Recylcing at Rogue Disposal
My wife received a nastygram from from Rogue Disposal stating that certain itmes that we'd been placing in the red bin are not acceptable for recycling. So I did a quick search for an article that I read a few weeks ago. 

From: http://www.mailtribune.com/news/20180401...hink-again

"Cardboard, plastic milk jugs, newspapers and cans that customers place in Rogue Disposal’s curbside-recycling bins are being dumped in the landfill, contrary to statements made on the company’s website and in fliers.

“Most go to the landfill,” confirmed Garry Penning, spokesman for Rogue Disposal. Just a small number of “test” loads are currently being sent to recycling processing centers to assess how well local residents keep contamination such as Styrofoam or plastic garden hoses out of their bins."

But it's not just garden hoses and styrofoam. Even magazines and non-corrugated cardboard are verboten.

After reading a little more it seems that the world market has shifted and there isn't enough value in much of what we've been separating out as recycleable. So I guess we are all supposed to continue to separate under the new guidelines while they figure out what to do.
(04-28-2018, 04:37 PM)GCG Wrote: My wife received a nastygram from from Rogue Disposal stating that certain itmes that we'd been placing in the red bin are not acceptable for recycling. So I did a quick search for an article that I read a few weeks ago. 

"Cardboard, plastic milk jugs, newspapers and cans that customers place in Rogue Disposal’s curbside-recycling bins are being dumped in the landfill, contrary to statements made on the company’s website and in fliers.

“Most go to the landfill,” confirmed Garry Penning, spokesman for Rogue Disposal. Just a small number of “test” loads are currently being sent to recycling processing centers to assess how well local residents keep contamination such as Styrofoam or plastic garden hoses out of their bins."

But it's not just garden hoses and styrofoam. Even magazines and non-corrugated cardboard are verboten.

After reading a little more it seems that the world market has shifted and there isn't enough value in much of what we've been separating out as recycleable. So I guess we are all supposed to continue to separate under the new guidelines while they figure out what to do.

Yep.

Wow you are way behind on this issue Razz

I created this thread  after we talked all about Rogue disposals new rules on the "lets be real " thread.
https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/s...t=Disposal
(04-28-2018, 05:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 04:37 PM)GCG Wrote: My wife received a nastygram from from Rogue Disposal stating that certain itmes that we'd been placing in the red bin are not acceptable for recycling. So I did a quick search for an article that I read a few weeks ago. 

Yep.

I created this thread  after we talked all about Rogue disposals new rules on the "lets be real " thread.

Well sir.... I did a quick look around but your thread title did not catch my eye being this topic! Now I have to go and read it! Because we are considering getting rid of our red can and I'm guessing this will be related.

NVM. Please direct me to the thread that Juniper must have discussed this topic.
(04-28-2018, 05:27 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 05:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yep.

Well sir.... I did a quick look around but your thread title did not catch my eye being this topic! Now I have to go and read it! Because we are considering getting rid of our red can and I'm guessing this will be related.

NVM. Please direct me to the thread that Juniper must have discussed this topic.

https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/s...=recycling
I STILL have not filled my can since the new policy went into place. My trash can is a lot more full though.
It's here where we talked about it the most....https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/s...ht=recycle
I doubt RD would care if you told them to come and get the red can. I'm keeping mine for sure if nothing more than to be able to get rid of cardboard boxes when I buy a giant TV or anything else that come with a lot of cardboard.We also drink a lot of milk and we get the MMT.
Plus we use at tin least 3 cans a day for our dogs alone

But I could go without it because it doesn't reduce my amount of trash by all that much. My black can, the smaller 32 gal I think.
Is never full, it's about half to 3/4 full the last few weeks.
I'm going to start picking up our dog turds with newspaper and throwing that in the red can. Nazi bastards!
(04-28-2018, 06:07 PM)GCG Wrote: I'm going to start picking up our dog turds with newspaper and throwing that in the red can. Nazi bastards!

I know you are kidding but I actually hear people saying almost the same on FB. Apparently RD is still accepting the 4 items even though they go to the landfill, for now. As a test to see if people can manage to put what supposed to be the proper items and if the items are clean.

One lady was mad  that her items were going to the dump so she said she was going to stop washing her tin cans Blink
(04-28-2018, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:07 PM)GCG Wrote: I'm going to start picking up our dog turds with newspaper and throwing that in the red can. Nazi bastards!

I know you are kidding but I actually hear people saying almost the same on FB. Apparently RD is still accepting the 4 items even though they go to the landfill, for now. As a test to see if people can manage to put what supposed to be the proper items and if the items are clean.

One lady was mad  that her items were going to the dump so she said she was going to stop washing her tin cans Blink

It's that we were being sold on the notion that recycling was being done for the good of the environment. But now we see that it's for profit. I'm okay with it being for profit... but I'm not okay with doing their dirty work to make them money.
(04-28-2018, 06:27 PM)GCG Wrote:

It's that we were being sold on the notion that recycling was being done for the good of the environment. But now we see that it's for profit. I'm okay with it being for profit... but I'm not okay with doing their dirty work to make them money.

Right.  I know I was educated on the selling of recyclables a few years back. Changed my view of it...because, like  you said, I thought is this environmental good deed we were doing.
Can you fill them with water?

What do you mean we are now seeing that recycling is for profit and not the environment? That's not what I get out of any of this. It's both.
If RD had an outlet for their recyclables and were either paid or got rid of it for free it's still being recycled. And that is good for the environment because not as many resources are used to recycle an item than to create a new item.

RD is a for profit organization. IMO they must have had to make SOME profit to pay for all the extra work to pickup all they things that used to go in the red bin.
(04-28-2018, 10:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

What do you mean we are now seeing that recycling is for profit and not the environment? That's not what I get out of any of this. It's both.
If RD had an outlet for their recyclables and were either paid or got rid of it for free it's still being recycled. And that is good for the environment because not as many resources are used to recycle an item than to create a new item.

RD is a for profit organization. IMO they must have had to make SOME profit to pay for all the extra work to pickup all they things that used to go in the red bin.
What I mean is that some of the things that are most certainly recycleable, are no longer being accepted, (as recycleable), because there is no profit in it for Rogue Disposal. If they want to make money at it then they can pick through it. Why should we, the customer, be the ones providing what is essentially free labor by picking out only that part of the trash that is marketable to them? If it's not profitbale for them to pick through it then it's not profitable period. Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider. If they are ALREADY picking the red bins up for free, then I take it all back. But I don't believe that they are.
I just take my trash and throw it in SFL’s yard.
Works like a charm.
(04-29-2018, 08:16 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I just take my trash and throw it in SFL’s yard.
Works like a charm.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

It may be good for the environment, but I believe  that Capitalism can make great things  happen. I also think it can make things drag to a halt..   In other words, if there's not money to be made would they bother would such a program.  I think for a long time, I thought recycling was done 'in house' so to speak. Of course I naively didn't give it any thought.  But I just assumed that it didn't take a trip to Asia to get things done.  Glass has been one of the longest recyclables on the list. I've always heard about glass recycling and we had glass recycle pick up here before anything else. But now no glass is accepted.
(04-29-2018, 09:13 AM)Juniper Wrote:

It may be good for the environment, but I believe  that Capitalism can make great things  happen. I also think it can make things drag to a halt..   In other words, if there's not money to be made would they bother would such a program.  I think for a long time, I thought recycling was done 'in house' so to speak. Of course I naively didn't give it any thought.  But I just assumed that it didn't take a trip to Asia to get things done.  Glass has been one of the longest recyclables on the list. I've always heard about glass recycling and we had glass recycle pick up here before anything else. But now no glass is accepted.

We just started glass recycling. The container is the same size as the small trash can and are on wheels also.  

[Image: 512carts.jpg]
(04-28-2018, 10:42 PM)GCG Wrote:

What I mean is that some of the things that are most certainly recycleable, are no longer being accepted, (as recycleable), because there is no profit in it for Rogue Disposal. If they want to make money at it then they can pick through it. Why should we, the customer, be the ones providing what is essentially free labor by picking out only that part of the trash that is marketable to them? If it's not profitbale for them to pick through it then it's not profitable period. Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider. If they are ALREADY picking the red bins up for free, then I take it all back. But I don't believe that they are.
Your last sentence says it all. You don't know.You just lean towards and assume RD was making a profit by picking up the recyclables. 
That's not my assumption at all. Ashland who still has a contract with a recycle company still accepts all of the things RD USED to accept. But they charge more now for that. 

It just seems to me that when I pay 20 bucks a month for someone to supplies us with a garbage can and they come 4 times a month and pick up the most nasty vile things.
Then IF they were making a profit from the items that could have been recycled? Then good for them.
I just can't imagine they were when they have to supple the big red cans and the trucks to pick them up and the labor to separate all that crap.

Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider

Why on earth would RD or ANYONE work for free?
(04-29-2018, 09:13 AM)Juniper Wrote:

The way I see it If some company makes glass items and they can buy glass, melt it down and re use it cheaper than making new, then of course they will.
But when it becomes more expensive to melt down used glass than to make new of course they won't.
 The same is true for all recyclables. China has grown and their factories have become larger until they are like ours. Because of that and the fact that a lot of what we have been sending was contaminated they no longer save any money using our second hand crap.