(11-18-2018, 06:00 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:32 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 03:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not to get too technical, but I don't think so.  Not a sentence. It would be a phrase not a sentence, because by definition a sentence needs to predicate.

However, Instant Karma the song was released in '70.  So, you'd have to be able to come up with a memory or example of hearing the phrase basically in '69.

I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

To me it's like asking who first said "good morning" or hows it going. Not on my watch, Look out for that last step,
It's just not unique enough IMO.

Those are phrases for sure.  Sometimes something is a phrase and then it becomes a catch phrase. Like "Hasta la vista, baby." which is just a sentence but if you put an Austrian swing into it, it becomes something else.  Or "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.   I think 'Instant Karma' fits the catch phrase categories, but I don't really know it's true origins.
I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Are different, way more unique, way more odd than someone just saying instant Karma. That's nothing but a description that anyone might say when they see a guy who stole a purse get run over by a bus Razz

I don't expect you to agree. I just want to make sure you know what I mean Big Grin

I just think that "instant karma" has become a catch phrase to describe something and everyone knows exactly what it means.  It may not fit the categories of the examples listed, but it's still a catch phrase.  If "karma" as a concept had never become popular in western culture I still think people would notice and laugh at things that appear to be the result of an action. Whether or not they  had a catch phrase to describe that is debatable.

For me, instant karma is not a catch phrase at all. I actually agree with bbqboy,  Twitch .I think Lennon was possibly the first to use it. What I do hear all the time is "karma is a bitch." Now that's a catch phrase... probably from some movie or whatever. And I still don't believe in karma, and I doubt that most people that use the phrase really believe in it either. We all just hope that people don't get away with being an asshole. But they usually do.
(11-18-2018, 06:24 PM)GCG Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

To me it's like asking who first said "good morning" or hows it going. Not on my watch, Look out for that last step,

Those are phrases for sure.  Sometimes something is a phrase and then it becomes a catch phrase. Like "Hasta la vista, baby." which is just a sentence but if you put an Austrian swing into it, it becomes something else.  Or "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.   I think 'Instant Karma' fits the catch phrase categories, but I don't really know it's true origins.
I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Are different, way more unique, way more odd than someone just saying instant Karma. That's nothing but a description that anyone might say when they see a guy who stole a purse get run over by a bus Razz

I don't expect you to agree. I just want to make sure you know what I mean Big Grin

I just think that "instant karma" has become a catch phrase to describe something and everyone knows exactly what it means.  It may not fit the categories of the examples listed, but it's still a catch phrase.  If "karma" as a concept had never become popular in western culture I still think people would notice and laugh at things that appear to be the result of an action. Whether or not they  had a catch phrase to describe that is debatable.

For me, instant karma is not a catch phrase at all. I actually agree with bbqboy,  Twitch .I think Lennon was possibly the first to use it. What I do hear all the time is "karma is a bitch." Now that's a catch phrase... probably from some movie or whatever. And I still don't believe in karma, and I doubt that most people that use the phrase really believe in it either. We all just hope that people don't get away with being an asshole. But they usually do.

I really don't know.  I only know a zillion things are attributed to Lennon that didn't really come from him.

But Karma is not about what goes around comes around.  It's a tenet of Hinduism (and Buddhism) that we work through our past wrongs and issues through reincarnation until you reach Nirvanna. It's fairly specific to the beliefs in the religion. I think the idea of 'now' Karma or 'instant Karma' is a westernized idea.
(11-18-2018, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I really don't know.  I only know a zillion things are attributed to Lennon that didn't really come from him.

But Karma is not about what goes around comes around.  It's a tenet of Hinduism (and Buddhism) that we work through our past wrongs and issues through reincarnation until you reach Nirvanna. It's fairly specific to the beliefs in the religion. I think the idea of 'now' Karma or 'instant Karma' is a westernized idea.

Probably so. To me, karma is just another way of saying "what comes around, goes around." And I think even that has religion at it's core. When you think about it, most religions try to define good and evil and then promise what will happen to you depending on how you follow their lead. In other words, they exploit our fear of the unknown.
(11-18-2018, 06:53 PM)GCG Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 06:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Probably so. To me, karma is just another way of saying "what comes around, goes around." And I think even that has religion at it's core. When you think about it, most religions try to define good and evil and then promise what will happen to you depending on how you follow their lead. In other words, they exploit our fear of the unknown.

I agree with you. I'm only saying that how we use the word "Karma" is a western concept and really not related to the Eastern Religion concept it originates from. And the popularization of that word came with the 1960's influx of Eastern mysticism to the west.  

This quote from Lennon comes closest to pinpointing it down to him as the originator of the phrase:  
Quote:It just came to me. Everybody was going on about karma, especially in the Sixties. But it occurred to me that karma is instant as well as it influences your past life or your future life. There really is a reaction to what you do now. That's what people ought to be concerned about. Also, I'm fascinated by commercials and promotion as an art form. I enjoy them. So the idea of instant karma was like the idea of instant coffee: presenting something in a new form. I just liked it.  John Lennon, 1980

All We Are Saying, David Sheff
Occam’s razor
(11-18-2018, 08:11 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Occam’s razor

That could apply to so many possibilities raised here.
(11-18-2018, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 03:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: Not to get too technical, but I don't think so.  Not a sentence. It would be a phrase not a sentence, because by definition a sentence needs to predicate.

However, Instant Karma the song was released in '70.  So, you'd have to be able to come up with a memory or example of hearing the phrase basically in '69.

I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

(11-18-2018, 10:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 04:50 PM)tvguy Wrote: I didn't know how to explain it any other way than a sentence. My point is maybe (probably) no single person ever coined the phrase because it's such a simple DESCRIPTION of something that happens all the time.

What's with your replies, TV?  They aren't showing.
(11-18-2018, 11:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Showing for me. But if it's not showing for you, in a nutshell he said that he agrees with everything that I said and that from now on he will come to me for guidance on all matters.
Laughing
(11-18-2018, 11:22 PM)GCG Wrote:
(11-18-2018, 05:43 PM)tvguy Wrote: I still disagree.... all of those "phrases" you mentioned "Aayy!" ala Fonzie, or "Bazinga!" ala Sheldon Cooper, or "Bam!" ala Emeril.

Showing for me. But if it's not showing for you, in a nutshell he said that he agrees with everything that I said and that from now on he will come to me for guidance on all matters.

Exactly. Razz

I don't know what happened. I was in my shop, wifi issues I guess.
(02-15-2019, 07:45 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Funny but it's so old when I saw it I fell off my dinosaur laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
(02-15-2019, 10:53 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Funny but it's so old when I saw it I fell off my dinosaur laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Right?
(02-16-2019, 09:12 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Right?
I think that came out in 2006 Big Grin
(02-16-2019, 01:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Right?

No doubt.  Lots of things on the interweb cycle around. I only posted it because it fit the topic so well.
(02-16-2019, 02:57 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Right?

No doubt.  Lots of things on the interweb cycle around. I only posted it because it fit the topic so well.

I actually didn't get it until now Smiling  Often I don't pay any attention to the name of the thread.
(02-16-2019, 03:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-15-2019, 10:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: Funny but it's so old when I saw it I fell off my dinosaur laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Right?

I actually didn't get it until now Smiling  Often I don't pay any attention to the name of the thread.

Karma, I thought that was some place in San Diego. I could never figure where in the world that was.
(02-17-2019, 06:37 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 03:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-16-2019, 09:12 AM)Juniper Wrote: Right?

Karma, I thought that was some place in San Diego. I could never figure where in the world that was.

I get it