Megyn Kelly
(11-01-2018, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:53 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 08:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 10:59 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: And nobody had a problem with the Wylon Brothers dressing up in whiteface....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I specifically thought of this film also.

Eddie Murphy on old snl days also did a bit as a stereotypical white guy.

I don't see how the lady Junipers posted about ......I painted made my sons face whiter to be a vampire, does this mean I'm racist towards my white self?
Or SF who said......And nobody had a problem with the Wylon Brothers dressing up in whiteface....

Or Eddie Murphy acting white

Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved ,
made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

Blink Blink

The white girl movie was by definition a mockery, Eddie Murphy painted white was also a mockery, Complete with describing the white guy walk "like you have a stick up your butt"

Sounds like by your logic, any minority race gets carte blanche to mock others.
(11-01-2018, 06:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:59 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved , made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

I don't know of ANYONE, perhaps outside of some of "the beautiful" people of Hollywood, who have not been made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.  Did you even go to Junior High? Laughing

On a more serious note, all races have been enslaved and oppressed over time.  Are Jews not white people?  Know any history?

Well, the Irish come to mind. In their homeland and in America also, though they were not enslaved.

Yeah I know the old Irish slant to this argument and I never did buy it.

They were never oppressed simply because of their color or their race like some blacks still are to this day.. And big deal if they had to take the shitty jobs when they first came to America.They weren't brought in Chains and At least they got paid LOL
Yeah, we know this, but there was a stigma to being Irish that negatively affected their lives.  They were certainly oppressed in their homeland. And many came here and other countries as indentured servants, and much of that was oppression in my mind. That's all I'm saying. European Jews and American Jews have always faced issues also.  So, I guess we have to define "oppression" away from the term "enslaved" to carry on this conversation.
Quote:Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved , made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

Says who?  You?  I will bet anything that it's complete mockery of appearance to those who create these roles. Look at the White Pixie. That's mockery to me.

[Image: 1*n5_Ml817zpW491COUI1q4w.jpeg]
(11-01-2018, 05:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 10:59 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: [Image: ca17f2f12149eb823b34f997e705281e.jpg]

And nobody had a problem with the Wylon Brothers dressing up in whiteface....

I don't see how the lady Junipers posted about ......I painted made my sons face whiter to be a vampire, does this mean I'm racist towards my white self?
Or SF who said......And nobody had a problem with the Wylon Brothers dressing up in whiteface....

Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved , made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

I'm actually not quite sure what you are saying here.

Because white people were not enslaved , bought and sold, denied equal rights or suffered any of the atrocities like blacks.

Would any of you care if blacks made fun of our hair, small lips, or our favorite foods? I know I certainly wouldn't.
Because I didn't face the same things blacks have had to face.
(11-01-2018, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-31-2018, 08:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I specifically thought of this film also.

Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved , made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

Because white people were not enslaved , bought and sold, denied equal rights or suffered any of the atrocities like blacks.

Would any of you care if blacks made fun of our hair, small lips, or our favorite foods? I know I certainly wouldn't.

Hmmmmm, but it's ok to create a White Jewish Persona? The entire race was a victim of oppression in Nazi ruled Europe.
(11-01-2018, 06:29 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:53 AM)GPnative Wrote: Eddie Murphy on old snl days also did a bit as a stereotypical white guy.

Hmmmmm, but it's ok to create a White Jewish Persona? The entire race was a victim of oppression in Nazi ruled Europe.

The entire race   Race? 

This is not Europe. Jews are incredibly successful in America. I'm having a hard time explaining what I mean.

OK if black people are racist toward whites. And don't give us jobs or rent us a home or whatever.

It doesn't matter because we are the majority we won't suffer.
(11-01-2018, 01:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved , made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

I don't know of ANYONE, perhaps outside of some of "the beautiful" people of Hollywood, who have not been made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.  Did you even go to Junior High? Laughing

On a more serious note, all races have been enslaved and oppressed over time.  Are Jews not white people?  Know any history?

People of all races have been enslaved at some place or time, that's true. I think the point is that they weren't targeted as a race for enslavement like blacks were though.
(11-01-2018, 06:45 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

People of all races have been enslaved at some place or time, that's true. I think the point is that they weren't targeted as a race for enslavement like blacks were though.

Again, I have to ask, are we saying oppression is defined by slavery?  Or, can we look at them separately and still call it oppression without having the slavery be a definer?
(11-01-2018, 06:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Again, I have to ask, are we saying oppression is defined by slavery?  Or, can we look at them separately and still call it oppression without having the slavery be a definer?

As you wish. I was addressing a fairly narrow point.
(11-01-2018, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

As I wish? I guess I don't understand.  In this conversation, when we narrow in on "oppression" it seems like "enslavement" seems to be a defining point. All I'm asking is: Is "enslavement" one of the absolute definitions of "oppression"? Because if we can't decide on that one point, we just talk around and around and around.  Personally, I don't think it is. I think it can be, but does not have to be an absolute factor.
(11-01-2018, 07:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 05:18 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: I don't know of ANYONE, perhaps outside of some of "the beautiful" people of Hollywood, who have not been made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.  Did you even go to Junior High? Laughing

As I wish? I guess I don't understand.  In this conversation, when we narrow in on "oppression" it seems like "enslavement" seems to be a defining point. All I'm asking is: Is "enslavement" one of the absolute definitions of "oppression"? Because if we can't decide on that one point, we just talk around and around and around.  Personally, I don't think it is. I think it can be, but does not have to be an absolute factor.

Personally, I don't think it is. I think it can be, but does not have to be an absolute factor

I agree.

Put a black guy a Jew and an Irishman in a room full of white people.

Which one is easiest to find? Smiling  

If you are Irish or a Jew no one can take one look at you and instantly decide they won't hire you.Or rent to you.
(11-01-2018, 06:19 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(10-27-2018, 10:59 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: And nobody had a problem with the Wylon Brothers dressing up in whiteface....

Can't understand the difference. White people are not a minority, have never been oppressed, enslaved ,
made fun of or mocked because of their physical appearance.

Blink Blink

The white girl movie was by definition  a mockery, Eddie Murphy painted white was also a mockery, Complete with describing the white guy walk "like you have a stick up your butt"

Sounds like by your logic, any minority race gets carte blanche to mock others.

Yes I think you got it right. I don't give a shit if any minority mocks me because I'm white. Do you?
Is is different when you mock a minority of people based on their skin color when you are part of a race that has done what we have done to black people.
(11-01-2018, 07:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:45 PM)Cuzz Wrote: People of all races have been enslaved at some place or time, that's true. I think the point is that they weren't targeted as a race for enslavement like blacks were though.

Personally, I don't think it is. I think it can be, but does not have to be an absolute factor

I agree.

If you are Irish or a Jew no one can take one look at you and instantly decide they won't hire you.Or rent to you.

Well, the reason I ask is because it's already been answered when other examples are offered that those examples weren't 'enslaved'. So, I ask.  Because if it's the defining answer I don't know how to move on with the conversation.  And as to the one look example, well there's other races who can easily be defined by their looks. And Jews by their names. Jews were mocked in Nazi ruled Europe by playing up their features in unflattering ways.
(11-01-2018, 07:49 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:49 PM)Juniper Wrote: Again, I have to ask, are we saying oppression is defined by slavery?  Or, can we look at them separately and still call it oppression without having the slavery be a definer?

I agree.

Well, the reason I ask is because it's already been answered when other examples are offered that those examples weren't 'enslaved'. So, I ask.  Because if it's the defining answer I don't know how to move on with the conversation.  And as to the one look example, well there's other races who can easily be defined by their looks. And Jews by their names. Jews were mocked in Nazi ruled Europe by playing up their features in unflattering ways.
Sammy Davis Junior was a Jew Smiling  Razz You can't tell a Jew from his looks in this country so I don't know why it matters if they all had similar features in Germany or Poland in the 1940's. 
And again, you can be an oppressed minority without having ever been enslaved.
(11-01-2018, 08:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 06:53 PM)Cuzz Wrote: As you wish. I was addressing a fairly narrow point.

I agree.

Sammy Davis Junior was a Jew Smiling  Razz  You can't tell a Jew from his looks in this country so I don't know why it matters if they all had similar features in Germany or Poland in the 1940's. 

There were plenty of Jews in Europe who didn't look like the Nazi campaign to denigrate them. Yet, if their religion was known they were oppressed.  The same for Black people. People use some of their features to mock them. They did with the Irish also.  But was Megyn Kelley doing that?  (I have no idea, I haven't looked at what she did).
(11-01-2018, 08:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 07:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: As I wish? I guess I don't understand.  In this conversation, when we narrow in on "oppression" it seems like "enslavement" seems to be a defining point. All I'm asking is: Is "enslavement" one of the absolute definitions of "oppression"? Because if we can't decide on that one point, we just talk around and around and around.  Personally, I don't think it is. I think it can be, but does not have to be an absolute factor.

I agree.

Sammy Davis Junior was a Jew Smiling  Razz  You can't tell a Jew from his looks in this country so I don't know why it matters if they all had similar features in Germany or Poland in the 1940's. 

There were plenty of Jews in Europe who didn't look like the Nazi campaign to denigrate them. Yet, if their religion was known they were oppressed.  The same for Black people. People use some of their features to mock them. They did with the Irish also.  But was Megyn Kelley doing that?  (I have no idea, I haven't looked at what she did).

What Kelly said basically was that if you are white and use a blackface. That does not inherently mean you are a racist.

My opinion is Yes of course not.
So, here's what I'm hearing people saying in general: It's ok to mock someone based on their race as long as that race isn't one that's been oppressed? I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around why Chappelles White Pixie isn't a politically incorrect mockery of white people. I mean, I think it's funny, but I think there is some credence to saying that the political correctness is unequal.
(11-01-2018, 08:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I agree.

What Kelly said basically was that if you are white and use a blackface. That does not inherently mean you are a racist.

So, it was her words? The language she used?
(11-01-2018, 08:38 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 08:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-01-2018, 07:49 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, the reason I ask is because it's already been answered when other examples are offered that those examples weren't 'enslaved'. So, I ask.  Because if it's the defining answer I don't know how to move on with the conversation.  And as to the one look example, well there's other races who can easily be defined by their looks. And Jews by their names. Jews were mocked in Nazi ruled Europe by playing up their features in unflattering ways.

So, it was her words? The language she used?

Here ya go LOL

CNN)NBC host Megyn Kelly apologized to colleagues on Tuesday after her comments defending racist Halloween gags prompted an immediate backlash.

"One of the wonderful things about my job is that I get the chance to express and hear a lot of opinions," Kelly said in the internal note, a copy of which was provided by a spokesperson for NBC. "Today is one of those days where listening carefully to other points of view, including from friends and colleagues, is leading me to rethink my own views."
Kelly made the offending remarks during an awkward roundtable discussion about inappropriate and offensive costumes on her eponymous one-hour block of the "Today" show, known as "Megyn Kelly Today."
During the segment on Tuesday, Kelly said it was OK when she was growing up for white people to dress up as black characters, and she spoke out against a controversy that erupted last year over a reality star who portrayed Diana Ross.
"But what is racist?" Kelly asked. "Because you do get in trouble if you are a white person who puts on blackface on Halloween, or a black person who puts on whiteface for Halloween. Back when I was a kid that was OK, as long as you were dressing up as, like, a character."
Later in the discussion, Kelly brought up Luann de Lesseps, a star on "The Real Housewives of New York" who drew a backlash last year for dressing up as Ross.
"There was a controversy on The Real Housewives of New York with Luann, and she dressed as Diana Ross, and she made her skin look darker than it really is and people said that that was racist," Kelly said. "And I don't know, I felt like who doesn't love Diana Ross? She wants to look like Diana Ross for one day. I don't know how, like, that got racist on Halloween."
(De Lesseps apologized for the costume, but denied altering her skin.)

Many observers were aghast at Kelly's comments, and some noted that the panel did not include a single person of color. And absent from the discussion was any mention of the ugly history of blackface, a tradition spanning centuries meant to perpetuate racist stereotypes.
But the panelists on Tuesday did not echo Kelly's point of view.
"If you think it's offensive, it probably is," said the author and television host Melissa Rivers. "Whatever happened to just, manners and polite society?"
"But on Halloween? On Halloween you've got guys running around with fake axes coming out of their head," Kelly replied. "You're going to, it's going to be jarring."
After Kelly brought up the controversy surrounding de Lesseps, another panelist, MSNBC correspondent Jacob Soboroff piped up.
"I haven't seen it. I have not seen it, but it sounds a little racist to me," he said.
In her note to colleagues after the show aired, Kelly explained that she now understands how she erred with those comments.
"When we had the roundtable discussion earlier today about the controversy of making your face look like a different race as part of a Halloween costume, I suggested that this seemed okay if done as part of this holiday where people have the chance to make themselves look like others," she said. "The iconic Diana Ross came up as an example. To me, I thought, why would it be controversial for someone dressing up as Diana Ross to make herself look like this amazing woman as a way of honoring and respecting her?"
"I realize now that such behavior is indeed wrong, and I am sorry," Kelly added. "The history of blackface in our culture is abhorrent; the wounds too deep."
The response to Kelly, particularly on Twitter, was vociferous on Tuesday, with a number of celebrities joining the pile-on.
"I cannot believe the ignorance on this in 2018. You are on national television," "Top Chef" host Padma Lakshmi said in a tweet directed at Kelly. "You have a responsibility to educate yourself on social issues @megynkelly. This is so damaging."
For Kelly, who left Fox News in 2017 to sign a contract with NBC worth a reported $23 million a year, it was not the first time she has drawn accusations of racism. In 2013, while still an anchor at Fox, Kelly infamously addressed the ethnicity of Santa Claus.
"By the way, for all you kids watching at home, Santa just is white," she said before bringing Jesus into the discussion for good measure.
"Jesus was a white man, too," she said at the time. "He was a historical figure, that's a verifiable fact, as is Santa."
Addressing her colleagues on Tuesday, Kelly said she's "never been a 'pc' kind of person -- but I understand that we do need to be more sensitive in this day and age."

"Particularly on race and ethnicity issues which, far from being healed, have been exacerbated in our politics over the past year," Kelly said. "This is a time for more understanding, love, sensitivity and honor, and I want to be part of that. I look forward to continuing that discussion."
(11-01-2018, 08:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: So, here's what I'm hearing people saying in general:  It's ok to mock someone based on their race  as long as that race isn't one that's been oppressed? AND one that is not a minority . It's not that it's "OK" it's just that it's not as malicious.

I guess I'm trying to wrap my head around why Chappelles White Pixie isn't a politically incorrect mockery of white people.  I mean, I think it's funny, but I think there is some credence to saying that the political correctness is unequal.