Conveniance
(09-19-2018, 08:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:57 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:47 PM)Juniper Wrote: What's 'convenient' for me is having a green can.  But again, it's kind of lame that I have to pay for something completely biodegradable and nothing for recycling I don't use.

eeexactly!

I get that it seems lame But It makes perfect sense. When disposal companies no longer have an outlet to sell or give away recyclables they have to pay the landfill by the ton to dump it there. So of course you have to put them in the grey can you pay for.

Someone has to pay for the driver and the truck and to supply green can. It also takes work to convert all that crap in to compost or chips or whatever. So of course they have to charge.

I won't ever need the green can because I either burn or compost but for those who do.... It sucks because you have to sign up for an entire year when I doubt most would need it in the winter.

I did say "kind of".
I know which is why I said "I get that it seems lame" Big Grin

I picked up on what you were puttin down Big Grin

Well, it definitely comes nder the heading of convenience.  I'd have to have some bins built to try and do any composting  here.
(09-19-2018, 07:46 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:43 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 12:30 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I don't always get the same items... if I have sliced cheddar cheese on my list, I type in "sliced cheddar cheese"... then I choose from the half dozen or so that shows up. Sometimes one or the other may be on sale... I'll usually choose what is on sale; except certain items like cottage cheese or skim rich milk... because sometimes you really do get what you pay for.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Yeah, but I get WEIRD items!  But maybe I'll use it for the normal stuff.
 I have to ask what's so weird LOL

And you said once you had a lot of glass that you couldn't recycle. I forgot to ask.. what do you buy that's in a glass bottle? Wine?
Because we usually don't have any glass to throw away? Inquiring minds LOL
Glass wine bottles can be recycled... in the blue glass bins. Well, where I live any way.

Blue glass bins.  ??? That's all.
No, lots of glass... but wine was mentioned, so I replied about the wine.

(09-19-2018, 09:46 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, but I get WEIRD items!  But maybe I'll use it for the normal stuff.

And you said once you had a lot of glass that you couldn't recycle. I forgot to ask.. what do you buy that's in a glass bottle? Wine?
Glass wine bottles can be recycled... in the blue glass bins. Well, where I live any way.

I was just saying blue bins are not something we  have here.  I wish we did.
It makes me want them put deposits on other things! Of course the recycling center is operating at capacity.
(09-19-2018, 06:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: Yeah, but I get WEIRD items!  But maybe I'll use it for the normal stuff.

There is no pickup for any glass here. Only plastic milk jugs, tin or aluminum cans, Corrugated cardboard and newspaper.
If I couldn't fit all my trash in the 35 gallon can I would not pay for the bigger one . They want 15 dollars more for that.
I could buy a trash compacter instead of paying 15 more bucks a month for ever.

And Juniper, Those things smash bottles and jars. Wink
I wish I could save a few bucks on my bill and ditch the recycle altogether, where the hell is that option??. Not a bad business model to be able to raise rates and provide less service to the customer.
(09-19-2018, 09:54 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:  I have to ask what's so weird LOL

I was just saying blue bins are not something we  have here.  I wish we did.
Oh... yeah, the ones we have resemble a clothes basket. We fill them with clean glass. It's picked up every other week. The other weeks they pick up the yard debris bins... which can also have food scraps and doggy presents .

(09-20-2018, 07:20 AM)GPnative Wrote: I wish I could save a few bucks on my bill and ditch the recycle altogether, where the hell is that option??. Not a bad business model to be able to raise rates and provide less service to the customer.

Sure you can think that if you don't have a clue about the business and what's going on with YOUR trash company like hundreds of others all over.

How much were your rates raised?  You can still recycle Some items because they can still get rid of them for free or maybe sell to cover the cost of getting rid of your recyclables.
You seem to think you are paying for something you are not getting, That's not true.
(09-20-2018, 01:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 07:20 AM)GPnative Wrote: I wish I could save a few bucks on my bill and ditch the recycle altogether, where the hell is that option??. Not a bad business model to be able to raise rates and provide less service to the customer.

Sure you can think that if you don't have a clue about the business and what's going on with YOUR trash company like hundreds of others all over.

How much were your rates raised?  You can still recycle Some items because they can still get rid of them for free or maybe sell to cover the cost of getting rid of your recyclables.
You seem to think you are paying for something you are not getting, That's not true.

Actually we are. The amount our rates were increased a few years ago to subsidize the recycling effort. It's never payed for itself completely. Now we're paying the increased monthly rate but don't have anything to recycle. I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same situation so the recycling pick up is probably using fewer trucks and fewer trips to offload. The moneys going in someones pocket.
(09-20-2018, 03:03 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Actually we are. The amount our rates were increased a few years ago to subsidize the recycling effort. It's never payed for itself completely. Now we're paying the increased monthly rate but don't have anything to recycle. I'm guessing a lot of people are in the same situation so the recycling pick up is probably using fewer trucks and fewer trips to offload. The moneys going in someones pocket.
How much was the increase? You said the rates were increased to "subsidize" that doesn't mean the entire recycle program was paid for by customers.
I think it was probabaly to cover any money they lost by recycling.Which at that time was very little compared to now.

They could have fewer trucks but even if people don't put the recycle can out a guy in a truck still has to drive by. But yes one truck will now cover a lot bigger area.

Anyway you pay less than I do if you have SOS? you pay 18 bucks I pay about $1.50 more.
I think both are still  a bargain.
But why can glass and junk mail be taken to the recycling depot and not put into the cans? See,that's inconvenient, (convenient being the thread title), you know?
(09-20-2018, 05:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: But why can glass  and junk mail be taken to the recycling depot and not put into the cans?  See,that's inconvenient, (convenient being the thread title), you know?

A very good question. I can recycle glass but I have to deliver it to a collection site myself. My guess, since I'm not privy to the recycle collection business decisions, is that broken glass is contaminating the other recyclables in their collection process.

I think Rogue, and probably other collectors too, need to fall back to at least a partially presorted collection process. It never made sense to me when they discontinued that after they'd already geared up for it.
(09-20-2018, 05:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 05:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: But why can glass  and junk mail be taken to the recycling depot and not put into the cans?  See,that's inconvenient, (convenient being the thread title), you know?

A very good question. I can recycle glass but I have to deliver it to a collection site myself. My guess, since I'm not privy to the recycle collection business decisions, is that broken glass is contaminating the other recyclables in their collection process.

I think Rogue, and probably other collectors too, need to fall back to at least a partially presorted collection process. It never made sense to me when they discontinued that after they'd already geared up for it.
I think you're right.
(09-20-2018, 03:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:

How much was the increase? You said the rates were increased to "subsidize" that doesn't mean the entire recycle program was paid for by customers.
I think it was probabaly to cover any money they lost by recycling.Which at that time was very little compared to now.

They could have fewer trucks but even if people don't put the recycle can out a guy in a truck still has to drive by. But yes one truck will now cover a lot bigger area.

Anyway you pay less than I do if you have SOS? you pay 18 bucks I pay about  $1.50 more.

Rogue Disposal & Recycling for about 17.50 /mo.

Not bad but it's the principle of the thing. It eerks me that they would take an increase in monthly billing to subsidize the recycling effort, which I didn't object too, then reduce their recycling service to a point that I can't use the recycling service, but still keeping that money.

Bingo....From RD.... "Recycling processors now consider glass in the commingled stream to be a contaminant. That’s why it has to be completely separated and can no longer be part of our curbside commingled recycling. There are a variety of options throughout the area for dropping off glass for recycling."

I think Rogue, and probably other collectors too, need to fall back to at least a partially presorted collection process

Huh?  Is this not what they did with the four items you can recycle?
(09-20-2018, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Bingo....From RD.... "Recycling processors now consider glass in the commingled stream to be a contaminant. That’s why it has to be completely separated and can no longer be part of our curbside commingled recycling. There are a variety of options throughout the area for dropping off glass for recycling."

I think Rogue, and probably other collectors too, need to fall back to at least a partially presorted collection process

Not at my curb.
(09-20-2018, 05:42 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 03:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Anyway you pay less than I do if you have SOS? you pay 18 bucks I pay about  $1.50 more.

Not bad but it's the principle of the thing. It eerks me that they would take an increase in monthly billing to subsidize the recycling effort, which I didn't object too, then reduce their recycling service to a point that I can't use the recycling service, but still keeping that money.
  What do you mean you can't use the recycling service? Yes you can. They give you the can and they pick up the can with the 4 items you can recycle.

I've never seen anything from RD that told me my bill went up just because of recycling. And you pay even less than I do.
So I seriously doubt your bill ever went up much at all to cover recycling.What ever amount that was they charged extra I totally doubt is is still extra, cost of fuel and everything else goes up ya know.

Where did you get that figure? RD is $19.44 in the city and $20.77 rural.
I'm with Cuzz. The way that Rogue Disposal practices it... it's hardly recycling. The word "recycle" makes one think that they are re-using things that can be re-used... mostly in the name of helping the environment. But RD is only interested in those "recycleables" that they can profit from. I'm okay with paying more if they would take more of the stuff that they don't really want and see to it that it is re-used somehow.
(09-20-2018, 06:02 PM)t Cuzz Wrote:
(09-20-2018, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Not at my curb.
Sorry I still don't know what you mean. How are they going to fall back to a partially presorted collection process when here are only four items they recycle.