How much do you pay for your cell phone?
(09-19-2018, 07:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 05:05 PM)Cuzz Wrote: $35/mo. for a 1G plan.

How much data do you actually use per month?

Same, only I think I have 3G.

You pay the same as him for 3G?  You two pay 35 a month and that's it? Including everything?
What's everything?

I mean is it exactly 35 bucks? No tax or any other charges?

Anyway I' positive 3G would be all I need.
(09-19-2018, 07:40 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife says we pay 10 bucks a month for my Tablet. I looked at it and used 833 MB in the last 8 days.

That because I have WIFI turned off because it doesn't reach my shop. And the vast majority of that is Youtube 735 MB

I have Youtube on my TV in my house. It came with ROKU and YouTube. So I need to figure out how to get YouTube on the TV in my shop.

You will still need wifi for anything that will allow you to have YT on your TV.
(09-19-2018, 07:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You pay the same as him for 3G?  You two pay 35 a month and that's it? Including everything?
What's everything?

Yes. I actually wanted 1G but allowed them to upsell me.  It's supposed to be 40 but they take off $5.00 for automatic withdrawal.

What's everything?

You need to check coverage. It's easy to find a cheap plan if all you want is to use your phone in the city. If that's all you need then by all means...
(09-19-2018, 08:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: Same, only I think I have 3G.

What's everything?

You need to check coverage. It's easy to find a cheap plan if all you want is to use your phone in the city. If that's all you need then by all means...
True
(09-19-2018, 06:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: Same, only I think I have 3G.

What's everything?

Now I'm confused. I don't want a plan where I can only get internet in the city. Is that what you have?
(09-19-2018, 08:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 06:58 PM)tvguy Wrote: You pay the same as him for 3G?  You two pay 35 a month and that's it? Including everything?
What's everything?

Now I'm confused. I don't want a plan where I can only get internet in the city. Is that what you have?

No. I can get internet anywhere if I can receive a signal. What I was referring to is some companies that provide inexpensive plans have really limited coverage. And roaming isn't always what you expect it to be.
(09-19-2018, 08:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: What's everything?

No. I can get internet anywhere if I can receive a signal. What I was referring to is some companies that provide inexpensive plans have really limited coverage. And roaming isn't always what you expect it to be.

Mine has black out zones, but honestly I haven't been out of the area in like two years.
(09-19-2018, 08:40 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 07:55 PM)tvguy Wrote: I mean is it exactly 35 bucks? No tax or any other charges?

Mine has black out zones, but honestly I haven't been out of the area in like two years.

If that works for you then it's OK. Plus you're saving money compared to what I pay.

Years ago my work phone was AT&T (I think). I was in a pretty remote area but only maybe 100 feet from a US Cell tower. I had absolutely zero signal on my phone. I had to borrow a phone from another person to make a call I had to make. So much for roaming agreements.   Dry
(09-19-2018, 08:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:00 PM)Cuzz Wrote: You need to check coverage. It's easy to find a cheap plan if all you want is to use your phone in the city. If that's all you need then by all means...

If that works for you then it's OK. Plus you're saving money compared to what I pay.

Years ago my work phone was AT&T (I think). I was in a pretty remote area but only maybe 100 feet from a US Cell tower. I had absolutely zero signal on my phone. I had to borrow a phone from another person to make a call I had to make. So much for roaming agreements.   Dry

Yeah I'm not sure about the roaming.   the black out zones were fairly remote and not really a concern for me.  Really having a phone is just an essential. I hardly use it.  (nobody calls me!)  but when you need a phone, you need a phone!  You never know when MPD is going to call you at 3.00 AM to let you know there is a bear in your yard!
(09-19-2018, 09:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: Now I'm confused. I don't want a plan where I can only get internet in the city. Is that what you have?

Yeah I'm not sure about the roaming.   the black out zones were fairly remote and not really a concern for me.  Really having a phone is just an essential. I hardly use it.  (nobody calls me!)  but when you need a phone, you need a phone!  You never know when MPD is going to call you at 3.00 AM to let you know there is a bear in your yard!

Yeah. Only the last time I got a middle of the night call it was a teen age girl and I had no idea what she was trying to tell me. Wrong number of course.
(09-19-2018, 09:14 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 09:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-19-2018, 08:25 PM)Cuzz Wrote: No. I can get internet anywhere if I can receive a signal. What I was referring to is some companies that provide inexpensive plans have really limited coverage. And roaming isn't always what you expect it to be.

Yeah. Only the last time I got a middle of the night call it was a teen age girl and I had no idea what she was trying to tell me. Wrong number of course.

I did have a friend try and call me. She sent texts and photos. She didn't know my number had changed.  Who ever has that number now was replying to her very nasty and dirty.  Eeeww!
I get telemarketers and scammers every damn day. So I turn my phone off before I go to bed. Then of course the next day I forget to turn the ringer back on.
$70/mo @ USCell, for 2 smart phones. Limited data, not sure exactly how much. It's less than a 1gb. It is an old grandfathered plan that so far they have not forced me to change. We do not use much data on our phones, but it's enough that we can if we need to. We just use data over WiFi when and where possible.
We are about at the limit of what I'm willing to pay. Much higher than $70 and I would be seeking new options.
(09-20-2018, 07:10 AM)GPnative Wrote: $70/mo @ USCell, for 2 smart phones. Limited data, not sure exactly how much. It's less than a 1gb. It is an old grandfathered plan that so far they have not forced me to change.  We do not use much data on our phones, but it's enough that we can if we need to. We just use data over WiFi when and where possible.
We are about at the limit of what I'm willing to pay. Much higher than $70 and I would be seeking new options.
I'm paying twice as much as you for close to the same thing. Except I think we have unlimited data.
We have had the same plan for a long time too.
Thanks, I'm getting hosed Big Grin
I took my wife's phone from here to Bandon today. I was very surprised and very happy with the coverage. I had service almost everywhere... with only couple of small dead spots. Tomorrow, I'll take it down to Redding with me. If it passes that test, I'm switching my phone over.
(09-20-2018, 02:11 PM)GCG Wrote: I took my wife's phone from here to Bandon today. I was very surprised and very happy with the coverage. I had service almost everywhere... with only couple of small dead spots. Tomorrow, I'll take it down to Redding with me. If it passes that test, I'm switching my phone over.
So she's on "wing'? And are these smart phones? Do you keep the same phone ?
(09-20-2018, 02:11 PM)GCG Wrote: I took my wife's phone from here to Bandon today. I was very surprised and very happy with the coverage. I had service almost everywhere... with only couple of small dead spots. Tomorrow, I'll take it down to Redding with me. If it passes that test, I'm switching my phone over.

Usually if you stay along major highways and freeways the coverage is pretty good. It's when you get on the back roads and byways and small towns that it becomes an issue.

If you go down the Klamath river from I-5 you're lucky to pick up a radio station. Forget about cell service.
(09-20-2018, 03:10 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Usually if you stay along major highways and freeways the coverage is pretty good. It's when you get on the back roads and byways and small towns that it becomes an issue.

If you go down the Klamath river from I-5 you're lucky to pick up a radio station. Forget about cell service.

Being a log truck driver... I'm pretty familiar with most of the dead spots within 100 mile radius. Going down the Klamath River is certainly one of them. But hwy 42 is also dead for certain carriers. 140 is dead from about Lake Creek to Lake of the Woods. I-5 to Redding has good coverage with most major carriers but it gets very spotty in some parts of the canyon depending on your carrier. Once you leave the cities, Verizon and US Cellular are the clear winners in our area. That's why I was so surprised with Wing.
(09-20-2018, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
So she's on "wing'? And are these smart phones? Do you keep the same phone ?

Yes... you keep your phone. She has an I-phone. I have a Samsung G8. They sent us Sim cards for both and walked my wife through the switch over a few days ago. I am so sick and tired of the major carriers screwing everyone... I'm really hoping that this will work out.

Watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RYLp236VmmI

A quote from the video: "Not many people know this, but you've been getting anally fisted by your phone carrier for years...."

Honestly tvguy... after reading your posts above, this guy is talking to YOU! It's worth the 7 minutes, anyway.