New laws for 2018
Quote:Oregon became the fifth state last year to increase its legal age to purchase tobacco from 18 to 21. This increase also applied to "delivery methods" that vaporize or aerosolize tobacco or cannabis products, such as e-cigarettes.
Quote:Oregon already had a law on the books requiring drivers to change lanes or slow down when passing an emergency or roadside assistance vehicle on the highway, but now that law will apply to all cars.

If any vehicle is on the side of a highway displaying hazard lights, flares or other emergency or distress signs, drivers must change lanes or slow down to five miles per hour below the posted speed limit.
http://www.statesmanjournal.com/story/ne...985179001/

Quote:The seven-year, $5.2 billion transportation package approved in July, for example, includes several new taxes and fees that will be paid by vehicle and bicycle owners.
The state’s gas tax on Monday will rise 4 cents a gallon, to 34 cents. It will be the first of several gas tax and vehicle fee increases over the next six years. The gas tax will again increase 2 cents a gallon in 2020, 2022 and 2024.
The state’s vehicle registration fee will jump $13 per year. For the typical car owner, the two-year registration fee will jump to $112, from $86.
http://registerguard.com/rg/news/local/3...crease.csp
There were quite a lot of people on a Facebook page bitching and crying alligator tears because of the $13.00 increase in the  state’s vehicle registration fee.

Ever notice how people feed of of each other on FB and not really think for themselves?

I posted that I had zero problem paying a lousy 13 bucks a year. And that with more and more fuel efficient cars, hybrids or electric cars.
That obviously the state is not getting as much tax revenue as the past and that they had to do something.
And funny how after that for the most part no one else was complaining.
(01-01-2018, 07:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: There were quite a lot of people on a Facebook page bitching and crying alligator tears because of the $13.00 increase in the  state’s vehicle registration fee.

Ever notice how people feed of of each other on FB and not really think for themselves?

I posted that I had zero problem paying a lousy 13 bucks a year. And that with more and more fuel efficient cars, hybrids or electric cars.
That obviously the state is not getting as much tax revenue as the past and that they had to do something.
Kind of like the Ashland restaurant tax. People cry about that.  I rarely go to Ashland but did last night. Two Entrees and 3 drinks had a $1.50 food tax. WHAAAHHH!!
(01-01-2018, 07:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: There were quite a lot of people on a Facebook page bitching and crying alligator tears because of the $13.00 increase in the  state’s vehicle registration fee.

Maybe you should run for President.

Oh, wait. No, that works the other way. Everyone complains. Even when they win.   Laughing

Funny though, I haven't seen any complaining...must be seeing different stuff than you.
(01-01-2018, 08:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Funny though, I haven't seen any complaining...must be seeing different stuff than you.
It was West Medford. You know the same FB site where dozens of people actually believed the power company was ripping them off.
And that it was not just the record cold weather.
Heard this on the news tonight, "There are about 40,000 new laws taking effect on January 1." Say what? That's about 785 new laws for each of the 50 states and DC.   Surprised
(01-01-2018, 08:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Heard this on the news tonight, "There are about 40,000 new laws taking effect on January 1." Say what? That's about 785 new laws for each of the 50 states and DC.   Surprised

I just tried to look athat up and I found that there were 40,000 new laws taking effect on January 1 .....

and then I found the same thing for 2014 LOL So this is nothing new. And a lot of these are simply changes to an old law.
(01-01-2018, 09:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 08:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Heard this on the news tonight, "There are about 40,000 new laws taking effect on January 1." Say what? That's about 785 new laws for each of the 50 states and DC.   Surprised

I just tried to look athat up and I found that there were 40,000 new laws taking effect on January 1 .....

and then I found the same thing for 2014 LOL So this is nothing new. And a lot of these are simply changes to an old law.

Changes to old laws make new laws. But, maybe the number is just recycled every year and not a real count on any given year. Still that's a lot.
(01-01-2018, 09:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Changes to old laws make new laws. But, maybe the number is just recycled every year and not a real count on any given year. Still that's a lot.
Well it sounds like a lot but if that's about the same every year then it's really not out of the ordinary.
And it sounds like a lot but does that include every state city or county in the whole USA?
Changes to old laws make new laws.

Not really the way I see it.  If you change a law then there was always that law and it just changed.

A NEW law means just that. There never was a law and now there is.
(01-01-2018, 10:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 09:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Well it sounds like a lot but if that's about the same every year then it's really not out of the ordinary.
And it sounds like a lot but does that include every state city or county in the whole USA?
Changes to old laws make new laws.

Not really the way I see it.  If you change a law then there was always that law and it just changed.

A NEW law means just that. There never was a law and now there is.

Probably. City, county, state, feds, that many would likely be everyone, assuming that is an actual count. I'm guessing it probably an average for a year of politicking country wide, or something.

As for old laws and new ones, I suppose it depends on if the change is big or small.
(01-01-2018, 08:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It was West Medford. You know the same FB site where dozens of people actually believed the power company was ripping them off.
I never saw those on my feed. Not that I feel I  missed anything. Big Grin

No, it's $26 a year, which is excessive for a single increase, 30%.
(01-02-2018, 08:13 AM)GPnative Wrote:

I think TV is right, I have this years sitting here ready to pay. It's $112 for two years, it was $86 last time. The last state I lived in I payed more than that for one year. Plus, now that I live in Trumpsville I don't have to pay for DEQ. Smiling
(01-02-2018, 08:39 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

I think TV is right, I have this years sitting here ready to pay. It's $112 for two years, it was $86 last time. The last state I lived in I payed more than that for one year. Plus, now that I live in Trumpsville I don't have to pay for DEQ. Smiling

Oh, yes, my bad. $26 is the total for 2 years. Posted before I had a cup of coffee Razz 

It's still a steep increase IMO since we don't pay per year, the bill we are accustomed to paying is going up $26.
(01-02-2018, 09:58 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Oh, yes, my bad. $26 is the total for 2 years. Posted before I had a cup of coffee Razz 

It's still a steep increase IMO since we don't pay per year, the bill we are accustomed to paying is going up $26.

Think about what you said. It's still a steep increase IMO since we don't pay per year.

It's still the same increase no matter when you pay it LOL  I do know what you mean though but I still say it's a bargain compared to what we get.
(01-02-2018, 02:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Think about what you said. It's still a steep increase IMO since we don't pay per year.

It's still the same increase no matter when you pay it LOL  I do know what you mean though but I still say it's a bargain compared to what we get.

I don't think I'd call it a bargain since half the vernacular they use is broad based with zero specifics, which in government lingo usually means it goes to the black hole of administration costs.

First one, OK, that's legit. That's where $ should go.

Second one, OK, we'll see. I'd love to know how much increase JoCo and JackCo specifically will see and for what projects.

Third one, give me a break. WTF does that even mean? I'd love to know in 5 years what schools and what "school routes" were specifically addressed and how were they made safer and how much did it cost? I walked and biked to school from 1st grade to 5th, I never needed a stupid slush fund program to clear sticks and rocks for me. 

Forth one Blink Blink   Yea, that sounds measurable and attainable Rolling Eyes Fancy way of padding the paper pushing administrators.

Here are some transportation system investments your fees will support:
* Highway maintenance, preservation, seismic upgrades and safety, including specific construction projects across the state.
* Increased funding for small cities and counties.
* A Safe Routes to School infrastructure program to reduce barriers and hazards for children walking or bicycling to and from school.
* Economic benefits by sustaining jobs, keeping freight moving, and providing a boost to local communities across the state.

(from here   https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts...ns/1c003c9 )
(01-02-2018, 03:24 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 02:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-02-2018, 08:13 AM)GPnative Wrote: No, it's $26 a year, which is excessive for a single increase, 30%.

I don't think I'd call it a bargain since half the vernacular they use is broad based with zero specifics, which in government lingo usually means it goes to the black hole of administration costs.

First one, OK, that's legit. That's where $ should go.

Second one, OK, we'll see. I'd love to know how much increase JoCo and JackCo specifically will see and for what projects.

Third one, give me a break. WTF does that even mean? I'd love to know in 5 years what schools and what "school routes" were specifically addressed and how were they made safer and how much did it cost? I walked and biked to school from 1st grade to 5th, I never needed a stupid slush fund program to clear sticks and rocks for me. 

Forth one Blink Blink   Yea, that sounds measurable and attainable Rolling Eyes Fancy way of padding the paper pushing administrators.

Here are some transportation system investments your fees will support:
* Highway maintenance, preservation, seismic upgrades and safety, including specific construction projects across the state.
* Increased funding for small cities and counties.
* A Safe Routes to School infrastructure program to reduce barriers and hazards for children walking or bicycling to and from school.
* Economic benefits by sustaining jobs, keeping freight moving, and providing a boost to local communities across the state.

(from here   https://content.govdelivery.com/accounts...ns/1c003c9 )

Well There's nothing wrong with being skeptical but for me it's a no brainier that the state is not taking in as much money as the past.
And I can't even remember the last time the registration fee was changed., At any rate it's been a VERY long time.
So I think the money is obviously needed badly and every two years having to shell out 26 more bucks is not much to worry about.
I give away a lot more than that in bottles and cans.
(01-02-2018, 07:32 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(01-01-2018, 08:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I never saw those on my feed. Not that I feel I  missed anything. Big Grin

You posted on that thread Laughing Laughing

Here are several different people's comments.

Holy smokes! We just received our power bill. $431. Absolutely insane. Given it was a crazy cold month, but still ridiculous. I unplug things when not in use. Turn off wall heaters and close doors in unused rooms. Have blinds and curtains.

This is the highest I've had in my life. Every light is energy saver. Our house has new windows and insulation. I feel like we're getting f'd. It's pay your power or you can't live. It's half our rent.

Pacific power is known to screw people

Mine was ridiculously expensive this month also! I have no idea why. We live in a small apartment that stays warm, and we have never had a bill this high!

Power is something most people can't live without. Alternative energy isn't an option when you rent. I feel like low income families are being taken advantage of. This is BS. I'm furious

Same here.. It's either pay your power bill and get evicted cause you can't pay rent or skip out on groceries for the month.. It's bullshit,, that we have to pay such outrageous prices for something that is 100% a needed necessity if you don't have power at your house can't live there, if you have kids you can't be Homeless.. You shouldn't have to choose between pain your power bill over any other important bills I'm furious about to finally paid off for $550 bill to get slapped with another $300 bill pretty sure I'll be getting another bill here in the next week or so that's probably another couple hundred in here we are back up to 500 absolutely bullshit

For us, last month was over 300 bucks. I cant hardly wait to see what they gouge us this month

If Pacific Power want to help people they would lower the rates. They are just your typical Corporation jacking the price up penny by penny hoping nobody will notice. Making their bank accounts get bigger and bigger. They could care less if there's 25,000 people within the city freezing.

Now I know that probably happens to least four maybe five thousand people with in Medford every month. And I bet less than half of those people question it and just pay the bill or they're on auto-pay and it's just deducted from their account. Now think about that for a second...........a few thousand people possibly many more over pay every month.......how much money you think the power company gains by doing that??? If 4,000 people overpay an average of $100 + the little fees that go up as your bill goes up the power company gains $500,000 that month. Which comes to $6,000,000 a year. There's no way that meter was read wrong that many times every month. I'm quite sure the power company does it on purpose because they know probably less than a few hundred are going to question it.

From talking to several people and posts like this on FB, this big spike in power usage/prices sounds like it's hitting a lot of people that have no business getting a bill this high.

Is this something that the city council could investigate, or should someone contact a local news outlet about it?

$431.... Wow, How many grow lights are you running?