It kills me how often I hear people say.. "karma is a bitch" "what goes around comes around" Or and other mention of how karma will get someone back for whatever.
Just what the actual fuck is wrong with so many people who believe in what would have to be defined as magic justice?
(11-17-2018, 05:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: It kills me how often I hear people say.. "karma is a bitch" "what goes around comes around" Or and other mention of how karma will get someone back for whatever.
Just what the actual fuck is wrong with so many people who believe in what would have to be defined as magic justice?

I don't know.  It's a thing that started in the 60's and 70's when Eastern Mysticism and religion was popular.  But it's not really the definition of Karma in Eastern Religion anyway.  I think there is something nice in a 'pay it forward' kind of mentality, but it's not "Karma".
(11-17-2018, 06:05 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 05:36 PM)tvguy Wrote: It kills me how often I hear people say.. "karma is a bitch" "what goes around comes around" Or and other mention of how karma will get someone back for whatever.

I don't know.  It's a thing that started in the 60's and 70's when Eastern Mysticism and religion was popular.  But it's not really the definition of Karma in Eastern Religion anyway.  I think there is something nice in a 'pay it forward' kind of mentality, but it's not "Karma".
Yeah I actually remember back in the 70's when this stuff started. I kind of get it if you are a Hindu , Hairy Krishna or whatever the religion is that worships the little fat pot bellied Asian dude Razz

But that's religion. I totally get why they are delusional. I just don't understand normal every day people who believe in some absurd magic force.
(11-17-2018, 06:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah I actually remember back in the 70's when this stuff started. I kind of get it if you are a Hindu , Hairy Krishna or whatever the religion is that worships the little fat pot bellied Asian dude Razz

But that's religion. I totally get why they are delusional. I just don't understand normal every day people who believe in some absurd magic force.

I don't know how many people really believe in it but there is something that we enjoy about watching some asshole get what he deserves. And if that asshole gets away with it, we can only hope that someday it bites him in the ass. Saying that karma is a bitch is just another way of saying that they got what they deserved. Too bad it doesn't happen more often. If karma was really a thing... we'd all get what we deserved!  Surprised Surprised Surprised Surprised
(11-17-2018, 06:53 PM)GCG Wrote:

I don't know how many people really believe in it but there is something that we enjoy about watching some asshole get what he deserves. And if that asshole gets away with it, we can only hope that someday it bites him in the ass. Saying that karma is a bitch is just another way of saying that they got what they deserved. Too bad it doesn't happen more often. If karma was really a thing... we'd all get what we deserved!

I get all that. What you are talking about is often called "instant karma" . You can see a ton of example on Youtube.
A guy cuts you off and speeds by in his car. And a couple miles ahead he either wrecks or is stopped by a cop LOL.

But I'm talking about all the people who actually believe some jerk who got away with something will eventually be punished.
(11-17-2018, 07:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't know how many people really believe in it but there is something that we enjoy about watching some asshole get what he deserves. And if that asshole gets away with it, we can only hope that someday it bites him in the ass. Saying that karma is a bitch is just another way of saying that they got what they deserved. Too bad it doesn't happen more often. If karma was really a thing... we'd all get what we deserved!

I get all that. What you are talking about is often called "instant karma" . You can see a ton of example on Youtube.
A guy cuts you off and speeds by in his car. And a couple miles ahead he either wrecks or is stopped by a cop LOL.

But I'm talking about all  the people who actually believe some jerk who got away with something will eventually be punished.

I don't know how many really believe it or just use it as a way to convince themselves to get over it. Unless you are talking about heaven and hell... which, of course, is the logical conlusion to this discussion. I don't have any strong feelings on that subject. I figure I'll find out, (or not), when the time comes.
(11-17-2018, 07:06 PM)GCG Wrote:
(11-17-2018, 06:05 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know.  It's a thing that started in the 60's and 70's when Eastern Mysticism and religion was popular.  But it's not really the definition of Karma in Eastern Religion anyway.  I think there is something nice in a 'pay it forward' kind of mentality, but it's not "Karma".

But I'm talking about all  the people who actually believe some jerk who got away with something will eventually be punished.

I don't know how many really believe it or just use it as a way to convince themselves to get over it. Unless you are talking about heaven and hell... which, of course, is the logical conlusion to this discussion. I don't have any strong feelings on that subject. I figure I'll find out, (or not), when the time comes.

OK to be specific I'm talking about on Facebook when someone posts about their (fill in the blank) gets vandalizes or stolen . Or any injustice done by a person.
Are there are almost always people who post to say.. "Don't worry what goes around comes around" Or "karma is a bitch"

IMO they do indeed believe it.

Well, again, it's complete misunderstanding of what "Karma" really is.  But maybe it's just been repeated so many times that people actually believe it.
When did the phrase "Instant Karma" even come into being?
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLy2SaSQAtA
(11-18-2018, 05:15 AM)bbqboy Wrote: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=xLy2SaSQAtA

Yep, There's a song. You didn't include me in a quote so I am going to assume you are not saying Lennon coined the phrase.
I think he did.
https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-len...tant-karma
(11-18-2018, 09:17 AM)bbqboy Wrote: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-len...tant-karma

He may have but I'm skeptical.  The link doesn't really support the one idea we are discussing here of who created the term.  And many, many quotes have been misappropriated to Lennon.  "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans."  for one. I've always loved that line.  I still think of it as a Lennon line, but he didn't originate it.   He didn't pen it. Anyway, I still don't know if he invented the phrase "Instant Karma".  I know he wrote a song right at the time people used "Karma" a lot in every day verbiage, moving away from it's original meaning. I'm sure he wrote the "we all shine on" lines, but as for creating the phrase itself, I'm doubtful.  But, hey, phrases have to start somewhere.  Remember JJ?  She used to swear she invented the phrase "Carb Coma", the phrase for feeling sleepy and tired after consuming a carbohydrate heavy meal. Maybe she did!
(11-18-2018, 10:19 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 09:17 AM)bbqboy Wrote: https://www.songfacts.com/facts/john-len...tant-karma

He may have but I'm skeptical.  The link doesn't really support the one idea we are discussing here of who created the term.  And many, many quotes have been misappropriated to Lennon.  "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans."  for one. I've always loved that line.  I still think of it as a Lennon line, but he didn't originate it.   He didn't pen it. Anyway, I still don't know if he invented the phrase "Instant Karma".  I know he wrote a song right at the time people used "Karma" a lot in every day verbiage, moving away from it's original meaning. I'm sure he wrote the "we all shine on" lines, but as for creating the phrase itself, I'm doubtful.  But, hey, phrases have to start somewhere.  Remember JJ?  She used to swear she invented the phrase "Carb Coma", the phrase for feeling sleepy and tired after consuming a carbohydrate heavy meal. Maybe she did!

I think the phrase instant karma is something that that more than likely a lot of people voiced before it became popular.
It's not necessarily a phrase, it could be a sentence.
(11-18-2018, 12:47 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I think the phrase instant karma is something that that more than likely a lot of people voiced before it became popular.
Not to get too technical, but I don't think so.  Not a sentence. It would be a phrase not a sentence, because by definition a sentence needs to predicate.

However, Instant Karma the song was released in '70.  So, you'd have to be able to come up with a memory or example of hearing the phrase basically in '69.
(11-18-2018, 03:26 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Not to get too technical, but I don't think so.  Not a sentence. It would be a phrase not a sentence, because by definition a sentence needs to predicate.

However, Instant Karma the song was released in '70.  So, you'd have to be able to come up with a memory or example of hearing the phrase basically in '69.

I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

To me it's like asking who first said "good morning" or hows it going. Not on my watch, Look out for that last step,
It's just not unique enough IMO.
(11-18-2018, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

To me it's like asking who first said "good morning" or hows it going. Not on my watch, Look out for that last step,

Those are phrases for sure.  Sometimes something is a phrase and then it becomes a catch phrase. Like "Hasta la vista, baby." which is just a sentence but if you put an Austrian swing into it, it becomes something else.  Or "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.   I think 'Instant Karma' fits the catch phrase categories, but I don't really know it's true origins.
(11-18-2018, 05:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 10:19 AM)Juniper Wrote: He may have but I'm skeptical.  The link doesn't really support the one idea we are discussing here of who created the term.  And many, many quotes have been misappropriated to Lennon.  "Life is what happens when we're busy making other plans."  for one. I've always loved that line.  I still think of it as a Lennon line, but he didn't originate it.   He didn't pen it. Anyway, I still don't know if he invented the phrase "Instant Karma".  I know he wrote a song right at the time people used "Karma" a lot in every day verbiage, moving away from it's original meaning. I'm sure he wrote the "we all shine on" lines, but as for creating the phrase itself, I'm doubtful.  But, hey, phrases have to start somewhere.  Remember JJ?  She used to swear she invented the phrase "Carb Coma", the phrase for feeling sleepy and tired after consuming a carbohydrate heavy meal. Maybe she did!

Those are phrases for sure.  Sometimes something is a phrase and then it becomes a catch phrase. Like "Hasta la vista, baby." which is just a sentence but if you put an Austrian swing into it, it becomes something else.  Or "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.   I think 'Instant Karma' fits the catch phrase categories, but I don't really know it's true origins.
I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Are different, way more unique, way more odd than someone just saying instant Karma. That's nothing but a description that anyone might say when they see a guy who stole a purse get run over by a bus Razz

I don't expect you to agree. I just want to make sure you know what I mean Big Grin
(11-18-2018, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 12:47 PM)tvguy Wrote: I think the phrase instant karma is something that that more than likely a lot of people voiced before it became popular.

I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Are different, way more unique, way more odd than someone just saying instant Karma. That's nothing but a description that anyone might say when they see a guy who stole a purse get run over by a bus Razz

I don't expect you to agree. I just want to make sure you know what I mean Big Grin

I just think that "instant karma" has become a catch phrase to describe something and everyone knows exactly what it means.  It may not fit the categories of the examples listed, but it's still a catch phrase.  If "karma" as a concept had never become popular in western culture I still think people would notice and laugh at things that appear to be the result of an action. Whether or not they  had a catch phrase to describe that is debatable.