Help
My sister is visiting from So. Cal and her young girl neighbor that was given a key to go in and take care of her dog left the key inside and can't get in. Ideas other than an expensive locksmith?
(12-23-2018, 02:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote: My sister is visiting from So. Cal and her young girl neighbor that was given a key to go in and take care of her dog left the key inside and can't get in. Ideas other than an expensive locksmith?

No outside spare key?
(12-23-2018, 02:24 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-23-2018, 02:08 PM)Valuesize Wrote: My sister is visiting from So. Cal and her young girl neighbor that was given a key to go in and take care of her dog left the key inside and can't get in. Ideas other than an expensive locksmith?

No outside spare key?

Normally but not today. Girls dad came and got her in, so we're good now. Dad won't tell how he got in.lol Loooong time neighbor and friend so cool with that.Smiling
Is there a dead bolt? If not I've opened lots of locked doors with a credit card.
[Image: Locked-door.jpg]
(12-23-2018, 03:15 PM)tvguy Wrote: [Image: Locked-door.jpg]

The girls dad got them in. Not sure how.  Big Grin

Edit: Doors have deadbolts.
I once found an apartment complex that had it's sliding glass patio doors hung backwards. I could lift the door off the track and open it from outside, while it was latched shut.

Just sayin'
(12-23-2018, 09:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I once found an apartment complex that had it's sliding glass patio doors hung backwards. I could lift the door off the track and open it from outside, while it was latched shut.

Just sayin'

That's what I told her. Sliding glass doors are the most vulnerable places to get in. She doesn't even put a cutoff broomstick in the rail.
(12-23-2018, 09:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I once found an apartment complex that had it's sliding glass patio doors hung backwards. I could lift the door off the track and open it from outside, while it was latched shut.

Just sayin'

Sometimes you can do the same thing when the door is installed properly. Hence the broom stick VS mentioned.
(12-24-2018, 09:44 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Just sayin'

Sometimes you can do the same thing when the door is installed properly. Hence the broom stick VS mentioned.

OK. But in this case a stick wouldn't have made any difference. All I did was lift up and pull the bottom outwards. From the outside with the door latched. It came right out of the tracks.

I went to the property management company office and told them I wanted my deposit back, that I wouldn't be moving in after all and why. With other people in their office at the time they returned my check and scooted me out as fast as they could.   Big Grin
(12-24-2018, 10:05 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Just sayin'

OK. But in this case a stick wouldn't have made any difference. All I did was lift up and pull the bottom outwards. From the outside with the door latched. It came right out of the tracks.

I went to the property management company office and told them I wanted my deposit back, that I wouldn't be moving in after all and why. With other people in their office at the time they returned my check and scooted me out as fast as they could.   Big Grin

Dude I get it. I saw one installed that way once.

My slider is a full eight feet wide and aluminum double pained . The part that slides must weigh around 200 pounds.To lift it out and lay it down is a nightmare.
I have replaced the wheels three times and the last time I realized that it's so worn out I won't be able to fix it again.

So sometime in the not too far future I will have to buy a new one. I think I will re frame the opening to accept a standard size door because 8 ft wide sliders are well over 1000 bucks Blink
(12-24-2018, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Just sayin'

My slider is a full eight feet wide and aluminum double pained . The part that slides must weigh around 200 pounds.To lift it out and lay it down is a nightmare.
I have replaced the wheels three times and the last time I realized that it's so worn out I won't be able to fix it again.

So sometime in the not too far future I will have to buy a new one. I think I will re frame the opening to accept a standard size door because 8 ft wide sliders are well over 1000 bucks Blink

Is it the track itself that the door rides on what you think is worn out?
(12-24-2018, 04:33 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Just sayin'

Yes the track is worn. The part that sticks up that the wheel rolls on is worn down. Now if you slide the door too quickly the wheel doesn't turn  and chatters which is wearing it out even more.
So I have to tell everyone to slide it s l o w ly .
You can imagine how often that doesn't work.

But the part of the door where the wheels mount and adjust up and down is FUBAR . I barely got it to work the last time with a Rube Goldberg fix of some kind.
(12-24-2018, 04:43 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 04:33 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(12-24-2018, 09:44 AM)tvguy Wrote: Sometimes you can do the same thing when the door is installed properly. Hence the broom stick VS mentioned.

Yes the track is worn. The part that sticks up that the wheel rolls on is worn down. Now if you slide the door too quickly the wheel doesn't turn  and chatters which is wearing it out even more.
So I have to tell everyone to slide it s l o w ly .
You can imagine how often that doesn't work.

But the part of the door where the wheels mount and adjust up and down is FUBAR . I barely got it to work the last time with a Rube Goldberg fix of some kind.

You can order a new stainless track for the wheels to ride on that mounts over the existing. I ordered mine from home depot. It saved me having to replace our master bedroom closet doors (heavy mirrored) with tracks that were  beyond fubar. Would certainly buy you some more time to replacement. Our closet 2 years and counting and still open close like new. I will see if I can find a link to what i bought.
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-1.../202723305

Not super cheap, but a helluva lot cheaper than new door.

I can't remember if it was the instructions, or if I just did it that way but used silicone to install, like I said, my track was obscene, and it was kind of a bitch, mainly because of the damaged track, but it worked way better than expected.
(12-24-2018, 05:16 PM)GPnative Wrote: https://www.homedepot.com/p/Prime-Line-1.../202723305

Not super cheap, but a helluva lot cheaper than new door.

I can't remember if it was the instructions, or if I just did it that way but used silicone to install, like I said, my track was obscene, and it was kind of a bitch, mainly because of the damaged track, but it worked way better than expected.

Wow that's very interesting. I had no clue that was available.Good to know Smiling
But after a closer look my track isn't really that bad.
What's bad is where the wheels mount and the adjustment.
This is what we have on ours... keep the bad guys out... and the grandkids in!

Defender Security U 9919 Keyed Deadbolt Lock, White Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XPIGNA/ref...iCbGH545VG

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(12-25-2018, 01:00 PM)Scrapper Wrote: This is what we have on ours... keep the bad guys out... and the grandkids in!

Defender Security U 9919 Keyed Deadbolt Lock, White Finish https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000XPIGNA/ref...iCbGH545VG

Nice. And cheap too.)

This is what we have. NOT cheap Razz

[Image: coco-rocco-asdf.jpg]
(12-25-2018, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 01:00 PM)Scrapper Wrote: This is what we have on ours... keep the bad guys out... and the grandkids in!

Nice. And cheap too.)

This is what we have. NOT cheap

Yeah... we have this! But she would just lick them to death... or drive them nuts whining to play with her! [Image: 895371d8561542776892ede9ebc0378e.jpg]

(12-25-2018, 05:09 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(12-25-2018, 02:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Nice. And cheap too.)

This is what we have. NOT cheap

Yeah... we have this! But she would just lick them to death... or drive them nuts whining to play with her! [Image: 895371d8561542776892ede9ebc0378e.jpg]

I bet most burglars would find another house when they heard that little guy/gal.