Car batteries
About 4-5 years ago I bought a battery for my wife's car at Oreilly's. I think it was about $80. It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge. No questions asked. So today I went back to them for another battery, (same car), and the price had almost doubled to $150!  Twitch Twitch Twitch WTF is up with that? Have batteries really gone up that much?
(11-24-2018, 11:36 AM)GCG Wrote: About 4-5 years ago I bought my a battery for my wife's car at Oreilly's. I think it was about $80. It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge. No questions asked. So today I went back to them for another battery, (same car), and the price had almost doubled to $150!  Twitch Twitch Twitch WTF is up with that? Have batteries really gone up that much?

Probably.  I bought a new battery about two years ago. I think it was more than $80.00.
(11-24-2018, 11:36 AM)GCG Wrote: About 4-5 years ago I bought a battery for my wife's car at Oreilly's. I think it was about $80. It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge. No questions asked. So today I went back to them for another battery, (same car), and the price had almost doubled to $150!  Twitch Twitch Twitch WTF is up with that? Have batteries really gone up that much?

Lead production in the US is pretty much zero now, I understand. There is a lot of lead in car batteries so that might account for some cost increase. Still seems like a big jump though. Were the two batteries equal quality?
Everything is going up... you have tRump to thank for it.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(11-24-2018, 11:36 AM)GCG Wrote: About 4-5 years ago I bought a battery for my wife's car at Oreilly's. I think it was about $80. It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge. No questions asked. So today I went back to them for another battery, (same car), and the price had almost doubled to $150!  Twitch Twitch Twitch WTF is up with that? Have batteries really gone up that much?

No , you just got taken for a ride Razz

Here are Walmart batteries. It looks like prices may have gone up a little but not that much.There's a 5 year warranted battery for 93 bucks.

It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge.

Well that part is pretty awesome, I've never known anyone to do that. It would be interested to to know what brand battery, what warranty and how many cold cranking amps.
I forget the particulars but interstate has a reman 1 or 2 year warranty battery i have always had good luck with, pretty sure the last one I bought was $45, still running in both of our cars and cranking over daily. The one in my wife's car is from 2014, it has been cranking a little slow on cold mornings, I plan to replace it soon. But 4 years for that pricd, can't complain.
(11-24-2018, 01:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:

No , you just got taken for a ride Razz

Here are Walmart batteries. It looks like prices may have gone up a little but not that much.There's a 5 year warranted battery for 93 bucks.

It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge.

Well that part is pretty awesome, I've never known anyone to do that. It would be interested to to know what brand battery, what warranty and how many cold cranking amps.
Super Start, 3 year, 750 CCA. The reason I returned there was because they treated me right the previous time and I promised myself that I'd get my next battery there. I did not shop around... just figured they'd probably gone up everywhere.
Quote:It went dead after a couple of years and they replaced it free of charge.

I would have thought they'd replace it, fully charged.
Batteries might be the only reason I'd go to Wal*Mart since they are nationwide.