Trends
(12-29-2017, 10:31 AM)Juniper Wrote: Those silly fidget spinners were a trend.  They were originally supposed to be a learning aid to special needs children, but they took off.

I guess special needs is rampant.
(12-28-2017, 06:06 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 03:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-28-2017, 02:00 PM)Juniper Wrote: And flat earth "science" is making a comeback.  Why?  I mean, what would believing this get you?  Why would it matter?  I haven't looked at any of the rhetoric, but mostly, I just don't get why?

I think the same answer to your question or actually the same question applies to why.....
People believe 9-11 was an inside job, those were not really planes, the twin towers had bombs in them..
The Bermuda triangle...Area 51...Bigfoot.. the moon landing was faked....Other people were shooting and not just Oswald on the grassy knoll....Marijuana cures cancer.. Paranormal things... mind readers The Clinton Family had 50 + people murdered....levitation.. Chem trails

There are many many more I can't think of at the moment. I think people who believe in these type of things do so because it makes them feel like they are special. That they are not fools like everyone else. And that is way more important than logic and common sense.

But those reasons are because people feel there IS a reason. That there's a reason for the cover ups...to hide the secrets, the conspiracies; or because it's mysterious.  But...believing in a flat earth and saying we've all been duped...to what end?  I admit I've never looked at what they say. But most things that people buy into are either enjoyable for their mystery, people like a mystery or the sense of secrecy...that something is being covered up...but this?  It doesn't seem to have much 'pay off' so to speak.

I guess I didn't plain my self well enough.  The "pay off" just like all those other things I mentioned is that they know something most don't ( they think). That makes them special. it validates themselves.
That's my theory anyway.
(12-29-2017, 12:51 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(12-29-2017, 10:31 AM)Juniper Wrote: Those silly fidget spinners were a trend.  They were originally supposed to be a learning aid to special needs children, but they took off.

I guess special needs is rampant.

Funny that.  I first heard of these things before the big rage.  It was a co worker of mine who claimed her son needed one because it helped him to focus and the cruel and unsympathetic school administration disagreed and wouldn't let her son play with it in class.  She was so outraged. He NEEDED it!!!  Except....I know this kid, and he doesn't. He's not special needs, he doesn't have Asperger or autism, he doesn't have an IEP or learning plan.  He's high functioning and exceptionally bright and socially very competent and does well in school. She just wanted him to be special. Pissed me right off.
Also not a trend, but can someone explain bitcoin to me in a way I can understand?
(12-30-2017, 04:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: Also not a trend, but can someone explain bitcoin to me in a way I can understand?

Nope.

Razz
(12-30-2017, 04:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: Also not a trend, but can someone explain bitcoin to me in a way I can understand?

Do you remember when everyone was downloading music and movies with peer to peer sharing? Where you could access the music and movies on millions of peoples computers.
And they could do the same to you?

IMO Bitcoin is something like that. Internationally. It's digital money. I looked in to it and I don't want anything to do with it. And I still don't fully understand it.
Also I recently read where it's not going so well.

Fake nerd money that is going to crash and burn like the Hindenburg.
(12-30-2017, 05:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Fake nerd money that is going to crash and burn like the Hindenburg.

Laughing Laughing
Probably not a trend a lot of you are exposed to, but one I hate is the lunch in jars trend. There is a woman where I work, who everyday eats her little health foody lunch out of a jar. She walks around with it a lot. I resist the temptation to accidentally on purpose knock it out of her hands.
(01-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: Probably not a trend a lot of you are exposed to, but one I hate is the lunch in jars trend. There is a woman where I work, who everyday eats her little health foody lunch out of a jar. She walks around with it a lot. I resist the temptation to accidentally on purpose knock it out of her hands.

Laughing Laughing
 I lifted this from somewhere:

*BITCOIN*

A lot of monkeys lived near a village.

One day a merchant came to the village to buy these monkeys!

He announced that he will buy the monkeys @ $100 each.

The villagers thought that this man is mad.

They thought how can somebody buy stray monkeys at $100 each?樂

Still, some people caught some monkeys and gave it to this merchant and he gave $100 for each monkey.

This news spread like wildfire and people caught monkeys and sold it to the merchant.

After a few days, the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys @ 200 each.

The lazy villagers also ran around to catch the remaining monkeys!

They sold the remaining monkeys @ 200 each.

Then the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys @ 500 each!

The villagers start to lose sleep! ... They caught six or seven monkeys, which was all that was left and got 500 each.

The villagers were waiting anxiously for the next announcement.

Then the merchant announced that he is going home for a week. And when he returns, he will buy monkeys @ 1000 each!

He asked his employee to take care of the monkeys he bought. He was alone taking care of all the monkeys in a cage.鸞

The merchant went home.

The villagers were very sad as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell it at $1000 each.☹️

Then the employee told them that he will sell some monkeys @ 700 each secretly.

This news spread like fire. Since the merchant buys monkey @ 1000 each, there is a 300 profit for each monkey.

The next day, villagers made a queue near the monkey cage.螺螺螺螺螺螺螺螺螺螺

The employee sold all the monkeys at 700 each. The rich bought monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed money from money lenders and also bought monkeys!

The villagers took care of their monkeys & waited for the merchant to return.

But nobody came! ...Then they ran to the employee...鸞

But he has already left too !

The villagers then realised that they have bought the useless stray monkeys @ 700 each and unable to sell them!

The Bitcoin will be the next monkey business

It will make a lot of people bankrupt and a few people filthy rich in this monkey business.

That' how it will work藍
(01-27-2018, 12:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:11 PM)Juniper Wrote: Probably not a trend a lot of you are exposed to, but one I hate is the lunch in jars trend. There is a woman where I work, who everyday eats her little health foody lunch out of a jar. She walks around with it a lot. I resist the temptation to accidentally on purpose knock it out of her hands.

Laughing Laughing

Wonder if she put away her Tupperware and bought those jars special so she could do that?   Razz
(01-27-2018, 02:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 12:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Laughing Laughing

Wonder if she put away her Tupperware and bought those jars special so she could do that?   Razz

Probably.
(01-27-2018, 02:32 PM)GCG Wrote:

*BITCOIN*

Still, some people caught some monkeys and gave it to this merchant and he gave $100 for each monkey.

This news spread like wildfire and people caught monkeys and sold it to the merchant.

After a few days, the merchant announced that he will buy monkeys @ 200 each.

The villagers start to lose sleep! ... They caught six or seven monkeys, which was all that was left and got 500 each.

Then the merchant announced that he is going home for a week. And when he returns, he will buy monkeys @ 1000 each!

He asked his employee to take care of the monkeys he bought. He was alone taking care of all the monkeys in a cage.鸞

The merchant went home.

The villagers were very sad as there were no more monkeys left for them to sell it at $1000 each.☹️

Then the employee told them that he will sell some monkeys @ 700 each secretly.

This news spread like fire. Since the merchant buys monkey @ 1000 each, there is a 300 profit for each monkey.

The employee sold all the monkeys at 700 each. The rich bought monkeys in big lots. The poor borrowed money from money lenders and also bought monkeys!

The villagers then realised that they have bought the useless stray monkeys @ 700 each and unable to sell them!

It will make a lot of people bankrupt and a few people filthy rich in this monkey business.

That' how it will work藍

I'm too dumb to get it.
(01-27-2018, 03:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

*BITCOIN*

The merchant went home.

That' how it will work藍

I'm too dumb to get it.
In that case... I'll give you $100 for every monkey you bring me.
(01-27-2018, 05:15 PM)GCG Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 03:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

*BITCOIN*

The merchant went home.

That' how it will work藍

I'm too dumb to get it.
[Image: 5d8c654c6bed26eb34ef480bbeb86720.jpg]

But pay with bit coin.
(01-27-2018, 05:15 PM)GCG Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 03:33 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm too dumb to get it.

Laughing
I don't know if this is a trend yet. But ??

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/228682...-trend.htm

I'll bet the little bastards are tough to milk. Not to mention the marketing challenge!
(05-28-2018, 11:30 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I don't know if this is a trend yet. But ??

http://www.techtimes.com/articles/228682...-trend.htm

I'll bet the little bastards are tough to milk. Not to mention the marketing challenge!

Barf
I think social policing it very trendy. Looking out for dogs in cars, kids in cars, people parking over lines, who didn't take the shopping cart back to the corral. Pictures of who cut you off in traffic, or reporting on the kids next door, or the crack house next door. Some of it is very helpful, others are more shaming or sometimes self aggrandizing in nature.