Does anyone have G mail?
(09-17-2018, 01:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 04:48 AM)GCG Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 06:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 05:14 PM)GCG Wrote: I've been slowly migrating my email from Yahoo to Gmail. I'm okay with the speed of gmail. What bothers me is how much I've come to rely on Google. I use Google as my home page.... gmail for email... Chrome for my browser... and my cell phone has all sorts of Google stuff on it. I never appreciated the way that Microsoft invaded my world. I don't know why I'm letting Google do the same thing.  Crying

Who not? Why does it matter?

My very 1st PC came with Windows 95 installed. I turned it on and saw my very 1st desktop. There was an icon on that desktop which was titled, "Get on the Internet." So I clicked it. As I went thru the process I had no way of knowing that THAT way of getting on the internet wasn't the ONLY way to get on the internet. As time went by I realized that my PC was prepackaged with the idea of making money for Microsoft in mind. Their misleading practices have made me suspicious of everyone in that world. If you remember, MS was sued for that type of horseshit time and again. They even wove Internet Explorer, (the Microsoft web browser), into the various Windows OSes in such a way that you would practically be forced to use IE as your default browser. I remember finally installing Netscape's Navigator browser. I felt that I had escaped Microsoft's prison at last. But it turned out the even my Netscape browsing was being monitored by Internet Explorer. Everywhere on the web that I had visited using Navigator was also being saved in the IE history and cookies folders. I could go on and on.... but you get the picture.

OK I see. I use Mozilla Firefox but yes Internet Explorer is still there I guess. Maybe you remember when my PC was running slow I finally figured out I had to  delete my files cookies history and all that stuff on IE.
It was so loaded it took two days to finish.

But still I could care less about Google being my mail and my home page and whatever.

Netscape Navigator was the precursor to Mozilla Firefox.
(09-17-2018, 01:42 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 06:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 05:14 PM)GCG Wrote: I've been slowly migrating my email from Yahoo to Gmail. I'm okay with the speed of gmail. What bothers me is how much I've come to rely on Google. I use Google as my home page.... gmail for email... Chrome for my browser... and my cell phone has all sorts of Google stuff on it. I never appreciated the way that Microsoft invaded my world. I don't know why I'm letting Google do the same thing.  Crying

Who not? Why does it matter?

My very 1st PC came with Windows 95 installed. I turned it on and saw my very 1st desktop. There was an icon on that desktop which was titled, "Get on the Internet." So I clicked it. As I went thru the process I had no way of knowing that THAT way of getting on the internet wasn't the ONLY way to get on the internet. As time went by I realized that my PC was prepackaged with the idea of making money for Microsoft in mind. Their misleading practices have made me suspicious of everyone in that world. If you remember, MS was sued for that type of horseshit time and again. They even wove Internet Explorer, (the Microsoft web browser), into the various Windows OSes in such a way that you would practically be forced to use IE as your default browser. I remember finally installing Netscape's Navigator browser. I felt that I had escaped Microsoft's prison at last. But it turned out the even my Netscape browsing was being monitored by Internet Explorer. Everywhere on the web that I had visited using Navigator was also being saved in the IE history and cookies folders. I could go on and on.... but you get the picture.

OK I see. I use Mozilla Firefox but yes Internet Explorer is still there I guess. Maybe you remember when my PC was running slow I finally figured out I had to  delete my files cookies history and all that stuff on IE.

But still I could care less about Google being my mail and my home page and whatever.

And Mosaic before that. Remember Mosaic?
(09-17-2018, 03:55 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-17-2018, 01:42 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-16-2018, 06:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: Who not? Why does it matter?

And Mosaic before that. Remember Mosaic?

I don't remember Mosaic but I do remember screwing around with an old DOS program to get online and play old DOS based games. It was called Arachne.
My gmail account recently started freezing my Chrome browser. It took me awhile to figure it out but I realized that every time that I went to the "promotions" tab to delete the spam, I was unable to delete anything. Then everything that I tried after that, (including going to any other web address), would time out. I would have to shut down and restart my browser. I ended up signing in with Internet Explorer and deleting all of the promotions email and then deleting the promotions tab itself. Now it works fine. It might have been one of the spam emails that was messing things up... I really don't know. But it was interesting to me the I had to use the competition's browser to fix things in gmail... when I could not do it using Chrome... which I believe is also owned by Google.
(11-23-2018, 09:14 AM)GCG Wrote: My gmail account recently started freezing my Chrome browser. It took me awhile to figure it out but I realized that every time that I went to the "promotions" tab to delete the spam, I was unable to delete anything. Then everything that I tried after that, (including going to any other web address), would time out. I would have to shut down and restart my browser. I ended up signing in with Internet Explorer and deleting all of the promotions email and then deleting the promotions tab itself. Now it works fine. It might have been one of the spam emails that was messing things up... I really don't know. But it was interesting to me the I had to use the competition's browser to fix things in gmail... when I could not do it using Chrome... which I believe is also owned by Google.

I've never deleted the "promotions" Or the "social" junk mail. I just did and it was about 2500 emails Big Grin

I started this thread because Gmails new format is a piece of shit and loads SLOWWWWWW .VS showed me how to go back to the classic style.
That worked great he said.... Go to settings. (the little gear thing upper right side) First choice is go back to classic.

But NOW the option of doing that is gone Sad

(11-23-2018, 05:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 09:14 AM)GCG Wrote: My gmail account recently started freezing my Chrome browser. It took me awhile to figure it out but I realized that every time that I went to the "promotions" tab to delete the spam, I was unable to delete anything. Then everything that I tried after that, (including going to any other web address), would time out. I would have to shut down and restart my browser. I ended up signing in with Internet Explorer and deleting all of the promotions email and then deleting the promotions tab itself. Now it works fine. It might have been one of the spam emails that was messing things up... I really don't know. But it was interesting to me the I had to use the competition's browser to fix things in gmail... when I could not do it using Chrome... which I believe is also owned by Google.

I've never deleted the "promotions" Or the "social" junk mail. I just did and it was about 2500 emails Big Grin

I started this thread because Gmails new format is a piece of shit and loads SLOWWWWWW .VS showed me how to go back to the classic style.
That worked great he said.... Go to settings. (the little gear thing upper right side) First choice is go back to classic.

Correct. Sad
(11-23-2018, 05:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-23-2018, 05:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Correct. Sad

Assholes.. How can they revamp my email and it ends up slower to load? Normally when something gets updated I bitch about it for a while and then I learn that it really is better than the old version.
Not this time.