Weird. But weird enough?
I saw something kind of weird today.  Strange.  I was coming from the preschool that's hidden way back on international way behind the airport. There's a part there on Coker Butte that's kind of an isolated spot under a trestle.  As I was coming back and got to the trestle there was a white truck there with a guy inside. It was parked off the road but kind of under the trestle. The guy had some pretty powerful binoculars and was pointing them the direction I had come in.  I thought it was weird. Was he watching the airport?  Looking at planes and aircraft?  He could just as easily have been watching the school for all I know.  I didn't do anything, or call anyone, but should I have? Do people often just watch the airport hidden but not quite hidden under trestles? He made no effort to conceal what he was doing.
(03-12-2019, 04:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I saw something kind of weird today.  Strange.  I was coming from the preschool that's hidden way back on international way behind the airport. There's a part there on Coker Butte that's kind of an isolated spot under a trestle.  As I was coming back and got to the trestle there was a white truck there with a guy inside. It was parked off the road but kind of under the trestle. The guy had some pretty powerful binoculars and was pointing them the direction I had come in.  I thought it was weird. Was he watching the airport?  Looking at planes and aircraft?  He could just as easily have been watching the school for all I know.  I didn't do anything, or call anyone, but should I have? Do people often just watch the airport hidden but not quite hidden under trestles? He made no effort to conceal what he was doing.

I'm assuming he must have been near or under what will be part of the by-pass? Was he maybe watching that work going on? I have to think that there are a lot of cameras set up all around the airport for obvious reasons. I would be willing to bet that he was being watched.
(03-12-2019, 06:01 PM)GCG Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 04:26 PM)Juniper Wrote: I saw something kind of weird today.  Strange.  I was coming from the preschool that's hidden way back on international way behind the airport. There's a part there on Coker Butte that's kind of an isolated spot under a trestle.  As I was coming back and got to the trestle there was a white truck there with a guy inside. It was parked off the road but kind of under the trestle. The guy had some pretty powerful binoculars and was pointing them the direction I had come in.  I thought it was weird. Was he watching the airport?  Looking at planes and aircraft?  He could just as easily have been watching the school for all I know.  I didn't do anything, or call anyone, but should I have? Do people often just watch the airport hidden but not quite hidden under trestles? He made no effort to conceal what he was doing.

I'm assuming he must have been near or under what will be part of the by-pass? Was he maybe watching that work going on? I have to think that there are a lot of cameras set up all around the airport for obvious reasons. I would be willing to bet that he was being watched.

Hmmmm....  Being watched from where?  He was in kind of tucked away location. The airport property is actually quite large, but huge areas of it are just bare land.  Basically from where Coker Butte ends and looking east. It's interesting to wonder if he was being watched himself.  You can see that location on a google map. Sort of remote.
Was it a white guy?
(03-13-2019, 06:37 AM)chuck white Wrote: Was it a white guy?

Would that be good or bad?  Big Grin

Absolutely not, the guy was breaking no laws. Maybe he is a fan of aviation, maybe he is a bird watcher. Maybe he is a surveyor, perhaps a trestle inspector, Don't fall for the If you see something say something nonsense. There is plenty of reasons for him to be doing what he was doing and the last thing he needs is some Joe Public playing PI and calling the cops on him.
I see people plane watching quite often. I've done the same thing trying to get cool pics of the fire retardant bombers.
Or it could be that one of those HUGE cargo planes was coming and the guy knew this.
If he was looking east then there's nothing to see but the airport. If he was looking other directions IMO he was just messing around until a plane came or went.

Also I think he could have been under the bridge because it was raining off and on.

I didn't do anything, or call anyone, but should I have?

I wouldn't have. You could photograph his license plate if you really thought something illegal was happening.
I love having a dash cam for things like that.
(03-12-2019, 06:12 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(03-12-2019, 06:01 PM)GCG Wrote:

Hmmmm....  Being watched from where?  He was in kind of tucked away location. The airport property is actually quite large, but huge areas of it are just bare land.  Basically from where Coker Butte ends and looking east. It's interesting to wonder if he was being watched himself.  You can see that location on a google map. Sort of remote.

You can see that location on a google map. Sort of remote.

It used to be even more remote, Where the trestle is now there used to be the old weigh station for the Haul road.
In the past you could turn right by Vilas Auto wrecking and drive down and even go past the weigh  station.
Then they put a gate up so I would go to the next road down ( where the taxi driver was murdered) from there could go to the haul road or go in the back way to the road that leads to Costco. Four wheelers tore it up pretty bad but my Subaru would still make it LOL. I did however snap my front sway bar there Sad
My dog loved that area. Tons of jack rabbits and squirrels to chase.
(03-13-2019, 10:03 AM)GPnative Wrote:

Absolutely not, the guy was breaking no laws. Maybe he is a fan of aviation, maybe he is a bird watcher. Maybe he is a surveyor, perhaps a trestle inspector, Don't fall for the If you see something say something nonsense. There is plenty of reasons for him to be doing what he was doing and the last thing he needs is some Joe Public playing PI and calling the cops on him.

So it was YOU!
Was it this truck??   Laughing

[Image: 78-truck-b.jpg]
(03-13-2019, 10:28 AM)tvguy Wrote:
I see people plane watching quite often. I've done the same thing trying to get cool pics of the fire retardant bombers.
Or it could be that one of those HUGE cargo planes was coming and the guy knew this.
If he was looking east then there's nothing to see but the airport. If he was looking other directions IMO he was just messing around until a plane came or went.

Also I think he could have been under the bridge because it was raining off and on.

I didn't do anything, or call anyone, but should I have?

I wouldn't have. You could photograph his license plate if you really thought something illegal was happening.
I love having a dash cam for things like that.

Well, I did nothing. My thought was there could be lots of reasons why. It was just interesting that's all.
When sun shades for car windows first came out, One side said 'call the police' . Funny how many times I would see that in the window facing out.
I never called the police, but I was tempted, just for fun.
(03-13-2019, 05:41 PM)GCG Wrote:
(03-13-2019, 10:03 AM)GPnative Wrote:

So it was YOU!

Damn, you are on to me. Truth is I was looking for Bigfoot and I was informed by a reliable source that he likes to watch planes land.
(03-13-2019, 05:58 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Was it this truck??   Laughing

[Image: 78-truck-b.jpg]

Hey wait a tic!! Laughing