Opinions on new 62 by-pass
(12-31-2018, 04:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 08:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 05:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: I get all that. But still if you are driving and you have an address in your GPS and it says turn at the next intersection 400 feet how can that not help?

I don't know, I just don't seem to have these problems with that area . I go to Fred Meyer,I know exactly how  to get to Rogue Regency, Withams,Guitar center. Bullock rd etc. If I go to the east side I use Owen rd to Delta waters
I have missed a turn and had to go a long way to get turned around but Hopefully I learned my lesson.

I think it's just a matter of time until you get used to all of this.
You are missing it completely. It's not about GPS. I use that a lot.  I know where places are a lot of times. I can SEE them.
Like I know where the Regency is.  But the access to it changed.  THAT'S what I haven't learned. It's not the GPS. It's the way they change the way things are but in my head it's still the old way. Because, honestly, how many times do I go to the Regency?   Or for the MOD pizza meeting, I could clearly see the MOD pizza sign. I knew where it was, what I wasn't sure about was the access, the driveway to get into it, and if you miss it, you are screwed.  GPS has nothing to do with it. Logic and accessibility is all of it. Speaking of Fred Meyers, they way they cut off the access to Hilton road illustrates my point perfectly. If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there. I know WHY they did, but it's annoying AF.  Or I can go through the CLH signal and cut behind the pizza parlor. All are annoying when you used to just be able to turn onto Hilton.

I got your point just fine. I didn't know if you used a GPS or not so I thought it might at least get you to make the first turn at the right place.
I know it's confusing Smiling

If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there.

What does the "divider" prevent you from doing?

I like that cut through Best Buys  parking lot. Razz  I can go from Freddie's to guitar center and then then turn right on 62 to go home

It prevents me turning left. I like the road not the parking lot excursion.
I would never do that to turn left. Even before all the road construction. Why would you turn left on 62 to go to your house? Maybe I'm confused.

Not left on Crater Lake. Left off Poplar onto Hilton.
(12-31-2018, 07:35 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 06:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 05:58 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 04:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:46 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: My opinion on the new bypass is "wait and see".  I have had a lot of the same thoughts and fears that have been put forward here by many of you, but until it's open and we have a few months under our belt, it will be hard to judge.  For reasons of my own, I am PLEASED to see that they have Agate merging straight onto the bypass in White City.

I go down Gregory from table Rock to Agate to go to Coastal (Big R) a LOT!!

It's not my favorite store but It's the closest and easy to get in and out of.

I hope the bypass doesn't mess that up for me.

It shouldn't.  I think from Gregory south, it will just be one way onto the bypass.  The Gregory route to northbound Agate will still be there.
I'm sure you're right it'll never be the same as it used to be with one little stop sign. Just another good old place being swallowed up by progress

I still expect the road leading into Eagle Point to be there off the Highway, even though it's complete redesigned and has been for years.
You lost me. What road?
(12-31-2018, 07:37 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 08:16 PM)Juniper Wrote: You are missing it completely. It's not about GPS. I use that a lot.  I know where places are a lot of times. I can SEE them.
Like I know where the Regency is.  But the access to it changed.  THAT'S what I haven't learned. It's not the GPS. It's the way they change the way things are but in my head it's still the old way. Because, honestly, how many times do I go to the Regency?   Or for the MOD pizza meeting, I could clearly see the MOD pizza sign. I knew where it was, what I wasn't sure about was the access, the driveway to get into it, and if you miss it, you are screwed.  GPS has nothing to do with it. Logic and accessibility is all of it. Speaking of Fred Meyers, they way they cut off the access to Hilton road illustrates my point perfectly. If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there. I know WHY they did, but it's annoying AF.  Or I can go through the CLH signal and cut behind the pizza parlor. All are annoying when you used to just be able to turn onto Hilton.

I got your point just fine. I didn't know if you used a GPS or not so I thought it might at least get you to make the first turn at the right place.

If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there.

I like that cut through Best Buys  parking lot. Razz  I can go from Freddie's to guitar center and then then turn right on 62 to go home

I would never do that to turn left. Even before all the road construction. Why would you turn left on 62 to go to your house? Maybe I'm confused.

OK I see LOL I had to use Google earth to see what you meant. Yes you pretty much have to cruise through Best Buy's parking lot. Or go behind and around the store. That's where I go when I need Styrofoam for shipping.

So I'm guessing at some point you got to that intersection and then because you HAD to turn right you were PISSED LOL

[Image: Juniper.jpg]
(01-01-2019, 02:27 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote: I got your point just fine. I didn't know if you used a GPS or not so I thought it might at least get you to make the first turn at the right place.

OK I see LOL I had to use Google earth to see what you meant. Yes you pretty much have to cruise through Best Buy's parking lot. Or go behind and around the store. That's where I go when I need Styrofoam for shipping.

So I'm guessing at some point you got to that intersection and then because you HAD to turn right you were PISSED LOL

More better to exit Freddies at the light that is avaiable and turn left onto Poplar and then right on Hilton. There is easy access to that lighted intersection from Freddies.
(01-01-2019, 03:14 PM).GCG Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:18 PM)Juniper Wrote: It prevents me turning left. I like the road not the parking lot excursion.

More better to exit Freddies at the light that is avaiable and turn left onto Poplar and then right on Hilton. There is easy access to that lighted intersection from Freddies.

I think she knows that and does that. She's talking about when she is going to FM not leaving , when she is driving down Hilton and she can't turn left on to Poplar.

I think Smiling
(01-01-2019, 03:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 03:14 PM).GCG Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 04:05 PM)tvguy Wrote: I would never do that to turn left. Even before all the road construction. Why would you turn left on 62 to go to your house? Maybe I'm confused.

I think she knows that and does that. She's talking about when she is going to FM not leaving , when she is driving down Hilton and she can't turn left on to Poplar.

I think Smiling

Now I get it! That's easy. Don't drive down Hilton. I avoid the area between Crater Lake Ave. and Hwy 62 in that part of town. Try to get from North Medford High to anywhere on 62 between Delta Waters and I-5. I mean without a helicopter.
This is hilarious. But no, it's not about going TO Freddies or coming down Hilton. I liked being able to access Hilton from a left hand turn off Poplar. So, if I come OUT of Freddies on Poplar or off the highway, I don't like having to drive down to Morrow. It's pretty silly, but it annoys me because in my head I remember being able to get to Hilton without all the fuss and bother. These things are stamped in my collective unconscious driving and then, suddenly I'll find myself unable to access a place I always could before.

I typically don't go down Poplar from CHL, I usually take Skypark from the hwy and that works fine.
(01-01-2019, 05:30 PM)Juniper Wrote: This is hilarious.  But no, it's not about  going TO Freddies or coming down Hilton. I liked being able to access Hilton from a left hand turn off Poplar. So, if I come OUT of Freddies on Poplar or off the highway, I don't like having to drive down to Morrow.  It's pretty silly, but it annoys me because in my head I remember being able to get to Hilton without all the fuss and bother. These things are stamped in my collective unconscious driving and then, suddenly I'll find myself unable to access a place I always could before.

I typically don't go down Poplar from CHL, I usually take Skypark from the hwy and that works fine.

Well anyway my arrow does point at the barrier you are against Razz
While we are on the subject can we agree the guy who named Crater lake avenue that's like 50 feet away from Crater lake Highway  an IDIOT!
(01-01-2019, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: While we are on the subject can we agree the guy who named Crater lake avenue that's like 50 feet away from Crater lake Highway  an IDIOT!

You must be a sexist pig. Maybe it was a woman that did that.
(01-01-2019, 07:16 PM)GCG Wrote:
(01-01-2019, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote: While we are on the subject can we agree the guy who named Crater lake avenue that's like 50 feet away from Crater lake Highway  an IDIOT!

You must be a sexist pig. Maybe it was a woman that did that.
Razz   OK but either way it was a moron.
I can't tell you how many times people have said avenue when they meant Highway or the opposite. Or they simply say   "you go down and turn right on Crater lake and"....

True.
(12-29-2018, 09:21 AM)GCG Wrote: I'm less than impressed by the design of the new by-pass. Specifically the positioning of the beginning and ending of it. Before they began construction, the primary bottlenecks were located at these locations: intersection at Poplar, (Fred Meyer), intersection at Delta Waters, (Olive Garden) and the intersection of 140. Once past 140 it remains busy until you get past the dom. 

Only the intersection at Delta Waters will get relief. Arguably the busiest spot is Poplar which will become even worse if new traffic is drawn to the by-pass that might otherwsie have gone up to exit 33.

Worse yet will be the back up at the new light that will merge the north end of the bypass with 62 just BEFORE where all the traffic used to get backed up previously.

They should have figured out a way to have the by-pass traffic flow directly off of I-5 with no lights or stops. And it should have proceeded all the way until the north end of the dom. with exits at say Delta Waters, Vilas and Antelope. Done and done. Maybe that is what the by-pass will look like eventually... but I've never seen any plans indicating it. What I do see is a bunch of money spent on something that will not solve the hwy 62 traffic problems.

Do any of you see it differently?

Pretty good analysis of the situation. Eventually the bypass will terminate at Dutton Rd. and hwy 62, necessitating yet another traffic signal.
(01-02-2019, 11:28 AM)tornado Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 09:21 AM)GCG Wrote: I'm less than impressed by the design of the new by-pass. Specifically the positioning of the beginning and ending of it. Before they began construction, the primary bottlenecks were located at these locations: intersection at Poplar, (Fred Meyer), intersection at Delta Waters, (Olive Garden) and the intersection of 140. Once past 140 it remains busy until you get past the dom. 

Only the intersection at Delta Waters will get relief. Arguably the busiest spot is Poplar which will become even worse if new traffic is drawn to the by-pass that might otherwsie have gone up to exit 33.

Worse yet will be the back up at the new light that will merge the north end of the bypass with 62 just BEFORE where all the traffic used to get backed up previously.

They should have figured out a way to have the by-pass traffic flow directly off of I-5 with no lights or stops. And it should have proceeded all the way until the north end of the dom. with exits at say Delta Waters, Vilas and Antelope. Done and done. Maybe that is what the by-pass will look like eventually... but I've never seen any plans indicating it. What I do see is a bunch of money spent on something that will not solve the hwy 62 traffic problems.

Pretty good analysis of the situation. Eventually the bypass will terminate at Dutton Rd. and hwy 62, necessitating yet another traffic signal.

That was the plan but I think that plan has been abandoned for some reason. I think it could be over environmental issues.
(01-02-2019, 03:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

That was the plan but I think that plan has been abandoned for some reason. I think it could be over environmental issues.

Wonderful news. I live about 1/2 mile north of Dutton Rd., and wasn't look forward to another signal between my place and Medford.
(01-02-2019, 08:13 PM)tornado Wrote:
(01-02-2019, 03:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Wonderful news. I live about 1/2 mile north of Dutton Rd., and wasn't look forward to another signal between my place and Medford.

I get it. With my drive to work over the years every time they added a traffic light it slowed me down.
But that's not what bothered me. What bothered me was when I had to stop for a light when there was no traffic?
Or when one car trips the signal and ME and several others all have to stop for one guy.