Megyn Kelly
Buwhahahahaa....

Sometimes one crashing and burning their career is well deserved. Well done Megyn, well done...  Laughing Laughing
(10-25-2018, 01:54 PM)GPnative Wrote: Buwhahahahaa....

Sometimes one crashing and burning their career is well deserved. Well done Megyn, well done...  Laughing Laughing

Why is it well deserved? Because of her opinions on other things or just because of what she said.

She said... that the practice of darkening one’s skin as part of any Halloween outfit wasn’t an inherently racist practice.

I totally agree but I would not be stupid enough to say so if I was her. It's true. My friend came to  my Halloween party as a terrorist and he darkened his skin.

If I dressed up like OJ with a black face and a bloody knife wearing ONE glove That would not be an inherently racist practice.
The same if someone dressed up like Michael Jackson.

Meagan should know, you can't say ANYTHING about black people even if it's 100% true.
(10-25-2018, 02:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why is it well deserved? Because of her opinions on other things or just because of what she said.

She said... that the practice of darkening one’s skin as part of any Halloween outfit wasn’t an inherently racist practice.

I totally agree but I would not be stupid enough to say so if I was her. It's true. My friend came to  my Halloween party as a terrorist and he darkened his skin.

If I dressed up like OJ with a black face and a bloody knife wearing ONE glove That would not be an inherently racist practice.

Meagan should know, you can't say ANYTHING about black people even if it's 100% true.

My sentiments had nothing to do with the straw that broke the camels back for her at NBC. I agree with you. I was speaking towards her super inflated ego she got while at Fox which lead to her crash and burn when she flew the coop from a very specific audience.
Anyone that finds her "black-face" comment offensive needs to take a chill pill. The comment was valid. If I want to be say... Jules from Pulp Fiction for Halloween... I would grab a cheap suit, a jerry curl wig and some brown make-up and go for it. Anyone that takes offense should seek help.
(10-25-2018, 02:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You can't say anything about anyone... true or not. Except white dudes. They We are fair game.
Because why? Who's oppressing you?
(10-25-2018, 07:11 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Because why? Who's oppressing you?

Reading this thread makes me wonder when the last time anyone had a conversation with someone of color regarding this type subject.  Sad
(10-25-2018, 07:24 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Reading this thread makes me wonder when the last time anyone had a conversation with someone of color regarding this type subject.  Sad

Blackface is part of a history of dehumanization, of denied citizenship, and of efforts to excuse and justify state violence. From lynchings to mass incarceration, whites have utilized blackface (and the resulting dehumanization) as part of its moral and legal justification for violence. It is time to stop with the dismissive arguments those that describe these offensive acts as pranks, ignorance and youthful indiscretions. Blackface is never a neutral form of entertainment, but an incredibly loaded site for the production of damaging stereotypes...the same stereotypes that undergird individual and state violence, American racism, and a centuries worth of injustice.

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/29/7089591/d...-offensive
Good riddance... I've never liked her.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(10-25-2018, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote:

Blackface is part of a history of dehumanization, of denied citizenship, and of efforts to excuse and justify state violence. From lynchings to mass incarceration, whites have utilized blackface (and the resulting dehumanization) as part of its moral and legal justification for violence. It is time to stop with the dismissive arguments those that describe these offensive acts as pranks, ignorance and youthful indiscretions. Blackface is never a neutral form of entertainment, but an incredibly loaded site for the production of damaging stereotypes...the same stereotypes that undergird individual and state violence, American racism, and a centuries worth of injustice.

Good grief. You ignore the examples given where someone could darken their skin and yet have no racists thoughts whatsoever and you post that?
(10-26-2018, 11:13 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Good grief. You ignore the examples given where someone could darken their skin and yet have no racists thoughts whatsoever and you post that?

I didn't ignore anything. Everyone's jaw dropping comments above tells me that no matter what I say would be a waste of time and effort. Read the info or not, but at some point you'll need to realize YOU as a white person don't get to decide what IS and what IS NOT racist regardless of INTENT.
(10-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Valuesize Wrote:

I didn't ignore anything. Everyone's jaw dropping comments above tells me that no matter what I say would be a waste of time and effort. Read the info or not, but at some point you'll need to realize YOU as a white person don't get to decide what IS and what IS NOT racist regardless of INTENT.

I think you must be missing the entire point. Just because something IS deemed to be racist by you or anyone else. 
Does not mean some dude dressing up like a black celebrity thinks he/she is being racist.

In my mind that's what Kelly said.

You and your black face link explains WHY it is racist. That sure as hell doesn't mean people who might choose to mimic a black man know this.
(10-26-2018, 12:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 07:24 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Reading this thread makes me wonder when the last time anyone had a conversation with someone of color regarding this type subject.  Sad

I think you must be missing the entire point. Just because something IS deemed to be racist by you or anyone else. 
Does not mean some dude dressing up like a black celebrity thinks he/she is being racist.

You and your black face link explains WHY it is racist. That sure as hell doesn't mean people who might choose to mimic a black man know this.

I don't remember ever watching Ms. Kelly so I have no idea what she is like. But I think the point in this instance is, in her occupation, if she did not know that what she said would be taken as racist by a lot of the public, then she plainly has a huge gaping hole in her perception of current public opinion. Basically she shot herself in the foot all by herself.
(10-26-2018, 01:13 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(10-25-2018, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Blackface is part of a history of dehumanization, of denied citizenship, and of efforts to excuse and justify state violence. From lynchings to mass incarceration, whites have utilized blackface (and the resulting dehumanization) as part of its moral and legal justification for violence. It is time to stop with the dismissive arguments those that describe these offensive acts as pranks, ignorance and youthful indiscretions. Blackface is never a neutral form of entertainment, but an incredibly loaded site for the production of damaging stereotypes...the same stereotypes that undergird individual and state violence, American racism, and a centuries worth of injustice.

I don't remember ever watching Ms. Kelly so I have no idea what she is like. But I think the point in this instance is, in her occupation, if she did not know that what she said would be taken as racist by a lot of the public, then she plainly has a huge gaping hole in her perception of current public opinion. Basically she shot herself in the foot all by herself.
Sure, I think  everyone can agree on that.
(10-25-2018, 08:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Blackface is part of a history of dehumanization, of denied citizenship, and of efforts to excuse and justify state violence. From lynchings to mass incarceration, whites have utilized blackface (and the resulting dehumanization) as part of its moral and legal justification for violence. It is time to stop with the dismissive arguments those that describe these offensive acts as pranks, ignorance and youthful indiscretions. Blackface is never a neutral form of entertainment, but an incredibly loaded site for the production of damaging stereotypes...the same stereotypes that undergird individual and state violence, American racism, and a centuries worth of injustice.

You are exactly right as far as Kelly should have known better. But that's just another way of saying that you can't say anything anymore. 

And I don't see how using blackface in a way that was offensive years ago means that it will always be unacceptable to make yourself up as someone of color... ANY color. And I will decide what I deem to be racist. Just because one black person says something is racist doesn't make it so. Just as me saying it's not racist doesn't mean that no one will be offended.
(10-26-2018, 05:54 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:13 AM)tvguy Wrote: Good grief. You ignore the examples given where someone could darken their skin and yet have no racists thoughts whatsoever and you post that?

You are exactly right as far as Kelly should have known better. But that's just another way of saying that you can't say anything anymore. 

And I don't see how using blackface in a way that was offensive years ago means that it will always be unacceptable to make yourself up as someone of color... ANY color. And I will decide what I deem to be racist. Just because one black person says something is racist doesn't make it so. Just as me saying it's not racist doesn't mean that no one will be offended.

Who made this word "blackface"? Blink Is there a brownface too?
(10-26-2018, 06:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 11:25 AM)Valuesize Wrote: I didn't ignore anything. Everyone's jaw dropping comments above tells me that no matter what I say would be a waste of time and effort. Read the info or not, but at some point you'll need to realize YOU as a white person don't get to decide what IS and what IS NOT racist regardless of INTENT.

Honestly, I have no idea. The first time that I ever heard the term was years ago when Ted Danson was dating Whoopie Goldberg and he went with her to some party and he was in "blackface." Everyone made a big stink out of it... I still dont know, (or care), why.
(10-26-2018, 06:35 PM)GCG Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 06:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-26-2018, 12:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:    I think you must be missing the entire point. Just because something IS deemed to be racist by you or anyone else. 

Honestly, I have no idea. The first time that I ever heard the term was years ago when Ted Danson was dating Whoopie Goldberg and he went with her to some party and he was in "blackface." Everyone made a big stink out of it... I still dont know, (or care), why.

When I was a kid in the 60's I remember going to minstrel  shows that were held at my school. Yep I'm that old LOL
White folks named blackface.
(10-26-2018, 06:43 PM)bbqboy Wrote: White folks named blackface.

Yep, "Blackface is a form of theatrical make-up used predominantly by non-black performers to represent a caricature of a black person