Local OTA TV
Seems there is a new local over the air TV station, channel 12.3 real crime, full time. I think they're doing this just for TV.   Razz
(03-15-2018, 08:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Seems there is a new local over the air TV station, channel 12.3 real crime, full time. I think they're doing this just for TV.   Razz

What is channel 12.3 ?

Is that VHF or UHF?
(03-15-2018, 08:23 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-15-2018, 08:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Seems there is a new local over the air TV station, channel 12.3 real crime, full time. I think they're doing this just for TV.   Razz

What is channel 12.3 ?

Is that VHF or UHF?

That should be VHF.
(03-15-2018, 08:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

What is channel 12.3 ?

Is that VHF or UHF?

That should be VHF.
My knob only turns to whole numbers. Is channel 12.3 between Channel 13 and channel 12?
Maybe the fine tuning knob can get me there.
No UHF OTA broadcasts in our area.
12.3 is terrible.
26.3 is much better.
I'd never watched Blue Bloods, for one.
I guess reception varies depending upon where you are. I know mine changes with time of day and even weather. I can move my homemade antenna just a foot or two and bring in a channel or not.

Still, it beats paying $900 a year or more for cable.   Smiling
(03-16-2018, 09:49 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I guess reception varies depending upon where you are. I know mine changes with time of day and even weather. I can move my homemade antenna just a foot or two and bring in a channel or not.

Is it indoor or outdoor antenna?

Also, an amplified antenna is a must, It doesn't matter how close you are to a tower, an amplified antenna makes all the difference in the world.

What is channel 12.3 ?

Is that VHF or UHF?

Vhf Uhf , what ever it takes.
(03-16-2018, 07:40 AM)bbqboy Wrote: 12.3 is terrible.
26.3 is much better.
I'd never watched Blue Bloods,  for one.

It's pretty corn ball. All the shows are basically the same. They just change a few minor things.

We watch it. I make fun of Tom Selleck all the time because his favorite thing to do in every episode is to exhale heavily.
So then I do it to piss off the wife Razz
I get a channel with Direct TV that's all about crimes stuff.

Anyway as we speak I put my TV on antenna mode and it's scanning looking for channels.
It probably won't find any since I don't have an antenna.

OK no luck. I guess I need to get an antenna.
(03-16-2018, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: I get a channel with Direct TV that's all about crimes stuff.

Anyway as we speak I put my TV on antenna mode and it's scanning looking for channels.
It probably won't find any since I don't have an antenna.

OK no luck. I guess I need to get an antenna.

Yeah, the TV KNOWS!!   Laughing
I used an indoor antenna for a long time, it served me well but was more prone to signal interference. I finally got around to installing an outdoor antenna and it has been great, solid signal on all networks. I can't stress enough, whether indoor or outdoor, get an amplified one.
(03-16-2018, 12:03 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 09:49 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I guess reception varies depending upon where you are. I know mine changes with time of day and even weather. I can move my homemade antenna just a foot or two and bring in a channel or not.

Also, an amplified antenna is a must, It doesn't matter how close you are to a tower, an amplified antenna makes all the difference in the world.

Mine's an indoor contraption I built out of scrap wood and coat hangers. I wanted to see if I could get the local news OTA before spending good money on a store bought antenna. To my astonishment, my piece of junk antenna ended up working better then the store bought amplified one I got. So that's what I'm still using.

Home made antenna = about 27 channels!
Store bought antenna = about 22 channels.

I keep meaning to make a better looking one but it works so it's not high priority.   Big Grin
(03-16-2018, 12:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
26.3 is much better.

It's pretty  corn ball. All the shows are basically the same. They just change a few minor things.

We watch it. I make fun of Tom Selleck all the time because his favorite thing to do in every episode is to exhale heavily.
So then I do it to piss off the wife Razz

I can't do Blue Bloods, My wife watches it, and I give her a hard time about it, but it jumped the shark for me in season 1. They had an entire story line that just disappeared, like they wrote themselves into a corner and said, ahh fuck it.

The family dinner table scenes annoy me.
(03-16-2018, 01:52 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Mine's an indoor contraption I built out of scrap wood and coat hangers. I wanted to see if I could get the local news OTA before spending good money on a store bought antenna. To my astonishment, my piece of junk antenna ended up working better then the store bought amplified one I got. So that's what I'm still using.

I keep meaning to make a better looking one but it works so it's not high priority.   Big Grin

The coat hangers work more as a telescoping antenna which is better for VHF, the new fancy marketed stuff, flat panels, etc, are better suited for UHF, that's why a set of rabbit ears in our area will outperform most any other option.
(03-16-2018, 01:57 PM)GPnative Wrote:

The coat hangers work more as a telescoping antenna which is better for VHF, the new fancy marketed stuff, flat panels, etc, are better suited for UHF, that's why a set of rabbit ears in our area will outperform most any other option.

I would describe mine as more of a phased bow-tie style like the one in this link. It seems to work equally well on vhf or uhf.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture...v-antenna/
(03-16-2018, 02:08 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-16-2018, 01:57 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I would describe mine as more of a phased bow-tie style like the one in this link. It seems to work equally well on vhf or uhf.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/culture...v-antenna/

Yup, that'll work.
Can you still get METAL coat hangars?

Have you guys seen the coat hanger and balancing penny trick? I've been doing this for people for my whole life. I can't even remember where I learned this.
Anyway I've been at people homes and they don't have a metal coat hangar. And if they do, the new ones are co thin it's vary hard if not impossible to balance the penny.

Here it is...

26.3 is much better.

Blue Bloods is like the serious cop version of "Last Man Standing."