The No-Trump thread.
(04-20-2018, 02:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-20-2018, 11:16 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-08-2018, 07:00 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Open thread about anything EXCEPT politics.
I'll start.
Do you like lamb? Have you always or is it an acquired taste?

I didn't grow up eating it, we were a beef and pork household,
with freshwater fish like bluegill and crappie, caught not bought, thrown in occasionally.

Back to tastes in foods...I cannot not stomach the taste of oysters.  Yech.

Nor do I but I used to like the little canned smoked oysters .

That sounds worse!
Oyster Stew is wonderful though.
(04-20-2018, 09:31 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Oyster Stew is wonderful though.

We used to make mussel chowder. At low tide, you could pick a shit load of mussels off the rocks. We'd steam them and then plug them from the shells and into the chowder.   Smiling
Jeez, I love mussels too. Maybe it was growing up in Kansas that made me love seafood.
(04-21-2018, 05:05 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Jeez, I love mussels too. Maybe it was growing up in Kansas that made me love seafood.

Never could enjoy them much. They were always the first choice for bait since they abundant and free, but after sitting in the sun they could get nasty.
I'm not sure about mussels. I like lots of seafood and shellfish in general. No oysters though. Can't remember mussels.
(04-21-2018, 05:05 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Jeez, I love mussels too. Maybe it was growing up in Kansas that made me love seafood.

It's usually the other way around. You end up loving your local cuisines.  I commented in another thread about avocados.  There's a whole new generation of vegans about, and you'd think they invented avocados.  Problem is, they hate them. Laughing   I just grew up with them. To me they are just food.  Along with artichokes, seafood, Mexican food, and smoothies. Smoothies are also big with the healthfood crowd, but back in my day, they were just an everyday kind of coastal food.  A healthier alternative to a milk shake.  I used to get avocado and alfalfa sprout sandwiches at the surfboard shop with strawberry smoothies.  Today's crowd seems to feel they have invented the avocado, the smoothie and sprouts and to me, they were just what we all ate.

I read a book a LONG time ago and the author  that what foods you liked or disliked had to do with where your ancestors came from.
In the past most people didn't migrate so if you lived near the ocean then your ancestors probably are sea food for hundreds of generations.
And the loved of sea food was passed down to you.
The same with people who lived on the plains and ate a lot of grains.These are the people who love bread, rolls, biscuits etc.
That's why I moved!
Big Grin
(04-21-2018, 12:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I read a book a LONG time ago and the author  that what foods you liked or disliked had to do with where your ancestors came from.
In the past most people didn't migrate so if you lived near the ocean then your ancestors probably are sea food for hundreds of generations.
The same with people who lived on the plains and ate a lot of grains.These are the people who love bread, rolls, biscuits etc.
I like seafood, but I don't care much for some northern European seafood...foods like mackeral, and sardines...but I like the rest. And all the foods kind of known in the British Isles (England,Scotland, Ireland etc) seem perfectly fine to me.  
I wonder if that author would also apply other traits to genetic lines.  Like:  The Irish are prone to depression, or that  Huns (eastern Europeans) are supposedly fierce.   

I have my doubts about these popular DNA tests that are out now. People are getting them and acting like it's their bible, or Rosetta stone.  But I'm still out on this.
(04-21-2018, 05:21 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

Never could enjoy them much. They were always the first choice for bait since they abundant and free, but after sitting in the sun they could get nasty.

I should mention, they are poisonous in the summer months. The old saying was only eat them in months that have a 'R'.

I believe the official season is October to March. But you have to really check with the health dept. All because of red tide.
(04-22-2018, 07:36 AM)Juniper Wrote:

I like seafood, but I don't care much for some northern European seafood...foods like mackeral, and sardines...but I like the rest. And all the foods kind of known in the British Isles (England,Scotland, Ireland etc) seem perfectly fine to me.  
I wonder if that author would also apply other traits to genetic lines.  Like:  The Irish are prone to depression, or that  Huns (eastern Europeans) are supposedly fierce.   

I have my doubts about these popular DNA tests that are out now. People are getting them and acting like it's their bible, or Rosetta stone.  But I'm still out on this.
The author of that book even believed that he could tell your ancestry by the shape of your head Big Grin

I haven't heard that about the Irish, how do drunks get depressed? And the vikings Or the people from the Nordic countries were most definitely fierce. As well as the English.
But instinctual behaviors are definitely handed down in humans just like they are in animals and I imagine those may depend on your ancestors way of life for thousands of years.

Well as far as where you came from the DNA tests IMO are accurate. I haven't bothered because I know I'm from England. I've been able to trace my ancestry back to a man from England.
(04-22-2018, 01:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:

The author of that book even believed that he could tell your ancestry by the shape of your head Big Grin

I haven't heard that about the Irish, how do drunks get depressed? And the vikings Or the people from the Nordic countries were most definitely fierce. As well as the English.
But instinctual behaviors are definitely handed down in humans just like they are in animals and I imagine those may depend on your ancestors way of life for thousands of years.

Well as far as where you came from the DNA tests IMO are accurate. I haven't bothered because I know I'm from England. I've been able to trace my ancestry back to a man from England.

I recently listened to a news story where the author of the story had her DNA test done with one of those companies...her mother was from Sicily and had a generational line there.  But the test showed no southern Italian markers.  So, it kind of makes you wonder.
(04-22-2018, 01:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-22-2018, 01:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I recently listened to a news story where the author of the story had her DNA test done with one of those companies...her mother was from Sicily and had a generational line there.  But the test showed no southern Italian markers.  So, it kind of makes you wonder.

I just copied, pasted and googled part of what you typed and it took me right to the news story you listened to. Big Grin

It's interesting and it does explain mostly what makes you.... kind of wonder.

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-shot...es-italian