Does this sound familiar? Deja Vu all over again
This is why this forum was born LOL. Apparently the MT allows comments AGAIN after all of these years and now they seem mystified that people commenting are too ugly..... STILL Laughing

Nelson: Censorship? We don’t do that    

Posted Jan 24, 2018 at 12:01 AM

Mail Tribune Editor Cathy Noah asked for your thoughts on the comments we now allow on our website, but which generate far more work than seems warranted given the number of people who post them. Responses have streamed in, by email and in comments on mailtribune.com and on the Mail Tribune’s Facebook page.
The problem is a few very vocal and frankly nasty commenters who seem more interested in picking fights with each other and hurling abuse than in discussing the issues of the day in a civil fashion. We asked for your feedback on whether we should end comments entirely.
The response has been mixed. Some say they don’t read the comments and don’t see much value in them; some say keep them, but require commenters to identify themselves rather than hiding behind anonymous screen names.
Then there are those who, predictably, accuse us of censoring views we don’t agree with or being afraid to have our “facts checked.”
We have no problem with people who disagree with us or want to criticize our editorial stances or our news coverage. That comes with the territory. If we make a factual error, we want to know about it so we can correct it.
Allowing comments online is about providing a public forum where people feel comfortable exchanging views without being attacked. Here’s what it’s not about:
It’s not about censorship. The First Amendment (“Congress shall make no law ...”) gives us the right to publish what we wish without the government telling us we can’t. It gives individuals the right to express their views free of government interference. It doesn’t give anyone the right to have those views published in our newspaper or on our website.
It’s not about point of view, despite the claims of some commenters that we seek to silence those with whom we disagree. The question we are asking is whether to end all comments, not to pick and choose.
If online comments were disabled, readers could still submit letters to the editor, as always. Letter writers do have to follow the rules, which include using their real name, adhering to length limits because space in the print edition is limited, and refraining from personal attacks on other writers.

Many readers urged us to continue the comments but review them all to prevent uncivil or threatening posts. We simply don’t have the staff time to do that and still produce a newspaper every day.
We haven’t made a final decision yet; we’re checking on what technical tools may be available to identify users and more effectively block those who refuse to follow the rules. Stay tuned.
— Reach Editorial Page Editor Gary Nelson at gnelson@rosebudmedia.com.
Initially, when the MTForum existed it caused a lot of stir within the walls, (so I was told) because it was SO active. Then they changed it, not so much because there were issues but they just created a new platform. Then old forum existed behind the new 'forum' walls. The new forum was never as dynamic as the old forum, but the old forum became more stagnant because people didn't know it was there. I remember occasionally someone would stumble into it and would remark it was like pulling aside a curtain and finding a hidden room full of people. But inevitably the nastiness prevailed as it did in all the online forums around the Country and the MT decided that that wasn't it's role and dissolved it. Even YouTube has eliminated it's comments, which I liked. I learned a lot from YouTube commentary.
(01-25-2018, 07:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: Initially, when the MTForum existed it caused a lot of stir within the walls, (so I was told) because it was SO active.  Then they changed it, not so much because there were issues but they just created a new platform. Then old forum existed behind the new 'forum' walls. The new forum was never as dynamic as the old forum, but the old forum became more stagnant because people didn't know it was there. I remember occasionally someone would stumble into it and would remark it was like pulling aside a curtain and finding a hidden room full of people.  But inevitably the nastiness prevailed as it did in all the online forums around the Country and the MT decided that that wasn't it's role and dissolved it. Even YouTube has eliminated it's comments, which I liked. I learned a lot from YouTube commentary.

I still see comments on YouTube. Once in awhile I'll see a video where they have disabled the comment section... but I don't see a lot of that.
(01-25-2018, 07:10 PM)GCG Wrote:
(01-25-2018, 07:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: Initially, when the MTForum existed it caused a lot of stir within the walls, (so I was told) because it was SO active.  Then they changed it, not so much because there were issues but they just created a new platform. Then old forum existed behind the new 'forum' walls. The new forum was never as dynamic as the old forum, but the old forum became more stagnant because people didn't know it was there. I remember occasionally someone would stumble into it and would remark it was like pulling aside a curtain and finding a hidden room full of people.  But inevitably the nastiness prevailed as it did in all the online forums around the Country and the MT decided that that wasn't it's role and dissolved it. Even YouTube has eliminated it's comments, which I liked. I learned a lot from YouTube commentary.

I still see comments on YouTube. Once in awhile I'll see a video where they have disabled the comment section... but I don't see a lot of that.

When I watch YouTube I see nothing. There are no comments at all. I've read that Google which owns YouTube disabled it. I like it because I could get turned on to videos and music I'd never seen before. So if you are seeing comments I'd like to know what your secret is.
(01-25-2018, 07:44 PM)Juniper Wrote:

When I watch YouTube I see nothing. There are no comments at all. I've read that Google which owns YouTube disabled it. I like it because I could get turned on to videos and music I'd never seen before. So if you are seeing comments I'd like to know what your secret is.

I see comments and I made one.. just now.

I use the Google's Chrome browser. If Google does, in fact, own YouTube, and they did disable comments... perhaps it's just for those that aren't using Chrome. Just a guess but not unheard of the tech world.

Edit: I just launched YouTube with both IE and Firefox. Comments were visable with both.
Another possibility is that you might need to be logged into your YouTube, (or even Gmail), account to view comments. I would log out but I forgot my password to log back in. Maybe someone else can try it.

edit: Nevermind, that's not it either. Check your browser settings or your YouTube preferences.
I'd clear browser history/cookies, etc. then try.
(01-26-2018, 07:00 AM)GCG Wrote:

I use the Google's Chrome browser. If Google does, in fact, own YouTube, and they did disable comments... perhaps it's just for those that aren't using Chrome. Just a guess but not unheard of the tech world.

Edit: I just launched YouTube with both IE and Firefox. Comments were visable with both.

Weird....I can't and from different computers.  But it's not a secret. Google it and you can find that comments have been stopped. I wonder why I can't see them?
(01-26-2018, 09:02 PM)Juniper Wrote: Weird....I can't and from different computers.  But it's not a secret. Google it and you can find that comments have been stopped. I wonder why I can't see them?

I see them and alway have, I rarely read them though. Should I? Am I missing something valuable?
I try and not sign in to any google entity while on my iPhone and it still knows my preferences. I get YouTube comments on apple.
(01-26-2018, 07:07 AM)GCG Wrote: Another possibility is that you might need to be logged into your YouTube, (or even Gmail), account to view comments. I would log out but I forgot my password to log back in. Maybe someone else can try it.

edit: Nevermind, that's not it either. Check your browser settings or your YouTube preferences.

If your in firefox, click on 'tools' then 'options'
select 'privacy and security then click the 'saved logins' button. look for 'show passwords'
(01-27-2018, 09:39 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(01-26-2018, 07:07 AM)GCG Wrote: Another possibility is that you might need to be logged into your YouTube, (or even Gmail), account to view comments. I would log out but I forgot my password to log back in. Maybe someone else can try it.

select 'privacy and security then click the 'saved logins' button. look for 'show passwords'
No, that wasn't it.  But I AM glad we talked about this. Because of this thread I figured it out, so thank you!  As it turns out there is a New YouTube and the Old YouTube.  All my devices are tuned to the new YouTube. I don't know why, but I suspect something to do with updates.  There is a way to to go into options, if you are signed in on your Google/YouTube account and switch it back to old YouTube.  As soon as I did that I could see the comments again. The look changed also.  I did notice that in the case of the things I looked at, the comments were a bit dated. Some over two years old. I expect that that might be a little like when people stopped knowing the old MTF was there.
(01-27-2018, 11:02 AM)Juniper Wrote:

No, that wasn't it.  But I AM glad we talked about this. Because of this thread I figured it out, so thank you!  As it turns out there is a New YouTube and the Old YouTube.  All my devices are tuned to the new YouTube. I don't know why, but I suspect something to do with updates.  There is a way to to go into options, if you are signed in on your Google/YouTube account and switch it back to old YouTube.  As soon as I did that I could see the comments again. The look changed also.  I did notice that in the case of the things I looked at, the comments were a bit dated. Some over two years old. I expect that that might be a little like when people stopped knowing the old MTF was there.

A lot of people have googled asking why they can't see the comment, from what I can tell it's because "Restricted Mode" is switched ON.
(01-27-2018, 11:22 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 11:02 AM)Juniper Wrote:

A lot of people have googled asking why they can't see the comment, from what I can tell it's because "Restricted Mode" is switched ON.

Maybe but I spent a LONG time dinking around in the settings and preferences and couldn't get anywhere. Partly because as soon as you do that it reverts back to your GOOGLE settings, not just your YouTube settings, which didn't make one whit of difference to what was happening to my YouTube page.
Actually I just doubled checked that on this computer...restricted was on "off" but I was not getting video on this one. I just now switched it to 'restore old YouTube' and voila! There are the comments!
(01-27-2018, 11:40 AM)Juniper Wrote: Actually I just doubled checked that on this computer...restricted was on "off"  but I was not getting video on this one.  I just now switched it to 'restore old YouTube' and voila!  There are the comments!

Anyway It's good to know Youtube didn't cave in to the trolls who seem to love to make totally rude ugly unnecessary comments.
(01-27-2018, 11:52 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-27-2018, 11:40 AM)Juniper Wrote: Actually I just doubled checked that on this computer...restricted was on "off"  but I was not getting video on this one.  I just now switched it to 'restore old YouTube' and voila!  There are the comments!

Anyway It's good to know Youtube didn't cave in to the trolls who seem to love to make totally rude ugly unnecessary comments.

Yes, because I definitely thought it had.