RIP Stephen Hawking
(03-21-2018, 08:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 07:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 06:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-20-2018, 06:23 PM)GCG Wrote: I don't understand how Hawking imagined that we would be able to survive on another world. It's damn tough to figure out how to actually get there in the time allowed, (we are talking light years after all), but it took eons for us to evolve to fit in HERE. Even if we managed to get someplace else, could we evolve quick enough to survive there?

But I guess I must concede that he was just a tad brighter than I... so maybe I missed something.
I thought the exact same thing. I think what he meant was we would create an environment to fit our needs. And that would keep the human race alive if the earth was destroyed in one of those scenarios.

I think he was hoping for a time, when enough people live off planet, domed cities on the moon, orbiting space stations, etc, that when an event (without warning) wipes off the surface of the earth. That a few people would be able to come back and start over.

It would seem he was less concerned where people lived and more that the population was spread out to enough dispersed locations to insure survival of the species in the case of a extinction event at any one location.

Rumor has it that he faked his death and he is really in Elon Musk's Tesla car.

[Image: iss979-jpp026134117.jpg]

Someone should really Photoshop him in there.   Big Grin
(03-21-2018, 08:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 08:20 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 07:37 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 06:57 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-21-2018, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: I thought the exact same thing. I think what he meant was we would create an environment to fit our needs. And that would keep the human race alive if the earth was destroyed in one of those scenarios.

I think he was hoping for a time, when enough people live off planet, domed cities on the moon, orbiting space stations, etc, that when an event (without warning) wipes off the surface of the earth. That a few people would be able to come back and start over.

It would seem he was less concerned where people lived and more that the population was spread out to enough dispersed locations to insure survival of the species in the case of a extinction event at any one location.

Rumor has it that he faked his death and he is really in Elon Musk's Tesla car.

[Image: iss979-jpp026134117.jpg]

Someone should really Photoshop him in there.   Big Grin

For years, I think of the movie 'Weekend with Bernie' when I see him on stage. I picture some guy behind the curtain, typing into a speck n spell.