Dumb or Funny Headlines
(05-09-2019, 08:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: JuniperI meant he wasn't as big as a mastiff could get.  The other breed is keeping him small.  And I have no particular attraction to Pit bulls, so I would never be looking specifically for a pit bull.  My reason for not getting them is that they seem to upset people and insurance agents and just in general...so, since I don't really have an attraction to them, why not just avoid them?  I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also, but I'm not going around looking for one. What's unfortunate about the pound is that 95% of their dogs seem to be some kind of pit bull. The better breeds are at Southern Oregon Human, but I boycott them on principle. Those people are loopy and over the top.

I've seen many, many sweet natured, silly old Pits and Staffordshire terriers also,

So have I but facts are facts and insurance companies don't base what they do on a dogs undeserved reputation or a stigma against PB's.

I think pits are indeed a dangerous breed. The typical defense PB lovers use is it's not the dog but the owner that makes them aggressive.
My question to those people which has never been answered is this.... Why don't other breeds have these bad owners that teach aggression? Where are all the bad owners of Labradors?

Well, there's certainly something to that argument. But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  Except I probably have a dog that's part pit! Laughing Blink Embarrassed

But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  OK but you seemed to say you WOULD get a pit if it were not for the fact that they upset other people and insurance reasons.

That's not my primary reason. My primary reason, is that I'm not attracted to the breed. But the second reason is a big part of it. IF I was attracted to the breed, it probably wouldn't deter me as much.

I wonder why people are attracted to the breed. But here's my guess. At the beginning it was most the wanna be tough people. People who like the idea of having a threatening dog. The same kind of people who are more likely to be low income and to live in the cheapest area like west Medford.
The same type of people to NOT spay or neuter. So the next thing you know there are PB pups that are easy to be had cheaply or for free.
And that just snow balled and now no one wants all the excess ones which is why the pound has like 80 to 90% PB's.

I swear, everyone in West Medford has a pitbull. And it's sad that the pound is so full of them.  I just looked at their page and for once they have a few different ones, but a really high percentage of pit mixes. Many, many times, when I look they are ALL pit mixes. I asked the pound why they only had pits the last time I was there, and why did they always have pits and that Southern Oregon Humane does not have so many. They said because SOHS is able to be selective. They only accpet the animals they want to accept where as the pound does not, and cannot discriminate. I do not patronize the Human Society, because I have too many experiences with them being that kind of militant pet crusader I disdain. I support the pound all the way.
(05-09-2019, 09:21 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 08:31 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:15 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 05:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 04:58 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, there's certainly something to that argument. But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  Except I probably have a dog that's part pit! Laughing Blink Embarrassed

But I'm not getting a pit, so it's meaningless to me.  OK but you seemed to say you WOULD get a pit if it were not for the fact that they upset other people and insurance reasons.

That's not my primary reason. My primary reason, is that I'm not attracted to the breed. But the second reason is a big part of it. IF I was attracted to the breed, it probably wouldn't deter me as much.

I wonder why people are attracted to the breed. But here's my guess. At the beginning it was most the wanna be tough people. People who like the idea of having a threatening dog. The same kind of people who are more likely to be low income and to live in the cheapest area like west Medford.
The same type of people to NOT spay or neuter. So the next thing you know there are PB pups that are easy to be had cheaply or for free.
And that just snow balled and now no one wants all the excess ones which is why the pound has like 80 to 90% PB's.

I swear, everyone in West Medford has a pitbull. And it's sad that the pound is so full of them.  I just looked at their page and for once they have a few different ones, but a really high percentage of pit mixes. Many, many times, when I look they are ALL pit mixes. I asked the pound why they only had pits the last time I was there, and why did they always have pits and that Southern Oregon Humane does not have so many. They said because SOHS is able to be selective. They only accpet the animals they want to accept where as the pound does not, and cannot discriminate. I do not patronize the Human Society, because I have too many experiences with them being that kind of militant pet crusader I disdain. I support the pound all the way.

Like   ... anyway think of my theory as to why there are so many pb's
(05-09-2019, 09:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: ne
Like   ... anyway think of my theory as to why there are so many pb's

No argument here! You're nearly, probably, about 99.999 percent correct. Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
I don't do it anymore, but for years I did a social worker kind of job and did home visits to low income folks in the community. Guess what the most common breed of dog was the family pet? Except for the Hispanics. For some reason, they really liked chihuahuas.
for awhile we were considering getting a dog, so I was keeping tabs on the animal shelter websites and that is what we quickly noticed and then stopped looking because all and if not all, then the majority % were all pit or pit mix, and there is just no way I would ever bring that breed in any way shape or form into our home.
Of course it did make me wonder why, and I think TV's theory is as good as any. I think irresponsible owner and pit are synonymous.
I was on a walk a few months ago on a pedestrian trail and low and behold what comes walking up from the creek as I'm walking by, a damn pit. No owner anywhere in site, I think it was from a nearby home. But nothing can instill fear like that moment when you are face to face with one of those damn things. It didn't bark or act aggressive, so I maintained my course, but admittedly I was nervous. It watched me the whole time and I watched it, I really didn't know what I would have done had it been aggressive, and I was pissed I was not packing heat. This is a popular trail, used by lots of kids and I have not walked it since. Makes me mad that a douche owner would let it run free on a public trail, even if you think your pit wont hurt a fly, Joe public walking the trail does not know that, I think that is what the assholes get off on.
(05-09-2019, 09:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't do it anymore, but for years I did a social worker kind of job and did home visits to low income folks in the community. Guess what the most common breed of dog was the family pet?  Except for the Hispanics. For some reason, they really liked chihuahuas.

They taste better.
(05-10-2019, 08:40 AM)GPnative Wrote: I was on a walk a few months ago on a pedestrian trail and low and behold what comes walking up from the creek as I'm walking by, a damn pit. No owner anywhere in site, I think it was from a nearby home. But nothing can instill fear like that moment when you are face to face with one of those damn things. It didn't bark or act aggressive, so I maintained my course, but admittedly I was nervous. It watched me the whole time and I watched it, I really didn't know what I would have done had it been aggressive, and I was pissed I was not packing heat. This is a popular trail, used by lots of kids and I have not walked it since. Makes me mad that a douche owner would let it run free on a public trail, even if you think your pit wont hurt a fly, Joe public walking the trail does not know that, I think that is what the assholes get off on.

Along those lines....I'll tell you my dog story. This only happened 3 weeks ago.  On many Sunday mornings, I go garden in the front yard. I take my little portable radio with me and listen to NPR Ted Talks and This American Life. It's a nice little routine.  Well, now I have the dog. He is sweet and kind and gentle and I make him sit next to me while I chop or dig.  ( I have a tiny little chair, because I can't really just stand and garden anymore).  There's a family who walks by on Sunday mornings on their way to church.  Very cute. Kinda "fundy" and biblical looking with 4 little children all dressed up in quite the finery.  The children are young, All under 6.  They walk by and we exchange pleasantries. The oldest politely asks if he can pet my dog and my dog goes to say hi. He's all wiggle and squirmand wag; a torrent of gentle enthusiasm. Then they go on their way.  Well, the dog loves this. He loves children.  But then another family came by, this time a cute Hispanic family with two women, and two children. The children maybe 7 and 8.  Well, Mr. Dog is SO excited!! And this time, he disobeyed my command to stay and ran over to greet the children. But they were not delighted. Here was a 100 pound dog loping (charging ) at them with mouth open, and huge rows of sharp, white teeth..(FANGS!)  This family did not smile. This family did not laugh and greet the dog.  They screamed in pure TERROR and they RAN right into the street. I live on a busy street. It is NOT safe to run into the street.  They (the children mostly) were running into the street, shrieking and crying, convinced this monster was going to eat them.  I was mortified. I quickly had the dog and was reassuring them it was ok and I was sorry. I even said it all in Spanish just in case.  They smiled uncertainly but you could see they knew I was wrong about that. Then they crossed the street!  I felt awful.  Now when I garden I take the dog, but he's on a leash because I just can't risk that.
(05-10-2019, 01:25 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(05-09-2019, 09:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't do it anymore, but for years I did a social worker kind of job and did home visits to low income folks in the community. Guess what the most common breed of dog was the family pet?  Except for the Hispanics. For some reason, they really liked chihuahuas.

They taste better.

You must mean the pitbulls taste better, because they keep the chihuahuas around.
(05-11-2019, 07:48 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(05-10-2019, 08:40 AM)GPnative Wrote: I was on a walk a few months ago on a pedestrian trail and low and behold what comes walking up from the creek as I'm walking by, a damn pit. No owner anywhere in site, I think it was from a nearby home. But nothing can instill fear like that moment when you are face to face with one of those damn things. It didn't bark or act aggressive, so I maintained my course, but admittedly I was nervous. It watched me the whole time and I watched it, I really didn't know what I would have done had it been aggressive, and I was pissed I was not packing heat. This is a popular trail, used by lots of kids and I have not walked it since. Makes me mad that a douche owner would let it run free on a public trail, even if you think your pit wont hurt a fly, Joe public walking the trail does not know that, I think that is what the assholes get off on.

Along those lines....I'll tell you my dog story. This only happened 3 weeks ago.  On many Sunday mornings, I go garden in the front yard. I take my little portable radio with me and listen to NPR Ted Talks and This American Life. It's a nice little routine.  Well, now I have the dog. He is sweet and kind and gentle and I make him sit next to me while I chop or dig.  ( I have a tiny little chair, because I can't really just stand and garden anymore).  There's a family who walks by on Sunday mornings on their way to church.  Very cute. Kinda "fundy" and biblical looking with 4 little children all dressed up in quite the finery.  The children are young, All under 6.  They walk by and we exchange pleasantries. The oldest politely asks if he can pet my dog and my dog goes to say hi. He's all wiggles and squirms and wag; a torrent of gentle enthusiasm. Then they go on their way.  Well, the dog loves this. He loves children.  But then another family came by, this time a cute Hispanic family with two women, and two children. The children maybe 7 and 8.  Well, Mr. Dog is SO excited!! And this time, he disobeyed my command to stay and ran over to greet the children. But they were not delighted. Here was a 100 pound dog loping (charging ) at them with mouth open, and huge rows of sharp, white teeth..(FANGS!)  This family did not smile. This family did not laugh and greet the dog.  They screamed in pure TERROR and they RAN right into the street. I live on a busy street. It is NOT safe to run into the street.  They (the children mostly) were running into the street, shrieking and crying, convinced this monster was going to eat them.  I was mortified. I quickly had the dog and was reassuring them it was ok and I was sorry. I even said it all in Spanish just in case.  They smiled uncertainly but you could see they knew I was wrong about that. Then they crossed the street!  I felt awful.  Now when I garden I take the dog, but he's on a leash because I just can't risk that.

You need to build a wall, to protect the Hispanics.
Laughing
(05-11-2019, 07:55 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Along those lines....I'll tell you my dog story. This only happened 3 weeks ago.  On many Sunday mornings, I go garden in the front yard. I take my little portable radio with me and listen to NPR Ted Talks and This American Life. It's a nice little routine.  Well, now I have the dog. He is sweet and kind and gentle and I make him sit next to me while I chop or dig.  ( I have a tiny little chair, because I can't really just stand and garden anymore).  There's a family who walks by on Sunday mornings on their way to church.  Very cute. Kinda "fundy" and biblical looking with 4 little children all dressed up in quite the finery.  The children are young, All under 6.  They walk by and we exchange pleasantries. The oldest politely asks if he can pet my dog and my dog goes to say hi. He's all wiggles and squirms and wag; a torrent of gentle enthusiasm. Then they go on their way.  Well, the dog loves this. He loves children.  But then another family came by, this time a cute Hispanic family with two women, and two children. The children maybe 7 and 8.  Well, Mr. Dog is SO excited!! And this time, he disobeyed my command to stay and ran over to greet the children. But they were not delighted. Here was a 100 pound dog loping (charging ) at them with mouth open, and huge rows of sharp, white teeth..(FANGS!)  This family did not smile. This family did not laugh and greet the dog.  They screamed in pure TERROR and they RAN right into the street. I live on a busy street. It is NOT safe to run into the street.  They (the children mostly) were running into the street, shrieking and crying, convinced this monster was going to eat them.  I was mortified. I quickly had the dog and was reassuring them it was ok and I was sorry. I even said it all in Spanish just in case.  They smiled uncertainly but you could see they knew I was wrong about that. Then they crossed the street!  I felt awful.  Now when I garden I take the dog, but he's on a leash because I just can't risk that.

Laughing

Laughing Laughing 

You do have an interestingly twisted mind! Razz
(05-11-2019, 07:55 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Bwahahaha! That's hilarious!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Along those lines....I'll tell you my dog story. This only happened 3 weeks ago.  On many Sunday mornings, I go garden in the front yard. I take my little portable radio with me and listen to NPR Ted Talks and This American Life. It's a nice little routine.  Well, now I have the dog. He is sweet and kind and gentle and I make him sit next to me while I chop or dig.  ( I have a tiny little chair, because I can't really just stand and garden anymore).  There's a family who walks by on Sunday mornings on their way to church.  Very cute. Kinda "fundy" and biblical looking with 4 little children all dressed up in quite the finery.  The children are young, All under 6.  They walk by and we exchange pleasantries. The oldest politely asks if he can pet my dog and my dog goes to say hi. He's all wiggle and squirmand wag; a torrent of gentle enthusiasm. Then they go on their way.  Well, the dog loves this. He loves children.  But then another family came by, this time a cute Hispanic family with two women, and two children. The children maybe 7 and 8.  Well, Mr. Dog is SO excited!! And this time, he disobeyed my command to stay and ran over to greet the children. But they were not delighted. Here was a 100 pound dog loping (charging ) at them with mouth open, and huge rows of sharp, white teeth..(FANGS!)  This family did not smile. This family did not laugh and greet the dog.  They screamed in pure TERROR and they RAN right into the street. I live on a busy street. It is NOT safe to run into the street.  They (the children mostly) were running into the street, shrieking and crying, convinced this monster was going to eat them.  I was mortified. I quickly had the dog and was reassuring them it was ok and I was sorry. I even said it all in Spanish just in case.  They smiled uncertainly but you could see they knew I was wrong about that. Then they crossed the street!  I felt awful.  Now when I garden I take the dog, but he's on a leash because I just can't risk that.

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like those kids have been attacked or had some mean dog charge and scare them before.
I have seen kids hide being their parents in terror when they see me walking with my English mastiff on a leash. And other who instantly want to pet her.
(05-11-2019, 01:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I could be wrong but it sounds to me like those kids have been attacked or had some mean dog charge and scare them before.
I have seen kids hide being their parents in terror when they see me walking with my English mastiff on a leash. And other who instantly want to pet her.

My experience is that Hispanics (not all of course) are often deathly afraid of dogs. I mean like terrified. I asked Mexcian co workers why this is, and have been told that in Mexico, dogs are often feral and running in the streets and are very dangerous. Even if the children haven't experienced this, their parents often have and have taught their children to fear dogs. I think that's part of why I always saw chihuahuas in the homes, because they are small and considered safe and non threatening.
(05-11-2019, 02:08 PM)Juniper Wrote:

My experience is that Hispanics (not all of course) are often deathly afraid of dogs. I mean like terrified. I asked Mexcian co workers why this is, and have been told that in Mexico, dogs are often feral and running in the streets and are very dangerous. Even if the children haven't experienced this, their parents often have and have taught their children to fear dogs. I think that's part of why I always saw chihuahuas in the homes, because they are small and considered safe and non threatening.

My experience is that Hispanics (not all of course) are often deathly afraid of dogs.

Yep I have noticed the very same thing.
(05-11-2019, 02:08 PM)Juniper Wrote:

That makes sense.
A young girl who survived a fatal accident in 2015 joined her classmates on a field trip to Hyatt Lake. The 13-year old was able to search through the woods on an all-terrain wheelchair.
[/url][Image: safe_image.php?d=AQCSTuYEWO7hKEit&w=540&...oMu384-58b]
[url=https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fkobi5.com%2Fnews%2F6th-grader-attends-field-trip-to-hyatt-lake-with-help-of-davids-chair-103116%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR2Xt0dBrUvof5ihVNkRGLDelFX5NVFRTLnFQYsYfenC9R-dONg9nzQYjVo&h=AT0Aemxj15fhG_JZWST55ryuIU0gXyeAlVeRjcuXifQSmeupGOI0A0EWWJY7x09ICLB9gbo4J6QJLAh_pUFp2Hz1sP7immxI7jiitVIQVrWeC0we_2sRrkFEVrN4J8xfegr0GwtELms6fHbKMSHueR8nG5cQVUDRg6FGQqKyygkxJNwQD7X-NhO5MXI7-pIzgc0m8j-RNYi7zSm7-Yp_rR3wrPL486rtfBJ9kW6oOzVUh2qKWGRxVCABrKTsNDZsZp7L3LNv6Tb9EwtZ9jZlop7ye7s8QYa2Ab2LrbRSXVp5hkxZ3HLD7uj7CMA_AsU7jnyfXfdHUkE-pz7JxG_14EVc65IuN6uwhpn4INgdszccYlaEr8kg_mjaBKe0QMEyslpefJm8u1JkqEs33JfZuDfpKUAnAHfjKYFYJ_lKSXrJTJOkxyM-BMrnHGEYudkZX3kbkTYBcUYjVOryD_iepR2tcvzT9kwD9Pk7JacjFVK6miZIIWfvElS5qxPcRFd8pMTv1W_P-22a4YU2WSTW8LTnxJtpIIu4sa4QhNlHUovzmkmGqA4wTu3Fth8-HRRrXryAclDN977uUPSiQ4uUawTFU1qZjY1Wp1j6RGzk7TkF9w6i17JD1YtUK32kSPhJE4oEQ3UxVvq-n3Ynd76qy-uGIYcO1Pdj8cKzLQ]
KOBI-TV NBC5
May 28 at 4:32 PM ·
Police in Curry County said a group of friends stumbled across the body of missing woman Michella Craft.
[/url][Image: safe_image.php?d=AQA9o_-4nc2pQKEH&w=540&...M6XvTLIz6C]
[url=https://l.facebook.com/l.php?u=https%3A%2F%2Fkobi5.com%2Fnews%2Fbody-of-missing-woman-found-in-curry-county-102931%2F%3Ffbclid%3DIwAR0XGfHpU_dR1T6mStA7ZPbTdljEdQql0d9WjCGQ9uzsf4nfdoOX3r8EgYY&h=AT1OcDSO__jvQRBM0348S_o5gCiU_sOBQcBYxqIYU4ndenqwgB6tm3O0xhGVLWYOE_KKuwKWH7A4pwdOHjhdpzN8zO1IQP9o4lulXtwXy8VApxxPkZFq7zYNELSDXaha_BqVgaVyLBGYF4xqjQ8jeG56r2XrxNfl8sXNi9SNGjdJdf3oboHqdUEGK2QEAM0f5O3b_OxONdYhZZ8lWbuKfEJrSfg5EEvMvzTiuWoNd-QvsiiGp_yp72HqLGbLFFz6DEzycXVoUOddsiYRpYLT-geF2KrB3VXFxNk_DDMZvD_0FjkcrUv-aH7Z7WCZZd72rPtzo8Dn4sJfYl33himsCgkIf11JDDFt4MCaFa1UNgCYW_8d4B_h6x_CLWgF6w1rNFw3Zt5bwH3ec713Ix2psd4YbzS2kUv4xDkZK3LvsixMDDUwl6Ehst5OiIV3OCrd_8g4gdLXoAcAYLkiCu9_j0ExovAIAnLlubqMZiaiwB4vv6DAzIw4TzK3zuE_5vgPsklonZbGmc3mPNSEfy8w9C7i6LF-3fcPBuDxbb3pkSWJdxoxMeIOP0M5cf9AameGh9Wrro511k-zMUHDmvFTA7Caov0Hy-f7lP69cFukG6IuaEmmkMt_cFDEgMS-UXo]

About this website
kobi5.com
Body of missing woman found in Curry County - KOBI-TV NBC5 / KOTI-TV NBC2
Trump heads to London amid Brexit furor and political upheaval in Europe. What could go wrong?
-Los Angeles Times

Big Grin
[Image: coyote.jpg]