They shall not grow old and more.
So, it's been a weird week for me.

I took a wild leap and walked away from a soul sucking job.  I didn't know I was going to do it. Well I did, but I didn't know I was going to do it this week or the way that I did it.  And I just bought a house!  WTH?  It's a crazy leap of faith that things have got to get better than this.  So, after a long day of checking in with prospective future professional references for a job search and going to my work to explain to my HR person why I literally just walked off the job and figure out the tatters of my health insurance which is important and scary to figure out, my daughter took me to lunch and then we went to see this film.

They shall not grow old.  A documentary film by Peter Jackson of old archived and restored WW1 footage.  I really have no idea why this film wasn't just on netflix or something, but anyway...it's fascinating how they restored it. They colorized it too, which I typically don't like but they did it really well and looks great and really brought these people to life and made them so relateable. They did a bit at the end of explaining how they did the restoration and adaptation and it's really fascinating stuff.  I'm glad they did the piece at the end explaining it all because it really added something to it.  There's no narration other than first hand accounts from recorded archives.  It was quite remarkable. 

Congratulations on getting out from under a soul sucking job! Life is too short for that kinda bullshit. And... congrats on being a homeowner!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(02-01-2019, 10:26 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Congratulations on getting out from under a soul sucking job! Life is too short for that kinda bullshit. And... congrats on being a homeowner!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Yeah like Scrapper said
F****** a Tweety
I had an ex coworker from there, and texted her to tell her I had resigned. She was so surprised and said "Really? Are you giving notice? Or did you just say "fuck it!" I answered: "Fuck it". She was DELIGHTED!!!
(02-01-2019, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I had an ex coworker from there, and texted her to tell her I had resigned.  She was so surprised and said "Really? Are you giving notice? Or did you just say "fuck it!"  I answered: "Fuck it".  She was DELIGHTED!!!

If I recall right. This was in a building with no AC in the summer.
(02-02-2019, 08:45 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(02-01-2019, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: I had an ex coworker from there, and texted her to tell her I had resigned.  She was so surprised and said "Really? Are you giving notice? Or did you just say "fuck it!"  I answered: "Fuck it".  She was DELIGHTED!!!

Well, there were window AC's but they were like 50 years old, but they really had NOTHING to do with my leaving.  Anyway, a big leap here, because I don't know what I'm going to do.  It's funny how we do things like that in life. I just got up on Thursday morning, walked in, (no one was there yet, I'm usually the first one there) picked up my stuff, packed my boxes, called in, so they knew to get a sub for the day and left. I mean I really needed that job and I was getting raises and it had flexible hours but it was killing me. I would get up every morning and just dread going there.  Now I'll probably have to find a job that pays less and just tighten my belt as I go along and hopefully things will improve. Now I just have to find one.
(02-02-2019, 11:40 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 08:45 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Well, there were window AC's but they were like 50 years old, but they really had NOTHING to do with my leaving.  Anyway, a big leap here, because I don't know what I'm going to do.  It's funny how we do things like that in life. I just got up on Thursday morning, walked in, (no one was there yet, I'm usually the first one there) picked up my stuff, packed my boxes, called in, so they knew to get a sub for the day and left. I mean I really needed that job and I was getting raises and it had flexible hours but it was killing me. I would get up every morning and just dread going there.  Now I'll probably have to find a job that pays less and just tighten my belt as I go along and hopefully things will improve. Now I just have to find one.

I applaud your convictions. I also wish you the best of luck in finding something better for you.

I've quit good paying jobs that really weren't that bad twice in my life. Actually more times but twice without knowing where I was going. I would have probably done well if I had stayed in either of them, I just couldn't see myself doing them long term. In short, one I hated and the other was in a city I really didn't like.

Luckily I always landed on my feet but it wasn't always quickly and I sometimes had to take a temporary "bridge" job to get to where I wanted to be. I never regretted leaving though.

Life's an adventure. Sometimes it sucks and sometimes it's sweet. Hope for the best.
I think Wonky might have appreciate this film.
(02-02-2019, 01:15 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think Wonky might have appreciate this film.

I think Wonky might be in this film.
(02-02-2019, 01:20 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 01:15 PM)Juniper Wrote: I think Wonky might have appreciate this film.

Laughing Big Grin

As funny as that is, Wonky didn't even serve in the second world war, did he?
(02-02-2019, 01:31 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I have no idea. Was he of the Korean War era maybe?? or maybe after?

I was joking of course.
(02-02-2019, 01:42 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I have no idea. Was he of the Korean War era maybe?? or maybe after?

I was joking of course.

I know you were joking....it just got me thinking.  My own dad was in WW2, but I don't think Wonky was Perhaps it was the Korean war for him.

Korea.....

Wonky3 Wrote:

My cousin Luther was a cross dresser and so was his other brother Luther. 

Quonset huts: When I first arrived in Korea I was in a tent. Not bad. Then they moved us into new Quonset huts...an upgrade. But, while they were completely assembled they had neglected to tar the seams and at the first rain we got soaked. They gave us little cans of tar, we build a fire to heat the stuff, and sealed the seams. Worked. 
We had a little tin oil burning stove for the winter, and it was fed by a 50 gal oil drum outside the hut and a rubber feed hose to the stove. When the weather got really cold the oil in the rubber tube froze and the stove was useless. Oh well...they didn't want us to get too soft. 

Boy! That's LOTS more than you wanted to know about quonset huts or anything else. (I was waiting for the ice cubes to be ready and didn't have anything else to do)

Not a day goes by that I don't contemplate doing exactly as you did. The only reason I have not done it yet, kids.....but once they are old enough, perhaps part time jobs, I'm gone.
(02-02-2019, 05:10 PM)GPnative Wrote: Not a day goes by that I don't contemplate doing exactly as you did. The only reason I have not done it yet, kids.....but once they are old enough, perhaps part time jobs, I'm gone.

I can't say I hated my job. Sometimes I did but in a union you can always change where and who you work for.
 And even though I burned out on being an electrician there was no way I could ever conceive of walking away and doing a different kind of work.
Not with the wages and benefits. But when I did quit or I guess you could say I retired. Although I couldn't get social security because I was 59.
I tried making money any way I could and eventually created my own business and I could make as good or better money than as an electrician.
I still can although I don't bother to work at it much anymore simple because I don't need to.

I guess what I'm saying is Maybe I should have went out on my own when I was younger Smiling
(02-02-2019, 05:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 05:10 PM)GPnative Wrote: Not a day goes by that I don't contemplate doing exactly as you did. The only reason I have not done it yet, kids.....but once they are old enough, perhaps part time jobs, I'm gone.

I can't say I hated my job. Sometimes I did but in a union you can always change where and who you work for.
 And even though I burned out on being an electrician there was no way I could ever conceive of walking away and doing a different kind of work.
Not with the wages and benefits. But when I did quit or I guess you could say I retired. Although I couldn't get social security because I was 59.
I tried making money any way I could and eventually created my own business and I could make as good or better money than as an electrician.
I still can although I don't bother to work at it much anymore simple because I don't need to.

I guess what I'm saying is Maybe I should have went out on my own when I was younger Smiling

Mine is an issue of no longer liking the direction of the company and being solidly burned out.  I'm of the longest tenured employees, which used to stand for something, not so any more. I've kicked around a lot of ideas, and I do have plans, but again, choosing to wait until the kids are older. In the meantime, I  just keep my head down and power through.
(02-02-2019, 07:18 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-02-2019, 05:30 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Mine is an issue of no longer liking the direction of the company and being solidly burned out.  I'm of the longest tenured employees, which used to stand for something, not so any more. I've kicked around a lot of ideas, and I do have plans, but again, choosing to wait until the kids are older. In the meantime, I  just keep my head down and power through.

I was one of the ones who started with my company from day one. and eventually other than the owners I had the most seniority.
You would have thought that mattered but it didn't.

I remember being on a big school job all summer long. Being the veteran I was the right hand man of the foreman. He was more than happy to ask me questions and to have me do the more difficultly tasks.
He and I designed and built the main electrical panel room. I went above and beyond simply being an employee. I Brought tools and equipment from home. I never missed a day or was late.

One day when the boss showed up the foreman and I had just unloaded a huge transformer . The guy who estimated the job, the boss, who once was my apprentice showed up. And I heard him ask the foreman about me.. "What's he doing just standing around ?"

I wanted to quit right then and there. I should have.