Road rage. Motorcyclists dies.
(12-17-2017, 09:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 09:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 09:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 09:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-17-2017, 09:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Evidently if you say "The" 5 or "The" I-5 you are pegged as a non-Oregonian and likely from California.  Laughing

Yeah? I never knew that.  To me it's kind of silly. It's the ONLY freeway around here.  Yeah, I'm from  California and  I almost never was on the 5 down there either.

What's "kind of silly", saying "the" instead of I ?

I think I say "The" even when I say the "I".  Sometimes not. Now I'm all weirded out!! Unsure Unsure

Laughing Laughing Laughing

Now that i think about it I always just say "the freeway" because like you say there are no others here.

What kind of bugs me is that I talk to people a lot giving directions or when I meet them at  THE freeway( Razz)

And they always ask me.. Is that exit 35 or whatever number. I don't know the freaking numbers of the exits LOL.

I never know the exit numbers either.  Except Gold Hill.  That's exit 40.   Big Grin
It actually defines you as a SOUTHERN Californian, because they don't call freeways "The" in Northern California. Or anywhere else, for that matter. Wear your birthright proudly.
(12-18-2017, 10:15 AM)bbqboy Wrote: It actually defines you as a SOUTHERN Californian, because they don't call freeways "The" in Northern California. Or anywhere else, for that matter. Wear your birthright proudly.

Hmmmm, I lived in Santa Cruz for a while and really have no memory of what they called them there.  In SoCal we called Freeways by their number with the article "The".
(12-18-2017, 10:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 10:15 AM)bbqboy Wrote: It actually defines you as a SOUTHERN Californian, because they don't call freeways "The" in Northern California. Or anywhere else, for that matter. Wear your birthright proudly.

Hmmmm, I lived in Santa Cruz for a while and really have no memory of what they called them there.  In SoCal we called Freeways by their number with the article "The".

Most places other than California didn't build freeways on their own so the only freeways are Interstates, hence the I-5, I-80 designations took hold. 
In California there are plenty of State Hwy freeways which I'm pretty sure adding "the" was normal.
In Chicagoland they add "the" but they go by names, so The Dan Ryan or The Eisenhower, or the Skyway, and so forth.
(12-18-2017, 10:34 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(12-18-2017, 10:29 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Most places other than California didn't build freeways on their own so the only freeways are Interstates, hence the I-5, I-80 designations took hold. 
In California there are plenty of State Hwy freeways which I'm pretty sure adding "the" was normal.
In Chicagoland they add "the" but they go by names, so The Dan Ryan or The Eisenhower, or the Skyway, and so forth.
Well, they have names attached to Freeways and Highways in Cali also.  The San Diego Freeway (405)  The Harbor Freeway, (110) The San Gabriel Freeway.  Not always with the article "the" for highways.  Ortega Hwy, Pacific Coast Hwy....

When I went to see my son graduate from the Marines I asked a local for directions from the motel loop where I was to the marine base.
We knew it wasn't very far.
The guy told us to get on the 5 then get on the 405 and I and I don't remember the rest. I asked if I HAD to get on the freeways and he looked confused and didn't have an answer.
I lived in San Diego for a while in the 70's so I just took off and winged it. We drove right under the stupid freeways and got to where we wanted in a very short time.
[url=https://post.craigslist.org/flag?flagCode=28&postingID=6393544977&cat=atq&area=mfr][/url]
The family posted on FB his clinic will be closed in Ashland until they can sort this out. He was a partner in a denture clinic. Too bad.
Same age and last name so it is just a conclusion on my part.