Self driving cars?
https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/art...765481.php

I'm curious how Mr Tempe Police Chief came to that conclusion. From all the video clips and articles I've seen of the incident, it most definitely was Uber's or the cars fault. Well at least 90%-10% their fault shared with the vic.

I'll guess he's judging by the video and what he believes his reaction time would be. However the self driving car has more sensors available and should have seen the pedestrian easily and at least have applied some brakes. It didn't.

Wonder what you're worth when a Uber Auto Car uses you for a speed bump?
(03-24-2018, 12:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote: https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/art...765481.php

I'm curious how Mr Tempe Police Chief came to that conclusion. From all the video clips and articles I've seen of the incident, it most definitely was Uber's or the cars fault. Well at least 90%-10% their fault shared with the vic.

I'll guess he's judging by the video and what he believes his reaction time would be. However the self driving car has more sensors available and should have seen the pedestrian easily and at least have applied some brakes. It didn't.

What do you mean From all the video clips and articles I've seen of the incident,

You haven't seen the only one that matters. The one showing the woman stepping right in front of the car.

From viewing the videos, “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir said. The police have not released the videos.

I think the consensus is that a driver would have not had enough time to react and swerve or stop. So are we supposed to expect so much more from a machine? I mean when someone basically jumps in front of your car
(03-24-2018, 01:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 12:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote: https://www.sfchronicle.com/business/art...765481.php

What do you mean From all the video clips and articles I've seen of the incident,

You haven't seen the only one that matters. The one showing the woman stepping right in front of the car.

From viewing the videos, “it’s very clear it would have been difficult to avoid this collision in any kind of mode (autonomous or human-driven) based on how she came from the shadows right into the roadway,” Moir said. The police have not released the videos.

I think the consensus is that a driver would have not had enough time to react and swerve or stop. So are we supposed to expect so much more from a machine? I mean when someone basically jumps in front of your car

It doesn't appear to me that she jumped, stepped or otherwise appeared suddenly out from behind another object. She appeared to be walking slowly and steadily across the street. In the videos I've seen she appears suddenly in the headlights but you should remember this car was in self drive mode. The human driver wasn't actively controlling the vehicle and yes, the "machine" should be way faster then a human. It had other sensors available that don't require an object to be visible in the headlights. It doesn't require headlights at all for object detection. One article indicated the vehicle had LIDAR and RADAR so it should have detected her in enough time to brake. It would seem the sensors failed, the control software failed or was insufficient or the control was not initiated or acted upon to the brakes or other avoidance system.

It wasn't the human drivers fault. It was the vehicle systems or the control program at fault. Of course that's my opinion based upon the information available. I'm pretty certain the police chief doesn't understand how the self driving cars (should) work and is wrong.
(03-24-2018, 02:20 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

It doesn't appear to me that she jumped, stepped or otherwise appeared suddenly out from behind another object. She appeared to be walking slowly and steadily across the street. In the videos I've seen she appears suddenly in the headlights but you should remember this car was in self drive mode. The human driver wasn't actively controlling the vehicle and yes, the "machine" should be way faster then a human. It had other sensors available that don't require an object to be visible in the headlights. It doesn't require headlights at all for object detection. One article indicated the vehicle had LIDAR and RADAR so it should have detected her in enough time to brake. It would seem the sensors failed, the control software failed or was insufficient or the control was not initiated or acted upon to the brakes or other avoidance system.

It wasn't the human drivers fault. It was the vehicle systems or the control program at fault. Of course that's my opinion based upon the information available. I'm pretty certain the police chief doesn't understand how the self driving cars (should) work and is wrong.

What the hell? You saw a video of the woman being hit? It says the police have not released the videos.

I want to know how a computer is supposed to know the intention of a pedestrian. If I'm driving I often see people walking towards the front of my car only to stop at the last second as I drive by.
Normally the person sees me and I see them so of course I don't brake.
So how is a computer supposed to know the pedestrian in that situation is aware of the car and will stop?

Is it just supposed to slam on the brakes in those situations?

Anyway I see what you are saying. You think the uber car should react faster than a human. I get that. But what about the scenario above. I mean how does a computer judge what a pedestrian is about to do?

Anyway it just seems odd that we can blame the car but not the driver. In other words in any normal car with a human at the wheel that women would be dead. By her own recklessness.
(03-24-2018, 02:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What the hell? You saw a video of the woman being hit? It says the police have not released the videos.

I want to know how a computer is supposed to know the intention of a pedestrian. If I'm driving I often see people walking towards the front of my car only to stop at the last second as I drive by.
So how is a computer supposed to know the pedestrian in that situation is aware of the car and will stop?

Anyway I see what you are saying. You think the uber car should react faster than a human. I get that. But what about the scenario above. I mean how does a computer judge what a pedestrian is about to do?

Anyway it just seems odd that we can blame the car but not the driver. In other words in any normal car with a human at the wheel that women would be dead. By her own recklessness.

The video shows she was in the middle of the road not just stepping into the road. I don't see how intention even comes into question. She was already there.

The computer should have easily detected an obstacle and slowed, braked, steered around, taken evasive action, something. Even if it couldn't identify that object as a pedestrian, and it should easily, it still shouldn't hit it. If it doesn't then it's going to get really dangerous to be anywhere around self driving cars. This sort of thing should have been addressed before on the road testing even starts. I think Uber is taking shortcuts in an attempt to get ahead. I get that but it's criminal.

And yes, the Uber car should be way faster then any human even if that human is watching, which this one wasn't.

(03-24-2018, 02:58 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-24-2018, 02:33 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The video shows she was in the middle of the road not just stepping into the road. I don't see how intention even comes into question. She was already there.

The computer should have easily detected an obstacle and slowed, braked, steered around, taken evasive action, something. Even if it couldn't identify that object as a pedestrian, and it should easily, it still shouldn't hit it. If it doesn't then it's going to get really dangerous to be anywhere around self driving cars. This sort of thing should have been addressed before on the road testing even starts. I think Uber is taking shortcuts in an attempt to get ahead. I get that but it's criminal.

And yes, the Uber car should be way faster then any human even if that human is watching, which this one wasn't.

Yes NOW that I see the video I agree the car should have reacted. Especially considering the lady was crossing the other lane.
I thought she just enters form the right not the left.
And if the guy was driving and paying attention I can see how he could still hit the woman.

I don't see how intention even comes into question. She was already there.

Yes I agree but I was thinking about other scenarios like I mentioned.