Homophobe?
Ok... so this post is a little tongue on cheek.

Years ago, my sister said I was a homophobe. Her sole reason was because I had no interest in paying money to see Brokeback Mountain. The truth is that I am a little repulsed by seeing sexual affection between men. I don't really care what they do but I don't want to watch it. To me... it's like watching someone eat a meal that I would never eat... like live maggots or something. Live maggots might be high in nutrition and very tasty to those that imbibe... but really... eat them over there------>

So now I am trying to find a movie to watch. I've never seen the Dark Knight. By all accounts it is an all time great. But Heath Ledger was in Brokeback Mountain. If I don't enjoy a movie by a guy that starred in a different movie about gay men... what does that make me? Homophobe in law? Homophobe by association? Homophobe twice removed. And Heaven forbid I enjoy the Dark Knight! Does that mean I am gay? Bi- curious? Open minded? Metro sexual? Then what? Will you find me watching Brokeback Mountain with my pants down?

Maybe sis was right.  Twitch
I though this was about two words that sound the same, but have different meanings...
(03-08-2019, 08:00 PM)chuck white Wrote: I though this was about two words that sound the same, but have different meanings...

Your guess is as good as mine. I was a little lit last night.
(03-08-2019, 07:12 PM)GCG Wrote: Ok... so this post is a little tongue on cheek.

Years ago, my sister said I was a homophobe. Her sole reason was because I had no interest in paying money to see Brokeback Mountain. The truth is that I am a little repulsed by seeing sexual affection between men. I don't really care what they do but I don't want to watch it. To me... it's like watching someone eat a meal that I would never eat... like live maggots or something. Live maggots might be high in nutrition and very tasty to those that imbibe... but really... eat them over there------>

So now I am trying to find a movie to watch. I've never seen the Dark Knight. By all accounts it is an all time great. But Heath Ledger was in Brokeback Mountain. If I don't enjoy a movie by a guy that starred in a different movie about gay men... what does that make me? Homophobe in law? Homophobe by association? Homophobe twice removed. And Heaven forbid I enjoy the Dark Knight! Does that mean I am gay? Bi- curious? Open minded? Metro sexual? Then what? Will you find me watching Brokeback Mountain with my pants down?

If I don't enjoy a movie by a guy that starred in a different movie about gay men... what does that make me?

That depends on why you didn't like the movie. You didn't say why. If you didn't like the movie solely because it had Heath Ledger who played a gay guy in another movie then yes you are Homophobic.
Otherwise you are Studly Duright and all manlyness like me Razz

BTW, I can't say I didn't like the movie but using Juniper's method of rating it wasn't all that great.
Because I don't remember anything about it.  Big Grin

Could be you're a bit maggot phobic too.
(03-09-2019, 09:39 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-08-2019, 07:12 PM)GCG Wrote: Ok... so this post is a little tongue on cheek.

If I don't enjoy a movie by a guy that starred in a different movie about gay men... what does that make me?

That depends on why you didn't like the movie. You didn't say why. If you didn't like the movie solely because it had Heath Ledger who played a gay guy in another movie then yes you are Homophobic.

BTW, I can't say I didn't like the movie but using Juniper's method of rating it wasn't all that great.

Honestly I was just bored and a little drunk when I typed that. I've never seen the Dark Knight but mostly because I don't like superhero movies. The part about me being repulsed by man on man sexual affection is true. Do what you want in that arena... but I'm not a spectator.
(03-09-2019, 10:03 AM)chuck white Wrote: Could be you're a bit maggot phobic too.

Maybe more of a maggoteateraphobe
(03-09-2019, 07:01 PM)GCG Wrote:

Honestly I was just bored and a little drunk when I typed that. I've never seen the Dark Knight but mostly because I don't like superhero movies. The part about me being repulsed by man on man sexual affection is true. Do what you want in that arena... but I'm not a spectator.
The part about me being repulsed by man on man sexual affection is true.
I'm OK with the affection but NO I don't want to see anything physical.

The truth is I'm sick of seeing gays on TV period. IMO they are way over represented. If I were to believe TV I would think every single family or group of friends had a gay person.

Maybe a little.

FWIW I found virtually every man I knew to have that attitude about seeing that film no matter how 'open minded' they were. It was a good film. It was, at it's base a love story. And the "physical affection" part was so minimal, and nonspecific. We see SO much more explicit stuff now, even just on network television.  What you see in Brokeback Mountain is hardly a suggestion. It was a very well written film.  Larry McMurtry had a hand in it, and the correlations between these characters and Gus and Call in Lonesome Dove are quite apparent to me.  I think a lot of people missed a very well written and acted work when they let their squeamishness prevent them from seeing this film. It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even acknoweldging homosexuality in mainstream film making.

Which movie?  Because I remember Brokeback Mountain quite well, but can't say the same for Dark Knight.  BB also filled other rating requirements for me: I thought about it afterward and pondered it. I never questioned whether I left the garage light on at home, so it was engaging to me and I believed it and I cared about the characters.   Dark Knight on the other hand...I just remember Heath's make up.
Quote:The truth is I'm sick of seeing gays on TV period. IMO they are way over represented. If I were to believe TV I would think every single family or group of friends had a gay person.

I can kind of understand this. There is a tendency towards inclusion overkill. Virtually every show has to have a gay inclusion. Especially in dramas.  They are de reguer.
(03-12-2019, 10:11 AM)Juniper Wrote:

Maybe a little.

FWIW I found virtually every man I knew to have that attitude about seeing that film no matter how 'open minded' they were. It was a good film. It was, at it's base a love story. And the "physical affection" part was so minimal, and nonspecific. We see SO much more explicit stuff now, even just on network television.  What you see in Brokeback Mountain is hardly a suggestion. It was a very well written film.  Larry McMurtry had a hand in it, and the correlations between these characters and Gus and Call in Lonesome Dove are quite apparent to me.  I think a lot of people missed a very well written and acted work when they let their squeamishness prevent them from seeing this film. It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even acknoweldging homosexuality in mainstream film making.
I did see it and using YOUR standards it was not all that great because I can't remember anything about it LOL

It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even acknoweldging homosexuality in mainstream film making.uality in mainstream film making.

As far as all that I think I can speak for a lot of men when I say I don't give a rats ass about acknowledging homosexuality.

It's WAY over acknowledged in movies and TV IMO . If someone just came out of a coma and started learning by watching TV they would think 30% of us are gay and 50% are black. Laughing Laughing

And every group of 3 or 4 toddlers had an Asian kid Razz
(03-12-2019, 11:43 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Maybe a little.

I did see it and using YOUR standards it was not all that great because I can't remember anything about it LOL

It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even It was well done and also brave.  And ground breaking. They broke the field right open when it came to even acknoweldging homosexuality in mainstream film making.uality in mainstream film making.

As far as all that I think I can speak for a lot of men when I say I don't give a rats ass about acknowledging homosexuality.

It's WAY over acknowledged in movies and TV IMO . If someone just came out of a coma and started learning by watching TV they would think 30% of us are gay and 50% are black. Laughing Laughing

Yes, I acknowledged that in the post above that one.
(03-12-2019, 04:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 11:43 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Maybe a little.

Yes, I acknowledged that in the post above that one.

Yes you did and somehow until now I didn't see your post. Smiling