Subaru's rock
(03-19-2018, 07:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 06:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: But when they go, they go...I had a used subaru and everything was so expensive to fix!  I had a bypass ignition under the dash...Used to start it with a screwdriver, because it was so expensive to replace whatever it was ...the ignition or starter, can't remember.
What year?
I don't think Subaru's cost any more to fix than any  other similar cars in about the same year.

A starter for mine is 52 bucks
A new ignition switch and keys 113 bucks

Hmmmm, it would have been an 80's model...I remember the mechanic said it was the adjustable steering column that made the price so prohibitive.
(03-20-2018, 05:35 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-19-2018, 06:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: But when they go, they go...I had a used subaru and everything was so expensive to fix!  I had a bypass ignition under the dash...Used to start it with a screwdriver, because it was so expensive to replace whatever it was ...the ignition or starter, can't remember.
What year?
I don't think Subaru's cost any more to fix than any  other similar cars in about the same year.

Hmmmm, it would have been an 80's model...I remember the mechanic said it was the adjustable steering column that made the price so prohibitive.

Well at some point just about all vehicles became harder and harder to work on. To the point where most of us can't do the work.

I owned a 1969 Chevy pickup and a 1972 for around 30 years. There was nothing whatsoever that could go wrong with them that I couldn't easily fix.
Plus the parts were readily available and very inexpensive. You could find good motors from 300 to 500 bucks. A transmission for 150 bucks.

Today lot of vehicles that need an engine or transmission are not worth being repaired. The tranny or engine dies and the rig is basically totaled.

On the other side...cars are a LOT safer, more comfortable, get better mileage. And with front wheel drive and all wheel drive they handle better.
(03-21-2018, 04:02 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 05:35 PM)Juniper Wrote:
What year?

Well at some point just about all vehicles became harder and harder to work on. To the point where most of us can't do the work.

I owned a 1969 Chevy pickup and a 1972 for around 30 years. There was nothing whatsoever that could go wrong with them that I couldn't easily fix.
Plus the parts were readily available and very inexpensive. You could find good motors from 300 to 500 bucks. A transmission for 150 bucks.

Today lot of vehicles that need an engine or transmission are not worth being repaired. The tranny or engine dies and the rig is basically totaled.

On the other side...cars are a LOT safer, more comfortable, get better mileage. And with front wheel drive and all wheel drive they  handle better.
  This is what my daughter drives.  It's hilarious.  She's had it for about 10 years I think and still drives it...this isn't it, but it's the same model and color. Hers is much more thrashed looking, but she still drives it.

[Image: 1976_Toyota_Corolla_%28KE36RV%29_station...%29_01.jpg]
I've owned bunches of Corollas, especially wagons,
The best.
(03-23-2018, 06:48 AM)bbbqboy Wrote: I've owned bunches of Corollas,  especially wagons,
The best.

Yeah Toyota's might  be even better cars than Subaru's. It's almost as if they were built by the same people. Razz

Toyota Camry's were awesome, I had a couple of those. They won Car and drivers car of the year for like 10 years in a row or something like that.
Don't all Subarus come with a "COEXIST and/or OBAMA" bumper sticker? Or is it just the Outback? Also, I guess I'll channel my inner Wonky and point out that "Subaru's Rock" describes a rock owned by a Subaru. Where as "Subarus Rock" describes a POV usually reserved for a rabid left-wing nut case... in this case, the latter. Big Grin
(03-23-2018, 12:05 PM)GCG Wrote: Don't all Subarus come with a "COEXIST and/or OBAMA" bumper sticker? Or is it just the Outback? Also, I guess I'll channel my inner Wonky and point out that "Subaru's Rock" describes a rock owned by a Subaru. Where as "Subarus Rock" describes a POV usually reserved for a rabid left-wing nut case... in this case, the latter. Big Grin

Bwa ha..When I wanted a NEW Subaru I actually drove to Ashland to look around Laughing Then when I got there it occurred to me that very few people put a for sale signs on their cars because of good old free Craigslist.

Anyway I assume you are mostly joking and that you only notice Subaru Outbacks that have "COEXIST and/or OBAMA" bumper sticker.
And you DON"T notice the 90 plus percent that don't. Because since I own an Outback I notice all the other ones when I'm driving around and I rarely see the hippie stuff.

Also Wonky, spell check told me to use the damn apostrophe Razz

And if we are going to poke fun at greenies then we shouldn't leave out rednecks. Big Grin

I think some greenies actually drive fuel efficient vehicles because it's the right thing to do. And not because it cost them less. Just like some rednecks drive pickups they don't need just like their cowboy hat and their cowboy boots they don't need. Because they don't give a shit about anything other than their appearance.
(03-23-2018, 11:57 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 06:48 AM)bbbqboy Wrote: I've owned bunches of Corollas,  especially wagons,
The best.

Yeah Toyota's might  be even better cars than Subaru's. It's almost as if they were built by the same people. Razz

Toyota Camry's were awesome, I had a couple of those. They won Car and drivers car of the year for like 10 years in a row or something like that.

Well, if you happen to notice this make/model and color only more thrashed looking driving in the valley it's probably my daughter.  I think she's going to have throw in the towel on it soon though...it's getting harder find necessary parts and just generally harder to keep running. Neither of us are mechanically minded or knowledgeable.
(03-23-2018, 01:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
The best.

Well, if you happen to notice this make/model and color only more thrashed looking driving in the valley it's probably my daughter.  I think she's going to have throw in the towel on it soon though...it's getting harder find necessary parts and just generally harder to keep running. Neither of us are mechanically minded or knowledgeable.
That's about a 1980? Yes it would be hard to find used parts locally. Plus the only auto scrap yard (Vilas) that used to let you pull your own parts, stopped allowing that Sad
They wouldn't have a parts car that old anyway.
(03-23-2018, 01:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
The best.

That's about a 1980? Yes it would be hard to find used parts locally. Plus the only auto scrap yard (Vilas) that used to let you pull your own parts, stopped allowing that Sad

No it's mid 70's   74 or 75 I think.
(03-23-2018, 01:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-23-2018, 01:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
The best.

No it's mid 70's   74 or 75 I think.

Wow, It may be at at the point where it should increase in value.