TV - You on here atm?
Got an electrical question if you are on, if not....I'll delete this soon
I was replacing a light fixture, this particular fixture I know an electrician installed before we moved in. We didn't like it, so installing a new one. Crammed way up in the junction box I spotted a bare copper wire, all painted up but for sure copper. It was NOT hooked up to fixture I removed, the fixture I removed had a green wire just laying there on top. It made me nervous to hook it up if the electrician didn't, but maybe he didn't see it? I had to use needle nose to get to it. Anyway, my gut told me if there is a ground wire I should hook it up, So I did. Got it done, flipped on the breaker and everything seems to be working fine, So I guess it's good to go. I was just nervous about it and was looking for your approval to hook it up  Big Grin   I was perplexed why it would not already be in use and I was scared of unearthing a weird wiring problem. But Like i said, it's working, no blown breakers, so I think it's a success.
(02-17-2018, 01:28 PM)GPnative Wrote: I was replacing a light fixture, this particular fixture I know an electrician installed before we moved in. We didn't like it, so installing a new one. Crammed way up in the junction box I spotted a bare copper wire, all painted up but for sure copper. It was NOT hooked up to fixture I removed, the fixture I removed had a green wire just laying there on top. It made me nervous to hook it up if the electrician didn't, but maybe he didn't see it? I had to use needle nose to get to it. Anyway, my gut told me if there is a ground wire I should hook it up, So I did. Got it done, flipped on the breaker and everything seems to be working fine, So I guess it's good to go. I was just nervous about it and was looking for your approval to hook it up  Big Grin   I was perplexed why it would not already be in use and I was scared of unearthing a weird wiring problem. But Like i said, it's working, no blown breakers, so I think it's a success.

Yeah it sounds  to me like a success. Smiling I think the electrician was just being lazy. You could make a case that the ground wire isn't necessary.. kind of.
When the fixture is grounded property that prevents the possibility that a hot wire could energize the entire metal part of the fixture.
But if that happened you would probably never know it because you could handle the fixture and never get shocked because YOU are not grounded.
If you think about it a regular table lamp is not grounded. They all have a two pronged plug.
(02-17-2018, 01:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 01:28 PM)GPnative Wrote: I was replacing a light fixture, this particular fixture I know an electrician installed before we moved in. We didn't like it, so installing a new one. Crammed way up in the junction box I spotted a bare copper wire, all painted up but for sure copper. It was NOT hooked up to fixture I removed, the fixture I removed had a green wire just laying there on top. It made me nervous to hook it up if the electrician didn't, but maybe he didn't see it? I had to use needle nose to get to it. Anyway, my gut told me if there is a ground wire I should hook it up, So I did. Got it done, flipped on the breaker and everything seems to be working fine, So I guess it's good to go. I was just nervous about it and was looking for your approval to hook it up  Big Grin   I was perplexed why it would not already be in use and I was scared of unearthing a weird wiring problem. But Like i said, it's working, no blown breakers, so I think it's a success.

Yeah it sounds  to me like a success. Smiling I think the electrician was just being lazy. You could make a case that the ground wire isn't necessary.. kind of.
When the fixture is grounded property that prevents the possibility that a hot wire could energize the entire metal part of the fixture.
But if that happened you would probably never know it because you could handle the fixture and never get shocked because YOU are not grounded.
If you think about it a regular table lamp is not grounded. They all have a two pronged plug.

Got it, thanks. Electricity, wiring, etc  is pretty Greek to me, but I know black to black and white to white, outside of that I'm calling a pro  Big Grin
(02-17-2018, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Got it, thanks. Electricity, wiring, etc  is pretty Greek to me, but I know black to black and white to white, outside of that I'm calling a pro  Big Grin

Good for you,  like Clint said.. "A mans gotta know his limitations"  Over the years doing electrical work for people I noticed there are a lot of people who got shocked when they were a kid and since then won't have ANYTHING to do with electricity Laughing Laughing

This was on my business card when I was 45 and it said with 40 years of experience ....... Razz 

[Image: CpEtMLrUAAAigFt.jpg]
(02-17-2018, 02:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 02:36 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Good for you,  like Clint said.. "A mans gotta know his limitations"  Over the years doing electrical work for people I noticed there are a lot of people who got shocked when they were a kid and since then won't have ANYTHING to do with electricity Laughing Laughing

This was on my business card when I was 45 and it said with 40 years of experience ....... Razz 

Laughing
(02-17-2018, 03:48 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 02:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Good for you,  like Clint said.. "A mans gotta know his limitations"  Over the years doing electrical work for people I noticed there are a lot of people who got shocked when they were a kid and since then won't have ANYTHING to do with electricity Laughing Laughing

Laughing

My brother did that with a bobby pin, burned the crap out of his fingers. Surprised   Laughing
(02-17-2018, 04:16 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 02:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: Good for you,  like Clint said.. "A mans gotta know his limitations"  Over the years doing electrical work for people I noticed there are a lot of people who got shocked when they were a kid and since then won't have ANYTHING to do with electricity Laughing Laughing

Laughing

My brother did that with a bobby pin, burned the crap out of his fingers. Surprised   Laughing
Yeah because the bobby pin went in both holes causing a direct short. Surprised That's a good way to get molten metal in your eye.

The knife won't do anything at all to the kid because there is nothing to ground him.
(02-17-2018, 04:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 04:16 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Laughing

Yeah because the bobby pin went in both holes causing a direct short. Surprised That's a good way to get molten metal in your eye.

The knife won't do anything at all to the kid because there is nothing to ground him.

Yeah, he knew he screwed up.
Might as well go full circle on this thread. If anyone wants a great inexpensive flush mount LED light, Costco has one on sale for $19.99. We needed a brighter light on the pantry side of the kitchen and this sucker is great, Worth every penny and a nice clean modern look to it.

link to LED light

Second purchase, I have been wanting to replace our old, crusty porch light for a long time. Costco also has this currently on sale in store for only $15.50! This is the kind of light Home Depot would want $60 bucks for, if not more. So there you go head to Costco if you want to grab a deal on some LED lighting Smiling

Porch light
(02-17-2018, 05:24 PM)GPnative Wrote: Might as well go full circle on this thread. If anyone wants a great inexpensive flush mount LED light, Costco has one on sale for $19.99. We needed a brighter light on the pantry side of the kitchen and this sucker is great, Worth every penny and a nice clean modern look to it.

link to LED light

Second purchase, I have been wanting to replace our old, crusty porch light for a long time. Costco also has this currently on sale in store for only $15.50! This is the kind of light Home Depot would want $60 bucks for, if not more. So there you go head to Costco if you want to grab a deal on some LED lighting Smiling

Porch light

I like the indoor light. That's a good deal. But the porch light is too dim for me. Only equivalent to a 40 watt bulb and you can't put in a different bulb in it.
(02-17-2018, 05:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 05:24 PM)GPnative Wrote: Might as well go full circle on this thread. If anyone wants a great inexpensive flush mount LED light, Costco has one on sale for $19.99. We needed a brighter light on the pantry side of the kitchen and this sucker is great, Worth every penny and a nice clean modern look to it.

link to LED light

Porch light

I like the indoor light. That's a good deal. But the porch light is too dim for me. Only equivalent to a 40 watt bulb and you can't put in a different bulb in it.

Yes, true, adequate for our application though, I have much brighter auto on garage door wall lights on the front of the house where we need the majority of light.
(02-17-2018, 05:57 PM)GPnative Wrote:

link to LED light

Porch light

Yes, true, adequate for our application though, I have much brighter auto on garage door wall lights on the front of the house where we need the majority of light.
I wish a lot more people were like you. Some peoples porch lights are so bright it's ridiculous.I was just noticing yesterday that I need more outdoor lighting.
I'm thinking about putting some of these up. Like one on the back of my house and two on my shop.
I bought about 8 of these a few years back because I knew they were a hot ebay item but like a ton of other things I just hoarded them LOL.

[Image: x443lv.jpg]
(02-17-2018, 06:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm thinking about putting some of these up. Like one on the back of my house and two on my shop.
I bought about 8 of these a few years back because I knew they were a hot ebay item but like a ton of other things I just hoarded them LOL.

That thing looks like a beast, doubles as a tanning light.  Wink
(02-17-2018, 06:45 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 06:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm thinking about putting some of these up. Like one on the back of my house and two on my shop.

That thing looks like a beast, doubles as a tanning light.  Wink

Yeah they originally had those great big bulbs with the big screw shell bases ( mogul based) You have to screw in an adapter to use a medium based bulb which is the common one we all use.
I just plan on using LED's maybe the equivalent of a 75 watt bulb.

I'll have to bend some conduit in to what we used to call a goose neck like this.....

[Image: troy-rlm-lighting-rs16mbk3ll23.jpg]

link to LED light

Porch light

Now that it is dark i went out to admire my new light, I must say it is much brighter than expected, certainly more so than a standard 40 watt incandescent imo
(02-17-2018, 07:25 PM)GPnative Wrote:

link to LED light

Porch light

Now that it is dark i went out to admire my new light, I must say it is much brighter than expected, certainly more so than a standard 40 watt incandescent imo

I guess it's just because it's different kind of light. One would think the LED is about the same brightness as a 40 watt incandescent like they claim.
I have LED lights that replaced the 32 watt florescent tubes and they seem brighter than the original.
(02-17-2018, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:

link to LED light

Porch light

I guess it's just because it's different kind of light. One would think the LED is about the same brightness as a 40 watt incandescent like they claim.
I have LED lights that replaced the 32 watt florescent tubes and they seem brighter than the original.

The CFL take longer to get to full brightness than LED. Especially in sub freezing temps.
(02-17-2018, 07:52 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-17-2018, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:

link to LED light

Porch light

The CFL take longer to get to full brightness than LED. Especially in sub freezing temps.

Actually I've always thought 40W was totally adequate for a porch. But I don't usually read out there. Razz