinogenic. Don't remember where I might have heard that.

If you’re offered a plate of blackened barbecue food this summer, you might think twice about eating it. It’s commonly thought that food that has been burnt could cause cancer. This is in part down to one particular molecule that forms when food is cooked at high temperatures, known as acrylamide. But while the chemical is a known potential toxin and carcinogen in its industrial form, the link between consuming it in food and developing cancer is much less clear.
The reason we even know about acrylamide’s potential dangers are down to a railway tunnel. Nearly 20 years ago, workers were building a tunnel through the Hallandsås ridge on the Bjäre peninsula in southern Sweden. Cows nearby started to show strange symptoms, staggering around and in some cases collapsing and dying. This prompted an investigation that showed that they had been drinking contaminated stream water and that the contamination was from a toxic molecule, acrylamide.
The construction workers had been using its polymer, polyacrylamide, as a crack sealant. This was, in itself, quite safe. But the polymer-forming reaction was incomplete, so some unreacted acrylamide was still present. The workers were tested to see if they also had unsafe levels of acrylamide in their blood, with a second “control” group of people who had no known exposure to industrial acrylamide used as a benchmark. However, it turned out that the control group also had surprisingly high amounts of acrylamide in their blood.
At first it was thought that burgers might be the source. Then high levels of acrylamide were found in potato products such as fried potatoes, as well as in coffee. It then became clear that acrylamide formation was associated with carbohydrate-rich foods, rather than protein-rich ones, and with foods that had been heated above 120°C (250°F), that is food that has been fried, roasted or baked. This was a new discovery, but acrylamide must always have been formed in this style of cooking, ever since cooking was invented.
Acrylamide is formed in reactions between the natural amino-acid asparagine and some (naturally-occurring) carbohydrates. You don’t find acrylamide in uncooked or boiled food. Dairy, meat or fish products are much less likely to contain acrylamide. It doesn’t matter whether the food is “organic” or not, it’s the type of food that counts. Acrylamide is also formed when smoking tobacco.
[Image: image-20160810-18037-1y0bzjv.jpg?ixlib=r...4&fit=clip] Acrylamide is found in cooked carbohydrate-rich food. Shutterstock
A “golden rule” has been suggested: cook food until it goes yellow, not brown or black. This restricts acrylamide formation, though if you cook at too low a temperature you are less likely to kill off bacteria, so there is more risk of food poisoning.
While scientists have identified the source of acrylamide, they haven’t established that it is definitely a carcinogen in humans when consumed at the levels typically found in cooked food. A 2015 review of available data concluded that “dietary acrylamide is not related to the risk of most common cancers”. Although, it added that a modest association for kidney cancer, and for endometrial and ovarian cancers in people who had never smoked, couldn’t be ruled out.
Meaty concerns
Going back to the barbecue, there are other chemicals in meat that could be a concern. These generally fall into two classes: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs – compounds with several hexagonal “benzene rings” fused together) such as naphthalene and benzopyrene; and heterocyclic amines (HCAs). The PAHs are formed from meat fat and juices dripping onto flames in cooking, and HCAs are generated, again in cooking, from reactions between molecules including amino-acids and sugars.
Animal testing has shown exposure to high levels of chemicals such as these is linked with cancer, but these are levels of exposure much higher than humans would get from eating meat. Some studies do appear to have shown that meat that has been burned, fried or barbecued is associated with higher possibilities of certain cancers, but these links are hard to prove for certain.
If you are really concerned, you could reduce exposure risks by cooking in a microwave rather than over naked flames, and turning meat regularly. You could also eat less meat or replace the meat with vegetables when grilling. Of course, your food may not be as tasty, since grilling, baking or toasting produce a lot of molecules that enhance flavour. But if you have a healthy diet with lots of fruit, vegetables and whole grain food, none of which contain acrylamide, things are easier. It is all a question of proportion.

http://theconversation.com/does-burnt-fo...ncer-63621
(12-17-2017, 04:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

If you’re offered a plate of blackened barbecue food this summer, you might think twice about eating it. It’s commonly thought that food that has been burnt could cause cancer. This is in part down to one particular molecule that forms when food is cooked at high temperatures, known as acrylamide. But while the chemical is a known potential toxin and carcinogen in its industrial form, the link between consuming it in food and developing cancer is much less clear.
The reason we even know about acrylamide’s potential dangers are down to a railway tunnel. Nearly 20 years ago, workers were building a tunnel through the Hallandsås ridge on the Bjäre peninsula in southern Sweden. Cows nearby started to show strange symptoms, staggering around and in some cases collapsing and dying. This prompted an investigation that showed that they had been drinking contaminated stream water and that the contamination was from a toxic molecule, acrylamide.
The construction workers had been using its polymer, polyacrylamide, as a crack sealant. This was, in itself, quite safe. But the polymer-forming reaction was incomplete, so some unreacted acrylamide was still present. The workers were tested to see if they also had unsafe levels of acrylamide in their blood, with a second “control” group of people who had no known exposure to industrial acrylamide used as a benchmark. However, it turned out that the control group also had surprisingly high amounts of acrylamide in their blood.
At first it was thought that burgers might be the source. Then high levels of acrylamide were found in potato products such as fried potatoes, as well as in coffee. It then became clear that acrylamide formation was associated with carbohydrate-rich foods, rather than protein-rich ones, and with foods that had been heated above 120°C (250°F), that is food that has been fried, roasted or baked. This was a new discovery, but acrylamide must always have been formed in this style of cooking, ever since cooking was invented.
Acrylamide is formed in reactions between the natural amino-acid asparagine and some (naturally-occurring) carbohydrates. You don’t find acrylamide in uncooked or boiled food. Dairy, meat or fish products are much less likely to contain acrylamide. It doesn’t matter whether the food is “organic” or not, it’s the type of food that counts. Acrylamide is also formed when smoking tobacco.
[Image: image-20160810-18037-1y0bzjv.jpg?ixlib=r...4&fit=clip] Acrylamide is found in cooked carbohydrate-rich food. Shutterstock
A “golden rule” has been suggested: cook food until it goes yellow, not brown or black. This restricts acrylamide formation, though if you cook at too low a temperature you are less likely to kill off bacteria, so there is more risk of food poisoning.
While scientists have identified the source of acrylamide, they haven’t established that it is definitely a carcinogen in humans when consumed at the levels typically found in cooked food. A 2015 review of available data concluded that “dietary acrylamide is not related to the risk of most common cancers”. Although, it added that a modest association for kidney cancer, and for endometrial and ovarian cancers in people who had never smoked, couldn’t be ruled out.
Meaty concerns
Going back to the barbecue, there are other chemicals in meat that could be a concern. These generally fall into two classes: polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs – compounds with several hexagonal “benzene rings” fused together) such as naphthalene and benzopyrene; and heterocyclic amines (HCAs). The PAHs are formed from meat fat and juices dripping onto flames in cooking, and HCAs are generated, again in cooking, from reactions between molecules including amino-acids and sugars.
Animal testing has shown exposure to high levels of chemicals such as these is linked with cancer, but these are levels of exposure much higher than humans would get from eating meat. Some studies do appear to have shown that meat that has been burned, fried or barbecued is associated with higher possibilities of certain cancers, but these links are hard to prove for certain.
If you are really concerned, you could reduce exposure risks by cooking in a microwave rather than over naked flames, and turning meat regularly. You could also eat less meat or replace the meat with vegetables when grilling. Of course, your food may not be as tasty, since grilling, baking or toasting produce a lot of molecules that enhance flavour. But if you have a healthy diet with lots of fruit, vegetables and whole grain food, none of which contain acrylamide, things are easier. It is all a question of proportion.

I remember now... I saw it on Fox news.     Laughing
(12-17-2017, 05:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 04:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Meaty concerns

I remember now... I saw it on Fox news.     Laughing

I think this trend has to do with activated charcoal, not the kind you get from grilling or barbecuing.

http://www.newsweek.com/charcoal-food-tr...ety-681199
The voice of reason.
This one is not a "trend"; more a sign of the times they are a changin' and I'm a couple of decades behind.  I am changing my case load to a different position at work and went with the coordinator of those cases to each house to do a home visit. Now, when I go somewhere in my car, I get in the car which may or may not be locked, which, if so, I unlock with a key and get in and stick the key in the ignition and start the car. If I want to listen to the radio I push the on button and usually NPR comes on. Now if I don't know where where I'm going, I usually will have looked up the address online on my desk computer in my office so I've got an idea where I'm going. If not, I may google map the address on my work phone and let it talk me to where I need to go.  I get to where I'm going, I get out, I shut the door, maybe or maybe not locking it with the button inside the car and so on. Then when I'm done I go through the same sequence and I go back to work. Done.

My co worker is probably 20 years younger than I am. We go on the visits and we take her car. She starts and unlocks her car with her remote 20 feet before we get there.  When we get inside her monitor screen shows the surroundings She looks at the screen to back out. She talks to the computer about where she wants to go and gets directions....we go. we get out; the car automatically locks it self.  Same thing repeated for the next visits.  She even asks it for driving directions two blocks away from the office!  All the while the Sirius radio is pumping out Christmas tunes, which is making me cringe.  She honestly didn't know how to get down the street without using google map.  I doubt she knows how to use a key....anyway, the entire thing made me feel a bit off.... Unsure   I'm sure I'll grow into these things.
(12-19-2017, 11:10 AM)Juniper Wrote: This one is not a "trend"; more a sign of the times they are a changin' and I'm a couple of decades behind.  I am changing my case load to a different position at work and went with the coordinator of those cases to each house to do a home visit. Now, when I go somewhere in my car, I get in the car which may or may not be locked, which, if so, I unlock with a key and get in and stick the key in the ignition and start the car. If I want to listen to the radio I push the on button and usually NPR comes on. Now if I don't know where where I'm going, I usually will have looked up the address online on my desk computer in my office so I've got an idea where I'm going. If not, I may google map the address on my work phone and let it talk me to where I need to go.  I get to where I'm going, I get out, I shut the door, maybe or maybe not locking it with the button inside the car and so on. Then when I'm done I go through the same sequence and  I go back to work. Done.

My co worker is probably 20 years younger than I am. We go on the visits and we take her car. She starts and unlocks her car with her remote 20 feet before we get there.  When we get inside her monitor screen shows the surroundings She looks at the screen to back out. She talks to the computer about where she wants to go and gets directions....we go. we get out; the car automatically locks it self.  Same thing repeated for the next visits.  She even asks it for driving directions two blocks away from the office!  All the while the Sirius radio is pumping out Christmas tunes, which is making me cringe.  She honestly didn't know how to get down the street without using google map.  I doubt she knows how to use a key....anyway, the entire thing made me feel a bit off.... Unsure   I'm sure I'll grow into these things.

That's cute.  Big Grin
I had to disable Siri ala HAL because I don't need an electric thing telling me what to do. Good.
(12-19-2017, 04:19 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I had to disable Siri ala HAL because I don't need an electric thing telling me what to do. Good.

I never enabled it... Neutral  I don't hear from Siri.