Me too movement warriors are out of control
Apparently anyone who thinks this is funny is a pervert. Razz That's what I was called because I said  "ALL boys are "here for your daughter" Why does that have to be interpreted as something perverse?
It's cartoon and it's a joke people.. sheesh lighten up."

It's a company that rents vans and they have this type of funny artwork. If you think it's funny you are a Harvey Weinstien Laughing

[img] https://scontent-sea1-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t...e=5B54BAF7[/img]
(05-03-2018, 03:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: Apparently anyone who thinks this is funny is a pervert. Razz That's what I was called because I said  "ALL boys are "here for your daughter" Why does that have to be interpreted as something perverse?

It's a company that rents vans and they have this type of funny artwork. If you think it's funny you are a Harvey Weinstien Laughing  

I think people these days have a mind set to be hysterical and reactionary. THAT'S been going on for a while now.  Before Me Too.  I don't have any set idea about this van. When I saw it posted I spent some time looking at it and couldn't come up with anything. The best suggestion was it was a band van and represented a group or something.
You saw a thread I was in where people kind of went off the rails when I asked if it mattered that the new proprietor of a local mom and pop store was Hindu. A lot of people over reacted, and those who agreed with me that I was just asking a question, they kept their mouths shut. Hardly anyone would touch that. That went after ME though, for even asking it.
(05-03-2018, 04:41 PM)Juniper Wrote: You saw a thread I was in where people kind of went off the rails when I asked if it mattered that the new proprietor of a local mom and pop store was Hindu. A lot of people over reacted, and those who agreed with me that I was just asking a question, they kept their mouths shut. Hardly anyone would touch that. That went after ME though, for even asking it.

These People feel like they HAVE to enlighten the rest of us who are blind to all of the atrocities in today's world.
I think they feel so strongly about issues they walk around with a chip on their shoulder just hoping to find someone to accuse.
Suddenly I became an example of why there is a "me too" movement.. Blink

I don't know of a good word to describe these people other than social justice warriors.

For some reason today as opposed to the past. The police are racist murdering thugs and beat people for no reason.
And most who see this were not around when the police actually did use clubs and not pepper spray. Or used guns instead of tasers.
Also ALL the food we eat is crap. Modern medicine is killing us and the entire government is corrupt.
Basically in one of if not the greatest places in the WORLD to live.... EVERYTHING is wrong
(05-03-2018, 04:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-03-2018, 03:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: Apparently anyone who thinks this is funny is a pervert. Razz That's what I was called because I said  "ALL boys are "here for your daughter" Why does that have to be interpreted as something perverse?

I think people these days have a mind set to be hysterical and reactionary. THAT'S been going on for a while now.  Before Me Too.  I don't have any set idea about this van. When I saw it posted I spent some time looking at it and couldn't come up with anything. The best suggestion was it was a band van and represented a group or something.
Yeah all I thought all the artwork was to advertise for some business.. Like selling wedding dresses.
But going back to your first post, I don't know if it's Me Too-ers...so much as it is everyone. More to the point, I can't remember that 30 to 50 years ago, movements felt so trite, so superficial. There is something about movements today that do feel that way. And why is that? They are legitimate movements. Me Too is legitimate and real and matters. Black Lives Matter is also. Yet, these movements don't seem as deep as movements in the past. Maybe because social media makes it possible for people to make more superficial. By adding their little "Right!" And "Yeah" to the chorus and not really being part face to face, on the street encounters? By fake news? Or lack of a really clear, identifiable, articulate leader in any movement? I'm not sure what it is. People are angry, but somehow it feels less important. But when the protestors of the protestors run them over with cars, they definitely make it matter.
(05-05-2018, 07:43 AM)Juniper Wrote: But going back to your first post, I don't know if it's Me Too-ers...so much as it is everyone.  More to the point, I can't remember that 30 to 50 years ago, movements felt so trite, so superficial.  There is something about movements today that do feel that way.  And why is that?  They are legitimate movements. Me Too is legitimate and real and matters. Black Lives Matter is also.  Yet, these movements don't seem as deep as movements in the past. Maybe because social media makes it possible for people to make more superficial. By adding their little "Right!"  And "Yeah" to the chorus and not really being part face to face, on the street encounters? By fake news?  Or lack of a really clear, identifiable, articulate leader in any movement?  I'm not sure what it is.  People are angry, but somehow it feels less important.  But when the protestors of the protestors run them over with cars, they definitely make it matter.

Me too and BLM movements differ from some other movements because of the outcome.
I think the results of the Me too movement or BLM differ from the anti war(Vietnam) movement because that had a predictable outcome that actually happened.
We ended the war.

Me Too didn't or won't end women being oppressed. BLM won't end or stop the police from shooting blacks.

I think people today aren't happy if they don't have something to complain about and often it's more of a whine than a legit protest.

At least, their not here for my dog.
(05-05-2018, 12:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 07:43 AM)Juniper Wrote: But going back to your first post, I don't know if it's Me Too-ers...so much as it is everyone.  More to the point, I can't remember that 30 to 50 years ago, movements felt so trite, so superficial.  There is something about movements today that do feel that way.  And why is that?  They are legitimate movements. Me Too is legitimate and real and matters. Black Lives Matter is also.  Yet, these movements don't seem as deep as movements in the past. Maybe because social media makes it possible for people to make more superficial. By adding their little "Right!"  And "Yeah" to the chorus and not really being part face to face, on the street encounters? By fake news?  Or lack of a really clear, identifiable, articulate leader in any movement?  I'm not sure what it is.  People are angry, but somehow it feels less important.  But when the protestors of the protestors run them over with cars, they definitely make it matter.

Me too and BLM movements differ from some other movements because of the outcome.
I think the results of the Me too movement or BLM differ from the anti war(Vietnam) movement because that had a predictable outcome that actually happened.
We ended the war.

Me Too didn't or won't end women being oppressed. BLM won't end or stop the police from shooting blacks.

I think people today aren't happy if they don't have something to complain about and often it's more of a whine than a legit protest.

Well, the black civil rights movements were equally open ended but they seemed less trite than today. I think social media has a part in it. I also think there's another piece I can't quite put my finger on.  Many, many people today seem uneducated. I don't just mean school learning, but less worldly and more entitled. They've never experienced hard times or real struggle or hunger, or poverty;  they can't spell if their phones don't autocorrect.  So their words are more shallow; less convincing. It's an instagram world.  Even all the memes of Trump or whoever in politics. Some are damn funny, but there's an overall shallowness that pervades things.  It's like "Look, I posted this anti Trump meme!  That's how serious I am!"  I feel like that with things like your van photo.  It's kind of like a hysteria.
(05-05-2018, 02:42 PM)Juniper Wrote:

We ended the war.

Well, the black civil rights movements were equally open ended but they seemed less trite than today. I think social media has a part in it. I also think there's another piece I can't quite put my finger on.  Many, many people today seem uneducated. I don't just mean school learning, but less worldly and more entitled. They've never experienced hard times or real struggle or hunger, or poverty;  they can't spell if their phones don't autocorrect.  So their words are more shallow; less convincing. It's an instagram world.  Even all the memes of Trump or whoever in politics. Some are damn funny, but there's an overall shallowness that pervades things.  It's like "Look, I posted this anti Trump meme!  That's how serious I am!"  I feel like that with things like your van photo.  It's kind of like a hysteria.
I agree with all of that.
Maybe it's just that people want some kind of validation for their life? It's too funny how often when I disagree with people I'm told I'm happy with the status quo and with people like me nothing will ever change.
If only they actually knew me.

But yes it's pretty shallow when you disagree with an opinion and that person says or implies that because you are stubborn, stupid, ignorant or whatever.
When they go there it means THEY are stubborn stupid ignorant or whatever.

I think a whole lot of people opinions are only there because of peer pressure. And they base things on feelings, emotions.
Like we SHOULD have unlimited immigration because those people are ONLY looking for a better life.
(05-05-2018, 05:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We ended the war.

Maybe it's just that people want some kind of validation for their life? It's too funny how often when I disagree with people I'm told I'm happy with the status quo and with people like me nothing will ever change.

But yes it's pretty shallow when you disagree with an opinion and that person says or implies that because you are stubborn, stupid, ignorant or whatever.

I think a whole lot of people opinions are only there because of peer pressure. And they base things on feelings, emotions.
Like we SHOULD have unlimited immigration because those people are ONLY looking for a better life.
I agree with that.  The idea that all immigrants are coming to rape your daughters is another POV.
(05-05-2018, 07:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:

We ended the war.

I agree with that.  The idea that all immigrants are coming to rape your daughters is another POV.

Immigrants. Or illegals? There is a big difference is there not? I can assure you that there are many more " bad" guys among the illegals vs legal immigrants as this is self evident with the rule of law being broken by one group... but all coming to rape? No.....

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk
(05-09-2018, 07:25 AM)capitalist pig Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 07:48 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-05-2018, 12:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: Me too and BLM movements differ from some other movements because of the outcome.
We ended the war.

Immigrants. Or illegals?   There is a big difference is there not?  I can assure you that there are many more " bad" guys among the illegals vs legal immigrants as this is self evident with the rule of law being broken by one group...  but all coming to rape?  No.....  

Sent from my SM-G920R4 using Tapatalk

Not so big, the one is a subset of the other. Taking your statement all together, I just don't believe you without supporting evidence. Got any?