WE got a free 20# Turky at Fred Meyer
She got an email offer from FM that said if you spend 50 bucks on groceries you get a free 16 to 20 pound turkey.
She just came home with a 20 pounder Big Grin . It would have cost $30.46

This is if you are using pickup, or clicklist.

She used another coupon offer.. Buy 5 items total that are either Cambell's or General mills and she didn't get charged the $4.95 for pickup
(11-07-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: She got an email offer from FM that said if you spend 50 bucks on groceries you get a free 16 to 20 pound turkey.

She used another coupon offer.. Buy 5 items total that are either Cambell's or General mills and she didn't get charged the $4.95 for pickup

Excellent.
Was it a live Turkey?
(11-07-2018, 06:01 PM)chuck white Wrote: Was it a live Turkey?

No it was a jive turkey.  Razz
(11-07-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: She got an email offer from FM that said if you spend 50 bucks on groceries you get a free 16 to 20 pound turkey.

It is also available if you spend $150 in store. Easily done by us for groceries, so we will also be dining on a free bird* this year from FM.

*Not to be confused with the lynyrd skynyrd version
(11-08-2018, 08:50 AM)GPnative Wrote:

It is also available if you spend $150 in store. Easily done by us for groceries, so we will also be dining on a free bird* this year from FM.

*Not to be confused with the lynyrd skynyrd version
Yes I know, I guess I should have mentioned that. I have no idea if my wife spends $150 at FM. Because she shops at Costco too.
OK I asked...She says she usually spends about $80 at FM and that would be less if we didn't have two huge and one large dog Big Grin

I loves me some Lynard Skinnard.
There are a lot of wild turkey out in SV.

(not sure if you can hunt them now or not)
(11-08-2018, 06:10 PM)chuck white Wrote: There are a lot of wild turkey out in SV.

(not sure if you can hunt them now or not)

Not nearly as good as a Butterball.
I am glad you got your free turkey. I won't be doing a turkey this year though. My life has gotten too small, too upside down. It's only this last few months that have given me a respite from a lot of drama and upset. So, I don't know what I'm doing for Thanksgiving . I'd like to say this is the year things have gotten better and we can be thankful and relax and enjoy, but I'm not sure of anything.  I kind of feel like Gus's drunken sawbones from Lonesome Dove who intones to Gus that he has a "few more fractualities yet to endure." If anything, I'll be throwing some kind of Mexican dinner together. Or lasagna or something.  I haven't made a turkey for years. Besides on the over arcing scale of things, me being the chief cook and bottle washer, should I do anything, I like tacos way better than turkery and mashed potatoes! Big Grin
(11-09-2018, 09:35 AM)Juniper Wrote: I am glad you got your free turkey. I won't be doing a turkey this year though. My life has gotten too small, too upside down. It's only this last few months that have given me a respite from a lot of drama and upset. So, I don't know what I'm doing for Thanksgiving . I'd like to say this is the year things have gotten better and we can be thankful and relax and enjoy, but I'm not sure of anything.  I kind of feel like Gus's drunken sawbones from Lonesome Dove who intones to Gus that he has a "few more fractualities yet to endure." If anything, I'll be throwing some kind of Mexican dinner together. Or lasagna or something.  I haven't made a turkey for years. Besides on the over arcing scale of things, me being the chief cook and bottle washer, should I do anything, I like tacos way better than turkery and mashed potatoes! Big Grin

I generally prefer holidays to pass by unnoticed anyway. The trouble is I seem to be a minority of one.   Embarrassed
(11-09-2018, 10:21 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 09:35 AM)Juniper Wrote: I am glad you got your free turkey. I won't be doing a turkey this year though. My life has gotten too small, too upside down. It's only this last few months that have given me a respite from a lot of drama and upset. So, I don't know what I'm doing for Thanksgiving . I'd like to say this is the year things have gotten better and we can be thankful and relax and enjoy, but I'm not sure of anything.  I kind of feel like Gus's drunken sawbones from Lonesome Dove who intones to Gus that he has a "few more fractualities yet to endure." If anything, I'll be throwing some kind of Mexican dinner together. Or lasagna or something.  I haven't made a turkey for years. Besides on the over arcing scale of things, me being the chief cook and bottle washer, should I do anything, I like tacos way better than turkery and mashed potatoes! Big Grin

I generally prefer holidays to pass by unnoticed anyway. The trouble is I seem to be a minority of one.   Embarrassed

A lone voice.
When we have no family plans for Thanksgiving, Easter or Christmas we volunteer our time and energy to help feed hungry people. It's helpful and gives one a good feeling. Win-Win!

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

You can always just pick up a small turkey breast, we do those throughout the year, they are small and easy to cook, even for 1.
(11-09-2018, 10:33 AM)GPnative Wrote:

You can always just pick up a small turkey breast, we do those throughout the year, they are small and easy to cook, even for 1.

Yeah. sometime I do.  And then I'm disappointed all over again having liked the dark meat better!  :Big Grin Tacos it is!

So, one thing about holidays is that they don't carry much fun or meaning if it's just one.  You know?  I have no idea what I'm doing for Thanksgiving so I've made no plans.
(11-09-2018, 10:35 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah. sometime I do.  And then I'm disappointed all over again having liked the dark meat better!  :Big Grin Tacos it is!
Every now and then I cook a turkey just for sandwiches, soups, etc. I've even used it to make turkey enchiladas and turkey tacos. Yum!

(11-09-2018, 11:42 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Every now and then I cook a turkey just for sandwiches, soups, etc. I've even used it to make turkey enchiladas and turkey tacos. Yum!

Yeah, no pavo in my enchiladas, thanks. I'm not a fan of that.  By the way are your enchiladas made with corn tortillas or flour?  I had this conversation with someone.  To me making enchiladas with flour tortillas is just a sacrilege.  Seems like wet burrito to me.
Another reason i don't want to get a turkey is that it's taken me years to learn to not cook for an army. I still struggle with how to make food proportionate. Even a small turkey would be a lot of food for me to deal with. Even just a rotisserie chicken!
(11-09-2018, 11:49 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Yeah, no pavo in my enchiladas, thanks. I'm not a fan of that.  By the way are your enchiladas made with corn tortillas or flour?  I had this conversation with someone.  To me making enchiladas with flour tortillas is just a sacrilege.  Seems like wet burrito to me.
I was taught (and prefer) corn tortillas are the original way to make them. My hubby can't stand corn tortillas though. So I usually make a dish using each.

My biggest issue with using flour tortillas is reheating them later... they tortillas turn to mush. Corn tortillas hold up better for reheating.

(11-09-2018, 11:53 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 11:49 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-09-2018, 10:33 AM)GPnative Wrote: You can always just pick up a small turkey breast, we do those throughout the year, they are small and easy to cook, even for 1.

I was taught (and prefer) corn tortillas are the original way to make them. My hubby can't stand corn tortillas though. So I usually make a dish using each.

My biggest issue with using flour tortillas is reheating them later... they tortillas turn to mush. Corn tortillas hold up better for reheating.

I'm not a fan of flour tortillas in anything but a quesadilla.