Cats
Last September I got two cats from the Animal Shelter.
One was very laid back and mellow and friendly and liked to adventure. Once he got out of the house he wouldn't come back till winter set in. The other one was nervous and skittish and and stayed with me and inside all day long with the occasional venture into the world.  Now I've moved and the laid back one won't leave the house and is very sketchy around doorways. The skittish one hardly comes home and loves wandering around and exploring. It's like two different animals. 

Just thought everyone would want to know about that. Smiling Embarrassed
One of my sisters had two cats like you describe. One adventurous and the other one kind of meek. They were mostly indoor cats but on occasion she would let them out. The meek one wouldn't venture very far from the door, the other one would... explore.

One day a dog started stalking the meek one. The adventurous cat came zooming in out of no where and blindsided that dog so hard it could still be running for all I know.   Laughing   He (the cat) seemed awfully proud of himself afterwards.   Laughing
(07-25-2018, 09:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: One of my sisters had two cats like you describe. One adventurous and the other one kind of meek. They were mostly indoor cats but on occasion she would let them out. The meek one wouldn't venture very far from the door, the other one would... explore.

One day a dog started stalking the meek one. The adventurous cat came zooming in out of no where and blindsided that dog so hard it could still be running for all I know.   Laughing   He (the cat) seemed awfully proud of himself afterwards.   Laughing

So, now it's meek kitty who is Magellan.  I think there is a vacant lot or overgrown field nearby and it's hunting haven my daughter said he brought back a mole or a shrew and proudly sat there and crunched each vertebra very methodically before eating it.   Eeew!  That cat kisses me with that mouth!  ...but previous adventure cat rarely leaves the house now.  the move really changed their personalities.  I've never really seen that before and I've had lots of pets and moves.
(07-25-2018, 09:27 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 09:22 PM)Cuzz Wrote: One of my sisters had two cats like you describe. One adventurous and the other one kind of meek. They were mostly indoor cats but on occasion she would let them out. The meek one wouldn't venture very far from the door, the other one would... explore.

So, now it's meek kitty who is Magellan.  I think there is a vacant lot or overgrown field nearby and it's hunting haven my daughter said he brought back a mole or a shrew and proudly sat there and crunched each vertebra very methodically before eating it.   Eeew!  That cat kisses me with that mouth!  ...but previous adventure cat rarely leaves the house now.  the move really changed their personalities.  I've never really seen that before and I've had lots of pets and moves.

That is surprising. I haven't heard of anything like that before. Not that dramatically.
(07-25-2018, 09:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: Last September I got two cats from the Animal Shelter.
One was very laid back and mellow and friendly and liked to adventure. Once he got out of the house he wouldn't come back till winter set in. The other one was nervous and skittish and and stayed with me and inside all day long with the occasional venture into the world.  Now I've moved and the laid back one won't leave the house and is very sketchy around doorways. The skittish one hardly comes home and loves wandering around and exploring. It's like two different animals. 

Perhaps some of your breathing issues are from dander that the smoke exacerbates?
I know someone that if they walk into a house that has a dog or cat within minutes they will be a sniffing, coughing mess.
(07-26-2018, 06:35 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(07-25-2018, 09:08 PM)Juniper Wrote: Last September I got two cats from the Animal Shelter.

Perhaps some of your breathing issues are from dander that the smoke exacerbates?
I know someone that if they walk into a house that has a dog or cat within minutes they will be a sniffing, coughing mess.

Well, could be. It's hard to tell. I thought I'd notice, moving from wall to wall carpeting to no carpeting, and I didn't really have any problems here till the smoke hit.  So, I didn't get a chance to compare. But I had breathing issues last year with the smoke BEFORE I got the cats. I got the cats to be mousers before I knew I was moving but after the fires.