Well Juniper, were you able to fit all your trash in the can?
(07-18-2018, 04:01 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 10:42 PM)Juniper Wrote: From stuff that I've read, there are pockets of 'original' English turns of phrase or pronunciation here in the USA. That's because it became like a time capsule in some areas, like the Applachians where the isolated population continued to speak in the vernacular of the 17 century.  In it's own day, some of those phrases might have been common and as Britain grew, it's language grew also, becoming more sophisticated and more cultured to a point that somethings said or pronounced by certain American cultures are viewed in todays modern world as low class or "Americanisms", but the truth is in the blood.

It seems like a lot of the people making the negative comments about how we speak simply aren't very bright.
 It doesn't occur to them that many Americans think their choice or words are goofy?
That it all depends on where the hell you live? And compared to them we have about 50 England's. I'm just saying those comments come from people who think for some reason they are right and we are wrong.

In their minds we are wrong. Of course we know better.   Razz 

The one that bugs me the most is axe instead of ask.   Dry
  Well that mostly blacks but also kind of a New York thing. I mentioned blacks earlier because some have their own language.
It's like they want to sound like idiots.

I aint did nuthin.

Where he at? I don't know, he went out the house. I wish I could do what he do.

I'm picking on blacks but there are southern whites every bit as bad.
(07-18-2018, 04:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 10:42 PM)Juniper Wrote: From stuff that I've read, there are pockets of 'original' English turns of phrase or pronunciation here in the USA. That's because it became like a time capsule in some areas, like the Applachians where the isolated population continued to speak in the vernacular of the 17 century.  In it's own day, some of those phrases might have been common and as Britain grew, it's language grew also, becoming more sophisticated and more cultured to a point that somethings said or pronounced by certain American cultures are viewed in todays modern world as low class or "Americanisms", but the truth is in the blood.

It seems like a lot of the people making the negative comments about how we speak simply aren't very bright.
 It doesn't occur to them that many Americans think their choice or words are goofy?
That it all depends on where the hell you live? And compared to them we have about 50 England's. I'm just saying those comments come from people who think for some reason they are right and we are wrong.

Well that mostly blacks but also kind of a New York thing. I mentioned blacks earlier because some have their own language.

I aint did nuthin.

There are a lot of blacks, that don't sound anything like that.

I'm thinnin  it's mo like a southern poverty talk.
(07-18-2018, 06:50 PM)chuck white Wrote:

I aint did nuthin.

Of course there are but no it's not southern talk at all. The blacks in northern cities are no different. But this is what I see mostly on Live PD and shows like that where the blacks are criminals LOL.
I don't know how good citizen blacks sound Razz I'm kidding mostly.The way blacks speak on Judge Judy or other judge shows can be terrible no matter where they are from.
(07-18-2018, 08:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 06:50 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:  It seems like a lot of the people making the negative comments about how we speak simply aren't very bright.

I aint did nuthin.

Of course there are but no it's not southern talk at all. The blacks in northern cities are no different. But this is what I see mostly on Live PD and shows like that where the blacks are criminals LOL.
I don't know how good citizen blacks sound Razz I'm kidding mostly.The way blacks speak on Judge Judy or other judge shows can be terrible no matter where they are from.

I think it originated from lack of education. But I wonder sometimes if it's morphed into a dialect over time because of community. Does that make sense? I'm obviously not an expert or even particularly knowledgeable of this subject.

My instinct tells me that the real core of this issue is 1.  Americans are traitors.  (they may not literally think that, but it's ingrained) and also 2. America is nternationally powerful and influential.  So, they see a lot more examples of American speech than say New Zealand speech idiosyncrasies.  Also those nations that are still colonies may retain more of Mother Language forms than we do, but that's just a guess. It's all a guess.
I don’t think they have colonies anymore.
(07-18-2018, 09:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:

My instinct tells me that the real core of this issue is 1.  Americans are traitors.  (they may not literally think that, but it's ingrained) and also 2. America is nternationally powerful and influential.  So, they see a lot more examples of American speech than say New Zealand speech idiosyncrasies.  Also those nations that are still colonies may retain more of Mother Language forms than we do, but that's just a guess. It's all a guess.

Another guess. They are jealous or spiteful of us. Our country is superior in many ways so it gives some of them pleasure to find something they believe they are better at.
(07-19-2018, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Another guess. They are jealous or spiteful of us. Our country is superior in many ways so it gives some of them pleasure to find something they believe they are better at.
Mmmm....I don't know if I believe that.

On the other hand I learned last night that if I want to, I can repatriate to New Zealand if I want to, being half a Kiwi. Now, that sounds interesting. Unplugging from American culture. I've heard New Zealand is one of the countries that's living in another age. A kind of slower, quieter time.  But I don't know a soul there.  What would I do?  That would be a humoungous leap of faith to do that all by myself. But, I could learn New Zealandisms! Big Grin
(07-19-2018, 03:56 PM)Juniper Wrote:

On the other hand I learned last night that if I want to, I can repatriate to New Zealand if I want to, being half a Kiwi. Now, that sounds interesting. Unplugging from American culture. I've heard New Zealand is one of the countries that's living in another age. A kind of slower, quieter time.  But I don't know a soul there.  What would I do?  That would be a humoungous leap of faith to do that all by myself. But, I could learn New Zealandisms! Big Grin
What  does it mean being half Kiwi? One of your parents was a citizen?
And what does " I can repatriate to New Zealand" mean.
Why can't anyone move to New Zealand?

Which part don't you believe?
(07-19-2018, 04:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:  It seems like a lot of the people making the negative comments about how we speak simply aren't very bright.

I'm not sure I believe they are jealous of us because our country is superior in so many ways.  I mean what are we superior in that they would care about?
(07-19-2018, 04:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-18-2018, 09:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: My instinct tells me that the real core of this issue is 1.  Americans are traitors.  (they may not literally think that, but it's ingrained) and also 2. America is nternationally powerful and influential.  So, they see a lot more examples of American speech than say New Zealand speech idiosyncrasies.  Also those nations that are still colonies may retain more of Mother Language forms than we do, but that's just a guess. It's all a guess.

I'm not sure I believe they are jealous of us because our country is superior in so many ways.  I mean what are we superior in that they would care about?
Th Grand Canyon? Th Rockies? The great lakes? Hawaii? Farm land considered to be the bread basket of the world?
The Movies we make? the Music we make? The automobiles we make? Our colleges and universities? Our innovation?
The incredible wealth and opportunity we have? The fact that we saved their ass in WW2.

Our TEETH? Razz Razz Razz
(07-19-2018, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 04:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-19-2018, 02:38 PM)tvguy Wrote: Another guess. They are jealous or spiteful of us. Our country is superior in many ways so it gives some of them pleasure to find something they believe they are better at.

Th Grand Canyon? Th Rockies? The great lakes? Hawaii? Farm land considered to be the bread basket of the world?
The Movies we make? the Music we make? The automobiles we make? Our colleges and universities? Our innovation?
The incredible wealth and opportunity we have? The fact that we saved their ass in WW2.

Our TEETH? Razz Razz Razz
OK that last one was funny.  And maybe the WW2 thing. Maybe.