Trends
(06-27-2018, 10:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe I'm not remembering well here, but I think I remember someone saying that this became popular back when Friends was a television show....it was Chandler's way of talking.  It was Matthew Perry's schtick.  I remember someone telling me that, and kind of seeing the relation at the time.

This is correct.

So, while it's still a 'trend', I think that's where it started.

Wow I'm not the only one who has noticed this and there is actually a name for it. UPSPEAK or UPTALK

This has been around for a long time. I saw a study on it in 1991. Who knew?

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Maybe this is just one of my pet peeves as a college instructor who works with 20-something-year-old students. But upspeak, as it is called, is not what makes my worth living. It makes me cringe.
Per Wikipedia, upspeak is most common among American and Australian speakers of English and entails a rising intonation at the end of any and all utterances. In other words, upspeak (also known as uptalk, rising inflection, or high rising intonation) turns every sentence into a question.
Linguists have studied upspeak, finding that it occurs most frequently among younger individuals and among women. Upspeak is reportedly most common among teenage girls from Southern California (AKA "Valley girls") and among adults from North Dakota and Minnesota, where it may reflect lingering influences of the Norwegian language. Linguists have further concluded that upspeak serves conversational purposes, discouraging interruption and seeking reassurance.
Be that as it may, upspeak jars me. I spent the past semester listening to my students make presentations, and no matter how brilliant their ideas, their reliance on upspeak distracted me to no end.
Maybe I should let it go. Maybe I should let language evolve. I do know that I have never commented on upspeak to any of my students who do it.
I simply raise the issue, as a teacher, about when - if ever - a student should be critiqued on how she or he says something, as opposed to what she or he says, which seems a legitimate and non-controversial target for advice.
Along these lines, what about the "likes," the "you knows," and the "whatevers" that intrude into what many of my young students say? Should I call their attention to how annoying these discourse fillers may be, or would that just make them self-conscious and therefore even worse speakers?
Here is a conclusion that makes sense to me, one at which I have arrived during my own career which started 34 years ago as a flip and sometimes profane 26-year-old college professor. What one says is more important than how one says it, and a speaker is well served by not using a conversational style that distracts from the message. And I think upspeak distracts.
The issue, of course, is how to decrease it.
Happy New Year?

Will 'Upspeak' Hurt Your Career?

[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fblogs-images.forbes.com%2F...00x400.png]
John Baldoni , Contributor John Baldoni is an internationally recognized executive coach/author.  Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
The sound of your voice may be hindering your career.
If you speak this question aloud and your voice goes up as you come to the end of the sentence, your voice may be undercutting your credibility. We call this rising voice pattern “upspeak” and it is a condition that is becoming more prevalent, particularly among young women. Women who speak in this manner may be perceived as less than serious, and in extreme examples as less intelligent. (Think “Valley Girl.”)
Many people, not surprisingly young women, do not think upspeak is an issue. In a lively roundtable discussion on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross, three women – a journalist, a linguist and a speech pathologist – defined and debated speaking habits, including vocal fry, the tendency to sound gravelly at the end of a phrase. (Think “so tired…so bored” as depicted on this YouTube video.) Men who do it may actually be perceived as having gravitas; young women who do it sound clueless.
One conclusion drawn from the Fresh Air discussion was that perceptions of how voices should sound are changing. Part of it may be prevalence (upspeak is more common); other part is generational. That is, to someone under 40, the upspeak may be unnoticed. To one over 40, it is. That’s a conclusion that Dr. Penny Eckert, the linguist, made in a recent study she conducted at Stanford where she teaches.

Perception is the point. If someone feels his or her voice is hurting career prospects may be wise to go voice coaching. As Susan Sankin, the speech pathologist, noted, if you believe you have a problem and it may be hurting you, then by all means seek remedies.
The sound of one’s voice is linked to one’s presence. We expect our leaders to demonstrate it. While presence is more than voice, the sound of one’s voice is what creates the first impression. And when it comes to perception, the male voice – particularly a deeper toned one -- is the de facto standard to which women and other men are compared. Judged by this standard, upspeak is a killer. Jessica Grose, the journalist on the panel, was one told by a CEO she was interviewing for BusinessWeek that she sounded like his granddaughter. It was not meant as a compliment.

10 theories on how uptalk originated

• [url=http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine/][/url]
The Magazine's recent piece on uptalk - the habit of making statements sound like questions - prompted lots of you to email theories of where it started. Here are 10 of the most popular

https://www.bbc.com/news/magazine-28785865
(06-27-2018, 10:23 PM)Juniper Wrote: Maybe I'm not remembering well here, but I think I remember someone saying that this became popular back when Friends was a television show....it was Chandler's way of talking.  It was Matthew Perry's schtick.  I remember someone telling me that, and kind of seeing the relation at the time.

This is correct.

Wow I'm not the only one who has noticed this and there is actually a name for it. UPSPEAK or UPTALK

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Maybe this is just one of my pet peeves as a college instructor who works with 20-something-year-old students. But upspeak, as it is called, is not what makes my worth living. It makes me cringe.
Per Wikipedia, upspeak is most common among American and Australian speakers of English and entails a rising intonation at the end of any and all utterances. In other words, upspeak (also known as uptalk, rising inflection, or high rising intonation) turns every sentence into a question.
Linguists have studied upspeak, finding that it occurs most frequently among younger individuals and among women. Upspeak is reportedly most common among teenage girls from Southern California (AKA "Valley girls") and among adults from North Dakota and Minnesota, where it may reflect lingering influences of the Norwegian language. Linguists have further concluded that upspeak serves conversational purposes, discouraging interruption and seeking reassurance.
Be that as it may, upspeak jars me. I spent the past semester listening to my students make presentations, and no matter how brilliant their ideas, their reliance on upspeak distracted me to no end.
Maybe I should let it go. Maybe I should let language evolve. I do know that I have never commented on upspeak to any of my students who do it.
I simply raise the issue, as a teacher, about when - if ever - a student should be critiqued on how she or he says something, as opposed to what she or he says, which seems a legitimate and non-controversial target for advice.
Along these lines, what about the "likes," the "you knows," and the "whatevers" that intrude into what many of my young students say? Should I call their attention to how annoying these discourse fillers may be, or would that just make them self-conscious and therefore even worse speakers?
Here is a conclusion that makes sense to me, one at which I have arrived during my own career which started 34 years ago as a flip and sometimes profane 26-year-old college professor. What one says is more important than how one says it, and a speaker is well served by not using a conversational style that distracts from the message. And I think upspeak distracts.
Happy New Year?

John Baldoni , Contributor John Baldoni is an internationally recognized executive coach/author.  Opinions expressed by Forbes Contributors are their own.
If you speak this question aloud and your voice goes up as you come to the end of the sentence, your voice may be undercutting your credibility. We call this rising voice pattern “upspeak” and it is a condition that is becoming more prevalent, particularly among young women. Women who speak in this manner may be perceived as less than serious, and in extreme examples as less intelligent. (Think “Valley Girl.”)
Many people, not surprisingly young women, do not think upspeak is an issue. In a lively roundtable discussion on NPR’s Fresh Air with Terry Gross, three women – a journalist, a linguist and a speech pathologist – defined and debated speaking habits, including vocal fry, the tendency to sound gravelly at the end of a phrase. (Think “so tired…so bored” as depicted on this YouTube video.) Men who do it may actually be perceived as having gravitas; young women who do it sound clueless.
One conclusion drawn from the Fresh Air discussion was that perceptions of how voices should sound are changing. Part of it may be prevalence (upspeak is more common); other part is generational. That is, to someone under 40, the upspeak may be unnoticed. To one over 40, it is. That’s a conclusion that Dr. Penny Eckert, the linguist, made in a recent study she conducted at Stanford where she teaches.

Perception is the point. If someone feels his or her voice is hurting career prospects may be wise to go voice coaching. As Susan Sankin, the speech pathologist, noted, if you believe you have a problem and it may be hurting you, then by all means seek remedies.
The sound of one’s voice is linked to one’s presence. We expect our leaders to demonstrate it. While presence is more than voice, the sound of one’s voice is what creates the first impression. And when it comes to perception, the male voice – particularly a deeper toned one -- is the de facto standard to which women and other men are compared. Judged by this standard, upspeak is a killer. Jessica Grose, the journalist on the panel, was one told by a CEO she was interviewing for BusinessWeek that she sounded like his granddaughter. It was not meant as a compliment.

The Magazine's recent piece on uptalk - the habit of making statements sound like questions - prompted lots of you to email theories of where it started. Here are 10 of the most popular

(06-28-2018, 12:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

This is correct.

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Happy New Year?

Well, Valley Girl speak was around before Matthew Perry made it popular. The article points out the disparity of gender.  Cool for a man, clueless for a woman.
(06-28-2018, 04:01 PM)Juniper Wrote:

This is correct.

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Happy New Year?

Well, Valley Girl speak was around before Matthew Perry made it popular. The article points out the disparity of gender.  Cool for a man, clueless for a woman.
Where does it say it's cool for a man? I remember reading where they say women who upspeak are perceived to lack confidence or whatever but for it's cool to someone to hear it from a man??
(06-28-2018, 04:37 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:28 PM)Valuesize Wrote: This is correct.

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Happy New Year?

Where does it say it's cool for a man? I remember reading where they say women who upspeak are perceived to lack confidence or whatever but for it's cool to someone to hear it from a man??

It didn't say "cool" it said "gravitas".
(06-28-2018, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-27-2018, 10:39 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, while it's still a 'trend', I think that's where it started.

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Happy New Year?

OK I see. they said.....
defined and debated speaking habits, including vocal fry, the tendency to sound gravelly at the end of a phrase. (Think “so tired…so bored” [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY]as depicted on this YouTube video.
) Men who do it may actually be perceived as having gravitas; young women who do it sound clueless.

They way I read that they are not talking about upspeak but instead  talking about men who sound gravelly at the end of a phrase.Vocal fry. Even the YouTube video example was about vocal fry.
(06-28-2018, 06:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-28-2018, 05:55 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Psychology today
 Upspeak
Upspeak makes me cringe.
Posted Dec 31, 2010 
Happy New Year?

OK I see. they said.....
defined and debated speaking habits, including vocal fry, the tendency to sound gravelly at the end of a phrase. (Think “so tired…so bored” [url=https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsE5mysfZsY]as depicted on this YouTube video.
) Men who do it may actually be perceived as having gravitas; young women who do it sound clueless.

They way I read that they are not talking about upspeak but instead  talking about men who sound gravelly at the end of a phrase.Vocal fry.

OK
Oh, please tell me I don't have to talk to it.   Neutral Confused

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/181705...t-ces-2019

Kohler’s smart toilet promises a ‘fully-immersive experience’

Laughing Laughing
(01-06-2019, 12:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Oh, please tell me I don't have to talk to it.   Neutral Confused

https://www.theverge.com/2019/1/6/181705...t-ces-2019

Kohler’s smart toilet promises a ‘fully-immersive experience’

Laughing Laughing

"Kohler has already stolen the show with what will undoubtedly be 2019’s hottest gadget:"

They wish but I doubt it. Smiling