If you like OG Zuppa Toscana soup...
... here is a great recipe for it:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-id...a-recipe/?

I am no fan of the Olive Garden but I do love this soup. I am making a batch right now.
(06-09-2019, 04:09 PM)GCG Wrote: ... here is a great recipe for it:

https://www.delish.com/cooking/recipe-id...a-recipe/?

I am no fan of the Olive Garden but I do love this soup. I am making a batch right now.

I do like to make homemade soups...but if I do, I have to put it in a container and just I have it for the week! Or freeze some. Nobody having it but me.  I love 'peasant' food!
I was trying to figure out why an original ganstah would be making an Italian Soup.
No kale for me!
I sub Kale in any recipe that calls for Spinach. We love it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've never had kale in anything other than this soup. I pretty much avoid all green foods... except green jelly beans and M&Ms. Maybe because my mom used to cram canned green beans down my throat. I still gag when I smell them.
(06-10-2019, 11:25 AM)GCG Wrote: I've never had kale in anything other than this soup. I pretty much avoid all green foods... except green jelly beans and M&Ms. Maybe because my mom used to cram canned green beans down my throat. I still gag when I smell them.

Mix a little bacon grease in those canned green beans Wink

I pretty much avoid all green foods.

You're kidding right? Surprised   I love a good fresh salad especially if it has tomatoes and hard boiled eggs and that fake crab '''pollack or maybe some ham.
Not what I would think of for goulash. I think of beef, maybe a round steak for a goulash...Do they even call it round steak anymore? Seems to be an out of fashion kind of meat. I don't care for kale much. I'd take spinach any day over kale. Kale to me, just doesn't taste very good.
(06-10-2019, 11:25 AM)GCG Wrote: I've never had kale in anything other than this soup. I pretty much avoid all green foods... except green jelly beans and M&Ms. Maybe because my mom used to cram canned green beans down my throat. I still gag when I smell them.

That's because canned green beans are only marginally food.  Although bacon is a great addition.  What about avocado?  I love avocado. It's green.
(06-10-2019, 12:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:

You're kidding right? Surprised   I love a good fresh salad especially if it has tomatoes and hard boiled eggs and that fake crab '''pollack or maybe some ham.
Yeah, I'm kidding. I eat green salad almost daily. I'm not talking iceburg lettuce and dressing. We make good healthy salads. But there are very few cooked green vegetables that I care for. I'll eat almost any veggie raw.
Green is good... unless it's growing fuzz!

I love salads with tons of goodies on it! Love Kale, Asparagus, Brussels Sprouts, Broccoli, Bok Choy, Zucchini, Cabbage, Green Onions, Artichokes, Snap Peas, Peas... even Green Beans!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(06-10-2019, 01:44 PM)GCG Wrote:

Yeah, I'm kidding. I eat green salad almost daily. I'm not talking iceburg lettuce and dressing. We make good healthy salads. But there are very few cooked green vegetables that I care for. I'll eat almost any veggie raw.

I need to plant some veggies while there's still time.  I love to eat raw vegetables while I'm actually in the garden. Snow peas.. There's nothing like a young carrot pulled out right of the ground .
Even green beans, open the pods and eat the beans.
(06-10-2019, 02:55 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 01:44 PM)GCG Wrote:

I need to plant some veggies while there's still time.  I love to eat raw vegetables while I'm actually in the garden. Snow peas.. There's nothing like a young carrot pulled out right of the ground .
Even green beans, open the pods and eat the beans.
I have one lonely tomato.  And some lettuce. I had some lettuce in a salad last night.
(06-10-2019, 01:43 PM)Juniper Wrote:

That's because canned green beans are only marginally food.  Although bacon is a great addition.  What about avocado?  I love avocado. It's green.

Avocado is one of my favorite foods. But its so hard to get a really good one. Even the ones that look great when you slice into them, often taste like water. It's a bitch to spend so much on a fruit and end up with garbage. I once heard that the best way to know what the inside of an avocado will look like is by popping the button off of the end. That will tell you whether its got any brown inside. I've found that test does hold up but that still doesn't tell you if its got great flavor.
(06-10-2019, 04:57 PM)GCG Wrote:

Avocado is one of my favorite foods. But its so hard to get a really good one. Even the ones that look great when you slice into them, often taste like water. It's a bitch to spend so much on a fruit and end up with garbage. I once heard that the best way to know what the inside of an avocado will look like is by popping the button off of the end. That will tell you whether its got any brown inside. I've found that test does hold up but that still doesn't tell you if its got great flavor.

Hmmmm....I don't know...I guess it's like any fruit. But it's an expensive one.
(06-10-2019, 05:16 PM)Juniper Wrote:

The pre-packaged avocados and guacamole, (such as Calavo),  are surprisingly good. After years assuming that packaged avocado was crap, I was finally persuaded to try some of the modern stuff. I'm pretty damn finicky but I'll vouch for Calavo and even Kirkland, (Costco), packaged avocado.

By the way, my soup was a big hit! But I was careful to make a giant mess so my wife would regret forcing me to make it. I offered to clean up but I got pushed aside.  Big Grin Eyebrows Fine by me.
(06-10-2019, 05:34 PM)GCG Wrote:

The pre-packaged avocados and guacamole, (such as Calavo),  are surprisingly good. After years assuming that packaged avocado was crap, I was finally persuaded to try some of the modern stuff. I'm pretty damn finicky but I'll vouch for Calavo and even Kirkland, (Costco), packaged avocado.

By the way, my soup was a big hit! But I was careful to make a giant mess so my wife would regret forcing me to make it. I offered to clean up but I got pushed aside.  Big Grin Eyebrows Fine by me.
I'm skeptical of packaged avocado also. I think this comes from growing up with fresh ones.  But I consistently see it on the shelves, so, it must sell. I've seen the frozen whole ones (well, peeled and cut in half) at stores, and am even more highly skeptical.  Have you tried those?

Of course, the soup was good. What's not to love. Well...maybe not the kale, but I'd still eat it.
(06-10-2019, 10:17 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 05:34 PM)GCG Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 01:43 PM)Juniper Wrote: That's because canned green beans are only marginally food.  Although bacon is a great addition.  What about avocado?  I love avocado. It's green.

I'm skeptical of packaged avocado also. I think this comes from growing up with fresh ones.  But I consistently see it on the shelves, so, it must sell. I've seen the frozen whole ones (well, peeled and cut in half) at stores, and am even more highly skeptical.  Have you tried those?

Of course, the soup was good. What's not to love. Well...maybe not the kale, but I'd still eat it.

I have tried the frozen avocados in smoothies but, I can't really comment on the flavor because of the other ingredients,
I don't know how to tell if an avocado is ripe. I know the black ones are better than the green ones. And it has to be fairly soft when you buy one.
A friend and I lived off of nothing but avocados and Oranges for about 4 days when we were bums/hippies living on the road in So Cal back in the 70's Laughing
(06-11-2019, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know how to tell if an avocado is ripe. I know the black ones are better than the green ones. And it has to be fairly soft when you buy one.
A friend and I lived off of nothing but avocados and Oranges for about 4 days when we were bums/hippies living on the road in So Cal back in the 70's Laughing

Only Hass.  That's my motto!  Big Grin
(06-11-2019, 03:28 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 12:54 PM)tvguy Wrote: I don't know how to tell if an avocado is ripe. I know the black ones are better than the green ones. And it has to be fairly soft when you buy one.

Only Hass.  That's my motto!  Big Grin

I think you are right