Presidential Alert
What do you all think?

This Wednesday, millions of cell phones will receive a “Presidential alert” straight from the White House. If your phone is on, and in range of a cell tower at 2:18 p.m., it will sound a jarring tone, vibrate, and display an on-screen message. Only the president can initiate such a nationwide alert, and there is no way to opt-out.

https://www.bostonglobe.com/ideas/2018/0...story.html

FEMA: https://www.fema.gov/emergency-alert-test/
(09-30-2018, 11:15 AM)Valuesize Wrote: What do you all think?

This Wednesday, millions of cell phones will receive a “Presidential alert” straight from the White House. If your phone is on, and in range of a cell tower at 2:18 p.m., it will sound a jarring tone, vibrate, and display an on-screen message. Only the president can initiate such a nationwide alert, and there is no way to opt-out.

Why?
(09-30-2018, 11:49 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Why?

It's to notify people in case of some emergency, duh!    .. You seriously earned a "duh" Razz

I think it's a great idea.
(09-30-2018, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why?

It's to notify people in case of some emergency, duh!    .. You seriously earned a "duh" Razz

Uh, the system is an emergency warning system. To enhance or maybe replace the TV and radio based one. This Wednesday is just a test to show everybody it works... or not.

Wonder if I can reply to it?   Smiling
(09-30-2018, 02:45 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Why?

Uh, the system is an emergency warning system. To enhance or maybe replace the TV and radio based one. This Wednesday is just a test to show everybody it works... or not.

Exactly and IMO it will never replace the TV and radio based one. There are some people, friends and even my wife who never seem to be around their phone when I call or text.
(09-30-2018, 02:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 02:45 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Why?

Exactly and IMO it will never replace the TV and radio based one. There are some people, friends and even my wife who never seem to be around their phone when I call or text.

Hope so too.

Why?

Did I TV?  We already have an  EMS service, so I'm asking why?  What would this provide that we don't already have and why do we need it and why do you think it is a great idea?
(09-30-2018, 02:56 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Why?

Did I TV?  We already have an  EMS service, so I'm asking why?  What would this provide that we don't already have and why do we need it and why do you think it is a great idea?
Because not everyone is always listening to a TV or a radio. I think if I was out fishing on the river I might want to know the dam broke.
Or a volcano was erupting, Or a missile was headed this way from N Korea.

And your one word "why" response leaves one to wonder what it is you were actually asking.
(09-30-2018, 03:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why?

Because not everyone is always listening to a TV or a radio. I think if I was out fishing on the river I might want to know the dam broke.

And your one word "why" response leaves one to wonder what it is you were actually asking.

Why do we need a "presidential" alert.  That's my why.  If it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine. We have that here in Jackson County.  But, why is it a Presidential alert?  Why not just a a mobile communication alert attached to the EMS which is already in place?  I'm wondering why it's called "Presidential"?  In no way do the words "Presidential Alert" imply that this is a Federal service.  I didn't read the links.
(09-30-2018, 04:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 11:49 AM)Juniper Wrote: Why?

Why do we need a "presidential" alert.  That's my why.  If it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine. We have that here in Jackson County.  But, why is it a Presidential alert?  Why not just a a mobile communication alert attached to the EMS which is already in place?  I'm wondering why it's called "Presidential"?  In no way do the words "Presidential Alert" imply that this is a Federal service.  I didn't read the links.
The term "presidential alert" as far as I know means nothing.

f it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine. We have that here in Jackson County.

People have to sign up for that. This new thing is NATIONAL for things like the missile attack I mentioned

If it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine.

I'm pretty sure It is.
(09-30-2018, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's to notify people in case of some emergency, duh!    .. You seriously earned a "duh" Razz

f it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine. We have that here in Jackson County.

People have to sign up for that. This new thing is NATIONAL for things like the missile attack I mentioned

If it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine.

I'm pretty sure It is.

Well, just the fact that it's called a "Presidential alert" triggers something in me.
(09-30-2018, 04:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 02:56 PM)Juniper Wrote: Did I TV?  We already have an  EMS service, so I'm asking why?  What would this provide that we don't already have and why do we need it and why do you think it is a great idea?

I'm pretty sure It is.

Well, just the fact that it's called a "Presidential alert" triggers something in me.
No kidding. That stupid term makes it seem like I'm going to be forced to hear Trumps moronic tweets . Laughing
(09-30-2018, 04:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 03:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: Because not everyone is always listening to a TV or a radio. I think if I was out fishing on the river I might want to know the dam broke.

I'm pretty sure It is.

No kidding. That stupid term makes it seem like I'm going to be forced to hear Trumps moronic tweets . Laughing

Exactly!
(09-30-2018, 05:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 04:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: Why do we need a "presidential" alert.  That's my why.  If it's just an addition to the EMS system to have a way to contact people via cell phone, that's fine. We have that here in Jackson County.  But, why is it a Presidential alert?  Why not just a a mobile communication alert attached to the EMS which is already in place?  I'm wondering why it's called "Presidential"?  In no way do the words "Presidential Alert" imply that this is a Federal service.  I didn't read the links.

I'm pretty sure It is.

Exactly!

So does that mean you'll be okay with the term when a Dem gets elected? 

Anyway... Presidential Alert is just stupid. It's probably just an extension of the EBS but Trump might have wanted to make it about HIM. OR, just as likely, someone else wanted us to think that Trump wanted to make it about him... OR... Someone else wanted us to think that someone else wanted to.... <sigh>

The bullshit that goes on is neverending.Try to disengage.
Does the alert count against my minutes ?

You can op-out , by turning off your phone.
(09-30-2018, 05:54 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 04:28 PM)tvguy Wrote: The term "presidential alert" as far as I know means nothing.

I'm pretty sure It is.

Exactly!

Anyway... Presidential Alert is just stupid. It's probably just an extension of the EBS but Trump might have wanted to make it about HIM. OR, just as likely, someone else wanted us to think that Trump wanted to make it about him... OR... Someone else wanted us to think that someone else wanted to.... <sigh>

Clever question, but the answer is no. I think it should just be called a Federal alert.  And I don't like being defined as a Dem by association...or non association.
(10-01-2018, 06:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 05:54 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-30-2018, 04:34 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, just the fact that it's called a "Presidential alert" triggers something in me.

Exactly!

Clever question, but the answer is no. I think it should just be called a Federal alert.  And I don't like being defined as a Dem by association...or non association.

Fair enough.
Got my alert...I feel so alerted

Edit to add: I do think it's pretty lame to call it a "presidential alert"
(10-03-2018, 11:19 AM)GPnative Wrote: Got my alert...I feel so alerted

Edit to add: I do think it's pretty lame to call it a "presidential alert"

Me too but It was probably necessary because of all the people who don't know what the words federal or national mean.
No not kidding. I was I was.
They wouldn't let me respond to the message.   Zipped