Realtors!
My oldest daughter got married in June and is expecting a baby at the end of Feb. So, like any rational woman, she wants to upgrade her house, like now! Being her father, I cautioned restraint and suggested that she wait until the baby arrived and they had a better grasp on the expenses involved with a pregnancy and raising a family. She saw the extreme wisdom in my advice and reluctantly agreed. 

It came as no surprise to me that the very next afternoon she and her hubby had found the perfect house! They came over to our house just bubbling with excitement. Being the grumpy, killjoy that I am... I was skeptical. They explained about what a great deal it was... so great that they had to act fast. Evidently, there was about to be a bidding war. They needed to offer full asking price and to cover all closing costs to even be considered for the privilege of buying this hidden gem. Other offers were imminent! 

I said "bullshit" to many of their claims but I really had no way of knowing for sure... other than years of experience. I finally convinced them to wait until morning. I gave them my solemn vow that those other offers were a realtor's ploy and I would be surprised if the house was sold when they woke up. I also agreed to have a look at the place when I got home from work the next day... you know, on the highly unlikely chance that it hadn't been snatched up already.

Well, my little girl called in the morning. Surprise, surprise! The house was still available! Not even one offer as yet. After work I kept my promise and had a look around. After I had convinced them to take a pass on the place... we headed home. By around 7PM her realtor called. Guess what! The owner was out of town and was very eager to deal. They would reduce the asking price and pay all fees! The transformation was complete. The place went from being the Taj Mahal to being a 30 year prison sentence in hell just like that.

Chalk one up for grumpy dad.
Where is this Camelot?
Wish I had a grumpy, killjoy of a dad.
(09-14-2018, 08:46 AM)Juniper Wrote: Wish I had a grumpy, killjoy of a dad.

I’ve yet to reconcile the fact I AM that dad with the deluded belief that I’m still the kid.  Smiling
(09-14-2018, 08:44 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Where is this Camelot?

White City, of course.
(09-14-2018, 07:23 AM)GCG Wrote: My oldest daughter got married in June and is expecting a baby at the end of Feb. So, like any rational woman, she wants to upgrade her house, like now! Being her father, I cautioned restraint and suggested that she wait until the baby arrived and they had a better grasp on the expenses involved with a pregnancy and raising a family. She saw the extreme wisdom in my advice and reluctantly agreed. 

It came as no surprise to me that the very next afternoon she and her hubby had found the perfect house! They came over to our house just bubbling with excitement. Being the grumpy, killjoy that I am... I was skeptical. They explained about what a great deal it was... so great that they had to act fast. Evidently, there was about to be a bidding war. They needed to offer full asking price and to cover all closing costs to even be considered for the privilege of buying this hidden gem. Other offers were imminent! 

I said "bullshit" to many of their claims but I really had no way of knowing for sure... other than years of experience. I finally convinced them to wait until morning. I gave them my solemn vow that those other offers were a realtor's ploy and I would be surprised if the house was sold when they woke up. I also agreed to have a look at the place when I got home from work the next day... you know, on the highly unlikely chance that it hadn't been snatched up already.

Well, my little girl called in the morning. Surprise, surprise! The house was still available! Not even one offer as yet. After work I kept my promise and had a look around. After I had convinced them to take a pass on the place... we headed home. By around 7PM her realtor called. Guess what! The owner was out of town and was very eager to deal. They would reduce the asking price and pay all fees! The transformation was complete. The place went from being the Taj Mahal to being a 30 year prison sentence in hell just like that.

Good for you that they listened to you. I mean after all WTF do you know that they don't? Razz I have grand kids that know more than me.
(09-14-2018, 02:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-14-2018, 07:23 AM)GCG Wrote: My oldest daughter got married in June and is expecting a baby at the end of Feb. So, like any rational woman, she wants to upgrade her house, like now! Being her father, I cautioned restraint and suggested that she wait until the baby arrived and they had a better grasp on the expenses involved with a pregnancy and raising a family. She saw the extreme wisdom in my advice and reluctantly agreed. 

Good for you that they listened to you. I mean after all WTF do you know that they don't? Razz  I have grand kids that know more than me.

It also depends on what schools are in the neighborhood the particular house. Up here the homes with good schools get bid up $20,000 or more than list price AND you have to write a letter to the owner explaining why they should pick YOU over the six other offers they have.  Laughing We got out-bid three times before finding a DEAL very similar sounding to GCG's daughter. One year later we can $40,000 over what we paid.
(09-14-2018, 05:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Good for you that they listened to you. I mean after all WTF do you know that they don't?  I have grand kids that know more than me.

It also depends on what schools are in the neighborhood the particular house. Up here the homes with good schools get bid up $20,000 or more than list price AND you have to write a letter to the owner explaining why they should pick YOU over the six other offers they have.   We got out-bid three times before finding a DEAL very similar sounding to GCG's daughter. One year later we can $40,000 over what we paid.

Same thing happened to my daughter and son-in-law. They recently bought in Progress Ridge. They paid $18k above asking price and there were 3 offers, all with letters... they ended up the chosen family. But there were 4 other homes that they didn't get. It's crazy!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(09-14-2018, 05:07 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Good for you that they listened to you. I mean after all WTF do you know that they don't? Razz  I have grand kids that know more than me.

It also depends on what schools are in the neighborhood the particular house. Up here the homes with good schools get bid up $20,000 or more than list price AND you have to write a letter to the owner explaining why they should pick YOU over the six other offers they have.  Laughing We got out-bid three times before finding a DEAL very similar sounding to GCG's daughter. One year later we can $40,000 over what we paid.
Yes but I was talking in general about how little I know compared to 20 year olds who have seen and done it all....

ON FACEBOOK!! Razz Laughing Laughing