Kitchen Storage
(09-23-2018, 04:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 03:05 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 02:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I want a thing in the kitchen that you mount on the wall so you can pull out and tear off Saran wrap.
My wife says there is no such thing.There sure as hell should be.

Try Cash n Carry. They cary a lot of restaurant grade supplies. I think I've seen something similar to what you are describing. 

Also...

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2008/08/saran-wrap-disp.html

That looks pretty cool, but I think the plastic wrap is easier to use on the counter. We use this from Cash and Carry. I recommend the 18" wide because it will cover larger plates, bowls and bigger cuts of meat. One more thing for your countertop.  Big Grin My wife covered the box with a decorative wallpaper type material that goes well with the overall look of the kitchen. When you need a new one you just replace the roll.   

[Image: REY914SC-900x900.JPG]

I agree. I think it should be placed where you can pull the sheet right over the dish or bowl. But he said mounted on the wall.  Neutral I guess he'll probably pull off a sheet.... trim it to size... then have it bunch up while he packs it over to whatever he wants to preserve... end up wadding it up and throwing it away. I just wanted to help him accomplish his mission.  Rolling Eyes
(09-23-2018, 02:41 PM)tvguy Wrote: I want a thing in the kitchen that you mount on the wall so you can pull out and tear off Saran wrap.

I have a homemade one.  It's in my garage now, I haven't tried to put it up. It holds 3 rolls. One for saran wrap, one for foil, one for paper towels.
(09-23-2018, 04:14 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 04:01 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-23-2018, 03:05 PM)GCG Wrote:

Try Cash n Carry. They cary a lot of restaurant grade supplies. I think I've seen something similar to what you are describing. 

Also...

http://www.bookofjoe.com/2008/08/saran-wrap-disp.html

That looks pretty cool, but I think the plastic wrap is easier to use on the counter. We use this from Cash and Carry. I recommend the 18" wide because it will cover larger plates, bowls and bigger cuts of meat. One more thing for your countertop.  Big Grin My wife covered the box with a decorative wallpaper type material that goes well with the overall look of the kitchen. When you need a new one you just replace the roll.   

I agree. I think it should be placed where you can pull the sheet right over the dish or bowl. But he said mounted on the wall.  Neutral I guess he'll probably pull off a sheet.... trim it to size... then have it bunch up while he packs it over to whatever he wants to preserve... end up wadding it up and throwing it away. I just wanted to help him accomplish his mission.  Rolling Eyes

Who says people aren't being considerate anymore.   Laughing
Might as well go get a shrink wrap machine. Then you could have real fun!
I had this (delicate) conversation with my wife before. She originally set up the kitchen when we moved in. Admittedly she did not put much thought into it. So I steered a few changes to improve the flow. She does the majority of the cooking so when I made my suggestions it was to help her & she agreed some of the changes would be better. Mission accomplished Razz

Now, the one thing for the life of me I can't figure out about her is toilet paper Big Grin Every one knows TP should unroll from the top, my wife always puts it on the roll so it dispensers from underneath. Every time she puts on the roll I switch it so it unrolls from the top. I've never talked to her about it, but I always wonder, does she notice that I change it? She must consciously put it on the other way, because she does it that way 100% of the time, if she didn't care and it was just luck of the draw then law of averages would suggest dispensing from the top would happen some of the time, but it's never. I just continue on in my silent protest of switching the roll around.

It's funny, I felt fine bringing up the kitchen lay out, but no way I'm bringing up TP etiquette. I think it's one of those seemingly minor things that could backfire major. Laughing
(09-22-2018, 10:07 AM)GCG Wrote: My wife and I sometimes disagree on things. Who'd a thunk it? As I look around our kitchen, I can quickly spot everything that she does wrong. But because I am not an idiot, I will list them here rather than make her aware of her mistakes.

1) Coffee cups should be stowed near the coffee pot. They are not.
2) Dish rags should be in a drawer near the sink. Ours are not.
3) Cutting boards, which we use daily, should be easy to get to. They are stowed behind a heavy iron pot that we never use. This one I can let slide because the pot keeps the cutting boards from sliding.
4) Our Kitchen Aid mixer, (Xmas present from me), which she uses twice a year, is taking up valuable real estate on our counter.
5) Frying pans are stored in the oven???? WTF is up with this?
6) New ketchup and other canned goods are on an upper shelf. New mayo, mustard and/or peanut butter are on a lower remote shelf.
7) Syrup is up.... Honey is down.
8) Brown sugar is not kept anywhere near the powdered sugar which is not kept anywhere the granulated or the brown.
9) Oven mitts and pot holders... not near the oven or stove.

There is only one argument that she can make. She does all of the cooking, cleaning, shopping and putting away of stuff. 

But it's still messed up.

Scratch #5. She moved them into a cabinet... on other side of the kitchen from the stove but... baby steps.  Confused
My family has always stored frying pans in the oven.
I’m mystified as to why this bugs you so much, especially because you aren’t the one using them.
(09-24-2018, 11:32 PM)bbqboy Wrote: My family has always stored frying pans in the oven.
I’m mystified as to why this bugs you so much, especially because you aren’t the one using them.

I use the drawer underneath. But not the oven itself.   But people also use their dishwashers as storage areas.
(09-24-2018, 11:32 PM)bbqboy Wrote: My family has always stored frying pans in the oven.

Your idea works great..... until you need to use the oven.
(09-25-2018, 05:48 PM)GCG Wrote:

Exactly, based on that logic, why not store stuff in your car, or the shower.

We keep our three most used pans in the oven where they are conveniently inches from the top of the stove. Having a whole oven sitting empty seems a waste of space really. Especially sine we use our oven at most three or four times a year at which time the pans would be used on the stovetop anyways.
OK... this is the final answer. Oven is ok for pots and pans if you don't have a cabinet or shelf nearby to stow them. However, at our house, we have other handy storage available. How about one of you doing me a solid and telling my wife how I want it done?
(09-25-2018, 06:46 PM)GCG Wrote: OK... this is the final answer. Oven is ok for pots and pans if you don't have a cabinet or shelf nearby to stow them. However, at our house, we have other handy storage available. How about one of you doing me a solid and telling my wife how I want it done?

OK, put her on.  Laughing
(09-25-2018, 06:35 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

We keep our three most used pans in the oven where they are conveniently inches from the top of the stove. Having a whole oven sitting empty seems a waste of space really. Especially sine we use our oven at most three or four times a year at which time the pans would be used on the stovetop anyways.
I have my Pizza Stone, Lasagna Stone and Cast Iron Skillet in the oven. If I need to use the oven, I simply set them on the counter until I'm done using the oven. No big deal.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(09-26-2018, 06:28 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

I have my Pizza Stone, Lasagna Stone and Cast Iron Skillet in the oven. If I need to use the oven, I simply set them on the counter until I'm done using the oven. No big deal.

But your husband isn’t a wannabe dictator...  Big Grin

What's a lasagna stone?
(09-26-2018, 05:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:

What's a lasagna stone?

Mine is a Pampered Chef 10x15 Lasagna Stone. It bakes with a crispiness that's delicious! I also use it for casseroles... sometimes cornbread. But my fav way to cook cornbread is in my cast iron skillet.

[Image: 1470234e5207b2cf2796617781f1d0f4.jpg]

https://www.hungryonion.org/t/where-do-y...pans/14954

I asked the question on one of my food forums.
(09-27-2018, 10:35 AM)bbqboy Wrote: https://www.hungryonion.org/t/where-do-y...pans/14954

I asked the question on one of my food forums.

From your link:

..."A husband, who doesn’t cook, started bitching and moaning about how his wife stores the cooking implements, and especially storing frying pans in the oven..."

Does that phrasology make you feel better about yourself?

And how to you figure the last bit? "and especially storing frying pans in the oven"

Does #5 on my list hold some special significance to you? Seems to me that I ended up acknowledging that the practice made sense in some cases... just not in mine.

And last but certainly not least, the entire list was made for the amusement of anyone,  (particularly married people), that cared to participate. That you chose to take exception and umbrage to it is more of a YOU issue than a ME issue. That said, whatever floats your boat. 
(09-26-2018, 08:12 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(09-26-2018, 05:39 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-25-2018, 05:48 PM)GCG Wrote: Your idea works great..... until you need to use the oven.

What's a lasagna stone?

Mine is a Pampered Chef 10x15 Lasagna Stone. It bakes with a crispiness that's delicious!  I also use it for casseroles... sometimes cornbread. But my fav way to cook cornbread is in my cast iron skillet.

[Image: 1470234e5207b2cf2796617781f1d0f4.jpg]

I've never heard of a lasagna stone. Guess that's what I learned today, although, I'm not sure 'crispy' is how I want my lasagna.