Non Political "Fluff" Thread
I'll start it with this borrowed from Twitter.

What's been discontinued or cancelled in your lifetime that you wish would make a comeback?

Drive-through dairies. I loved our local place when growing up. Like this.  Big Grin

[Image: 10664787754_36831bf681_b.jpg]
Arctic Circle (not the new generation stragglers that still exist, I'm talking the originals)

[Image: e1e50036d0a9595514f15cc23c4bcdbd--kids-m...ircles.jpg]

and the Redwood Drive In

[Image: large.jpg?1524702985]
And I'd like to see these 2 make a comeback!

[Image: calvin-and-hobbes.jpg?w=1920]
[Image: https%3A%2F%2Fb-i.forbesimg.com%2Fthumbn...1383923529]

All of my kids say they miss Blockbuster. Not me. I never really cared about it.  But they way they wax nostalgic over it, I think that for them it carries the same kind of sentimentality as I remember going to the Sacred Store to look for albums. 

So, what I miss is:

[Image: 5b2994110161a1000dd568bf-original.jpg]
[quote pid='410389' dateline='1543163563']

All of my kids say they miss Blockbuster. Not me. I never really cared about it.  But they way they wax nostalgic over it, I think that for them it carries the same kind of sentimentality as I remember going to the Sacred Store to look for albums. 

So, what I miss is:

[/quote]
I'm not sure whether that was intentional or a Freudian slip, but record stores were always houses of worship to me.
Big Grin
(11-25-2018, 10:12 AM)bbqboy Wrote: [quote pid='410389' dateline='1543163563']

So, what I miss is:

I'm not sure whether that was intentional or a Freudian slip, but record stores were always houses of worship to me.
Big Grin
[/quote]

Are you referring to me calling it the Sacred Store?  That's what it's referred to in in Don McClean's Bye Bye Miss American Pie.  So, not a slip.
I never liked American Pie. Smiling
(11-25-2018, 10:34 AM)bbqboy Wrote: I never liked American Pie. Smiling

Not the FILM.  I don't know if you are referring to the song or the film.
The song. Never saw the movie.
(11-25-2018, 03:26 PM)bbqboy Wrote: The song. Never saw the movie.

The movies sucked. I never much cared for the song at the time it was made.
(11-25-2018, 03:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Why would he have referred to the movie LOL I don't think it had anything to do with the song.Did it?
(11-25-2018, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Why would he have referred to the movie LOL I don't think it had anything to do with the song.Did it?

I don't know...just wasn't sure.  I like the song myself.  But he does refer to the Sacred Store 

Quote:I went down to the sacred store
Where I'd heard the music years before
But the man there said the music wouldn't play

I've always noticed the line because it was like that for many, many people.  I can't remember who it was who waxed rhapsodic about old albums...someone who was talking about how kids today will never know that feeling of waiting for the next album of your favorite band or singer to come out and running to the store to get the album and then dashing back home with it to put it on the turntable, and how we would sit with the album cover in our hands and stare at it and look at the pictures, and the art and the liner notes and just how exciting and exotic that felt.
(11-25-2018, 03:51 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I don't know...just wasn't sure.  I like the song myself.  But he does refer to the Sacred Store 

I've always noticed the line because it was like that for many, many people.  I can't remember who it was who waxed rhapsodic about old albums...someone who was talking about how kids today will never know that feeling of waiting for the next album of your favorite band or singer to come out and running to the store to get the album and then dashing back home with it to put it on the turntable, and how we would sit with the album cover in our hands and stare at it and look at the pictures, and the art and the liner notes and just how exciting and exotic that felt.

I remember the same excitement when I would mail my film to Kodak and it would finally be developed and sent back.
(11-25-2018, 03:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I remember the same excitement when I would mail my film to Kodak and it would finally be developed and sent back.

Yes.  We would usually go to the store, but still it was exciting to get the pictures.
(11-25-2018, 03:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not the FILM.  I don't know if you are referring to the song or the film.

Yes.  We would usually go to the store, but still it was exciting to get the pictures.
Hmmm. I don't know if there was a store in my town to develop film when I was a kid. And now that I think of it I think I must have put money in the envelope with the film Laughing Laughing
(11-25-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:  Why would he have referred to the movie LOL I don't think it had anything to do with the song.Did it?

Hmmm. I don't know if there was a store in my town to develop film when I was a kid. And now that I think of it I think I must have put money in the envelope with the film Laughing Laughing
Laughing Laughing  All the drug stores contracted out to film developers and we had those kiosks Photohuts (?)  but it was much cheaper to mail them off.
(11-25-2018, 04:03 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 03:51 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know...just wasn't sure.  I like the song myself.  But he does refer to the Sacred Store 

Laughing Laughing  All the drug stores contracted out to film developers and we had those kiosks Photohuts (?)  but it was much cheaper to mail them off.
Now that I think about it, I think I put the film in an envelope and then took it to the drug store and THEY mailed it out.
It's only been about 56 years ago Blink
(11-25-2018, 03:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I've always liked it.  The song, not the films which I never saw.I like picking the lyrics apart to see what each one refers to.
(11-25-2018, 04:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I've always liked it.  The song, not the films which I never saw.I like picking the lyrics apart to see what each one refers to.
Yeah mostly the plane crash I think.
(11-25-2018, 04:49 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-25-2018, 04:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah mostly the plane crash I think.

Well, yes, that's the obvious line.  But in later verses it's more obscure and fun to try and figure out the references.