I have to bite my tongue
I see things for sale on Facebook sites and often I want to make a comment.

Like an add I just saw for a 1991 Nissan maxima. The guys says......

1991 Nissan Maxima

$500
Medford, OR
6 cyl, automatic, 4 dr in decent shape for the year.
Pros; decent tires, good brakes, good on fuel, auto door locks and windows, A/C is cold & the heat is hot, recent tune-up, good tunes, runs great the last time we drove it.
Cons; needs timing belt replaced. I called O'Reilly's and the cost to replace the belt, seals and water pump is between $80. & $100.
It does have a few dents but the body is in good shape.
I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to replacing the timing belt. please reply if you're interested

Well that wound be just for the parts. But the problem is the engine for that car is not a non interference engine.
 That means that the valves in the top part of the engine called the cylinder head will strike the engine pistons in the lower part of the engine if the timing belt breaks.
When this happens, the valves get bent and also put holes in the top of the pistons. Essentially this wrecks the engine and requires replacement.

So the car is worthless other than scrap metal especially since it's so old. I did message the guy and told him as much( about the engine) and I guess anyone considering buying it will know it has an interference engine.

But often I see things that are basically a rip off but you have to bite your tongue. Sad
Well, it's not like he's asking a lot. So, it doesn't seem like he's trying scam anyone.
$500 is about $450 too much
(09-22-2018, 09:04 PM)bbqboy Wrote: $500 is about $450 too much

Yes, I get that, but my point is, I don't think he was trying to rip people off.
(09-22-2018, 09:04 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yes, I get that, but my point is, I don't think he was trying to rip people off.
You're right . I don't think that was his intent .What he said was still misleading as to how to fix the car..... totally!!  it's just the type of post people make where you want to respond

LOL you're damn skippy
(09-22-2018, 07:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: I see things for sale on Facebook sites and often I want to make a comment.

1991 Nissan Maxima

$500
Medford, OR
Pros; decent tires, good brakes, good on fuel, auto door locks and windows, A/C is cold & the heat is hot, recent tune-up, good tunes, runs great the last time we drove it.
Cons; needs timing belt replaced. I called O'Reilly's and the cost to replace the belt, seals and water pump is between $80. & $100.
I don't know what I'm doing when it comes to replacing the timing belt. please reply if you're interested

Well that wound be just for the parts. But the problem is the engine for that car is not a non interference engine.
 That means that the valves in the top part of the engine called the cylinder head will strike the engine pistons in the lower part of the engine if the timing belt breaks.
When this happens, the valves get bent and also put holes in the top of the pistons. Essentially this wrecks the engine and requires replacement.

So the car is worthless other than scrap metal especially since it's so old. I did message the guy and told him as much( about the engine) and I guess anyone considering buying it will know it has an interference engine.

But often I see things that are basically a rip off but you have to bite your tongue. Sad

Was it made clear whether or not the timing belt broke or failed? If it had, then I agree... the car is not worth repairing. But what I see is that it needed to be replaced. I've had several cars that needed the timing belt replaced. Most, if not all, manufacturers give a mileage recommendation for when to replace them, (I'm guessing on that Nissan 100,000), so I had them replaced and kept going. Judging by the ad, I'd guess that the belt failed and the car quit and that's why he hasn't drove it. But that little piece of info is pretty important.

Edit: It also says "recent tune-up" Is it possible that the place that did the tune up told him that he needed to replace the timing belt so he is avoiding driving it so as not to damage the engine?
My general rule is if it doesn’t run and move on it’s own then it isn’t worth the trouble, unless it is a very special something or other.
(09-23-2018, 06:41 AM)GCG Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 07:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: I see things for sale on Facebook sites and often I want to make a comment.

1991 Nissan Maxima

$500
Medford, OR

Was it made clear whether or not the timing belt broke or failed? If it had, then I agree... the car is not worth repairing. But what I see is that it needed to be replaced. I've had several cars that needed the timing belt replaced. Most, if not all, manufacturers give a mileage recommendation for when to replace them, (I'm guessing on that Nissan 100,000),  so I had them replaced and kept going. Judging by the ad, I'd guess that the belt failed and the car quit and that's why he hasn't drove it. But that little piece of info is pretty important.

Edit: It also says "recent tune-up" Is it possible that the place that did the tune up told him that he needed to replace the timing belt so he is avoiding driving it so as not to damage the engine?
Was it made clear whether or not the timing belt broke or failed?

Not exactly clear but he did say "runs great the last time we drove it."  That and the fact that he only wants 500 bucks tells me it doesn't run at all so whether the timing belt broke or slipped it most likely ruined the engine.
It's possible the belt broke when he tried starting the car and so the engine didn't turn over enough to ruin everything.
But there is no way to know without taking the head off.

Also I messaged the guy and told him what I posted here. And I got no reply.