High School
With all of the news surrounding the Kavanaugh hearing... I was reminded of an incident that I witnessed in high school. It was the late 70s and I was at a party with a bunch of buddies. There were a lot of people there including people that I didn't really know but that I was acquainted with. This one girl was basically taking on any and every guy that wanted to have a go at her... textbook definition of a gang bang. I was aware of it but not taking part or even watching. So then it got rowdy and it was clear that this one guy was getting abusive with her... verbally and physically. I ended up taking her home... I didn't even know her name. As I dropped her off, she even offered some up to me. I declined, of course. Looking back on it now, I remember that no one really held that guy accountable for what he did. Monday morning at school... it was as if nothing had happened. 

I'd bet to this day that the event doesn't even stand out is his mind as significant. Lucky for us he is not running for office or being nominated for SCOTUS.

I don't know what became of the girl. I'd see her around and she'd wave. Never spoke to her again. I can only imagine what her life must have been like... something went way wrong.
(09-22-2018, 05:49 PM)GCG Wrote: With all of the news surrounding the Kavanaugh hearing... I was reminded of an incident that I witnessed in high school. It was the late 70s and I was at a party with a bunch of buddies. There were a lot of people there including people that I didn't really know but that I was acquainted with. This one girl was basically taking on any and every guy that wanted to have a go at her... textbook definition of a gang bang. I was aware of it but not taking part or even watching. So then it got rowdy and it was clear that this one guy was getting abusive with her... verbally and physically. I ended up taking her home... I didn't even know her name. As I dropped her off, she even offered some up to me. I declined, of course. Looking back on it now, I remember that no one really held that guy accountable for what he did. Monday morning at school... it was as if nothing had happened. 

I'd bet to this day that the event doesn't even stand out is his mind as significant. Lucky for us he is not running for office or being nominated for SCOTUS.

I don't know what became of the girl. I'd see her around and she'd wave. Never spoke to her again. I can only imagine what her life must have been like... something went way wrong.

I was aware of it but not taking part or even watching.

Yeah I can't imagine doing either.. it's sick IMO her and them.
(09-22-2018, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 05:49 PM)GCG Wrote: With all of the news surrounding the Kavanaugh hearing... I was reminded of an incident that I witnessed in high school. It was the late 70s and I was at a party with a bunch of buddies. There were a lot of people there including people that I didn't really know but that I was acquainted with. This one girl was basically taking on any and every guy that wanted to have a go at her... textbook definition of a gang bang. I was aware of it but not taking part or even watching. So then it got rowdy and it was clear that this one guy was getting abusive with her... verbally and physically. I ended up taking her home... I didn't even know her name. As I dropped her off, she even offered some up to me. I declined, of course. Looking back on it now, I remember that no one really held that guy accountable for what he did. Monday morning at school... it was as if nothing had happened. 

Back then she would have just been called a slut. But the likelihood is that she had some serious issues. As to the guys... I can't imagine wanting to be in on anything like that. How is that a turn on?
(09-22-2018, 06:00 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-22-2018, 05:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Back then she would have just been called a slut. But the likelihood is that she had some serious issues. As to the guys... I can't imagine wanting to be in on anything like that. How is that a turn on?
Yes how is it, sheesh
I have mixed feelings about bringing up an event from the days of yore -party days when everyone was getting fucked up. And I questioned if that poor judgment and action should be the end all be all of the trajectory of one's life. What Actually influences more that that, is watching Kavanaugh's complete lack of composure under pressure and scrutiny.
And his obvious lying about subjects that the senators and even the public already knew the answer already. Drinking age. for instance. Or boofing and his Devil's Triangle. Which I didn't know. We took drugs the old fashioned patriotic way, by mouth like God intended!
Smiling
(09-28-2018, 10:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: I have mixed feelings about bringing up an event from the days of yore -party days when everyone was getting fucked up.  And I questioned if that poor judgment and action should be the end all be all of the trajectory of one's life.  What Actually influences more that that, is watching Kavanaugh's complete lack of composure under pressure and scrutiny.

I agree to the extent that if he did some bad shit 30 years ago... is it as relevant, (as the person that he is right now), to his ability to be a good judge? I believe that all of it matters. I don't like that Trump is automatically defending him nor do I like that this wasn't brought up as soon as it became known.

Back to the bad judgement... and I'm not talking about Kavanaugh here but about the times that I grew up in. This was prior to AIDS.... in fact, herpes was just becoming an issue at the time. But, looking back at it, I think that there was a lot gray area between out and out rape, and total consent. For example:

*Taking advantage of a drunk or drugged person. The person was coherent but probably not thinking too clearly

*Being the one that gave the alcohol or drugs to the person and then taking advantage.. Again, coherent.

*Telling bold faced lies in order to get laid.

All of the above could be described as consensual but what state of mind should someone be in to be able to give consent? Should it be illegal to have sex when impaired? Does it matter how you became impaired? If you willingly take drugs and then have sex is it your own fault if you regret it after the fact? 

Just some things to consider.
At this point I'm more bothered by Kavanaugh's inability to respond under pressure and his emotional volubility.  Not someone I want in this position. He shows up very badly. Hmmm, a LOT like Trump.   Neutral
Kavanaugh seems to have committed the cardinal sin of supreme court justicing. He's shown animosity toward one of the major political parties on broadcast television. I personally believe everyone has a political bias of some sort. That's unavoidable. Supreme court justices aren't supposed to succumb to those biases so publicly (at least). Tends to diminish the public trust.

If he doesn't realize that then he's probably out of his league.
(09-29-2018, 07:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Kavanaugh seems to have committed the cardinal sin of supreme court justicing. He's shown animosity toward one of the major political parties on broadcast television. I personally believe everyone has a political bias of some sort. That's unavoidable. Supreme court justices aren't supposed to succumb to those biases so publicly (at least). Tends to diminish the public trust.

If he doesn't realize that then he's probably out of his league.

This I agree with.
[Image: 01ccd37e9a9474088b50fe34446e72bb.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(09-29-2018, 05:16 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-28-2018, 10:19 PM)Juniper Wrote: I have mixed feelings about bringing up an event from the days of yore -party days when everyone was getting fucked up.  And I questioned if that poor judgment and action should be the end all be all of the trajectory of one's life.  What Actually influences more that that, is watching Kavanaugh's complete lack of composure under pressure and scrutiny.

I agree to the extent that if he did some bad shit 30 years ago... is it as relevant, (as the person that he is right now), to his ability to be a good judge? I believe that all of it matters. I don't like that Trump is automatically defending him nor do I like that this wasn't brought up as soon as it became known.

Back to the bad judgement... and I'm not talking about Kavanaugh here but about the times that I grew up in. This was prior to AIDS.... in fact, herpes was just becoming an issue at the time. But, looking back at it, I think that there was a lot gray area between out and out rape, and total consent. For example:

*Taking advantage of a drunk or drugged person. The person was coherent but probably not thinking too clearly

*Being the one that gave the alcohol or drugs to the person and then taking advantage.. Again, coherent.

All of the above could be described as consensual but what state of mind should someone be in to be able to give consent? Should it be illegal to have sex when impaired? Does it matter how you became impaired? If you willingly take drugs and then have sex is it your own fault if you regret it after the fact? 

I don't care to consider any of that as much as I want to know if he is lying when he says he was not even at the party.
(09-30-2018, 01:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't care to consider any of that as much as I want to know if he is lying when he says he was not even at the party.
I was trying to steer this away from the Kavanaugh drama. But that dfidn't work.

Soooo, about having the POTUS being the one to select who will fill vacant SCOTUS seats... I think that we need to find out a better way to fill those vacancies. This country is far too polarized to have an elected official choose. Neither side wants the best person for the job... they both want THEIR side to have an advantage... which is precisely what neither side should have.
(09-30-2018, 01:48 PM)GCG Wrote:

I was trying to steer this away from the Kavanaugh drama. But that dfidn't work.

Soooo, about having the POTUS being the one to select who will fill vacant SCOTUS seats... I think that we need to find out a better way to fill those vacancies. This country is far too polarized to have an elected official choose. Neither side wants the best person for the job... they both want THEIR side to have an advantage... which is precisely what neither side should have.

Really? And yet you said this that was Totally all about Kavanaugh....... I agree to the extent that if he did some bad shit 30 years ago... is it as relevant, (as the person that he is right now), to his ability to be a good judge? I believe that all of it matters. I don't like that Trump is automatically defending him nor do I like that this wasn't brought up as soon as it became known.

Anyway , I agree we do need a non partisan way to choose judges.

I agree with that. A good start would be to go back to requiring more then a simple majority vote in the senate to confirm. I know there are problems with that too but it's a start.

Both parties should be buying in to whoever is being confirmed.
(09-30-2018, 02:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Really? And yet you said this that was Totally all about Kavanaugh....... I agree to the extent that if he did some bad shit 30 years ago... is it as relevant, (as the person that he is right now), to his ability to be a good judge? I believe that all of it matters. I don't like that Trump is automatically defending him nor do I like that this wasn't brought up as soon as it became known.

Anyway , I agree we do need a non partisan way to choose judges.
My original post only said that the Kavanaugh hearings reminded me of something that happened in highschool. The only other post in which I mentioned him was in reply to a post by TIA and after replying to her I said:

"
Back to the bad judgement... and I'm not talking about Kavanaugh here but about the times that I grew up in. This was prior to AIDS.... in fact, herpes was just becoming an issue at the time. But, looking back at it, I think that there was a lot gray area between out and out rape, and total consent. For example:"....