Highway 140 and Kershaw rd.
One thing about this site versus Facebook. Is that I can say what I want and be pretty sure I won't offend anyone who died in a crash there if I say what I think.
And what I think is you can't fix stupid. There is a plan to put a roundabout in at 2020 but I saw people on the news crying that was not soon enough because that intersection is SO dangerous.

FFS it is flat ground. No sight obstructions at all. And yet a couple weeks ago some guy and his wife ran the stop sign and was t-boned by a semi. And both killed
And yesterday some guy on a motorcycle was hit. Last year a guy on a motorcycle was hit and killed and if I remember right he was speeding.

The fact of the matter is ODOT revamped the intersection with flashing red lights and they re aligned the road. And since then there has been less fatalities than before.

So is this the future? Where taxpayers have to pay to protect people too careless or stupid too simply look both ways for traffic?
I've seen a road plan that indicates the extension of Foothill straight through to 140 and the roundabout being put at that new intersection. I remember thinking that they're going to have to slow traffic way down for that to work.
I love the

Quote:I can say what I want and be pretty sure I won't offend anyone who died in a crash

That so true.
Laughing
(01-04-2018, 12:44 AM)chuck white Wrote: I love the

Quote:I can say what I want and be pretty sure I won't offend anyone who died in a crash

That so true.
Laughing

Yup. Dead IS dead.  Cool

That so true.
Laughing

Laughing  OK OK you know what I meant
(01-04-2018, 12:56 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

That so true.
Laughing

Yup. Dead IS dead.  Cool

Lets not talk about rocks thou, they might get offended.

Soon none of us will drive. It will all be a computer.
Then maybe we'll have no auto accidents.
(01-03-2018, 10:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I've seen a road plan that indicates the extension of Foothill straight through to 140 and the roundabout being put at that new intersection. I remember thinking that they're going to have to slow traffic way down for that to work.

They say 30 MPH so if it's like everything else that means 40MPH maybe. But it shouldn't matter It's less than two miles from 62.

And There won't be any cross traffic at Kershaw. Right turn only.
We had nuns killed when I was in HS at a similar intersection, with stopped traffic trying to cross a highway speed intersection to avoid a few blocks. They extended the median and prevented crossing at all . Either that or a real traffic light for 140. I have a feeling people unfamiliar with it coming on Kershaw might think that it's a 4 way stop.
(01-03-2018, 09:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: One thing about this site versus Facebook. Is that I can say what I want and be pretty sure I won't offend anyone who died in a crash there if I say what I think.
And what I think is you can't fix stupid. There is a plan to put a roundabout in at 2020 but I saw people on the news crying that was not soon enough because that intersection is SO dangerous.

FFS it is flat ground. No sight obstructions at all. And yet a couple weeks ago some guy and his wife ran the stop sign and was t-boned by a semi. And both killed
And yesterday some guy on a motorcycle was hit. Last year a guy on a motorcycle was hit and killed and if I remember right he was speeding.

The fact of the matter is ODOT revamped the intersection with flashing red lights and they re aligned the road. And since then there has been less fatalities than before.

So is this the future? Where taxpayers have to pay to protect people too careless or stupid too simply look both ways for traffic?

My wife and I had this very conversation this week. There is no doubt "dangerous" intersections exist that require extra prudence on behalf of drivers, and really any intersection is inherently dangerous if you don't pay attention. But this intersection in particular I don't understand, you'd be hard pressed to find a more wide open and well marked intersection. Maybe that is the issue, inattentive drivers being on auto pilot? Well, the issue IS inattentive drivers. The idea of putting in roundabouts is a stupid plan to solve lack of driver attention, or being in a hurry and hitting the gas to cross instead of waiting for traffic to clear.
(01-04-2018, 08:22 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(01-03-2018, 09:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: One thing about this site versus Facebook. Is that I can say what I want and be pretty sure I won't offend anyone who died in a crash there if I say what I think.

My wife and I had this very conversation this week. There is no doubt "dangerous" intersections exist that require extra prudence on behalf of drivers, and really any intersection is inherently dangerous if you don't pay attention. But this intersection in particular I don't understand, you'd be hard pressed to find a more wide open and well marked intersection. Maybe that is the issue, inattentive drivers being on auto pilot? Well, the issue IS inattentive drivers. The idea of putting in roundabouts is a stupid plan to solve lack of driver attention, or being in a hurry and hitting the gas to cross instead of waiting for traffic to clear.

The idea of putting in roundabouts is a stupid plan to  [b]solve lack of driver attention,
[/b]
That's true and what I thought but after looking the situation over they are not putting in a roundabout just
to solve the problems of numbnuts drivers at Kershaw .
They are extending foothills to 140 and connecting it to Atlantic ( I think) so they need a roundabout anyway.
(01-04-2018, 08:22 AM)GPnative Wrote:

It just slows you down. Too much open space and people space out or don't care.  Essentially it comes under the category of "traffic calmer".
You people should really just come to me when you are troubled by traffic/driving difficulties. I really do have all the answers. And when I don't, I'll pretend that I do.

Kershaw/140 

Believe it or not, the new bypass will affect traffic at this intersection. Southeast Medford to White City traffic might become more bypass and 62 friendly once the bypass is done. 

But let's get down to the more immediate concern. There's more going on here than just a simple crossroads. There is also a truck scale and an entrance to a landfill. 

Kershaw and 140 needs more than a flashing yellow light. What is NOT NEEDED is a roundabout. What IS needed is a traffic light. And that light should be carefully managed by sensors... and there should also be electronic signs warning the traffic on140 that the light is about to change. 

Roundabouts are the chic thing to do. If you don't believe me, go to Bend and drive around for awhile. They do not work except in certain, specific situations... usually borderline residential.

OK... now you know.
(01-07-2018, 06:39 PM)GCG Wrote: You people should really just come to me when you are troubled by traffic/driving difficulties. I really do have all the answers. And when I don't, I'll pretend that I do.

Kershaw/140 

Believe it or not, the new bypass will affect traffic at this intersection. Southeast Medford to White City traffic might become more bypass and 62 friendly once the bypass is done. 

But let's get down to the more immediate concern. There's more going on here than just a simple crossroads. There is also a truck scale and an entrance to a landfill. 

Kershaw and 140 needs more than a flashing yellow light. What is NOT NEEDED is a roundabout. What IS needed is a traffic light. And that light should be carefully managed by sensors... and there should also be electronic signs warning the traffic on140 that the light is about to change. 

Roundabouts are the chic thing to do. If you don't believe me, go to Bend and drive around for awhile. They do not work except in certain, specific situations... usually borderline residential.

OK... now you know.
Do you remember the Shell answer man LOL.

Anyway I don't see what the truck scale has to do with anything. That would help matters in my opinion because it cold slow down trucks coming for Klamath. And the landfill? HUH? Dry creek? That's way down the road at E Antelope.

Also Kershaw is not going to get a roundabout. Corey road will when it's extended to 140 .

What exactly "does not work" with a roundabout? I don't see a problem with slowing down to 35 when you are only a couple of miles from 62.
GCG... IMO if THAT particular intersection NEEDS a Traffic light. Then so do about nine million other intersections.

Also you don't think the flashing lights helped?.. Well now you are getting personal because my friend put them in LOL.
  Plus that was in 2006 and the fact is it did help and the number of accidents have dropped since then.
How far is Lakeview from Kershaw?

On January 29th, 2018, at approximately 6:30pm, the Oregon State Police and emergency personnel responded to a two vehicle crash on Highway 140 near milepost 1, at the intersection of Lakeview Drive in Jackson County.

The preliminary investigation has determined that a 1985 white Ford F250 pickup, operated by 23 year old, Devyn J. BALDOVINO, of Eagle Point, was traveling eastbound on Highway 140. A 2006 maroon Scion XB, operated by 29 year old Jordan R. BAILEY, also traveling eastbound on Highway 140, had slowed to turn left (north) onto Lakeview Drive. BALDOVINO, failed to recognized this and the Ford F250 impacted the rear-ended of the Scion, at near highway speeds.

The 7 year old rear passenger of the Scion suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver of Scion and two other passengers (2 and 14 years old) were transported to Rogue River Medical Center to receive treatment for injuries. BALDOVINO was uninjured.

The eastbound lane of Highway 140 was shut down for approximately four hours. OSP was assisted by Jackson County Fire District 3, Jackson County District Attorney's office and the Oregon Department of Transportation. Distracted driving is being investigated as a cause for the crash. 

Downloadable file: truck.jpg

Downloadable file: scion.jpg
Lakeview is not far past the Dollar Store, well before Kershaw if you are heading east.
My heart goes out to all involved. What a terrible tragedy.
(01-30-2018, 10:08 AM)Valuesize Wrote: How far is Lakeview from Kershaw?

On January 29th, 2018, at approximately 6:30pm, the Oregon State Police and emergency personnel responded to a two vehicle crash on Highway 140 near milepost 1, at the intersection of Lakeview Drive in Jackson County.

The preliminary investigation has determined that a 1985 white Ford F250 pickup, operated by 23 year old, Devyn J. BALDOVINO, of Eagle Point, was traveling eastbound on Highway 140. A 2006 maroon Scion XB, operated by 29 year old Jordan R. BAILEY, also traveling eastbound on Highway 140, had slowed to turn left (north) onto Lakeview Drive. BALDOVINO, failed to recognized this and the Ford F250 impacted the rear-ended of the Scion, at near highway speeds.

The 7 year old rear passenger of the Scion suffered fatal injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene. The driver of Scion and two other passengers (2 and 14 years old) were transported to Rogue River Medical Center to receive treatment for injuries. BALDOVINO was uninjured.

The eastbound lane of Highway 140 was shut down for approximately four hours. OSP was assisted by Jackson County Fire District 3, Jackson County District Attorney's office and the Oregon Department of Transportation. Distracted driving is being investigated as a cause for the crash. 

Lakeview is about one mile from Kershaw heading west to 62. This was simply a case of the pickup driver not paying attention.
But Already on Facebook people are saying 140 is not safe.. the state needs to do something. or whatever.
Also I read the 7 year old who died was ejected. So I guess nit wearing a seat belt?

There was also a fatal crash On foothills and Corey road probably only a mile form this one. As far as I can tell a car ran off of a perfectly straight section of the road, hit a tree and burned.
And people immediately said Foothills is not safe Rolling Eyes

If I was the one sitting there waiting to turn. I would have been watching the traffic coming from behind like a hawk.
I ALWAYS do. I also flash my brake lights off and on sometimes.
(01-30-2018, 11:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Lakeview is about one mile from Kershaw heading west to 62. This was simply a case of the pickup driver not paying attention.
But Already on Facebook people are saying 140 is not safe.. the state needs to do something. or whatever.
Also I read the 7 year old who died was ejected. So I guess nit wearing a seat belt?

There was also a fatal crash On foothills and Corey road probably only a mile form this one. As far as I can tell a car ran off of a perfectly straight section of the road, hit a tree and burned.

If I was the one sitting there waiting to turn. I would have been watching the traffic coming from behind like a hawk.

Absolutely, and put the pedal to the metal if there is no IMMEDIATE response. You can at least lessen the impact.

I try to get my wife to use ALL the mirrors, ALL of the time, but I rarely see her glance at them. She thinks it's safer to be always looking ahead.  Rolling Eyes

Yes, thoughts and prayers to all involved. It must be HORRIBLE to lose a child, especially like that.
(01-30-2018, 11:35 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-30-2018, 11:20 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Absolutely, and put the pedal to the metal if there is no IMMEDIATE response. You can at least lessen the impact.

I try to get my wife to use ALL the mirrors, ALL of the time, but I rarely see her glance at them. She thinks it's safer to be always looking ahead.  Rolling Eyes

Yes, thoughts and prayers to all involved. It must be HORRIBLE to lose a child, especially like that.

Yeah if I know I'm turning left from a highway where people routinely are driving at freeway speed. I plan way ahead and try and make sure no one is very close behind me.

I try to get my wife to use ALL the mirrors, ALL of the time, but I rarely see her glance at them. She thinks it's safer to be always looking ahead.

I think the experts recommend looking every 10 seconds or so. I'm just about always glancing at my mirrors and I have avoided accidents because of that.