Insurance (auto/home)
After being with Allstate for over a decade with zero claims I felt they were charging me too much for our policies so I decided to shop around. What I found was yes, they are on the high end of the cost spectrum. I am potentially going to save in the neighborhood of $500/yr if I switch to Safeco. So, is anyone here a happy Safeco customer? Any pro/con reviews to share?

If not Safeco, what company are you with? Maybe I will call them for a quote. Smiling
We're with State Farm.  I'm pretty sure we're getting screwed.  We've been talking about shopping around for 2 years now.
(01-31-2018, 06:43 PM)GPnative Wrote: After being with Allstate for over a decade with zero claims I felt they were charging me too much for our policies so I decided to shop around. What I found was yes, they are on the high end of the cost spectrum. I am potentially going to save in the neighborhood of $500/yr if I switch to Safeco. So, is anyone here a happy Safeco customer? Any pro/con reviews to share?

If not Safeco, what company are you with? Maybe I will call them for a quote. Smiling

I am, but have never had claims either so basically untested other than having them pay for the chips in the windshield that Jiffy Lube does. 

Did you speak with someone at Hart Ins. over on I St? They are terrific and may be able to get you an even better price. If you still have home insurance for your home loan they may be able to lower that also. They beat everyone else we checked with up here by over $200 a year.
(01-31-2018, 07:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 06:43 PM)GPnative Wrote: After being with Allstate for over a decade with zero claims I felt they were charging me too much for our policies so I decided to shop around. What I found was yes, they are on the high end of the cost spectrum. I am potentially going to save in the neighborhood of $500/yr if I switch to Safeco. So, is anyone here a happy Safeco customer? Any pro/con reviews to share?

I am, but have never had claims either so basically untested other than having them pay for the chips in the windshield that Jiffy Lube does. 

Did you speak with someone at Hart Ins. over on I St? They are terrific and may be able to get you an even better price. If you still have home insurance for your home loan they may be able to lower that also. They beat everyone else we checked with up here by over $200 a year.

I did not call them specifically at Hart's, I called 2 other local agents. I'd like to call more but I'm concerned about too many credit checks on our credit reports, they all hit your credit report to run a quote which is really annoying to me.

I was surprised at the pretty big difference in price between same insurance companies from different agents, must come down to commissions.

Regarding Safeco, did they raise your rates a ton after a first year teaser rate??
(01-31-2018, 07:08 PM)Scrapper Wrote: We're with State Farm.  I'm pretty sure we're getting screwed.  We've been talking about shopping around for 2 years now.

Ok, thanks, I was considering calling them, but if you think you are getting screwed you probably are so I won't waste time getting a quote from them.  I am already paying Allstate a premium price, I can't imagine State Farm would beat them by much, if at all.

Did you mean mortgage insurance?
Ok, so I just did some extensive internet research (about 5 mins Razz ) and discovered that insurance quotes are considered a soft hit and while it will appear on a credit report as recent activity, it will not impact your credit score or ability to apply for credit. Now that I know that, I will reckon I will give Hart Ins. a call. Smiling
(01-31-2018, 07:47 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I did not call them specifically at Hart's, I called 2 other local agents. I'd like to call more but I'm concerned about too many credit checks on our credit reports, they all hit your credit report to run a quote which is really annoying to me.

I was surprised at the pretty big difference in price between same insurance companies from different agents, must come down to commissions.

Regarding Safeco, did they raise your rates a ton after a first year teaser rate??

It's been ten years, but I don't think so because THAT would have pissed me off.
(01-31-2018, 07:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yes, but when we rented their renter ins was cheap too.
(01-31-2018, 08:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: Ok, so I just did some extensive internet research (about 5 mins Razz ) and discovered that insurance quotes are considered a soft hit and while it will appear on a credit report as recent activity, it will not impact your credit score or ability to apply for credit. Now that I know that, I will reckon I will give Hart Ins. a call. Smiling

I would call and make an appointment with Deanie Manning, she's been there a long time and very good.
(01-31-2018, 08:18 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 07:52 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yes, but when we rented their renter ins was cheap too.

Thankfully we don't need mortgage insurance, we just have a basic homeowners policy.
(01-31-2018, 08:21 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(01-31-2018, 08:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: Ok, so I just did some extensive internet research (about 5 mins Razz ) and discovered that insurance quotes are considered a soft hit and while it will appear on a credit report as recent activity, it will not impact your credit score or ability to apply for credit. Now that I know that, I will reckon I will give Hart Ins. a call. Smiling

I would call and make an appointment with Deanie Manning, she's been there a long time and very good.

Thumbs Up
You can tie your car insurance up with a mortgage and get a bundled rate.
(01-31-2018, 09:02 PM)chuck white Wrote: You can tie your car insurance up with a mortgage and get a bundled rate.

Yup, that's part of the plan.
So when I posted I rounded, I went over actual #'s this morning and I stand to save $603 per year if I switch to Safeco, that is certainly not "crumbs".
Wow..... I knew Allstate was high, but good grief.

Claim service reviews are less than kind for Safeco, But still, $600 is $600.
(02-01-2018, 08:33 AM)GPnative Wrote: So when I posted I rounded, I went over actual #'s this morning and I stand to save $603 per year if I switch to Safeco, that is certainly not "crumbs".
Wow..... I knew Allstate was high, but good grief.

Claim service reviews are less than kind for Safeco, But still, $600 is $600.

All fine and dandy... until you need 'em! That's scary.

My sister is a Safeco agent.We have home owners insurance with her at $530 a year. But my wife and I have Geico auto insurance because it was a bit cheaper than Safeco.
(02-01-2018, 10:54 AM)tvguy Wrote:

My sister is a Safeco agent.We have home owners insurance with her at $530 a year. But my wife and I have Geico auto insurance because it was a bit cheaper than Safeco.

Have you ever had to file a claim against your home owners with them?
(02-01-2018, 11:16 AM)GPnative Wrote:

No I've never had a claim.
(02-01-2018, 11:59 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-01-2018, 11:16 AM)GPnative Wrote:

No I've never had a claim.

Ok, thanks. I'm not gonna let bad claim reviews sway my decision, I find most people write reviews when bad shit happens and they are mad, there is likely far more success stories than the negative reviews indicate.

Edit to add: One of the agents I called who tried to sell me a policy from a different company actually has Safeco herself, so if an agent is willing to use them, can't be all bad.