Local News
(10-16-2018, 08:05 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 12:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 12:04 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 11:52 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-15-2018, 10:23 PM)tvguy Wrote: I wish I could remember all the dumb things I've heard these children say on the news.

Just a couple days ago one of them was in the street at a location where a car crash had taken place. There was nothing there to see except a piece plastic trim from the crash.
The girl picked it up and said there were still pieces of the cars on the floor.

I saw that. Youngins spend way too much time indoors I guess.

I find it amazing these kids are coming out of college, obviously with some sort of broadcast journalism degree, and are clueless, and I do mean clueless when it comes to basic syntax and diction.

I think sometimes it might just be nerves when they're new but it happens so much I have to wonder. The good ones don't seem to stick around long.
Nope. this is just job experience.  But it seems like it didn't use to be that way. It seems like years ago, the news people actually stuck around for a bit.

You mean Like Lying Leon Hunsaker and Ron brown?

There are some with plenty of "job experience" who will stay here because the big cities care about there appearance.
John Galfano still works as a musician and he gives out wine samples sporadic Fridays at Shop N Kart.
(10-17-2018, 02:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 12:04 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 11:52 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I saw that. Youngins spend way too much time indoors I guess.

I find it amazing these kids are coming out of college, obviously with some sort of broadcast journalism degree, and are clueless, and I do mean clueless when it comes to basic syntax and diction.

I think sometimes it might just be nerves when they're new but it happens so much I have to wonder. The good ones don't seem to stick around long.
Nope. this is just job experience.  But it seems like it didn't use to be that way. It seems like years ago, the news people actually stuck around for a bit.

There are some with plenty of "job experience" who will stay here because the big cities care about there appearance.

Or....maybe they just want to live here.
(10-17-2018, 08:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 12:04 PM)GPnative Wrote: I find it amazing these kids are coming out of college, obviously with some sort of broadcast journalism degree, and are clueless, and I do mean clueless when it comes to basic syntax and diction.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying The bigger cities who will pay more money aren't going to hire some fat news reporter.
(10-17-2018, 09:44 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 12:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think sometimes it might just be nerves when they're new but it happens so much I have to wonder. The good ones don't seem to stick around long.

That's not what I meant. I'm saying The bigger cities who will pay more money aren't going to hire some fat news reporter.

I think weathermen might be the exception to the attractiveness rule.
People are comforted by getting their weather from rolypoly people. Just think Willard Scott.
(10-18-2018, 08:10 AM)bbqboy Wrote:
(10-16-2018, 08:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: Nope. this is just job experience.  But it seems like it didn't use to be that way. It seems like years ago, the news people actually stuck around for a bit.

I think weathermen might be the exception to the attractiveness rule.
People are comforted by getting their weather from rolypoly people. Just think Willard Scott.
Maybe somewhat. But there was a beautiful blond weather lady( not a kid) on local news. I actually told my wife she wouldn't be around long. And sure as hell boom she left to go to a bigger city.
(10-16-2018, 12:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I think sometimes it might just be nerves when they're new but it happens so much I have to wonder. The good ones don't seem to stick around long.

I knew EXACTLY what you meant.
These local news folks are not a good example. Recent article about homeless camp sweeps spells "cognizant" as "cognoscent"
(09-28-2018, 07:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, we watch the local news, and yes it stinks.
We choose channel 12, because we think it sucks the least, but that's not saying much, it's bad. From the stories they run to the inept reporting, to the "in training" script reading reporters that can barely stammer out the dialog. Some are better than others no doubt, but on the whole, as a local network news source, they stink. (And coats for kids, a very noble cause to be sure, but holy shit do they beat you over the head with it for weeks on end)

I even tried the Fox26 news at 10 for awhile, or whatever the hell it's called, but that is literally about 6 mins of news programming with 24 mins of commercials.

I will watch channel 10 news occasionally when I get fed up with chan12 and need a change or if they are having a particularly bad night. I like their weather guy, Milt Radford, I think he is the last of the actual Meteorologists that have skills in the field and are not just regurgitating computer generated weather models.

The crummy local TV news is a large reason why I still subscribe to the print edition of The Daily Courier, so I can get the local news I want, and as a local independent newspaper in the digital age, I think they do a fine job and I like supporting them. Their coverage of the fires this season was excellent, both in photo and their coverage.

Milt Radford was on Channel 12 and took over as head meteorologist for Scott Lewis when he quit to become a real estate agent just before the bottom dropped out of real estate.  So Scott came back and Milt was shuffled to the back and then retired for a while (I assume he was pissed and I wouldn't blame him).  Milt was good and I wasn't happy about all the shenanigans on Channel 12.  Later Milt went to weekend weather I think on channel 10.

On the original question of local news, I rarely watch it anymore because it is the same "news" that is on Facebook and they just regurgitate it.  It seems they rely on tips and Facebook for all their news.  Very sad indeed.
(12-13-2018, 11:40 PM)Juniper Wrote: These local news folks are not a good example. Recent article about homeless camp sweeps spells "cognizant" as "cognoscent"

I might forgive the spelling but how can I forgive the stupidity of not using spell check?
(12-14-2018, 09:43 AM)Snowlover Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 07:45 AM)GPnative Wrote: Yes, we watch the local news, and yes it stinks.
We choose channel 12, because we think it sucks the least, but that's not saying much, it's bad. From the stories they run to the inept reporting, to the "in training" script reading reporters that can barely stammer out the dialog. Some are better than others no doubt, but on the whole, as a local network news source, they stink. (And coats for kids, a very noble cause to be sure, but holy shit do they beat you over the head with it for weeks on end)

I even tried the Fox26 news at 10 for awhile, or whatever the hell it's called, but that is literally about 6 mins of news programming with 24 mins of commercials.

I will watch channel 10 news occasionally when I get fed up with chan12 and need a change or if they are having a particularly bad night. I like their weather guy, Milt Radford, I think he is the last of the actual Meteorologists that have skills in the field and are not just regurgitating computer generated weather models.

The crummy local TV news is a large reason why I still subscribe to the print edition of The Daily Courier, so I can get the local news I want, and as a local independent newspaper in the digital age, I think they do a fine job and I like supporting them. Their coverage of the fires this season was excellent, both in photo and their coverage.

Milt Radford was on Channel 12 and took over as head meteorologist for Scott Lewis when he quit to become a real estate agent just before the bottom dropped out of real estate.  So Scott came back and Milt was shuffled to the back and then retired for a while (I assume he was pissed and I wouldn't blame him).  Milt was good and I wasn't happy about all the shenanigans on Channel 12.  Later Milt went to weekend weather I think on channel 10.

On the original question of local news, I rarely watch it anymore because it is the same "news" that is on Facebook and they just regurgitate it.  It seems they rely on tips and Facebook for all their news.  Very sad indeed.

Whoa!!! Snowlover???

I'm back to channel 10 now for news, couldn't take channel 12 one more day. Milt is on nightly and he just got some cool new weather software. Big improvement over channel 12 weather.

I don't understand this. Don't all news orgs rely on tips? Their reporters can't be everywhere at once.
(12-14-2018, 05:31 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I'm back to channel 10 now for news, couldn't take channel 12 one more day. Milt is on nightly and he just got some cool new weather software. Big improvement over channel 12 weather.

When I want to see the weather it's recorded. I just fast forward to the 5 day forecast for the Rogue valley, take a look and I'm done.
I could care less who the weather person is.
(12-14-2018, 07:54 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I don't understand this. Don't all news orgs rely on tips? Their reporters can't be everywhere at once.
Clark Kent could.

It would be nice if journalists acted like journalists.  It is okay to get a tip but you are supposed to investigate and answer who, what, why, where, when and how.  You are also supposed to verify.  You are lucky if the news covers more than what, where and when.
(12-19-2018, 05:00 PM)Snowlover Wrote:

It would be nice if journalists acted like journalists.  It is okay to get a tip but you are supposed to investigate and answer who, what, why, where, when and how.  You are also supposed to verify.  You are lucky if the news covers more than what, where and when.
I remember   "who, what, why, where, when and how"  or something close to a Clark Gable movie. I think.

One thing that drive me nuts on the news is when they show a video of something and a huge banner that says BREAKING NEWS or something like that, covers a large portion of the TV screen and sometimes blocks what it is they are trying to show . Rolling Eyes
(12-19-2018, 05:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I remember   "who, what, why, where, when and how"  or something close to a Clark Gable movie. I think.

One thing that drive me nuts on the news is when they show a video of something and a huge banner that says BREAKING NEWS or something like that, covers a large portion of the TV screen and sometimes blocks what it is they are trying to show . Rolling Eyes

It annoys me when one reporter interviews another reporter. Like they're an expert or something.   Dry
(12-19-2018, 05:59 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-19-2018, 05:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-14-2018, 09:43 AM)Snowlover Wrote: Milt Radford was on Channel 12 and took over as head meteorologist for Scott Lewis when he quit to become a real estate agent just before the bottom dropped out of real estate.  So Scott came back and Milt was shuffled to the back and then retired for a while (I assume he was pissed and I wouldn't blame him).  Milt was good and I wasn't happy about all the shenanigans on Channel 12.  Later Milt went to weekend weather I think on channel 10.

It annoys me when one reporter interviews another reporter. Like they're an expert or something.   Dry

Yep, Or when the cut to so and so CLEAR across the Rogue Valley and there's a long pause as if they are connecting to Tel Aviv Laughing

As long as we're on the subject some of them video with their cell phone held the wrong way.
Looks like channel 12 swept their news room again. New faces on the desk and old faces not to be found.