Opinions on new 62 by-pass
(12-30-2018, 01:25 PM)GCG Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 11:41 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 01:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: Funny, now that I'm in a new place I'm on this stretch of town a lot. I used to NEVER go near Crater Lake Hwy. Now it's a bit hard to avoid, but I do my best to avoid it anyway. In general I am appalled at road design now. Everything seems to be designed to prevent access and regress directly off the main roads.  This is everywhere I go I notice. But, if you don't know precisely where you are and what lane and what access to be at, you miss it entirely and often have to go a half a mile out of your way to correct your mistake. There's no way out.  All accesses are denied.  It's maddening

Everything seems to be designed to prevent access and regress directly off the main roads

Of course you know that's on purpose right LOL. The less intersections the better the traffic flow. I guess you are talking about 62? If so once you get used to it and know where you need to go it's better now. And more safe.

Yes, I do know. But it drives me crazy anyway. For instance the only way to turn West onto 62 from east side is Delta Waters or Poplar.  There are solid island barriers that keep you from getting onto the hwy otherwise. And not just 62, all over. Every natural point of access is cut off and you have to do some kind of fancy dance and know EXACTLY where to go in order to get in or out.  For instance the MOD pizza over by the South Fred Meyers.  I was supposed to meet someone there, but wasn't exactly sure where it was.  I drove right by it. And by then it was so complicated to get back to it, I just said "Screw it" and drove on home.  Or the other day on 62 I wanted to go to lunch with my visiting son with at the Regency.  Now, I never go there, so I didn't really know where the entrance was. Well, don't miss it or you have to do a big loop to come back to it and get in.  It's just over the top fussy to get in and out of places.

I'm 100% with you on this. Those businesses are terrible to naviagte in and out... Witham's, The Regency, The Ramada, Sherm's and everything else in that little area got royally screwed when they put that cloverleaf from hell in. And I'll tell you all what else... it all stems from the airport being in the middle of town. Look at Google maps and it becomes very apparent why it's impossible to get around.

Look at Google maps and it becomes very apparent why it's impossible to get around.

Oh come on now "impossible? Laughing  
(12-30-2018, 02:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 01:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-29-2018, 12:44 PM)Juniper Wrote: Funny, now that I'm in a new place I'm on this stretch of town a lot. I used to NEVER go near Crater Lake Hwy. Now it's a bit hard to avoid, but I do my best to avoid it anyway. In general I am appalled at road design now. Everything seems to be designed to prevent access and regress directly off the main roads.  This is everywhere I go I notice. But, if you don't know precisely where you are and what lane and what access to be at, you miss it entirely and often have to go a half a mile out of your way to correct your mistake. There's no way out.  All accesses are denied.  It's maddening

Everything seems to be designed to prevent access and regress directly off the main roads

Of course you know that's on purpose right LOL. The less intersections the better the traffic flow. I guess you are talking about 62? If so once you get used to it and know where you need to go it's better now. And more safe.

Yes, I do know. But it drives me crazy anyway. For instance the only way to turn West onto 62 from east side is Delta Waters or Poplar.  There are solid island barriers that keep you from getting onto the hwy otherwise. And not just 62, all over. Every natural point of access is cut off and you have to do some kind of fancy dance and know EXACTLY where to go in order to get in or out.  For instance the MOD pizza over by the South Fred Meyers.  I was supposed to meet someone there, but wasn't exactly sure where it was.  I drove right by it. And by then it was so complicated to get back to it, I just said "Screw it" and drove on home.  Or the other day on 62 I wanted to go to lunch with my visiting son with at the Regency.  Now, I never go there, so I didn't really know where the entrance was. Well, don't miss it or you have to do a big loop to come back to it and get in.  It's just over the top fussy to get in and out of places.

GPS?

Nope. Probably end up on Bear Camp Road in January. Then we'd have one less on RVF.   Sad

Well in town the GPS works great for me.
(12-30-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote:

GPS?

Nope. Probably end up on Bear Camp Road in January. Then we'd have one less on RVF.   Sad

Ridiculous.  GPS is one thing.   But GPS doesn't always tell you exactly how to get into a business.  It just says "You have arrived at your destination" but the entrance may not be clear. Or sometimes there's actually a barrier between myself and the entrance, so, "You have arrived at your destination" or "Your destination is on the left" may not be helpful. I might see the place I was going to and but missed the ONE access and there it goes...I'm in heavy, quick moving traffic and I missed it as with MOD pizza . That's exactly what happened.  Oh, there it is! Oh, wait, now it's back there because I didn't see this hidden entrance. Now I have to do all sorts of maneuvering to just get back to the one point where I can get in. Getting to the address does not always get me into the business. I have had that happen numerous times.
There's nothing there but restaurants. Just go straight down center till you're in the field.
(12-30-2018, 03:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I'm 100% with you on this. Those businesses are terrible to naviagte in and out... Witham's, The Regency, The Ramada, Sherm's and everything else in that little area got royally screwed when they put that cloverleaf from hell in. And I'll tell you all what else... it all stems from the airport being in the middle of town. Look at Google maps and it becomes very apparent why it's impossible to get around.

Look at Google maps and it becomes very apparent why it's impossible to get around.

Oh brother... the king of rhetoric calls me out on mine!  Laughing
(12-30-2018, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 11:41 AM)Juniper Wrote: Yes, I do know. But it drives me crazy anyway. For instance the only way to turn West onto 62 from east side is Delta Waters or Poplar.  There are solid island barriers that keep you from getting onto the hwy otherwise. And not just 62, all over. Every natural point of access is cut off and you have to do some kind of fancy dance and know EXACTLY where to go in order to get in or out.  For instance the MOD pizza over by the South Fred Meyers.  I was supposed to meet someone there, but wasn't exactly sure where it was.  I drove right by it. And by then it was so complicated to get back to it, I just said "Screw it" and drove on home.  Or the other day on 62 I wanted to go to lunch with my visiting son with at the Regency.  Now, I never go there, so I didn't really know where the entrance was. Well, don't miss it or you have to do a big loop to come back to it and get in.  It's just over the top fussy to get in and out of places.

GPS?

Ridiculous.  GPS is one thing.   But GPS doesn't always tell you exactly how to get into a business.  It just says "You have arrived at your destination" but the entrance may not be clear. Or sometimes there's actually a barrier between myself and the entrance, so, "You have arrived at your destination" or "Your destination is on the left" may not be helpful. I might see the place I was going to and but missed the ONE access and there it goes...I'm in heavy, quick moving traffic and I missed it as with MOD pizza . That's exactly what happened.  Oh, there it is! Oh, wait, now it's back there because I didn't see this hidden entrance. Now I have to do all sorts of maneuvering to just get back to the one point where I can get in. Getting to the address does not always get me into the business. I have had that happen numerous times.

I get all that. But still if you are driving and you have an address in your GPS and it says turn at the next intersection 400 feet how can that not help?

I don't know, I just don't seem to have these problems with that area . I go to Fred Meyer,I know exactly how  to get to Rogue Regency, Withams,Guitar center. Bullock rd etc. If I go to the east side I use Owen rd to Delta waters
I have missed a turn and had to go a long way to get turned around but Hopefully I learned my lesson.

I think it's just a matter of time until you get used to all of this.
(12-30-2018, 05:12 PM)GCG Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 03:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Oh brother... the king of rhetoric calls me out on mine!  Laughing

What? I don't hardly not never over exaggerate.
(12-30-2018, 05:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 01:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: GPS?

I get all that. But still if you are driving and you have an address in your GPS and it says turn at the next intersection 400 feet how can that not help?

I don't know, I just don't seem to have these problems with that area . I go to Fred Meyer,I know exactly how  to get to Rogue Regency, Withams,Guitar center. Bullock rd etc. If I go to the east side I use Owen rd to Delta waters
I have missed a turn and had to go a long way to get turned around but Hopefully I learned my lesson.

You are missing it completely. It's not about GPS. I use that a lot.  I know where places are a lot of times. I can SEE them.
Like I know where the Regency is.  But the access to it changed.  THAT'S what I haven't learned. It's not the GPS. It's the way they change the way things are but in my head it's still the old way. Because, honestly, how many times do I go to the Regency?   Or for the MOD pizza meeting, I could clearly see the MOD pizza sign. I knew where it was, what I wasn't sure about was the access, the driveway to get into it, and if you miss it, you are screwed.  GPS has nothing to do with it. Logic and accessibility is all of it. Speaking of Fred Meyers, they way they cut off the access to Hilton road illustrates my point perfectly. If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there. I know WHY they did, but it's annoying AF.  Or I can go through the CLH signal and cut behind the pizza parlor. All are annoying when you used to just be able to turn onto Hilton.
(12-30-2018, 08:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 02:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Nope. Probably end up on Bear Camp Road in January. Then we'd have one less on RVF.   Sad

You are missing it completely. It's not about GPS. I use that a lot.  I know where places are a lot of times. I can SEE them.
Like I know where the Regency is.  But the access to it changed.  THAT'S what I haven't learned. It's not the GPS. It's the way they change the way things are but in my head it's still the old way. Because, honestly, how many times do I go to the Regency?   Or for the MOD pizza meeting, I could clearly see the MOD pizza sign. I knew where it was, what I wasn't sure about was the access, the driveway to get into it, and if you miss it, you are screwed.  GPS has nothing to do with it. Logic and accessibility is all of it. Speaking of Fred Meyers, they way they cut off the access to Hilton road illustrates my point perfectly. If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there. I know WHY they did, but it's annoying AF.  Or I can go through the CLH signal and cut behind the pizza parlor. All are annoying when you used to just be able to turn onto Hilton.

I got your point just fine. I didn't know if you used a GPS or not so I thought it might at least get you to make the first turn at the right place.
I know it's confusing Smiling

If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there.

What does the "divider" prevent you from doing?

I like that cut through Best Buys  parking lot. Razz  I can go from Freddie's to guitar center and then then turn right on 62 to go home
(12-30-2018, 02:28 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Nope. Probably end up on Bear Camp Road in January. Then we'd have one less on RVF.   Sad

I think that when you leave Freddies you must be going straight past the gas pumps towards Best Buy. But if you turn right before leaving Freddies lot, (kinda towards the garden area), it puts you at the light that crosses Poplar and you can just turn left from there.
(12-31-2018, 01:53 PM)GCG Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well in town the GPS works great for me.

I think that when you leave Freddies you must be going straight past the gas pumps towards Best Buy. But if you turn right before leaving Freddies lot, (kinda towards the garden area), it puts you at the light that crosses Poplar and you can just turn left from there.

If you can.  Good point though there's no light there, so it's kind of chancy..
(12-31-2018, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 04:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: Well in town the GPS works great for me.

I got your point just fine. I didn't know if you used a GPS or not so I thought it might at least get you to make the first turn at the right place.

If I leave Freddies and want to go home, I either have to go all the way down to Morrow or cut through the Best Buy parking lot because they put a divider in there.

I like that cut through Best Buys  parking lot. Razz  I can go from Freddie's to guitar center and then then turn right on 62 to go home

It prevents me turning left. I like the road not the parking lot excursion.
(12-31-2018, 03:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote:  Ridiculous.  GPS is one thing.   But GPS doesn't always tell you exactly how to get into a business.  It just says "You have arrived at your destination" but the entrance may not be clear. Or sometimes there's actually a barrier between myself and the entrance, so, "You have arrived at your destination" or "Your destination is on the left" may not be helpful. I might see the place I was going to and but missed the ONE access and there it goes...I'm in heavy, quick moving traffic and I missed it as with MOD pizza . That's exactly what happened.  Oh, there it is! Oh, wait, now it's back there because I didn't see this hidden entrance. Now I have to do all sorts of maneuvering to just get back to the one point where I can get in. Getting to the address does not always get me into the business. I have had that happen numerous times.

We are on different planes here. There is a light on the driveway that leads from Freddies to Best Buy. The very next right after you pass the parking area that is due south of the gas pumps will take you to it. Have a look at Google Maps and you will see it. I've made the mistake of missing that turn a dozen times because that used to be the way to the light. But it's not anymore.
My opinion on the new bypass is "wait and see".  I have had a lot of the same thoughts and fears that have been put forward here by many of you, but until it's open and we have a few months under our belt, it will be hard to judge.  For reasons of my own, I am PLEASED to see that they have Agate merging straight onto the bypass in White City.
(12-31-2018, 03:18 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote:  Ridiculous.  GPS is one thing.   But GPS doesn't always tell you exactly how to get into a business.  It just says "You have arrived at your destination" but the entrance may not be clear. Or sometimes there's actually a barrier between myself and the entrance, so, "You have arrived at your destination" or "Your destination is on the left" may not be helpful. I might see the place I was going to and but missed the ONE access and there it goes...I'm in heavy, quick moving traffic and I missed it as with MOD pizza . That's exactly what happened.  Oh, there it is! Oh, wait, now it's back there because I didn't see this hidden entrance. Now I have to do all sorts of maneuvering to just get back to the one point where I can get in. Getting to the address does not always get me into the business. I have had that happen numerous times.

It prevents me turning left. I like the road not the parking lot excursion.
I would never do that to turn left. Even before all the road construction. Why would you turn left on 62 to go to your house? Maybe I'm confused.
(12-31-2018, 03:29 PM)GCG Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(12-30-2018, 05:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: I get all that. But still if you are driving and you have an address in your GPS and it says turn at the next intersection 400 feet how can that not help?

We are on different planes here. There is a light on the driveway that leads from Freddies to Best Buy. The very next right after you pass the parking area that is due south of the gas pumps will take you to it. Have a look at Google Maps and you will see it. I've made the mistake of missing that turn a dozen times because that used to be the way to the light. But it's not anymore.
Yes GCG I didn't get what she meant either. Now I think I do.
(12-31-2018, 03:46 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: My opinion on the new bypass is "wait and see".  I have had a lot of the same thoughts and fears that have been put forward here by many of you, but until it's open and we have a few months under our belt, it will be hard to judge.  For reasons of my own, I am PLEASED to see that they have Agate merging straight onto the bypass in White City.

I go down Gregory from table Rock to Agate to go to Coastal (Big R) a LOT!!

It's not my favorite store but It's the closest and easy to get in and out of.

I hope the bypass doesn't mess that up for me.
(12-31-2018, 04:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 03:46 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: My opinion on the new bypass is "wait and see".  I have had a lot of the same thoughts and fears that have been put forward here by many of you, but until it's open and we have a few months under our belt, it will be hard to judge.  For reasons of my own, I am PLEASED to see that they have Agate merging straight onto the bypass in White City.

It shouldn't.  I think from Gregory south, it will just be one way onto the bypass.  The Gregory route to northbound Agate will still be there.
(12-31-2018, 05:58 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

It shouldn't.  I think from Gregory south, it will just be one way onto the bypass.  The Gregory route to northbound Agate will still be there.
I'm sure you're right it'll never be the same as it used to be with one little stop sign. Just another good old place being swallowed up by progress
(12-31-2018, 06:15 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-31-2018, 05:58 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

I'm sure you're right it'll never be the same as it used to be with one little stop sign. Just another good old place being swallowed up by progress

I still expect the road leading into Eagle Point to be there off the Highway, even though it's complete redesigned and has been for years.