Fires and sensationalism
23 dead and 110 missing .. unbelievable
(11-11-2018, 06:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 06:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 06:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-11-2018, 02:10 PM)tvguy Wrote: WOW no sensationalism here....|

The toll
Here's the latest on the fires:
Camp Fire: The largest of the trio, the Camp Fire has burned 109,000 acres across Northern California and is 25% contained as of Sunday morning, according to Cal Fire. It's destroyed an estimated 6,700 buildings, most of which were homes.
Woolsey and Hill fires: In Southern California, the Woolsey fire has spread to 83,275 acres and was 10% contained, up from 5% the night before. The smaller Hill Fire covered 4,531 acres and was 70% contained. Together, responsible for the destruction of 179 structures, but another 57,000 are threatened, according to fire officials.
Massive evacuations: More than 300,000 people have been forced from their homes statewide. The majority of those residents are in Los Angeles County, where 170,000 were evacuated.

I have a cousin whose home burned to the ground in the Southern California fire.

I'm sorry for them. I haven't lost anything due to wildfire though I've come close a couple times.

Me too we got evacuated once. In 1986 when I lived in the woods out near Wimer.

Yeah, not fun.
1000 people listed missing in the Car fire? WTH? I realize many of these people are just people who fled to safety and are unaccounted for, but that's a really high number!
(11-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: 1000 people listed missing in the Car fire?  WTH?  I realize many of these people are just people who fled to safety and are unaccounted for, but that's a really high number!

Car fire? You mean Camp fire Smiling   This is  an example of what we talked about before. It could have been called the CAMP fire but NOOOOOOOOOOO lets not use a ciry for a location we are all aware of Confused Blink

Also the missing have been on the news for many days. Why the hell don't they make contact with authorities?

I means the ones who aint dead. Razz
(11-19-2018, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 07:04 PM)Juniper Wrote: 1000 people listed missing in the Car fire?  WTH?  I realize many of these people are just people who fled to safety and are unaccounted for, but that's a really high number!

Car fire? You mean Camp fire Smiling   This is  an example of what we talked about before. It could have been called the CAMP fire but NOOOOOOOOOOO lets not use a ciry for a location we are all aware of Confused Blink

Also the missing have been on the news for many days. Why the hell don't they make contact with authorities?

Yeah, that was a typo on my part. All these fires....
(11-19-2018, 07:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I think it's only the camp fire ( paradise) where the 1000 are missing
(11-19-2018, 07:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I'm sorry but I think "Camp Fire" is the worst name for a wild fire I've ever heard.
(11-19-2018, 07:56 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I'm sorry but I think "Camp Fire" is the worst name for a wild fire I've ever heard.

Yeah, that's the first Thing I thought.

Yes,  that's what I meant.  TV is right, these fire names are not helpful.
Agreed on the name, might as well call it the forest fire.
(11-19-2018, 10:16 PM)GPnative Wrote: Agreed on the name, might as well call it the forest fire.

Just call it the region name.  Just call it the "Paradise fire".
Finally some rain and some relief! I hope that the remaining missing are just hunkered down somewhere and not going to be found amongst the destruction. Not get get too politcal but I do know a little about the forested parts of these various burns. Trump made a statement about mis-mismanagement but I don't know who or what entity managed the land where the Camp Fire started, (and he probably didn't either). I imagine, once started, it found it's way onto lands owned and managed by several entities...both public and private. What I do know is what I see every day. Forested areas that are left untended will burn readily and easily and if you try to populate those areas you better damn well do some serious management. Logging can play a key role in that... but it must be logged properly. Thin out the under brush and take enough trees to make room for new growth. And yes "rake" it all up when done. Then burn or chip or hog the piles when done. Replant. Lather, rinse, repeat.
(11-22-2018, 05:00 PM)GCG Wrote: Finally some rain and some relief!  I hope that the remaining missing are just hunkered down somewhere and not going to be found amongst the destruction. Not get get too politcal but I do know a little about the forested parts of these various burns. Trump made a statement about mis-mismanagement but I don't know who or what entity managed the land where the Camp Fire started, (and he probably didn't either). I imagine, once started, it found it's way onto lands owned and managed by several entities...both public and private. What I do know is what I see every day. Forested areas that are left untended will burn readily and easily and if you try to populate those areas you better damn well do some serious management. Logging can play a key role in that... but it must be logged properly. Thin out the under brush and take enough trees to make room for new growth. And yes "rake"  it all up when done. Then burn or chip or hog the piles when done. Replant. Lather, rinse, repeat.
 I would add to that leave some bigger older trees.

And yes "rake"  it all up when done.  

Oh please GCG you know as well as I do no one EVER "raked" anything after logging.Or were you being funny?

When I was logging as well as when I got commercial  firewood permits from the BLM , we had to cut anything that was 12in or taller.
I's getting too old dammit to remember the term used to describe that. It was something like "lop and scatter". Yeah Pretty sure that was it.

Anyway IMO most of the problems that allow fires to spread quickly are simply that when you remove all the big ass trees they are replaced by smaller ones that aren't worth any money and burn easily.

Having said that when a fire is fueled by high wings through bone dry forests at the rate of a football field in three seconds..... Good luck stopping that by ANY forestry methods.
(11-22-2018, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 05:00 PM)GCG Wrote: Finally some rain and some relief!  I hope that the remaining missing are just hunkered down somewhere and not going to be found amongst the destruction. Not get get too politcal but I do know a little about the forested parts of these various burns. Trump made a statement about mis-mismanagement but I don't know who or what entity managed the land where the Camp Fire started, (and he probably didn't either). I imagine, once started, it found it's way onto lands owned and managed by several entities...both public and private. What I do know is what I see every day. Forested areas that are left untended will burn readily and easily and if you try to populate those areas you better damn well do some serious management. Logging can play a key role in that... but it must be logged properly. Thin out the under brush and take enough trees to make room for new growth. And yes "rake"  it all up when done. Then burn or chip or hog the piles when done. Replant. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Oh please GCG you know as well as I do no one EVER "raked" anything after logging.Or were you being funny?

When I was logging as well as when I got commercial  firewood permits from the BLM , we had to cut anything that was 12in or taller.
I's getting too old dammit to remember the term used to describe that. It was something like "lop and scatter". Yeah Pretty sure that was it.

Anyway IMO most of the problems that allow fires to spread quickly are simply that when you remove all the big ass trees they are replaced by smaller ones that aren't worth any money and burn easily.

Having said that when a fire is fueled by high wings through bone dry forests at the rate of a football field in three seconds..... Good luck stopping that by ANY forestry methods.
It's called brush piling and it's done all the time... often using a brush blade on a cat or a skidder. Then it's either processed into chips, biomass... or burned in the winter. So no, no one is out there with a bamboo rake but "raking" it up is a good way of describing what is being done. As to the bigger older trees, they are often left... for many reasons. Most mills are not tooled to mill big diameter trees... 24-32" is a typical max. Also, most mechanical logging methos can't handle the larger trees. And the older trees are often culls anyway.
(11-22-2018, 06:25 PM)GCG Wrote:
(11-22-2018, 05:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It's called brush piling and it's done all the time... often using a brush blade on a cat or a skidder. Then it's either processed into chips, biomass... or burned in the winter. So no, no one is out there with a bamboo rake but "raking" it up is a good way of describing what is being done. As to the bigger older trees, they are often left... for many reasons. Most mills are not tooled to mill big diameter trees... 24-32" is a typical max. Also, most mechanical logging methos can't handle the larger trees. And the older trees are often culls anyway.

Okay you're right I worked on a cable yarder we had to lop and Scatter with chainsaws too steep for any kind of equipment. And no way in hell is raking it up a good description LoL .Trump's a f****** moron who never can find the right words. And I'm glad they no longer go after the giant trees. Hopefully someday the forest will be more like the natural Forests that were here and survived all the burns.
(11-19-2018, 10:54 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-19-2018, 10:16 PM)GPnative Wrote: Agreed on the name, might as well call it the forest fire.

Just call it the region name.  Just call it the "Paradise fire".

Maybe it was called camp fire, because somebody had some marshmallows or some smores.