I love my smart meter
(03-09-2019, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 11:11 AM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-01-2019, 12:57 AM)chuck white Wrote: The meter guy said if your worried about the smart meters, he suggest, tin foil hats.

I thought about that and I'm going to put a tin foil hat on my meter, like he suggested.

That should stop all that RF power from being transmitted out and ruining my mojo.

Well, I did my first tin foil hat test. (aluminum foil to be accurate) My hourly readings seemed to have stopped.
I was motivated by the fact, my smart TV kept crashing. I realized that it started  happening about the time they installed the meter. The meter is just on the other side of wall from my TV. My TV didn't crash after I placed the hat on my meter.

My plan is to leave it off during the day and put in on when I'm home.

If your fucking it up they will be sending someone to replace it.

My hourly readings seemed to have stopped

Seemed to?  Did they or didn't they?

I bet your TV will still crash and bust your conclusion. I did a google search and apparently you are the only person on the planet who has this problem.

I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

I've asked at stores if they have cleaner (not noisy) LED bulbs but they just give me the "deer in the headlights" look or say that can't happen. What do they know, it's consistent and repeatable. When I run out of old incandescent bulbs I'll be screwed.

Is your TV on an antenna? Have you tried a different lamp? If your TV and this lamp OR the other LED bulbs in the room on the same circuit as the TV?

if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away.

It could be that the Led bulb does not fit in the the screw shell the same as the incandescent. I have noticed that.
I have a light fixture in our utility room and the light was hit or miss when you flipped the switch.
The first time my fix was just to twist the bulb in harder.
That worked a while and then the same problem happened. So I took out the bulb and pulled out the little tab a bit in the bottom of the screw shell .
That was the problem

I believe the TV and the lamp causing the problem are on the same circuit but I haven't proven that. Switching the bulb out with the incandescent worked so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot any farther except to try a CF bulb too. It also caused the interference but that didn't surprise me.
(03-09-2019, 05:02 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 04:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 04:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:55 PM)chuck white Wrote: I think you can still get incandescent bulbs at the dollar store.
The power company web site only lets you see yesterday or earlier readings.
I have no readings available for Friday.
If a tin foil hat killed their meter, a lot of people will want to know that.
(It was one of their installers, who suggested the tin foil hat)

. Who said anything about killing the meter? I'm thinking that if the power company is missing readings then they might think something is wrong with the meter and want to come check or replace

It was one of their installers, who suggested the tin foil hat

So what? I talked to my installer fro long enough to know he didn't know shit from apple butter. I though they would have to hire real electricians but  they were just employees of the smart meter company.

You're right about them not knowing shit from apple butter, He probably thought that, I should wear the tin foil hat.
But I know it is more effective for the meter to have the tin foil hat, to protect me from radiation.

It did finally reconnect, it must have some memory. It did end up reporting my hourly usage.
Good to know I didn't bust their meter. Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home.
Number one what makes you think this minuscule amount of radiation will hurt you? Why would you think so when the science says otherwise. And these smart meters are being used all over the world. So the issue of safety has been looked at by countless experts.
And secondly what would stop the radiation from going out the BACK of your meter? There's no tin foil on the back right?

And C... Razz  as far as this Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home

How did you arrive at that conclusion? You don't know for sure because you had foil on the meter that was why your daily usage was not there when you first looked .

You might be right, I haven't looked at the usage site long enough to know if there is a lag in reporting.  I'm assuming by noon, they would have the previous days readings available.
I'll know more as I experiment more.

The back of the meter is metal and I assume they are broadcasting out of the glass of the meter.
Also what makes you think that it's a ' minuscule amount of radiation' ?
Not knowing the frequency, power output, radiation field pattern. I can't say it's not hurting me.

Personally, I'm more pissed off about my wi-fi links crashing. At first I thought the Chinese were messing with the Web. The end of net neutrality might be a factor.
Who knows, but the meter, is something I can experiment with.

what makes you think that it's a ' minuscule amount of radiation' ?

The people who studied this countless times and places all over the world make me think they are right and it's not a dangerous amount of radiation.

Not knowing the frequency, power output, radiation field pattern. I can't say it's not hurting me.

Do you have to have personal knowledge and expertise on everything to decide?
They lied to us about cell phones not being dangerous, Smart meters have much more power then your wi-fi router. They tried to tell me it was the same.

Did they do any study for risk ?

"Do you have to have personal knowledge and expertise on everything to decide? " Yes.

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters...omplaints/
(03-09-2019, 08:14 PM)chuck white Wrote: They lied to us about cell phones not being dangerous, Smart meters have much more power then your wi-fi router. They tried to tell me it was the same.

"Do you have to have personal knowledge and expertise on everything to decide? "   Yes.

http://emfsafetynetwork.org/smart-meters...omplaints/

"Do you have to have personal knowledge and expertise on everything to decide? "   Yes.

Sorry dude but no one has that much expertise in so many different areas. That's why we have people who are experts who went to college, got jobs in their specific area of expertise. And then spent a lifetime working and continuing to learn.

Wow you are seriously asking that question? The risks of harm from Smart meters has been studied by countless organizations in different countries all over the world. Not to mention the World health organization and the The FCC

Several high-level governmental bodies have sponsored blue-ribbon panels to study the issue, but have found no cause for concern. As a 2011 report by the California Council on Science and Technology concludes, “Exposure levels from smart meters are well below the [FCC’s established standards] for such [health] effects,” and “There is no evidence that additional standards are needed to protect the public from smart meters.
https://www.huffingtonpost.com/david-h-b...68405.html

MYTH #2: Smart meters are a health threat because they communicate using wireless signals.
TRUTH: In-depth review of the scientific literature by the World Health Organization (WHO) revealed that the small amount of radio frequency (RF) energy produced by smart meters is not harmful to human health.
TRUTH: RF emitted by smart meters is well below the limits set by Federal Communications Commission and it is below levels produced by other common household devices like cell phones, baby monitors, satellite TVs, and microwaves. In fact, you would have to be exposed to the RF from a smart meter for 375 years to get a dose equivalent to that of one year of 15-minutes-per-day cell phone use.
No credible evidence shows any threat to human health from RF emissions at or below RF exposure limits developed by the FCC. With over 25,000 articles published on the topic over the last 30 years, scientific knowledge in this area is now more extensive than for most chemicals.
(03-09-2019, 06:18 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 05:02 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 04:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 04:10 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 03:48 PM)tvguy Wrote: . Who said anything about killing the meter? I'm thinking that if the power company is missing readings then they might think something is wrong with the meter and want to come check or replace

It was one of their installers, who suggested the tin foil hat

So what? I talked to my installer fro long enough to know he didn't know shit from apple butter. I though they would have to hire real electricians but  they were just employees of the smart meter company.

You're right about them not knowing shit from apple butter, He probably thought that, I should wear the tin foil hat.
But I know it is more effective for the meter to have the tin foil hat, to protect me from radiation.

It did finally reconnect, it must have some memory. It did end up reporting my hourly usage.
Good to know I didn't bust their meter. Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home.
Number one what makes you think this minuscule amount of radiation will hurt you? Why would you think so when the science says otherwise. And these smart meters are being used all over the world. So the issue of safety has been looked at by countless experts.
And secondly what would stop the radiation from going out the BACK of your meter? There's no tin foil on the back right?

And C... Razz  as far as this Also good to know I can stop the radiation while I'm home

How did you arrive at that conclusion? You don't know for sure because you had foil on the meter that was why your daily usage was not there when you first looked .

You might be right, I haven't looked at the usage site long enough to know if there is a lag in reporting.  I'm assuming by noon, they would have the previous days readings available.
I'll know more as I experiment more.

The back of the meter is metal and I assume they are broadcasting out of the glass of the meter.
Also what makes you think that it's a ' minuscule amount of radiation' ?

Personally, I'm more pissed off about my wi-fi links crashing. At first I thought the Chinese were messing with the Web. The end of net neutrality might be a factor.
Who knows, but the meter, is something I can experiment with.

Personally I'd be more concerned using a cell phone in close proximity to my head then an electric meter outside phoning home. The signal power drops pretty dramatically with distance.
There you go citing facts again. These Nuts don’t want to hear from you!
Smiling
(03-09-2019, 06:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 11:11 AM)chuck white Wrote: Well, I did my first tin foil hat test. (aluminum foil to be accurate) My hourly readings seemed to have stopped.
I was motivated by the fact, my smart TV kept crashing. I realized that it started  happening about the time they installed the meter. The meter is just on the other side of wall from my TV. My TV didn't crash after I placed the hat on my meter.

My plan is to leave it off during the day and put in on when I'm home.

If your fucking it up they will be sending someone to replace it.

I bet your TV will still crash and bust your conclusion. I did a google search and apparently you are the only person on the planet who has this problem.

I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

I've asked at stores if they have cleaner (not noisy) LED bulbs but they just give me the "deer in the headlights" look or say that can't happen. What do they know, it's consistent and repeatable. When I run out of old incandescent bulbs I'll be screwed.

Is your TV on an antenna? Have you tried a different lamp? If your TV and this lamp OR the other LED bulbs in the room on the same circuit as the TV?

It could be that the Led bulb does not fit in the the screw shell the same as the incandescent. I have noticed that.
I have a light fixture in our utility room and the light was hit or miss when you flipped the switch.
That worked a while and then the same problem happened. So I took out the bulb and pulled out the little tab a bit in the bottom of the screw shell .
That was the problem

I believe the TV and the lamp causing the problem are on the same circuit but I haven't proven that. Switching the bulb out with the incandescent worked so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot any farther except to try a CF bulb too. It also caused the interference but that didn't surprise me.
I've always kept the lighting circuits separate from receptacles. Most electricians do even though it's not a requirement.
I have no idea if this difference in the shapes is causing your or CW's problem but it has caused me problems.
As you can see the LED bulb (top) has a shoulder that can prevent the bulb from screwing in as far as the incandescent.

[Image: led-1.jpg]

[Image: LED-NOT.jpg]
(03-10-2019, 10:04 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: If your fucking it up they will be sending someone to replace it.

That was the problem

I've always kept the lighting circuits separate from receptacles. Most electricians do even though it's not a requirement.
I have no idea if this difference in the shapes is causing your or CW's problem but it has caused me problems.
As you can see the LED bulb (top) has a shoulder that can prevent the bulb from screwing in as far as the incandescent.

[Image: led-1.jpg] [Image: LED-NOT.jpg]

In this case both are powered from receptacles, but different ones of course. I checked the shoulder on the bulbs and the contact tang in the socket (both good calls by the way) and neither appear to be an issue.

Incandescent bulbs inside are just simple heating elements that give off light too. CF and LED bulbs have small circuits inside that are essentially switching power supplies to operate their lighting elements. I think that is what is causing my problem somehow. Switching power supplies generate a fair amount of switching noise that needs to be filtered out, which is extra cost of course. Since they want to make these bulbs as cheaply as possible I'm guessing they scrimp a bit on the filters.

I may be having this problem because I'm not using cable or a satellite receiver both of which would provide a stronger TV signal then my over the air antenna. Of course, I could be overthinking this even though I always try to remind myself to "check the easy stuff first" when troubleshooting. Thing is it's ALWAYS the last thing you check that is the problem and apparently I haven't gotten to that one yet.
(03-10-2019, 11:05 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 12:40 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I haven't seen that happen but I wouldn't say it couldn't happen. I have a somewhat similar problem. My TV noises up and looses signal when I turn on a lamp. It's just one lamp in particular with an LED bulb in it. None of the other LED bulbs in the room do it and if I change out the bulb with an incandescent bulb the problem goes away. The trouble is I can't find incandescent bulbs anymore.

That was the problem

In this case both are powered from receptacles, but different ones of course. I checked the shoulder on the bulbs and the contact tang in the socket (both good calls by the way) and neither appear to be an issue.

Incandescent bulbs inside are just simple heating elements that give off light too. CF and LED bulbs have small circuits inside that are essentially switching power supplies to operate their lighting elements. I think that is what is causing my problem somehow. Switching power supplies generate a fair amount of switching noise that needs to be filtered out, which is extra cost of course. Since they want to make these bulbs as cheaply as possible I'm guessing they scrimp a bit on the filters.

I may be having this problem because I'm not using cable or a satellite receiver both of which would provide a stronger TV signal then my over the air antenna. Of course, I could be overthinking this even though I always try to remind myself to "check the easy stuff first" when troubleshooting. Thing is it's ALWAYS the last thing  you check that is the problem and apparently I haven't gotten to that one yet.
LOL I think the first question I asked was if you had an antenna. I remember as a kid in the 1960's there were certain cars that drove by our house that messed up our TV reception.

What about trying one of these....

[Image: antenna-filter.jpg]
(03-10-2019, 11:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 03:51 PM)tvguy Wrote: Is your TV on an antenna? Have you tried a different lamp? If your TV and this lamp OR the other LED bulbs in the room on the same circuit as the TV?

That was the problem

I may be having this problem because I'm not using cable or a satellite receiver both of which would provide a stronger TV signal then my over the air antenna. Of course, I could be overthinking this even though I always try to remind myself to "check the easy stuff first" when troubleshooting. Thing is it's ALWAYS the last thing  you check that is the problem and apparently I haven't gotten to that one yet.
LOL I think the first question I asked was if you had an antenna. I remember as a kid in the 1960's there were certain cars that drove by our house that messed up our TV reception.

The cars driving by were probably causing reflections and cancelling out the signal, multipath fade. Or they had REALLY noisy generators!   Surprised

One thing I'm pretty certain of is I don't have LTE signal interference. And putting a filter in an already weak signal path will only make it weaker. Besides that would increase the total cost of my home brew antenna to $22.50!! Outrageous!   Laughing

So far the incandescent bulb has solved the problem for $0. I'm satisfied with that though I'll admit I do like the challenge of troubleshooting.
(03-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-09-2019, 06:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I believe the TV and the lamp causing the problem are on the same circuit but I haven't proven that. Switching the bulb out with the incandescent worked so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot any farther except to try a CF bulb too. It also caused the interference but that didn't surprise me.

The cars driving by were probably causing reflections and cancelling out the signal, multipath fade. Or they had REALLY noisy generators!   Surprised

One thing I'm pretty certain of is I don't have LTE signal interference. And putting a filter in an already weak signal path will only make it weaker. Besides that would increase the total cost of my home brew antenna by $22.50!! Outrageous!   Laughing

So far the incandescent bulb has solved the problem for $0. I'm satisfied with that though I'll admit I do like the challenge of troubleshooting.

The cars driving by were probably causing reflections and cancelling out the signal.

I don't think so because specific cars were a lot more of a problem than others. I think we even notice certain makes of cars were were.. I believe it was Fords.

Anyway you found a simple fix your problem but I think you can get a diffrent LED that would fix the issue.

I saw this in response to someone with your exact problem........... Better LEDs are sheilded as is the requirement in Europe.  US has lower standards to increase profitability.  Choose EMC compliant bulbs from companies like Philips.  

Before you upgrade bulbs try using ferrite clips.  They block interference.  Their easy, clip them to your power cables for both the TV and LEDs.  Moving the lights further away from the tv or plugging into a different circuit can help.  
(03-10-2019, 12:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 10:04 AM)tvguy Wrote: I've always kept the lighting circuits separate from receptacles. Most electricians do even though it's not a requirement.

One thing I'm pretty certain of is I don't have LTE signal interference. And putting a filter in an already weak signal path will only make it weaker. Besides that would increase the total cost of my home brew antenna by $22.50!! Outrageous!   Laughing

The cars driving by were probably causing reflections and cancelling out the signal.

I don't think so because specific cars were a lot more of a problem than others. I think we even notice certain makes of cars were were.. I believe it was Fords.

Anyway you found a simple fix your problem but I think you can get a diffrent LED that would fix the issue.

I saw this in response to someone with your exact problem........... Better LEDs are sheilded as is the requirement in Europe.  US has lower standards to increase profitability.  Choose EMC compliant bulbs from companies like Philips.  

Before you upgrade bulbs try using ferrite clips.  They block interference.  Their easy, clip them to your power cables for both the TV and LEDs.  Moving the lights further away from the tv or plugging into a different circuit can help.  

That's pretty much what I was thinking, better LEDs. But when I was at the store I think all the packages claimed to be EMC complaint. Maybe some are more complaint then others but you can't tell by looking. Next time I buy bulbs I'll try Philips.

I did try a ferrite on the AC cord, because I had one. That didn't help.
(03-09-2019, 06:23 PM)Cuzz Wrote: I believe the TV and the lamp causing the problem are on the same circuit but I haven't proven that. Switching the bulb out with the incandescent worked so I haven't bothered to troubleshoot any farther except to try a CF bulb too. It also caused the interference but that didn't surprise me.

One thing I'm pretty certain of is I don't have LTE signal interference. And putting a filter in an already weak signal path will only make it weaker. Besides that would increase the total cost of my home brew antenna to $22.50!! Outrageous!   Laughing

I had the same thing happen when i swapped a kitchen light over to a integrated led fixture. With the light on we would lose ota tv signals. I tried several things,  including the antenna on an extension cord on a different circuit, nothing worked, almost ditched the light but then solved it  by finally just installing an outdoor ota antenna instead of the indoor one that was always more prone to interference in the first place. So we are still using the obvious noisy led fixture, but no noticeable issues now.
(03-10-2019, 06:21 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 10:04 AM)tvguy Wrote: I've always kept the lighting circuits separate from receptacles. Most electricians do even though it's not a requirement.

I had the same thing happen when i swapped a kitchen light over to a integrated led fixture. With the light on we would lose ota tv signals. I tried several things,  including the antenna on an extension cord on a different circuit, nothing worked, almost ditched the light but then solved it  by finally just installing an outdoor ota antenna instead of the indoor one that was always more prone to interference in the first place. So we are still using the obvious noisy led fixture, but no noticeable issues now.
Good idea with the outdoor antenna. My TV had a tiny antenna about 6 in long that hooks in to the antenna output jack.

I put my TV on antenna and I turned off and off my LED lights and it had no affect.

But here's the strange thing I have a sound bar. When my wife is asleep I set it up on a box so it's above the end of my couch. That way I don't have to turn the volume up as much.
But when I do that it screws my reception up big time Confused
(03-11-2019, 01:21 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:05 AM)Cuzz Wrote: In this case both are powered from receptacles, but different ones of course. I checked the shoulder on the bulbs and the contact tang in the socket (both good calls by the way) and neither appear to be an issue.

Good idea with the outdoor antenna. My TV had a tiny antenna about 6 in long that hooks in to the antenna output jack.

I put my TV on antenna and I turned off and off my LED lights and it had no affect.

But here's the strange thing I have a sound bar. When my wife is asleep I set it up on a box so it's above the end of my couch. That way I don't have to turn the volume up as much.

Is it wireless? My laptop wifi will interfere with my ota TV sometimes.
(03-11-2019, 05:02 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:28 AM)tvguy Wrote: LOL I think the first question I asked was if you had an antenna. I remember as a kid in the 1960's there were certain cars that drove by our house that messed up our TV reception.

No it's not wireless. I wish it was.
(03-11-2019, 05:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 11:58 AM)Cuzz Wrote: The cars driving by were probably causing reflections and cancelling out the signal, multipath fade. Or they had REALLY noisy generators!   Surprised

A pair of Kleins will fix that. The sound will be attenuated but it'll be wireless!   Razz
(03-11-2019, 05:49 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(03-11-2019, 05:45 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-10-2019, 06:21 PM)GPnative Wrote: I had the same thing happen when i swapped a kitchen light over to a integrated led fixture. With the light on we would lose ota tv signals. I tried several things,  including the antenna on an extension cord on a different circuit, nothing worked, almost ditched the light but then solved it  by finally just installing an outdoor ota antenna instead of the indoor one that was always more prone to interference in the first place. So we are still using the obvious noisy led fixture, but no noticeable issues now.

A pair of Kleins will fix that. The sound will be attenuated but it'll be wireless!   Razz
Laughing  I never watch TV using my antenna anyway. I was just curious if my LED lights would affect it