Evaluate Your Energy Use
(02-21-2018, 08:22 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:04 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think I will buy a Heat pump water heater. They use roughly half of the power of a standard electric water heater. The standard water heater costs most of us around $700 a year to run.
Right now I can buy a Heat pump water heater at Grovers with a $300.00 instant rebate from energy trust for $794.00. So if that cuts my bill in half then I save $350 a year.
That means It's paid for in just over two years.

This seems like a no brainer to me.Especially considering I will need a new water heater soon and the old style costs $420.00

http://www.reliancewaterheaters.com/prod...r-warranty

Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?
The water heater comes with a heat pump built in to it. It's on top. It uses the heat in the room to heat the water the same way a heat pump works off the outside air when it's above about 40 degrees.

"Heat pump water heaters use electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly. Therefore, they can be two to three times more energy efficient than conventional electric resistance water heaters. To move the heat, heat pumps work like a refrigerator in reverse"

[Image: heat_pump_water_heat.gif?itok=Zk4y6vBI]

So does this sit in your house?
It would cool the air around the tank.
(02-21-2018, 03:22 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think I will buy a Heat pump water heater. They use roughly half of the power of a standard electric water heater. The standard water heater costs most of us around $700 a year to run.
Right now I can buy a Heat pump water heater at Grovers with a $300.00 instant rebate from energy trust for $794.00. So if that cuts my bill in half then I save $350 a year.

This seems like a no brainer to me.Especially considering I will need a new water heater soon and the old style costs $420.00

Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?
The water heater comes with a heat pump built in to it. It's on top. It uses the heat in the room to heat the water the same way a heat pump works off the outside air when it's above about 40 degrees.

"Heat pump water heaters use electricity to move heat from one place to another instead of generating heat directly. Therefore, they can be two to three times more energy efficient than conventional electric resistance water heaters. To move the heat, heat pumps work like a refrigerator in reverse"

Good information to have. Not sure when I will need a new one, but this seems like a good option.

Interesting, Our hot water heater is located in its own dedicated closet in the garage, wonder if that is a good location or bad for this set up. I would think you'd need to put a vent in the door or something.
(02-21-2018, 10:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote: For anyone who used the evaluator, do you recall the typical water temperature they said was going into the water heater? Mine was 61 and I'm just curious what yours was.

I don't remember that question. I have a well so it's pretty cold. I don't know exactly. But unless I'm running a lot of water the water from the well will be in the pressure tank.
And either warming up in the summer or cooling down in the winter.

There wasn't one. It is given to you in "Understanding Your Results", bottom half of the page on the right.

Yeah it says 61 degrees. But I didn't give them that number. It's too warm anyway.
(02-21-2018, 11:17 PM)chuck white Wrote:

Yes house or garage. I think they said in a room that is 40 to 90 degrees. It has to be so many cubic feet.It can't be in a closet. And yes it will cool and dry the air somewhat. Not much I don't think.
(02-22-2018, 08:25 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Interesting, Our hot water heater is located in its own dedicated closet in the garage, wonder if that is a good location or bad for this set up. I would think you'd need to put a vent in the door or something.
I think you would need to get rid of the door.
(02-22-2018, 06:48 AM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Good information to have. Not sure when I will need a new one, but this seems like a good option.
 Well take advantage of the $300 rebate before trump takes it away LOL
(02-22-2018, 09:11 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Hmmm, but then I wouldn't be able to tell my kids anymore that behind that door is a monster that comes out when kids are naughty. Wink
(02-22-2018, 09:06 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 10:53 PM)Valuesize Wrote: There wasn't one. It is given to you in "Understanding Your Results", bottom half of the page on the right.

Yeah it says 61 degrees. But I didn't give them that number. It's too warm anyway.

I was thinking they have a good estimation of average temps coming from city water sources. Of course that number would most likely be the water in the main pipes under the streets. I don't think they considered you folks with well water. 

Is there a way you can check the temperature of the water directly from the well? I'll bet it doesn't change much from winter to summer like city water. Then of course everyone's situation is different as to how the pipes are exposed after they leave the well or the city pipes. I just check my cold water coming out at the kitchen sink. 55 so the 61 must be an average summer/winter temp.
(02-22-2018, 09:24 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-22-2018, 09:11 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:04 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?

Hmmm, but then I wouldn't be able to tell my kids anymore that behind that door is a monster that comes out when kids are naughty. Wink

Twitch Laughing
(02-22-2018, 09:10 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes house or garage. I think they said in a room that is 40 to 90 degrees. It has to be so many cubic feet.It can't be in a closet. And yes it will cool and dry the air somewhat. Not much I don't think.

Well then I'm out. Center of the house behind a panel inside a closet.

So the money you save on heating water, is from heat you take out of the room.
You now have to pay more to heat the room.  If you use electricity to heat the room, it's a wsh and you save nothing.
If you heat with wood, then you have a wood burning hot water heater.
(02-22-2018, 06:21 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-21-2018, 08:04 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Do you have to have a heat pump for this to be practical?  I have a modern air conditioning unit outside on a small slab, but it is not a heat pump,  My heat is from a standard electric forced air furnace.  Would this benefit me?

So the money you save on heating water, is from heat you take out of the room.
You now have to pay more to heat the room.  If you use electricity to heat the room, it's a wsh and you save nothing.

Yes they will cool the room somewhat. I said as much before. That's why they recommend installing them in an Unconditioned room. Like a garage.

Exactly and that's a hell of a lot better than using a 4500 watt hot water heating element.
The same is true with my pellet stove or if people have natural gas heat or oil.

But if you have the heat pump water heater in a conditioned room It would be like having another air conditioner in the summer Big Grin