Fires and sensationalism
OMG!!!! Run for your lives! We live within the 2 mile "evacuation" radius fo the fire that started near the Jackson Co. Fairgrounds. My wife has been watching KDRV and they are really going overboard on this fire. I don't know if they are reacting to the fire officials or what. But calling for an evacuation within a 2 mile radius was really a bit much. 

I was more worried about a possible power outage shutting down my AC. THAT would have been cause for evacuation!
Agreed, very sensationalized. Plus, evacuating a densely populated neighborhoods for a 2 mile radius during rush hour, you would be far safer staying home!
The anchor does get rather breathless about it all.
I like when they would cut to reporters on scene to discuss gridlock traffic, only to show well flowing traffic.
Well, I think they are just reporting what the fire officials say. And it's a small town(s). Small town, big news.
(07-17-2018, 07:19 PM)GPnative Wrote: Agreed, very sensationalized. Plus, evacuating a densely populated neighborhoods for a 2 mile radius during rush hour, you would be far safer staying home!

Not if the fire started spreading through homes.
(07-17-2018, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:19 PM)GPnative Wrote: Agreed, very sensationalized. Plus, evacuating a densely populated neighborhoods for a 2 mile radius during rush hour, you would be far safer staying home!

2 miles was overkill
(07-17-2018, 07:21 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I think they are just reporting what the fire officials say.  And it's a small town(s). Small town, big news.

I was at the fun center watching this fire. There were heavy winds and I could see two places where some kind of structures were burning.

It is big news
(07-17-2018, 07:32 PM)GPnative Wrote:

2 miles was overkill

I'm not so sure. These things are decided with the worst case scenario in mind. And possibly using some sort of standard operating procedure or protocol.
I mean yes it probably was overkill but I'm certain they would rather be safe than sorry and be sued by the deceased loved ones Razz
(07-17-2018, 07:39 PM)tvguy Wrote:

2 miles was overkill

I'm not so sure. These things are decided with the worst case scenario in mind. And possibly using some sort of standard operating procedure or protocol.
I mean yes it probably was overkill but I'm certain they would rather be safe than sorry and be sued by the deceased loved ones Razz

Because if they got it wrong, they would pay.  They changed the area of evacuation within an hour.
(07-17-2018, 07:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:

2 miles was overkill

Because if they got it wrong, they would pay.  They changed the area of evacuation within an hour.

I was wondering if anyone did actually evacuate.
Hey GCG! I was at the fun center watching the fire and all the traffic being detoured.

And I thought about you Laughing Laughing  How the hell did you get home?

2 miles was overkill

Yes, but they need to take into account all factors, people stuck in a fires path cause they are trapped in gridlock traffic is a worse scenario than sheltering in place. I think voluntary 2 mile, and mandatory 1 mile would of sufficed. 
But, kudos to all the firefighters, et al  that knocked it down with minimal losses. They do great work.
(07-17-2018, 07:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey GCG! I was at the fun center watching the fire and all the traffic being detoured.

Did you take any pics to upload, hint hint  Wink

And you were within the massive evac zone, did you have a death wish you crazy SOB.  Wink Razz
(07-17-2018, 07:46 PM)GPnative Wrote:

2 miles was overkill

Yes, but they need to take into account all factors, people stuck in a fires path cause they are trapped in gridlock traffic is a worse scenario than sheltering in place. I think voluntary 2 mile, and mandatory 1 mile would of sufficed. 
But, kudos to all the firefighters, et al  that knocked it down with minimal losses. They do great work.

Beats me you would have to run that by the people who are experts and study these kinds of things.There are a ton of factors to consider so maybe the best thing is to say GET THE FUCK OUT!!! Razz
(07-17-2018, 07:56 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:45 PM)tvguy Wrote: Hey GCG! I was at the fun center watching the fire and all the traffic being detoured.

And you were within the massive evac zone, did you have a death wish you crazy SOB.  Wink Razz

Yeah I have pics on my phone as well as my dash cam. I came from the north down Upton to Penninger. The only heavy traffic was people who were detoured and had to take Wilson to Upton.
Plus It was clear that the fire was going away from me. I was close to where it started.

As far as death wish I remember back in the 1997 flood. We were home and they said on the TV....

PLEASE STAY HOME... DO NOT GO OUT!!! So I looked and my sons and said.. You ready? lets go. Laughing Laughing
(07-17-2018, 07:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: Not if the fire started spreading through homes.

2 miles was overkill

I've been trying to reach my friend who lives on Gehbard...right across and it's been silent.  I don't know.  If people weren't evacuating what was the gridlock?
(07-17-2018, 08:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:32 PM)GPnative Wrote: 2 miles was overkill

I've been trying to reach my friend who lives on Gehbard...right across and it's been silent.  I don't know.  If people weren't evacuating what was the gridlock?

Because so many road were closed off. Table rock and Biddle. and it was right around rush hour.
I don't know what was burning but it sure as hell wasn't grass.

[Image: 2d14w1h.jpg]
(07-17-2018, 08:07 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2018, 07:56 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yeah I have pics on my phone as well as my dash cam. I came from the north down Upton to Penninger. The only heavy traffic was people who were detoured and had to take Wilson to Upton.
Plus It was clear that the fire was going away from me. I was close to where it started.

As far as death wish I remember back in the 1997 flood. We were home and they said on the TV....

PLEASE STAY HOME... DO NOT GO OUT!!! So I looked and my sons and said.. You ready? lets go. Laughing Laughing

We did the same thing  Laughing